What's Your Heritage?

Jashawn R.

lol... Funny story... There was this Peruvian guy in my old office. He hated anyone knowing that he was Latino, so I saw him in the bathroom one day and we're at the sink washing our hands and I'm thinking to myself "What is this guy"? Being mixed myself and a linguist I'm always intrigued by people's backgrounds, so I asked him and he gave me some answer but didn't quite answer my question. Something like a mixture of things or something... If you saw his features he had reddish cheeks and he didn't look quite white IMO. Anywho in talking to a Project Manager that works with him, I found out that he was Peruvian and then when I thought about it and thought about his last name "Ferrer" and how he looked I said to myself. You idiot, with a name like Ferrer of course he is Latino! lol His first name was Harold (Gringo name), so maybe that's why it didn't jump out to me at first.

LOL.... Every now and then, You'll get folks who don't like their own race.... Reminds me of the "The Boondocks" There is a character who's name is Uncle Ruckus.... He's black but he hates his own race.... The hate came from his mom who was the same way if not worse....

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL.... Every now and then, You'll get folks who don't like their own race.... Reminds me of the "The Boondocks" There is a character who's name is Uncle Ruckus.... He's black but he hates his own race.... The hate came from his mom who was the same way if not worse....

lol

I have too... I'm pretty light-skinned for a Latino dude... It's rare but I too have seen PR dudes with blue-green eyes... My eyes are Brown...

I am light skinned too and I have a Black-Caribbean mix as well.. I have brown eyes but I have a cousin with green eyes and he is from PR

Nice to see another person from PR here! :)

I am light skinned too and I have a Black-Caribbean mix as well.. I have brown eyes but I have a cousin with green eyes and he is from PR

That's cool... For the record I was born here in NYC but if you mean that you're glad to see another PR person in the forums, I agree! :)

Ditto.

I have too... I'm pretty light-skinned for a Latino dude... It's rare but I too have seen PR dudes with blue-green eyes... My eyes are Brown...

I'm kind of wondering what light skinned for a Latino dude is supposed to mean... Light skinned compared to what because plenty of Latinos are light skinned if you look at say Argentinians for example... They're mixture is mainly European (Italian, Spanish, German, etc.), though they do have some mulatos as well that have blended in with the population and small amount of mestizos (both of which they would for the most part deny lol claiming their "Europeaness"). Maybe light skinned for a Caribbean Latino?

I have Latinos friends from all over... Argentinians, Colombians, Costa Ricans, Venezuelans, Chileans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and so on so I'm used to seeing all sorts of Latinos with various mixtures.

I'm kind of wondering what light skinned for a Latino dude is supposed to mean... Light skinned compared to what because plenty of Latinos are light skinned if you look at say Argentinians for example... They're mixture is mainly European (Italian, Spanish, German, etc.), though they do have some mulatos as well that have blended in with the population and small amount of mestizos. Maybe light skinned for a Caribbean Latino?

I have Latinos friends from all over... Argentinians, Colombians, Costa Ricans, Venezuelans, Chileans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and so on so I'm used to seeing all sorts of Latinos with various mixtures.

Well for me, I'm close to Caucasian Light-skin.... At least that's how everyone sees me lol... I can say I'm not on the tan side...

Well for me, I'm close to Caucasian Light-skin.... At least that's how everyone sees me lol... I can say I'm not on the tan side...

Okay I know what you mean... I have a few Latino friends like that... My Argentinian friend is fair skinned, but I can still see that he's Latino... His features even though he's mixed with Italian and Spanish mainly. My Colombian friend... Now his father is a German Jew, but when I saw him I said now this guy looks interesting... He first told me was he German... Didn't mention he was born in Colombia to a Colombian mother... When he told me that it made more sense... I know he has some indio in there but I would even go as far as to say that he has trigueño mixture, even though he is light as well. Just his features and complexion... Being that I was a Spanish major as well as having mainly Latino friends I'm pretty well versed in terms of the history of all of the countries and all of that. We had to study all of that stuff in depth in Spanish of course.

Here's a funny story though.... I was a TA for a Spanish class and my professor was a Spaniard from Northern Spain... Blond hair, blue eye type and we came to a chapter on Puerto Rico and before I got up to teach my portion of the class, she had the nerve to say that all Puerto Ricans are black. She said it just like this... "...Y todos son negros..." I couldn't believe it. I said to myself what an ignorant "B"... Typical ignorant Spaniard... Not that I was that shocked, but she's a professor and she makes a comment like that when Puerto Ricans are mainly trigueños.... Spaniards can be very arrogant.

I'm kind of wondering what light skinned for a Latino dude is supposed to mean... Light skinned compared to what because plenty of Latinos are light skinned if you look at say Argentinians for example... They're mixture is mainly European (Italian, Spanish, German, etc.), though they do have some mulatos as well that have blended in with the population and small amount of mestizos (both of which they would for the most part deny lol claiming their "Europeaness"). Maybe light skinned for a Caribbean Latino?

I'm kind of light too. I'm VERY light compared to your normal Caribbean. I think the white part of me comes out a bit in my skin colour. I am mistaken for Dominican often actually lol...

I seriously must be the only white boy here. Besides Garibaldi

lol... I'm mixed man... My father is white (Italian) but my mom is mixed, as is most of my family. My cousin Justin for example, shown below, his mother is Jewish.

MiocuginoJustin.jpg

Tokkemon, I assumed for some reason that you were Asian? Aren't you Canadian from British Columbia?

I'm kind of light too. I'm VERY light compared to your normal Caribbean. I think the white part of me comes out a bit in my skin colour. I am mistaken for Dominican often actually lol...

Ha! I'm often mistaken for Dominican as well... Sometimes it is okay, but other times it can be annoying. Tonight I was in my office and the cleaning lady comes into my office... She's Dominican... She knows I speak Spanish so of course she keeps bugging me to tell her what her brother is texting to her in since he wrote it in English and she only speaks Spanish. <_<

Yes. White Canadian from Vancouver. Not the Hong Kong immigrants.

LOLOL! Too funny... When I lived near Montréal up in Plattsburgh we had Canadians here and there in our American university and this one old guy, he would always yell out friggin' Canucks! lol I would chuckle because you being Canadian, I'm sure you know it's supposed to be an insult. :lol:

Okay I know what you mean... I have a few Latino friends like that... My Argentinian friend is fair skinned, but I can still see that he's Latino... His features even though he's mixed with Italian and Spanish mainly. My Colombian friend... Now his father is a German Jew, but when I saw him I said now this guy looks interesting... He first told me was he German... Didn't mention he was born in Colombia to a Colombian mother... When he told me that it made more sense... I know he has some indio in there but I would even go as far as to say that he has trigueño mixture, even though he is light as well. Just his features and complexion... Being that I was a Spanish major as well as having mainly Latino friends I'm pretty well versed in terms of the history of all of the countries and all of that. We had to study all of that stuff in depth in Spanish of course.

Here's a funny story though.... I was a TA for a Spanish class and my professor was a Spaniard from Northern Spain... Blond hair, blue eye type and we came to a chapter on Puerto Rico and before I got up to teach my portion of the class, she had the nerve to say that all Puerto Ricans are black. She said it just like this... "...Y todos son negros..." I couldn't believe it. I said to myself what an ignorant "B"... Typical ignorant Spaniard... Not that I was that shocked, but she's a professor and she makes a comment like that when Puerto Ricans are mainly trigueños.... Spaniards can be very arrogant.

Wow the nerve of that chick.... I'm living proof of her ignorance... Funny thing is that (not the same chick you are refering to...) Blonde hair blue eyed light-skin chicks are my type of chick too...Then again, certain people also think that "Todos los Dominicanos son negros" Thing is, I know a Dominican chick who's as light-skinned as I am.... Some nerve of people.... Good job on not dropping the F-bomb on her lol....

Wow the nerve of that chick.... I'm living proof of her ignorance... Funny thing is that (not the same chick you are refering to...) Blonde hair blue eyed light-skin chicks are my type of chick too...Then again, certain people also think that "Todos los Dominicanos son negros" Thing is, I know a Dominican chick who's as light-skinned as I am.... Some nerve of people.... Good job on not dropping the F-bomb on her lol....

lol... Well what was shocking to me was she did this in front of an introductory beginner's Spanish class and she being a professor and supposedly "cultured" should know better. I mean I had her for other high level Spanish courses discussing Spain's history and another high level Spanish course and she never made a comment like that. I mean my other high level Spanish courses had Latinos in it, so I'm sure they would've been pissed if she made that comment like that, but this class was all gringos so I guess she thought she could get away with it.

Archived