Which lines interline with 319 and 551 or 552??

Come down and ride the 508. I dont even remember the route and if they put me on it 2m I would be a lost soul lol. But when I learned it; it had a decent amount of ppl on it from what I remember. Im strickly full service routes.

I meant 508 segment from hamilton mall to the richard stockton college

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait wait wait wait. What's wrong with the 188? Now, I'm strongly curious. That was MY baby, MY route that I purposely tried to get.

I was referring to the 195 segment that backtracks at rte 23. Looks like it needs not go to willowbrook its true function can be enhanced by absorbing this morris route??? I will reveal details after getting more data. several 800 series rtes backtrack too much as well as the 2 line. They need to be restructured especially the 755/751 which has disasterous service levels and a meandering route that makes no sense.

I was referring to the 195 segment that backtracks at rte 23. Looks like it needs not go to willowbrook its true function can be enhanced by absorbing this morris route??? I will reveal details after getting more data. several 800 series rtes backtrack too much as well as the 2 line. They need to be restructured especially the 755/751 which has disasterous service levels and a meandering route that makes no sense.

Disasterous? You ever taken the 751? I have. That line carries! It's the ONLY line that goes from Hackensack to Leonia/Ridgefield Park to Fairview! That line carries brother. If anything, at times, I think the line needs more buses on it but that's my opinion. You got a lot of workers from other counties going on that bus to go to and from work in Edgewater Commons Mall. That's a big stop, for the 751, 755, 188, and the 158. 751 isn't a joke by any means.

And I personally know that the 188 is exceptionally busy this time of year when it gets warmer. You have Edgewater Commons Mall, you got Mituska Marketplace, Downtown Edgewater, and City Place mall. You got people from GWB coming to NJ to those malls for shopping, dining (Applebee's, Outback Steakhouse, and other eateries), and a movie theater at City Place mall. Trust me, the 188 maybe a "why is this here line", but when you see how much it carries and how busy it gets, especially at the late night run, you'll understand. Hell, I was the last bus at GWB and I PURPOSELY went slower than usual because I knew people were just getting out of work. By the end of my trip, I might of been 10 minutes late, but I had 60 people. And these are people from the stores and malls getting done from work. People knew who I was because they also knew they had to take other buses to get home from the 188 (84P on Park Ave, or the 84 from Bergenline or 156/159 from Bergenline). The 188 is a smooth line, but don't let it fool ya. It can bite ya if you're not careful. I was one of three part timers that ever did the 188. Out of a garage of 70, I was one of three. Because the garage knew that I never had issues with passengers, I get the people there safe, no complaints, and they knew that I tried to make sure everyone gets their connections on time.

My plan doesnt send buses that far now ur taking it to the extreme. My plan only uses lines that are compatible. Kelley local rtes are absorbed partly into the 27 line. The similar things but it only takes rtes that share a region. Only one rte in the plan will literally switch parts and exchange. Thats it. Bus swapping is kept to a minimum.

Kelly doesn't have any local rtes. They have the 26-Winsted Exp and 27-Torrington Exp. If your thinking about combining the two, I will tell you those commuters will disembowel you and feed you to the fire ants! Both those routes are over a hour long as it is....they are not gonna make them LONGER. Plus those both those routes carry heavy....some Winsted people are driving to Canton to catch the 1 Express into Hartford.

Like I said earlier there is no reason to combine any of these commuter runs, leave well enough alone....if anything they need to add another trip to both those lines during the AM/PM peak and MAYBE add a noontime Torrington/Winsted combo trip.

I know you are probably looking at the maps and schedules and saying to yourself "They could combine those two routes and save money". It doesn't always work like that....you have to look at the passenger loads, traffic flows at certain times of day, availability of buses and drivers....plus CTTransit has kind of a unwritten policy of trying to keep the express runs at no more than a hour in length. This is why 553 and SJP are saying go ride the system and talk to people, there is a lot more to a transit system then just the schedules.

Again sorry guys for going off topic!

Kelly doesn't have any local rtes. They have the 26-Winsted Exp and 27-Torrington Exp. If your thinking about combining the two, I will tell you those commuters will disembowel you and feed you to the fire ants! Both those routes are over a hour long as it is....they are not gonna make them LONGER. Plus those both those routes carry heavy....some Winsted people are driving to Canton to catch the 1 Express into Hartford.

Like I said earlier there is no reason to combine any of these commuter runs, leave well enough alone....if anything they need to add another trip to both those lines during the AM/PM peak and MAYBE add a noontime Torrington/Winsted combo trip.

I know you are probably looking at the maps and schedules and saying to yourself "They could combine those two routes and save money". It doesn't always work like that....you have to look at the passenger loads, traffic flows at certain times of day, availability of buses and drivers....plus CTTransit has kind of a unwritten policy of trying to keep the express runs at no more than a hour in length. This is why 553 and SJP are saying go ride the system and talk to people, there is a lot more to a transit system then just the schedules.

Again sorry guys for going off topic!

Yes they do have local rtes in torrington they are called the candystripper northwest transit district they are run by kelley transit. I am not thinking of combining the 27 and 26 that is just stupid I would never come up with something like that. I will ride the systems before I come to a final conclusion. Plus why does a rte that carries heavy run with only 2 AM and 2 PM trips??? arent more needed??? I have an unwritten policy to keep NON-stop segments of new or combined rtes at no more than 1 hour hence why I had to eliminate parts of my MD plan. Plus My CT plan doesnt touch hartford locals. Also no 2 hartford express lines are combined in my plan at all. The dial a bus service will have its hours adjusted to run when the fixed rtes run even hartford expresses. I said I will release CT ideas for you to critique in another thread in the future untill then CT discussion is over.

Disasterous? You ever taken the 751? I have. That line carries! It's the ONLY line that goes from Hackensack to Leonia/Ridgefield Park to Fairview! That line carries brother. If anything, at times, I think the line needs more buses on it but that's my opinion. You got a lot of workers from other counties going on that bus to go to and from work in Edgewater Commons Mall. That's a big stop, for the 751, 755, 188, and the 158. 751 isn't a joke by any means.

I meant disasterous in the turns it makes and service levels NOT ridership. I think the line needs to be streamlined some segments should be eliminated. I am referring to the constant turns and going around.

WOAH!!! other counties only bergen and hudson are served by 755/751 which counties are you referring to???

WOAH!!! other counties only bergen and hudson are served by 755/751 which counties are you referring to???

Well think about it. Buses that go to Hackensack transfers to the 751. 76 from Newark (Essex County). 770/712 from Wayne/Paterson (Passaic County). You also got to bring transfers to play. Before I worked at NJT, I had a job in Passaic County. I had to take the 84P or 86P to 32nd and Bergenline to catch the 190 to Clifton. That's a commute of 90 minutes for me. You got others that takes commutes that is longer than that for work. That's what I mean by other counties.

Well think about it. Buses that go to Hackensack transfers to the 751. 76 from Newark (Essex County). 770/712 from Wayne/Paterson (Passaic County). You also got to bring transfers to play. Before I worked at NJT, I had a job in Passaic County. I had to take the 84P or 86P to 32nd and Bergenline to catch the 190 to Clifton. That's a commute of 90 minutes for me. You got others that takes commutes that is longer than that for work. That's what I mean by other counties.

My revised plan will CUT DOWN travel time big time!!!! If thats the case doesnt the 712 and 770 need limited stop variants??? If so then I have an idea of what can be done I am starting to get an idea of the NJT network's weaknesses and how to fix em.

Plus why does a rte that carries heavy run with only 2 AM and 2 PM trips??? arent more needed???

I could have sworn there were more trips before....Kelly use to layover 5-6 buses in Hartford after the AM rush. I think they got cut back because of budget cuts @ ConnDOT and Kelly's own financial problems. They haven't really been in good shape since the Avon Mountain accident. In any case those trips do carry heavy....like I said people are driving to Canton to get the 1 because the 26/27 are packed.

I could have sworn there were more trips before....Kelly use to layover 5-6 buses in Hartford after the AM rush. I think they got cut back because of budget cuts @ ConnDOT and Kelly's own financial problems. They haven't really been in good shape since the Avon Mountain accident. In any case those trips do carry heavy....like I said people are driving to Canton to get the 1 because the 26/27 are packed.

Thanks looks like I have fuel other than absorbtion to justify additional service thanks for the tip. I will use that and a few major destinations to create trip generators to support service outside traditional hours that is why rtes along the way get merged by segment not rte. Plus again no 2 rtes merge at most a few interlining here and there and thats it. What avon mountain accident?? Should kelley be replaced?? again A full CT statewide plan will be created in another thread so all CT issues will be taken over there. Then you can critique my plan.

My revised plan will CUT DOWN travel time big time!!!! If thats the case doesnt the 712 and 770 need limited stop variants??? If so then I have an idea of what can be done I am starting to get an idea of the NJT network's weaknesses and how to fix em.

You can try all you want and it won't be any good.

It's not that NJT doesn't want buses to go extended to different areas, but NJT doesn't want to pay that much deadheading time too. Let's take for example, the 751. That leaves out of the Paramus Community Coach Garage. Deadheads to lets say Hackensack. That takes about 15-20 minutes, depending on traffic conditions. If people wanted a one way bus from Paterson or from Newark to Edgewater, NJT has to think of what garage would go to such places, as well as how much deadhead time NJT has to pay to the driver. Not to mention, if the demand is there. People always asked me when the 86P stop operating beyond 45th Street and Park avenue. The it wasn't that the people wasn't showing up neither. If there is a similar route going the same direction, why should NJT waste their money, resources, and gas money going up the same route. That's one reason why the 86P stop going up 45th street (Though, I'll never understand why NJT kept the P on there. Call it the 86 since it has to go on Park avenue as it's regular route...) Another thing is the 181. After August of 2008, the 181 was serverly cut to rush hour and night time service only. No mid-day service. The reason was: There were enough buses on Bergenline Avenue between Nunguessers to the Light Rail station. And, there wasn't a lot of people taking the 181 mid-day to Cliffside Park/Fort Lee via Palisades Avenue, or going to the GWB. In some respects, the same reason the 181 stop going to Hoboken was because there wasn't a lot of passengers going to NY or Cliffside Park. Same with the 22. 22 used to go to Cliffside Park to Winston Towers. That stopped since there wasn't people going further down there. If someone needed to go to Cliffside Park or to the GWB, they got to either take the 156 to Cliffside Park and get off at Bridge Plaza or take the 188 to get to the Bridge, which runs at all times, with it being only one bus during the mid-day and after all the rush hours. After the PM rush, there's only 1 bus for the 188. Same for the 127. After the rush, only 1 127 is on the road.

Because it's the way NJT planned it! LOL.

I'm sorry bro but I gotta speak my piece with respect.

Before you was talking about extending the 320 further up to someplace. Not a chance in HELL will that happen. As far as I have air in my lungs, The sky is blue, and Pres. Bush is a jackass, there will be no way, AND THE JOKAPLAYA MEANS NO WAY, that the 320, as extensively busy as it is, even at 1am in the morning, will ever have any type of route changes. Hell, it's starting to get busy NOW. It's TOURIST SEASON! All the Harmon Meadow hotels (Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Embassy Suites, etc.....) are going to get busy and busy in a super hurry. NJT will have extra buses out on the 320 too. How do I know that? If the run number say 901 or more, it's a extra bus. and that's with ALL lines: if the run number says 901 or more (902, 903, etc), it's a Extra bus. 900 is only used for training buses and training purposes ONLY. The weekends will be a horror show getting to and from NYC.

My friend, I applaud you for trying to help, but if you want to help, get on these routes, see the ridership, talk to the operators, talk to the regional supervisors that look out during that area, talk to the starters in PABT, GWB Bus Station, and Atlantic City Bus Terminal. And for one, try to get to WORK for NJT so you don't waste your time and you actually get PAID for it. I wanna help but I wanna get some pay for the help. And talk to the passengers. See what they need, and come to a idea of what people NEED, not want, NEED. They can't have a bus drop them off at their house. It has to be at a designated bus stop. Talk to the law enforcement in that town too so they can tell you why they want the buses going that way.

I'm not getting on you for helping, but I gotta say, until you get ya feet wet, you'll never know what water is. Until you actually ride the over 300 routes that NJT has, it's hard to say what can or can not get changed. Believe operators like 553, former operators like myself, and other passengers that have been there like B35 and Amtrak7

How many buses per hour are used on the 320 line??? during tourist season and off season???

OK how frequent should the 755/751 be from hackensack to edgewater commons???

You can try all you want and it won't be any good.

It's not that NJT doesn't want buses to go extended to different areas, but NJT doesn't want to pay that much deadheading time too. Let's take for example, the 751. That leaves out of the Paramus Community Coach Garage. Deadheads to lets say Hackensack. That takes about 15-20 minutes, depending on traffic conditions. If people wanted a one way bus from Paterson or from Newark to Edgewater, NJT has to think of what garage would go to such places, as well as how much deadhead time NJT has to pay to the driver. Not to mention, if the demand is there. People always asked me when the 86P stop operating beyond 45th Street and Park avenue. The it wasn't that the people wasn't showing up neither. If there is a similar route going the same direction, why should NJT waste their money, resources, and gas money going up the same route. That's one reason why the 86P stop going up 45th street (Though, I'll never understand why NJT kept the P on there. Call it the 86 since it has to go on Park avenue as it's regular route...) Another thing is the 181. After August of 2008, the 181 was serverly cut to rush hour and night time service only. No mid-day service. The reason was: There were enough buses on Bergenline Avenue between Nunguessers to the Light Rail station. And, there wasn't a lot of people taking the 181 mid-day to Cliffside Park/Fort Lee via Palisades Avenue, or going to the GWB. In some respects, the same reason the 181 stop going to Hoboken was because there wasn't a lot of passengers going to NY or Cliffside Park. Same with the 22. 22 used to go to Cliffside Park to Winston Towers. That stopped since there wasn't people going further down there. If someone needed to go to Cliffside Park or to the GWB, they got to either take the 156 to Cliffside Park and get off at Bridge Plaza or take the 188 to get to the Bridge, which runs at all times, with it being only one bus during the mid-day and after all the rush hours. After the PM rush, there's only 1 bus for the 188. Same for the 127. After the rush, only 1 127 is on the road.

My plans dont create duplication at all. Plus the route restructuring brings many rtes closer to their garages. Hence why the mini shuttle operators the county buses NOT NY bound jitneys get taken over so NJT gains control over their garages as a result DH times are cut back widely. In addition lines like 553 and 410 and 401/402 become cheaper to operate due to gaining a garage closer to their rtes which was formally owned by county shuttle or private carrier(county bus) like salem transit, oceanride ect. My plan also eliminates duplication and cuts down heavily on travel time and duplication. It also involves some collaboration to a small degree in central and northern NJ with operators like coachusa and such. From county elimination more garages become NJT's meaning more rtes can operate with reduced DH time. My regional rtes are created for the secondary ability of placing rtes near garages then they go local then express to become another rte the real reason for the 800/700 restructuring parts of the plan.

NJT would never spend money in Cumberland County to take over those small bus companies to house 2 routes. 410 deadheads are maybe 30mins and most of those drivers take shortcuts. However the Washington Twp Garage gives 410 DHS an hours time to get back to the garage. The 553 DHS are about 35mins from the Egg Harbor Garage and a 1hr n 2mins from Atlantic City. And also is given an hr to get back to the garage.

Back to the small garage take over. You would have to completly rehab those buildings to be able to maintain & service MCIs and then it would have to first be approved by the town/county and to house a few routes its not worth the time and bullshyt from these towns.

The only garage I could see NJT taking over would be the Salem County Garage which runs the 468 in the event more service ever gets to that area. NJT doesnt want to control that garage since one route running there isnt worth there time. Hell that garage only has 4 drivers.

NJT would never spend money in Cumberland County to take over those small bus companies to house 2 routes. 410 deadheads are maybe 30mins and most of those drivers take shortcuts. However the Washington Twp Garage gives 410 DHS an hours time to get back to the garage. The 553 DHS are about 35mins from the Egg Harbor Garage and a 1hr n 2mins from Atlantic City. And also is given an hr to get back to the garage.

Back to the small garage take over. You would have to completly rehab those buildings to be able to maintain & service MCIs and then it would have to first be approved by the town/county and to house a few routes its not worth the time and bullshyt from these towns.

The only garage I could see NJT taking over would be the Salem County Garage which runs the 468 in the event more service ever gets to that area. NJT doesnt want to control that garage since one route running there isnt worth there time. Hell that garage only has 4 drivers.

The salem garage is all NJT needs in southern NJ and absorbing the cape may one and this makes all rtes cheaper to run even 553. Cause if 553 gets extended to salem then shifts to the salem garage DH on 553 will but cut back big time. Also only 3 garages will need a rehab in NWJ and central jersey. If salem becomes NJT then 553 401 and 402 and a new rte I want to make will also use the garage being split with egg harbor and newton ave reducing DH time and strain on the current garages.

If lets say sussex was taken over along with 878/879 completely then Lakeland DH will mostly be eliminated or converted into local rtes and NJT DH on rtes like 194 will drop sharply. Also NJT regional rtes can be reformed to replace former county shuttle rtes. The towns are unlikely to oppose as NJT funds their county rtes NJT can easily take that funding away.:cool:

ALL the cumberland shuttles duplicate the NJT rtes so if 410 and 408 were to extend south being flex within that zone they can easily interline like that. rendering the shuttles useless hence 410 and 408 gain a new garage and lose DH time as well. NJT will have more versitile and complete rtes. Or local rtes can be created out of these DH runs like a crosstown east west rte. To be honest how many DHs throughout the day are there to washington twp. garage From millville and bridgeton??? per hour and frequency of DH runs as well. I think I may be on to something here.

There are alot of DHS for the 410 to/from Bridgeton.

452AM is a DH to Bridgeton

555AM(Exp) is a DH to Bridgeton

626AM(Exp)is a DH to Bridgeton

655AM(Exp) is a DH to Bridgton

715AM(Exp)is a DH to Bridgeton

1225PM is a DH to Wash. Twp

1249PM is a DH to Bridgeton

115PM is a DH to Wash. Twp

602PM(Exp) is a DH to Wash. Twp

625PM(Exp) is a DH to Wash. Twp

1158PM is a DH to Wash. Twp.

The 408 im not sure which runs do DHS but I see the 410 all the time when im working the 553 so I know which runs do what.

The reason for these DHS is because most of the drivers are starting their shifts and ending their shifts. You cant just get rid of the DHS without knowing why there are DHS.

553 to Salem are you craszy? The route is already 2hrs long and no you dont need a variant. Like I said Salem doesnt seed a bunch of service and again as I said they lucky the 401 402 is even there. Most of them already get a ride or drive to Bridgeton and take the 553. Salem and Bridgeton is a 25min ride...sounds short but NJT wouldnt go for that. Keep dreaming. The 553 needs its own improvements; no extentions. All the 553 needs is a 553X to improve ontime performance for the 553 Local.

There are alot of DHS for the 410 to/from Bridgeton.

452AM is a DH to Bridgeton

555AM(Exp) is a DH to Bridgeton

626AM(Exp)is a DH to Bridgeton

655AM(Exp) is a DH to Bridgton

715AM(Exp)is a DH to Bridgeton

1225PM is a DH to Wash. Twp

1249PM is a DH to Bridgeton

115PM is a DH to Wash. Twp

602PM(Exp) is a DH to Wash. Twp

625PM(Exp) is a DH to Wash. Twp

1158PM is a DH to Wash. Twp.

The 408 im not sure which runs do DHS but I see the 410 all the time when im working the 553 so I know which runs do what.

The reason for these DHS is because most of the drivers are starting their shifts and ending their shifts. You cant just get rid of the DHS without knowing why there are DHS.

553 to Salem are you craszy? The route is already 2hrs long and no you dont need a variant. Like I said Salem doesnt seed a bunch of service and again as I said they lucky the 401 402 is even there. Most of them already get a ride or drive to Bridgeton and take the 553. Salem and Bridgeton is a 25min ride...sounds short but NJT wouldnt go for that. Keep dreaming. The 553 needs its own improvements; no extentions. All the 553 needs is a 553X to improve ontime performance for the 553 Local.

I meant at 90 min frequencies only select trips to salem. And on a (flex zone formation) rider request basis that will determine the rte between bridgeton and salem. Thats it cause select runs will interline with 401. Hence why the 559 and 553 must split up and part ways. Plus only 553X trips will go to salem the reason is after salem garage becomes NJT 553X wont have to DH on eastbound trips however westbound runs starting out will continue to operate from egg harbor. My plan is to ease the workload a single garage will have to take by placing rtes close to their garages hence why 553X will be a salem to AC limited stop version of 553. The regular 553 will of course remain unchanged I am not that insane. dont jump to conclusions about what I am thinking cause its not that easy nor obvious. Thanks for bringing that up. The only real reason why 553X will go to salem is not to meet unmet demand but to either connect with other rtes created bound for wilmington or interline with other rtes on (SELECT runs only) not all runs only a few. Some become 402 or 401 all will accomidate either a driver change or regular interline like what is done with 559. However interlining with 559 will cease after its rte in Ac is changed to test on time performance after the split.

That is just crazy. That will defeat the entire purpose of a 553X even if its select trips. Your talking crazy 553 interlining into 401s Salem does not need all of that service. Before you come up with these ideas you need to get into those areas. There is no point of sending an AC based route to Salem and Wilmington. Delaware isnt in NJTs mind. The 423 was axed because of low ridership and it ran AM & PM rush hours. Doesnt that tell you something? Most of South Jersey peeps work in and around the Phila metro. area. Thats why the vast majority of the buses run through Camden County and into Phila. And if more people dont ride the 468 that shyt is gona be axed also. Same with the 401 and 402. NJT will have no problem keeping the 401 in Woodbury. The only thing thats keeping the 468 in tact is Salem County Trasnit and if they somehow cant run that anymore NJT will make the route very very very limited to the point where they will say to hell with it and axe it.

That is just crazy. That will defeat the entire purpose of a 553X even if its select trips. Your talking crazy 553 interlining into 401s Salem does not need all of that service. Before you come up with these ideas you need to get into those areas. There is no point of sending an AC based route to Salem and Wilmington. Delaware isnt in NJTs mind. The 423 was axed because of low ridership and it ran AM & PM rush hours. Doesnt that tell you something? Most of South Jersey peeps work in and around the Phila metro. area. Thats why the vast majority of the buses run through Camden County and into Phila. And if more people dont ride the 468 that shyt is gona be axed also. Same with the 401 and 402. NJT will have no problem keeping the 401 in Woodbury. The only thing thats keeping the 468 in tact is Salem County Trasnit and if they somehow cant run that anymore NJT will make the route very very very limited to the point where they will say to hell with it and axe it.

(part in bold) is The sticking point.

----------------

What is this love affair w/ Salem county all of a sudden....

Running buses in extremely low density areas just because they don't have (as much) service, doesn't make it anymore justified..... and having buses cross state lines (and pick up pax in it) isn't as easy as it sounds; far from it....

You run buses where the riders are, not where they're aren't....

if there was any latent ridership out there, midday runs on 402 pennsville would not have been cut....

...and to suggest that the 553 should be interlined w/ the 401 ("select trips" or not, is irrelevant), after mentioning yourself on multiple occasions that the 553-559 interlines should cease, is mind boggling..... It's like telling someone they should stop doin heroin, and start smokin weed instead.....

QJT, you run things in a whole... stop acting (posting) before thinking....

Archived