This is unusual

Cait Sith

Today I saw an R160 (N) train that was out of the ordinary. Alstom AND siemens trains were coupled together. 8833-8837 and 8848-8852. I have 3 videos of them and I'll upload them a lil bit later

nice catch they are testing to see if siemens sets can run with astom sets in service. The MTA did the same thing with the R142/A in 2000 theres a pic of it on daves site. I kinda feel sorry for the T/O who had to operate that train. Being that the siemens brakes slide and and the astom onix brakes dont. Must have made for some interesting stops LOL.

I wonder why they did that. I was one of those trains, too. I was on the Siemens set, but then I heard the Alstom on the other end. It sounds like the MTA is mixing Siemens with Alstom. :eek:

What car and when?!

I first saw this coupling at 14th street around 12:50PM, seen in one of the videos. I thought it was a normal alstom train, but NOPE. To my surprise came a mixed set of Alstom and Siemens Trains. If this is a test set and all goes well, this would put less stress on the sets. I hope things goes well and they continue to put more trains like this along the lines and future lines of the Q and W. I rode both running sets and it was great. Standing near the conductor's spot listening to both propulsions running at the same time was awesome !

What car and when?!

I first saw this coupling at 14th street around 12:50PM, seen in one of the videos. I thought it was a normal alstom train, but NOPE. To my surprise came a mixed set of Alstom and Siemens Trains. If this is a test set and all goes well, this would put less stress on the sets. I hope things goes well and they continue to put more trains like this along the lines and future lines of the Q and W. I rode both running sets and it was great. Standing near the conductor's spot listening to both propulsions running at the same time was awesome !

I was on 8848 around 9:30 during rush.

Just thinking now reminded me.... saw a mixed consist 8-10 weeks ago, but as i'm not well informed about the model numbers i'll just say it was 2 different NTT as you could see the HVAC unit under the seat (side seats) in the next car from the car i was in, but the car i was in... was a kawasaki car with the blue seats and nothing under them and that light color trim and electronic status displays. I am pretty sure this was either times square or herald square as i was heading to shea to get tickets & pricing on the (7)(7x) later in the day from the same station after coming from the 5th ave apple store. Wish my memory was better.

- Andy

Because of this particular R160 Train, it threw off my planned sessions of recording. But this was a real surprise to many. People thought that there was something wrong with the train. I didnt believe it myself. When I first caught it at 14th street, I kept repeating the camera replay to see if that was actually 8833 and 8848 lashed up together. I didnt believe it until I caught it again at 42nd street.

The mix mashing has officially begun. Is this the first confirmed report of a mixed set?

The only other mixed set i've seen were redbirds hooked to something or other at corona yard, but they were not in regular service.

- Andy

Archived