Mangano Selects Veolia to Operate Long Island Bus

PinePower

and where are your planned express buses gunna go?

I have to see which rtes gain those minibuses before I can determine express rtes. The only ones I proposed were suffolk and nassau to suffolk yet still in first stages. Also I dont know which minibuses can use the parkway. Are long beach's half size buses small enough to use the parkway even with the low clearances???

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to see which rtes gain those minibuses before I can determine express rtes. The only ones I proposed were suffolk and nassau to suffolk yet still in first stages. Also I dont know which minibuses can use the parkway. Are long beach's half size buses small enough to use the parkway even with the low clearances???

Commercial Vehicles of any kind arent allowed on the parkway. The only buses that are allowed on the parkway are the short school buses that are made from Ford/Chevy vans. Those are the only ones that can fit under the overpasses. Frankly I cant see express buses working on Long Island, houses are just spread too far apart to make it work, someone would have to drive, get on your express bus, get off then move to a local bus to get to their destination when they can just drive the whole way. Businesses on Long Island have plenty of parking, its not like Manhattan.

NYS would be better off with an intercity bus program where the rural rtes in central NYS are replaced with shortline styled rtes. Where they are intercity but open door on local roads. The intercity rtes will coordinate with each other and be operated by intercity bus companies like trailways(Birnie) that is what NYS needs a complete intercity bus network. Not a statewide operation.

New York state actually has pretty decent service between the various city transit agencies, the smaller county operations, the various rural and intercity routes operated by ShortLine, Trailways, Birnie, etc. Yes, there are gaps without service and some trips that are difficult or time-consuming to make, but you can get to and from most of the state’s larger communities. The big improvement I would like to see is better coordination between the systems – some of the websites are not user-friendly or easy to find. A single common statewide website for both intercity bus and Amtrak would be a good start, with links to local transit websites available when a customer clicks on an origin or destination point.

:cool:

Please don't acknowledge any of his "ideas..."

seriously GROWUP IDIODIC CHILD!!!!! I dont need ignorance from asswipes like you if you dont have an alternative or answer to my question **** off cause you are beyond immature. I didnt even make ideas for LI I just asked a question thats all now try to comprehend that into ur arrogant little brain of urs. Lay off the crack before you speak.

New York state actually has pretty decent service between the various city transit agencies, the smaller county operations, the various rural and intercity routes operated by ShortLine, Trailways, Birnie, etc. Yes, there are gaps without service and some trips that are difficult or time-consuming to make, but you can get to and from most of the state’s larger communities. The big improvement I would like to see is better coordination between the systems – some of the websites are not user-friendly or easy to find. A single common statewide website for both intercity bus and Amtrak would be a good start, with links to local transit websites available when a customer clicks on an origin or destination point.

That is exactly what needs to be done. However it would be better if they removed the isolated rural buses to nowhere and linked the communities in between better to address the gaps. Cause a bus to nowhere then 5 miles another bus to somewhere is waste especially if its only one round trip. An intercity line combining both lines would be much more usefull. If you want user unfrendly look at MASSDOT or just try to understand the different systems. Even a transit lover will get lost LOL. Now dont even get me started on LA!!!!

if you dont like it here, you are welcome to move :P

Nassau is a county where around 90% of the people own cars, that's how we get around here. This is not the city, this is not Queens. If Westchester has a good bus system GOOD FOR THEM, Westchester isn't the same as Nassau. The county government needs to do whats best for Nassau county. If its not worth it spending tons of money on a bus system that only 10% of the population uses, it could be put to better use with a company that can offer a system that works better for Nassau residents, having huge buses drive around the county with like 4 or 5 people in them isn't worth it. It would be better if this newer company took some hints from Long Beach Bus and ordered the half size buses for routes that lack the ridership of the main routes.

Westchester is less developed than Nassau with pockets of higher density, mainly in the south, yet they have a better system and more mainstream ridership. Your attitude is exactly the problem. Its not like there's any room on the road for more cars, the traffic here is horrible! Most of the buses I take are crowded (N20,N22,N27,N35) and need more service. I agree the routes with lighter ridership should have shorter buses, such as the N74,N81,etc. Thats what Westchester has done, they use shorter buses on the lighter routes. I think they are 30' Orion V's.

I just saw a report on the news about LIRR commuters complaining about parking, here's a perfect example for restructuring bus routes, like feeder routes for trains. Westchester has many that run rush hours and connect with trains. And in case people miss their bus due to major MNRR delays, there's a program where someone is re-imbersed for the cab.

But we cannot just throw our hands in the air and say screw the bus system. That 10% is still 100,000 people, working in our stores, doing our lawns, and many other lower paying jobs. But your attitude is typical of the mainstream public in Nassau and that's what needs to change. Westchster seems to get it.

Look at NJT they struggle with their area NYS is way larger imagine MTA trying to run a network larger than NJT = FAIL NJT has the largest coverage and service area they are spread out thin but cant separate due to the regional travel patterns of its ppl which cant be accomidated by smaller bus operations!!! In essence they must actually eat all NJ lines. NYS would be better off with an intercity bus program where the rural rtes in central NYS are replaced with shortline styled rtes. Where they are intercity but open door on local roads. The intercity rtes will coordinate with each other and be operated by intercity bus companies like trailways(Birnie) that is what NYS needs a complete intercity bus network. Not a statewide operation.

I do agree, NY has a completely different layout than NJ and so a statewide MTA would fail. NJ's travel patterns are very different from NY and the population is more spread throughout the entire state, versus in NY where its mainly concentrated in the south and around the cities of Albany, Rochester,etc.

Correct Pine:tup:. 30-foot buses are used on the Bee line, mainly on the 'shuttle buses' and lighter used routes in Northern Westchester such as the #12, #16 and #19.

And the program you talking about is the 'gurantee ride home' in which up to

2x a month, unlimited ride monthly MNRR riders can use the taxi to their house or to get their car within 15 miles of their 'home' station.

Westchester is less developed than Nassau with pockets of higher density, mainly in the south, yet they have a better system and more mainstream ridership. Your attitude is exactly the problem. Its not like there's any room on the road for more cars, the traffic here is horrible! Most of the buses I take are crowded (N20,N22,N27,N35) and need more service. I agree the routes with lighter ridership should have shorter buses, such as the N74,N81,etc. Thats what Westchester has done, they use shorter buses on the lighter routes. I think they are 30' Orion V's.

I just saw a report on the news about LIRR commuters complaining about parking, here's a perfect example for restructuring bus routes, like feeder routes for trains. Westchester has many that run rush hours and connect with trains. And in case people miss their bus due to major MNRR delays, there's a program where someone is re-imbersed for the cab.

But we cannot just throw our hands in the air and say screw the bus system. That 10% is still 100,000 people, working in our stores, doing our lawns, and many other lower paying jobs. But your attitude is typical of the mainstream public in Nassau and that's what needs to change. Westchster seems to get it.

All right, you really need to stop with that.

its easy to solve the LIRR parking problem, build more parking lots, build parking garages. Force to villages to stop overcharging for parking permits and screwing over residents who live near the station but outside village lines and give the LIRR the power to build more parking at the main transfer stations. Granted some of em itll be tough like Great Neck whos lot is WAYYYY too small for what it is. All the main Metro North stations have these grand parking facilities.

And PinePower, I am a Nassau County resident. The only time I would actually ride Long Island bus is if im doing busfan trips. Its 100% unpractical for any destination I need to go to, and ive looked at the schedule. I can either wait around and have to transfer at least once to get where i need to go, or I can just drive and its MUCH faster and easier. Look at Hempstead, or Uniondale, or Roosevelt, or one of the other areas that most Nassau county residents would consider the 'hood and many residents there have cars.

I only recommend restructuring of rtes to cater to the mainstream public thats all if the mainstream peeps can use the buses due to faster speed then more ppl will use the new LIB Some rtes like the elmont rtes however need to bite the dust or be jointly operated by MTA and veolia to keep costs down and increase appeal of the rtes. Remember in LI peeps travel distances and are in need of regional rtes and faster more direct bus rtes. Hence why lines like N46 and 27 would benefit from being rerouted away from hempstead. Its different but hay the same old rtes didnt get the mainstream folks in. So maybe something different from what we are used to in LI will benefit LI's transit network as a whole

Why would you take the 46 and the 27 away from a major transfer point. For many people, like me, that transit center is very useful for me.

its easy to solve the LIRR parking problem, build more parking lots, build parking garages. Force to villages to stop overcharging for parking permits and screwing over residents who live near the station but outside village lines and give the LIRR the power to build more parking at the main transfer stations. Granted some of em itll be tough like Great Neck whos lot is WAYYYY too small for what it is. All the main Metro North stations have these grand parking facilities.

And PinePower, I am a Nassau County resident. The only time I would actually ride Long Island bus is if im doing busfan trips. Its 100% unpractical for any destination I need to go to, and ive looked at the schedule. I can either wait around and have to transfer at least once to get where i need to go, or I can just drive and its MUCH faster and easier. Look at Hempstead, or Uniondale, or Roosevelt, or one of the other areas that most Nassau county residents would consider the 'hood and many residents there have cars.

Not going happen at all

That is exactly what needs to be done. However it would be better if they removed the isolated rural buses to nowhere and linked the communities in between better to address the gaps. Cause a bus to nowhere then 5 miles another bus to somewhere is waste especially if its only one round trip. An intercity line combining both lines would be much more usefull.

Those ‘rural buses to nowhere’ tend to serve very specific needs. I’m OK with the current local setup – let each county decide how much service they want to operate and how to run or buy that service, with state assistance for those who step up to the plate. I would focus greater state-level attention on coordinating the current network of routes connecting the major cities, towns and colleges.

Not going happen at all

there plenty of land in the more major stations to build better multi-level parking facilities, ive been to Hicksville, to Lynbrook, to Valley Stream, to Babylon, the only major station that could use a bigger parking area that wont get it is Great Neck becasue the area is so densely built up.

Blaming the poor for being poor is one of the dumbest things you can do. In this country if you're born with more opportunity than someone else, you do better than that person. It's pretty simple and it's a sad reality.

That much is true.

However, this quote below is not accurate.....

You don't hear of people getting sick of working and just getting "lazy."

Sure you do....

- How about those who aren't looking for work anymore b/c they aint like the "white man" tellin them what to do (which is an excuse of not wantin to work anyway)....

- How about those that want that "fast money" (pretty much meaning, tax free money)...

- How about those that are lookin to obtain money by get rich quick schemes....

- How about those that will rob you of your hard earned money (technologically or by brute force)....

- How about those that PURPOSEFULLY shack up w/ someone of the opposite (or same) sex & seek to mooch off those unsuspecting folks for the rest of their lives....

These people exist.

.....That's not to say I agree w/ that specific quote of via's you're commenting on, b/c I don't.... I don't think it's as ignorant as more as it is selfish..... I do agree w/ your point about "spreading the wealth".....

To sit here and watch the rich get richer & the poor get poorer in this country - to then see the rich bi***ing about taxes they have to pay.... as opposed to seeing the less well off (f*** it, the poor) bi***ing about increased costs of everyday household items & what not; the bare necessities (due to inflation) struggling to make ends meet.... the ones that are really struggling, not the ones that say they're struggling when they know they aren't b/c they wanna "keep it black"....

It's much easier to get 50 dollars from 100 than it is to get $ 1.00 from 50 cents.....

Those ‘rural buses to nowhere’ tend to serve very specific needs. I’m OK with the current local setup – let each county decide how much service they want to operate and how to run or buy that service, with state assistance for those who step up to the plate. I would focus greater state-level attention on coordinating the current network of routes connecting the major cities, towns and colleges.

Why would you take the 46 and the 27 away from a major transfer point. For many people, like me, that transit center is very useful for me.
Dude read lilbluefoxie's comment for a clue quote"Its 100% unpractical for any destination I need to go to, and ive looked at the schedule. I can either wait around and have to transfer at least once to get where i need to go"!!!! The so called major transfer points are not usefull to the MAINstream!!! I am going after the mainstream!!! That is why I reroute 46 away from hempstead as the area N46 serves is a middleupper class area those folk want nothing to do with hempstead so for the few who want hempstead use N70/71/72 or transfer to N48/49 the only thing going for hempstead is a bus terminal and a LIRR line that is not even popular heck its outright slow. The N27 thing will be rectified by N6 extension to roosevelt field. The mainstreams want direct service and direct to their destination. Its not all about ppl without cars who are hard to comeby in LI so the transit needs to represent that. It needs to be structured to keep ppl out of their cars cause that is what nassau is too many cars. Not NYC where no one drives and you have to spoke and hub to cater to transit dependants. N46 in my plan becomes a LTD stop variant of N27. N27 absorbs N51. And rush hour service to all rtes that serve LIRR will improve similar to beeline bus.

Great neck has small parking cause peeps use N58 rather than drive to LIRR.

Sweety dont give up on LIB if the bus is impractical then it should be changed to become practical thats all. More direct rtes. Highway lines on sunrise hwy between suffolk and nassau. Some rtes believe it or not can become LTD variants of others via extension and eliminating need for transfers.

We can debate whether these people are "lazy" all day. Point is, lazy is a word that implies a true desire not to work. That's just a crazily elitist thing to describe all low-income folks as, and while you get a few specific examples like what you said, I think that's kinda missing the point: Via's quote was backhandedly elitist and generally wrong.

Yeah, I'm not gonna debate whether you deem those types in my example there as being lazy or not.... My point was, there ARE poor people that so happen to be lazy; don't wanna work....

In that other post of yours before this last one, it's almost like you're tryna sell us a bill of goods that poor people generally have no stitch of lazy in 'em (because they just so happen to be poor), and that's just not true.... Not gonna let you get slide on that one....

Archived