Do you think the MTA/NYC is ready for this?

Blitz

now i'm not sure if there was a thread about this before, but i head whispers that a couple years ago, the MTA wanted to test these monsters in manhattan. when i heard this i thought silently..."where the f**k would they put these things? on what route? what's the point?"

5746922107_154b9ddbb3.jpg

00015050-original by blitz_126, on Flickr

5747470822_cf3c04d308.jpg

800px-Gothenburg-bus-16-by-BIL by blitz_126, on Flickr

if there were physically separated bus only lanes like there are suppose to be, it might be able to work. they would need to build a completely new depot to house them but it could work...

By time you walk to the back of those buses, you would've been a-third of the way down the block, had you not boarded the bus to begin with......

Yeah, but you don't need to walk to the back anyway since ideally you would board through any of the doors that best suits where you're at. I rode the three door buses in Europe and I'd just get on closest to whatever door I was near at the time and go and stamp my ticket at one of the machines on the bus and then go sit down and it worked out just fine in terms of traffic flow and such. Dare I say this but the passengers here in NYC can be rather dense. They make things way too complicated no matter how simple it is made for them. :( I don't know why the (MTA) can't just install a few machines on the buses and create a system where the Metrocard could be read accordingly thus eliminating the need for the receipt and the waste of paper and ink. Really drives me crazy the amount of waste that the (MTA) creates with those Metrocards and such. The checker could simply come around with a machine that checks to see when the card was last used and so forth. In sum, these buses work quite well in other places and with some tweaking could work well here too. And since folks are so dense here you just slap a ticket on their @sses and you'll see how quickly folks will learn the new system. Those machines outside are not necessary and are too costly IMO, plus they're exposed to the elements outside which I'm sure has to decrease how long they last.

Not sure what you're ranting on about, to be honest....

My point was that, we don't need those long ass buses here in NYC; bad enough we have the current artics we have now....

What works in Europe doesn't have to work, or be utilized in NYC....

"where the f**k would they put those things".... is right.

Not sure what you're ranting on about, to be honest....

My point was that, we don't need those long ass buses here in NYC; bad enough we have the current artics we have now....

What works in Europe doesn't have to work, or be utilized in NYC....

"where the f**k would they put those things".... is right.

Well you know you're not a big fan of the artics in general. The question was if these could be used here and the answer is yes, of course with some tweaking they could be. That was my point. I'm not ranting at all, just pointing out that eliminating the machines on the sidewalks for SBS service could also be done and could be implemented and would be cheaper if done right, in addition to creating a system where the waste of paper and ink wasn't necessary, thus creating further savings. These savings could be put back into the service to improve it or to perhaps keep fares low or lower them. Remember how the banks all went high tech and got rid of bank slips and all of that? That move has saved the banks millions. In sum, this has nothing to do with Europe and everything to do with the (MTA) thinking ahead. These buses may seem unnecessary at the moment, but they may be needed down the road. The question is what it the (MTA) doing to plan down the road?

now i'm not sure if there was a thread about this before, but i head whispers that a couple years ago, the MTA wanted to test these monsters in manhattan. when i heard this i thought silently..."where the f**k would they put these things? on what route? what's the point?"

Naw, you probably just heard a rumor. We tested a Benz Citaro once, but it was a standard 60 footer.

They can use them, they're just not equipped to do so, so yeah they are behind.

Those buses aren't allowed in the USA, let alone NYC.

The only thing you will ever see here (USA) is 60, 62, or 65 footers at the most.

Those buses aren't allowed in the USA, let alone NYC.

The only thing you will ever see here (USA) is 60, 62, or 65 footers at the most.

Yeah, I know, certain vehicles you will never see here. :( There are some really good cars for example made in France that can't be exported here due to structural issues, etc. but I was thinking going forward though that buses like these would be good, but of course as I said before modifications would be needed in some areas. Isn't it ironic that the Americans have a love affair with big cars that are usually gas guzzlers, but they hate big buses? lol That's one thing that should change. Folks complaining about the gas prices but they won't go out and buy a smaller car to cut down on their expenses. Those little mini cars I see once in a blue moon here are the norm in a lot of other places, but it's a stigma I guess in that folks see little cars as being less successful, otherwise there is no reason why one would laugh at those small cars. If they're roomy enough to fit and get me from point A to point B then why not use them? Now me being my size I'd go for a mini SUV like those Volkswagen SUVs because they're compact and somewhat efficient on fuel for their size. Those longer buses could cut down on fuel and pollution and really help out high usage lines like the M15. Of course on the flip side that would mean reduced frequencies, but that could be evened out by fewer vehicles on the roads meaning that you get to your destination quicker.

Wow that bus is ugly. Ugly or not, I don't think we are ready for something like this. If 40 and 60 ft buses have a hard time manuvering around traffic, you can only imagine with this will look like in Manhattan or anywhere else around the city.

Archived