Farewell...

R188 7857

This thread is a farewell to the RTS and Orion V.

They both served good, but will be replaced by the following buses:

Orion VII NG HEV

NYC_Transit_Authority_Orion_VII_Next_Generation_hybrid_3814.jpg

Novabus LFS

_CSC1518.jpg

C40LFR

Orion VII 3g EPA 2010

5500514457_6c44d8a88d.jpg

New Flyer XD40

We will never forget the first ever Orion V, 1990.

We will also never forget the RTS slopebacks.

Rest in Piece.:cry::cry::cry:

The Orion 5s and RTS' still have time. The 6000-6300s series NYCTA Orions should be around for another 2-3 years, and the RTS' are scheduled for an overhaul within the next year. I really wished the MTA kept on ordering more Orion 5s and RTS', or even New Flyer D40HFs for the matter, until the models were discontinued.

The Orion 5s and RTS' still have time. The 6000-6300s series NYCTA Orions should be around for another 2-3 years, and the RTS' are scheduled for an overhaul within the next year. I really wished the MTA kept on ordering more Orion 5s and RTS', or even New Flyer D40HFs for the matter, until the models were discontinued.

If true, good, because those disgusting signs on that second bus still look ugly to this day. I mean, what's with the microscopic s?

Actually don't mind seeing the RTSs because I liked those, but it is time for them and the Orions to go. Old signage that is a pain in the @ss to read and the Orions, esp. on Staten Island are just disgusting. Filthy as hell, minimum AC if any. Give me a clean new bus anyday over those.

If true, good, because those disgusting signs on that second bus still look ugly to this day. I mean, what's with the microscopic s?

The LFS have Axion signs. I actually like them although I don't know why the "S" is so damn small.

Actually don't mind seeing the RTSs because I liked those, but it is time for them and the Orions to go. Old signage that is a pain in the @ss to read and the Orions, esp. on Staten Island are just disgusting. Filthy as hell, minimum AC if any. Give me a clean new bus anyday over those.

That's what happens when you have certain depots not taking care of their fleet, old or new. As for the signs, those can easily be replaced. The MTA is already starting to replace the RTS signs giving them LED orange signage. As for the Orions it would make sense to take the signs out of the 5900s at JFK and put those in the NYCTA Orions.

That's what happens when you have certain depots not taking care of their fleet, old or new. As for the signs, those can easily be replaced. The MTA is already starting to replace the RTS signs giving them LED orange signage. As for the Orions it would make sense to take the signs out of the 5900s at JFK and put those in the NYCTA Orions.

No question about it. The only thing that is good about those buses is there is ample aisle room. Other than that I have no problem seeing all of them trashed. If they were better cared for I wouldn't mind them so much, but they've been abused beyond belief. :eek:

They've been running a few of them on the (S48) the last few days. I was waiting for the X30 a few days ago and one came by and blew God knows what in my face. The ones out of Castleton always seemed to have soot or some sort of sand or something on them. Really filthy.

No question about it. The only thing that is good about those buses is there is ample aisle room. Other than that I have no problem seeing all of them trashed. If they were better cared for I wouldn't mind them so much, but they've been abused beyond belief. :eek:

They've been running a few of them on the (S48) the last few days. I was waiting for the X30 a few days ago and one came by and blew God knows what in my face. The ones out of Castleton always seemed to have soot or some sort of sand or something on them. Really filthy.

The Orion Vs at Casey Stengel are fine.

I just went there and saw 656 scraped.

Agree with LRG, the 6000-series Orion Vs don't deserve to retire YET (though 6337 was pwned). And I also think that the 4900-5249 and possibly the 1998 9000-series RTSs should be overhauled.

Agree with LRG, the 6000-series Orion Vs don't deserve to retire YET (though 6337 was pwned). And I also think that the 4900-5249 and possibly the 1998 9000-series RTSs should be overhauled.

All 6000 series are at CS and Castleton.

Just went to Casey Stengel and saw 1996 Orion V 656 SCRAPED!!

This thread is a farewell to the RTS and Orion V.

They both served good, but will be replaced by the following buses:

Orion VII NG HEV

Novabus LFS

C40LFR

We will never forget the first ever Orion V, 1990.

We will also never forget the RTS slopebacks.

Rest in Piece.:cry::cry::cry:

Don't forget about the Orion VII 3G's, and New Flyer XD40's

As far the D60HF's, the TA did order them right up until the point they were discontinued. They wanted more, and New Flyer didn't want to make anymore, and the battle began.

Some of those Orion V's, and D60's you mentioned above will be rehabbed as well. We can expect to see them (O5's) for at least another 5 years.

Most all the RTS' in the 4900-5249 series, 9140, 9142-9149, and a couple other 1998 series buses (9526-9699) will be overhauled.

I actually like the SI Orions these days, only because they're not nearly as bad as they used to be.

The D40HFs were discontinued when the D40LFs were made, that was in the mid-90s.

Those Axion signs look so damn ugly. They should've put the Horizon signs (the LEDs on the RTS), those look better and more uniformly shaped.

The LEDs on the RTSs are not Horizons, they are Hanover LEDs. The same signs that were on 1304-05-06.

The minimal A/C has been a plague throughout the Orion V fleet starting with the 400s. Some of the fleet have some strong A/C while the rest has pretty weak A/Cs so it's not a depot matter.

Thanks for the clarifacation :tup:

you put the bright LED's that MJQuill got those 52xx you know what I'm talking about....Then this bus would look waaaay better from A Destination sign POV:tup:167672_120176114721531_100001874304533_141283_5743041_n.jpg

this one

Ah yes, the TwinVisions. If it wasn't for the fact that those signs freeze a lot, those wouldve been perfect

Im willing to put up with NYCT O5's much longer than I am the 5900's and the ex-BL's....

Seriously does the MTA plan to run those BL's until they just fall apart in the middle of the street....Jesus Christ those buses are done I feel like the PBL's are back all over again with dilapidated equipment, and if this Summer is as brutal as last summer look for those thing to star dropping like flies.

Some of those Orion V's, and D60's you mentioned above will be rehabbed as well. We can expect to see them (O5's) for at least another 5 years.

Awesome! :tup:

I wonder why they stopped using the Luminator Horizon. Those look great on the Orion Vs and VIIs here. The TITANs are just ugly and the sign defrosters make them look glitched up close.

Either Luminator discontinued them or they're pricier than the rest, but its a damn shame, they were great signs and are my favorites, the Hanover signs come in second for me

As far as things go, Casey Stengel's been doing a good job keeping the 600s in proper working shape but their time is coming near... The 6000s were a rushed order which is why some may be raggedy (ESPECIALLY Staten Island's)

Im willing to put up with NYCT O5's much longer than I am the 5900's and the ex-BL's....

Seriously does the MTA plan to run those BL's until they just fall apart in the middle of the street....Jesus Christ those buses are done I feel like the PBL's are back all over again with dilapidated equipment, and if this Summer is as brutal as last summer look for those thing to star dropping like flies.

I remember I rode on a ex BL on the Q33 not too long ago and the bus just kept randomly shutting off along the route, it couldn't climb a small hill along the route either, I mean this B/O was smashing that gas pedal but the bus was straining.

As far as things go, Casey Stengel's been doing a good job keeping the 600s in proper working shape but their time is coming near... The 6000s were a rushed order which is why some may be raggedy (ESPECIALLY Staten Island's)

As that is the truth (unfortunately) about the 1998-1999 Orions being rushed, the 6300s are my favorite batch of Orion 5s nonetheless. I really wish the order wasn't rushed, that's how we get shit busesin the long run.

Speaking of rushed orders weren't the Orion NG HEV order rushed to a certain degree.

Either Luminator discontinued them or they're pricier than the rest, but its a damn shame, they were great signs and are my favorites, the Hanover signs come in second for me

I think I told you but.... I went to Casey Stengel today and went to explore an untouched Orion V for IDK...about 3-4 months. It was 656. It had no seats and was scraped.

Archived