Do you think the MTA maintains the subway well?

6 Lexington Ave

So, as I'm a visitor, I don't think I can answer that question as I don't have enough experience. I would like to hear your opinion, since most of you live in NYC. What do you think of the way the subway is maintained overall? (rolling stock, stations and reliability of service) Give it an overall grade out of 10. Thank you!

I would give a grade of 6 out of 10, because although the system is being maintained better than it was in the 1970s and 1980s, things are far from perfect. The one thing that I find to be the most wrong with their way of doing things is that the (MTA) seems to consider the parts of the system that are located in low-income neighborhoods to be a low priority. For example, Dyckman Street on the (1) line, which has been in bad shape for years (crumbling platform, severe signs of deterioration), is not being renovated until now, even though it could have used a full-scale renovation some time ago. If the MTA maintained things from a less biased point of view, than things would be different.

So, as I'm a visitor, I don't think I can answer that question as I don't have enough experience. I would like to hear your opinion, since most of you live in NYC. What do you think of the way the subway is maintained overall? (rolling stock, stations and reliability of service) Give it an overall grade out of 10. Thank you!

Seeing that you're in Athens Greece, I'd like to hear your opinion of the system in comparison to other transit systems around the world. Me personally, IMO, they don't enough to keep the stations clean, nor do they do enough to keep them properly maintained. I don't see the point in buying brand new subway cars and letting them become filthy. A complete waste of taxpayer money. And who was that that released that ridiculous report about how much it would cost to actually keep the system clean??? So in other words they're admitting that the system isn't kept up and is filthy and giving a sorry @ss excuse for it. :P

Seeing that you're in Athens Greece, I'd like to hear your opinion of the system in comparison to other transit systems around the world. Me personally, IMO, they don't enough to keep the stations clean, nor do they do enough to keep them properly maintained. I don't see the point in buying brand new subway cars and letting them become filthy. A complete waste of taxpayer money. And who was that that released that ridiculous report about how much it would cost to actually keep the system clean??? So in other words they're admitting that the system isn't kept up and is filthy and giving a sorry @ss excuse for it. :P

I'm visiting NYC for a month until next Saturday, and I've been going around a lot in the subway, trying to do as much fanning as possible. I love the system, but there are a few things that I dislike. In comparison to the Athens subway, which I know as I use it, it's not as clean, nor is the service as stable, meaning that we don't get signal or switch problems etc.. But in NYC it can practically take you everywhere, usually there aren't any problems, there are 400+ stations in comparison to the 33(!) of Athens and it's over 100 years old. So if I had to choose NYC wins by a wide margin.. But I'm more interested in a New Yorker's point of view.

I will post some picture of the system, and see your opinion. Here is one of the stations in the NYC Subway System. It's called Chambers Street, and enjoy.

img_114080.jpg

img_112311.jpg

img_108996.jpg

Chambers_8442.jpg

20040127-corner-now.jpg

33+Chambers+Street+station+03.jpg

Well, I'm aware that some stations are in awful condition, but are those pictures current? Wow! I must pay it a visit before I leave.. The ugliest station I've been to so far was 149th Street – Grand Concourse, in my opinion.

Some stations are just so beautiful they are jaw-dropping- 33rd Street on the IRT Lexington Ave Line (4)(5)(6), Times Square complex, and the Atlantic Ave Complex in Downtown Brooklyn come to mind. Some are just dirty (Spring Street Platform Extension, 23 Street (4)(5)(6)) and others are just disgusting (Chambers Street (J)(Z), Bleecker Street, 3rd Ave-149 Street, the whole IND Concourse Line, and Spring Street on the IND 8th Ave Line, to name a few.) But it all comes down to maintenance. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. I'd give it a 6.5. It's improving, but it could be better kept. But then again, that is what you have to contend with when you have 24 hour/365 Day System that is also over 100 years old.

I'm visiting NYC for a month until next Saturday, and I've been going around a lot in the subway, trying to do as much fanning as possible. I love the system, but there are a few things that I dislike. In comparison to the Athens subway, which I know as I use it, it's not as clean, nor is the service as stable, meaning that we don't get signal or switch problems etc.. But in NYC it can practically take you everywhere, usually there aren't any problems, there are 400+ stations in comparison to the 33(!) of Athens and it's over 100 years old. So if I had to choose NYC wins by a wide margin.. But I'm more interested in a New Yorker's point of view.

Well, I'm a New Yorker, but I've also used other subway systems as well. When I lived back in Florence, Italy, there was no subway system, but the buses were pretty clean. No trash everywhere or anything like that. Of course I used the commuter trains all over Italy, but in the trams in both Milan and Rome looked quite clean from what I could see. I speak of them since they are quite important and interlinked with the Metro in those cities and so I've included pics of them below...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/98933901_11355a25a7.jpg

A tram in Rome :cool:

http://sf.metblogs.com/files/2009/04/milan_tram.jpg

A tram in Milan :cool:

I used the Metro in Rome from the Colosseum to Stazione Termini to take the train back to Florence and it was pretty clean, much like this picture...

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Metro_colosseo2_17102007.jpg

I do agree that there is no other subway system like NYC. It is truely amazing in terms of how massive it is and its importance, but it is really filthy. It would be a real jewel if they could just keep it clean and well maintained.

Wow, I was actually expecting to run into a convo about how much the subway sucked...but I didn't. Shocking!

From the way I see it, our system has a large infrastructure but improvements are making their way around as time progresses. People think these improvements can happen overnight; they take time. Our system is not the way it used to be like it was in the 70s and 80s with trains that had failing doors, lights and air conditioning that blew out hot air. Hell, it's a miracle trains even made service. But that period is long gone, and our oldest structure from 1885 is STILL standing. That does mean something...it means despite the hard times the TA went through, the infrastructure never "failed" on us and came tumbling on top of our heads and crushing us!

I really hate it when people belittle our system, comparing it with others that aren't even as old as ours, are smaller than ours, or don't even provide round-the-clock service like ours! This isn't a perfect transit system, but giving them credit where it's due, they're doing a good job making it a better one.

Well, I'm a New Yorker, but I've also used other subway systems as well. When I lived back in Florence, Italy, there was no subway system, but the buses were pretty clean. No trash everywhere or anything like that. Of course I used the commuter trains all over Italy, but in the trams in both Milan and Rome looked quite clean from what I could see. I speak of them since they are quite important and interlinked with the Metro in those cities and so I've included pics of them below...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/98933901_11355a25a7.jpg

A tram in Rome :cool:

http://sf.metblogs.com/files/2009/04/milan_tram.jpg

A tram in Milan :cool:

I used the Metro in Rome from the Colosseum to Stazione Termini to take the train back to Florence and it was pretty clean, much like this picture...

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Metro_colosseo2_17102007.jpg

I do agree that there is no other subway system like NYC. It is truely amazing in terms of how massive it is and its importance, but it is really filthy. It would be a real jewel if they could just keep it clean and well maintained.

I've actually been in the subway in Rome, but it was only a one station back and forth ride because I wanted to see how it looked. I've also been to the London underground which is cleaner the NYC Subway. But, in my opinion, those systems lack character.. So does the one in Athens. They just don't feel like the one here..

I've actually been in the subway in Rome, but it was only a one station back and forth ride because I wanted to see how it looked. I've also been to the London underground which is cleaner the NYC Subway. But, in my opinion, those systems lack character.. So does the one in Athens. They just don't feel like the one here..

Well I have to agree w/you about the character thing. In Rome the subway was clean and it is nice that they have a train station across the street from the Colosseum, along w/the trams and the buses, but yeah it did lack character when compared to NYC's subway system. Milan also has a subway, but like the one in Rome, it is relatively small. I really dig the trams though in both Milan and Rome, especially since living in Florence we only had buses.

P.S. It is nice to see so many Greeks coming to visit. I have met a few that have come from Athens to stay here and work and needed things translated. :cool:

I will post some picture of the system, and see your opinion. Here is one of the stations in the NYC Subway System. It's called Chambers Street, and enjoy.

Seems like a biased opinion. It's only one station, and the worst of the bunch to boot.

Well, I'm aware that some stations are in awful condition, but are those pictures current? Wow! I must pay it a visit before I leave.. The ugliest station I've been to so far was 149th Street – Grand Concourse, in my opinion.

They are as good as current -- but bear in mind those last three pictures are of an abandoned platform. Regardless, it's amazing that Transit has let that station deteriorate to that condition.

Like IntExp said, there are some stations that are absolutely gorgeous and/or have been renovated rather recently, some that have barely been touched since they were built (as in, not renovated) but are kept nice and clean, and some stations that are plain crap.

Well I have to agree w/you about the character thing. In Rome the subway was clean and it is nice that they have a train station across the street from the Colosseum, along w/the trams and the buses, but yeah it did lack character when compared to NYC's subway system. Milan also has a subway, but like the one in Rome, it is relatively small. I really dig the trams though in both Milan and Rome, especially since living in Florence we only had buses.

P.S. It is nice to see so many Greeks coming to visit. I have met a few that have come from Athens to stay here and work and needed things translated. :cool:

Well, i'm not only here as a tourist as I was born here and I also have family here. I will do my postgraduate studies here in 2 years. I study English Literature. I'll probably end up staying here as things in Greece are really bad economically...:P

Like IntExp said, there are some stations that are absolutely gorgeous and/or have been renovated rather recently, some that have barely been touched since they were built (as in, not renovated) but are kept nice and clean, and some stations that are plain crap.

Take South Ferry on the (1). Basically the newest station in our system. Look at the condition of that station. Obviously the main cause of that is it being so close to the East River, but shouldn't something have been done to prevent such an obvious effect?

Take South Ferry on the (1). Basically the newest station in our system. Look at the condition of that station. Obviously the main cause of that is it being so close to the East River, but shouldn't something have been done to prevent such an obvious effect?

I went there two years ago and it was nice. I'll go again though just to see..

Yes, I think the TA maintains the subway well, putting all railfan biases aside, the subway's image (Well in my eyes at least) has gotten a lot better since they added all these NTT to the system. Not to mention CBTC, the countdown clocks, renovated stations etc.

Well, i'm not only here as a tourist as I was born here and I also have family here. I will do my postgraduate studies here in 2 years. I study English Literature. I'll probably end up staying here as things in Greece are really bad economically...:P

Yes, I know... Unless you've got connections there, you'd be better off coming here. I was talking w/one of my Greek colleagues and we were discussing Greece and the whole leaving the EU thing... But yeah on the flip side you could ride the grimmy subways here all you wanted for $2.25... :P

What do you think of the way the subway is maintained overall? (rolling stock, stations and reliability of service) Give it an overall grade out of 10. Thank you!

21 replies and not a single grade was given like the op requested. Anyway in total I would give the subway system an 8 out of 10.

If we were to spread it out it would be 8 out of 10 for rolling stock, 6 out of 10 for stations, and 9 out of 10 for reliability.

Archived