Mangano Selects Veolia to Operate Long Island Bus

PinePower

Great job Yuki:tup:. You did more work on this important issue than the NYC area reporters who get paid alot of money i.e hello Mr. Mocker.

From my experience using Veoila buses in San Diego and all over Southern Calif. they do have a good repution. My only concern was that this bidding 'fair' and did Mangano have 'conflict of interests' issues in this process?

I sent email to Veoila regardding MetroCard question and I got quick response.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is quite impressive. I do like the customer approach. I think its extremely important Metrocards are kept, and the MTA said they would "help" LI Bus transition to a private operator, so hopefully they wont give too much trouble continuing the use of Metrocard.

I'll go a step further and say that the MTA in the future should look to transition the bus operations in NYC to a private operator (while directly operating the subway only). The MTA should be a vehicle purchaser only.

If done correctly, it could reap benefits for the taxpayers.

Accepting dollar bills=No MetroCards, as MTA fareboxes must be used to take MetroCards.

NYBS and Liberty Lines did have dollar bill fareboxes; upon takeover, the former had its dollar bill acceptors immediately removed, and the latter did after a month. Cubic does make dollar bill fareboxes that can be mounted next to the machine.

Nah, Mangano is still a moron. Chances are if he wasn't in office then we really wouldn't be in this mess today.

Actually, blame Tom Gulotta, who began the shortchanging of the Nassau County bus operations; the MTA should have dropped LI Bus back in 2005.

I'll go a step further and say that the MTA in the future should look to transition the bus operations in NYC to a private operator (while directly operating the subway only). The MTA should be a vehicle purchaser only.

If done correctly, it could reap benefits for the taxpayers.

NYBS and Liberty Lines did have dollar bill fareboxes; upon takeover, the former had its dollar bill acceptors immediately removed, and the latter did after a month. Cubic does make dollar bill fareboxes that can be mounted next to the machine.

Actually, blame Tom Gulotta, who began the shortchanging of the Nassau County bus operations; the MTA should have dropped LI Bus back in 2005.

I wont even lie that could work due to the isolated feeder structure of the NYC bus network the rtes are by the borough so privitization wont even do much damage unless done badly. I have a dutchess plan that relies on transitioning rtes to different operators to enhance service without taxing the resources of dutchess.

I sent email to Veoila regardding MetroCard question and I got quick response.

In case anyone is interested in Michael Setzer's past experience: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/michael-setzer/b/804/186

• Will there be any changes to the policy that states that no local passengers shall be carried in Queens?

Doesn't that bring in more money. For ex: If that policy changes with the N20or N21, the Q12 won't be needed.

In case anyone is interested in Michael Setzer's past experience: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/michael-setzer/b/804/186

Doesn't that bring in more money. For ex: If that policy changes with the N20or N21, the Q12 won't be needed.

THAT POLICY KEEPS N20 on time!!!!! IF the N20 accepts local passengers it would GO NOWHERE FAST!!! They are not gonna piss off the nassau riders with slower service. If they expect to keep the line heavy cause those N20 ppl dont have to use the N20 they could drive if it messes up plus LIbus is not supposed to local on MTA territory.

According to LIB riders, N20/N21 is never on time.

When I was doing a petition to save LIB routes, I remember one beautiful lady waiting for bus for Northern Blvd LIB (not sure if she was waiting for N20/N21) around 7:50. She told everytime same B/O becomes "NOT IN SERVICE" when bus suppose to leave.

According to LIB riders, N20/N21 is never on time.

When I was doing a petition to save LIB routes, I remember one beautiful lady waiting for bus for Northern Blvd LIB (not sure if she was waiting for N20/N21) around 7:50. She told everytime same B/O becomes "NOT IN SERVICE" when bus suppose to leave.

The B/O isnt supposed to do that!!! that is a scheduled trip being intentially cancelled. If the N20/21 accept local passengers its on-time performance will go from bad to HORRIFIC!!!! eventually ppl will stop using the N20/21 lines killing off the rte basically slowing it down is downright suicide!!!!!!! I would create a limited stop variant and eliminate all trips that end at great neck. The LTD stop version interlines with either N80 or 81. The N35 is unknown is it on-time???

JammasterQJ have you ever been on the N20/21? If so you realize majority of the ridership is between Flushing and Great Neck/Roslyn.

The B/O isnt supposed to do that!!! that is a scheduled trip being intentially cancelled. If the N20/21 accept local passengers its on-time performance will go from bad to HORRIFIC!!!! eventually ppl will stop using the N20/21 lines killing off the rte basically slowing it down is downright suicide!!!!!!! I would create a limited stop variant and eliminate all trips that end at great neck. The LTD stop version interlines with either N80 or 81. The N35 is unknown is it on-time???

JammasterQJ have you ever been on the N20/21? If so you realize majority of the ridership is between Flushing and Great Neck/Roslyn.

Most of the short trips are directly behind the roslyn and hicksville trips so the great neck trips are useless!!! I used N20 enough to realize this. :cool: heck the roslyn ones should just become N21s

many ppl who use N20 will most likely agree.

Most of the short trips are directly behind the roslyn and hicksville trips so the great neck trips are useless!!! I used N20 enough to realize this. :cool: heck the roslyn ones should just become N21s

many ppl who use N20 will most likely agree.

I do agree it's plain dumb to schedule a short trip to Roslyn weekdays right after a 'full trip to Hicksville."

On say a rush hour PM schedule this is how the N20 should run with 15 minutes along 'main route' between Flushing and Hicksville.

4:00pm (Limited to Hicksville does not stop at Great Neck LIRR)

415pm 'short trip' to Brookville/CW Post making all stops via Great Neck.

430pm Limited stops to Hicksville via Great Neck.

445pm 'short trip' to Roslyn via Great Neck.

Also if were up to me, I wish the new proposed operators of LI Bus would make the "N21" a limited along Northern between the Main/Roosevelt (7) and Great Neck then all stops to/from Glen Cove. I would also make the "N20" a non stop express between Flushing and Great Neck(except late nights)stopping only at Bell Blvd.

Again I should know as I took the N20 'reguarly' once a week back in spring term 2003 taking a class at CW Post.

Here's another response regardding Amtrak7's Question.

Yuki, I wish I could answer your questions but we need to have an agreement with Nassau County first and then we need to do our own route and schedule study to be able to provide good information to you. I believe in being transparent and providing information to customers in convenient ways, but It is just too early in the process right now. I hope you will be patient. Thanks

Translation: We probably made a promise we couldn't keep, but we'll see.

The D4500s (or D4000s, whatever) had a separate fairbox so you could use dollar bills and coins in one, and the other had your metrocard box. It took out the first row of seating across from the driver.

I do agree it's plain dumb to schedule a short trip to Roslyn weekdays right after a 'full trip to Hicksville."

On say a rush hour PM schedule this is how the N20 should run with 15 minutes along 'main route' between Flushing and Hicksville.

Also if were up to me, I wish the new proposed operators of LI Bus would make the "N21" a limited along Northern between the Main/Roosevelt (7) and Great Neck then all stops to/from Glen Cove. I would also make the "N20" a non stop express between Flushing and Great Neck(except late nights)stopping only at Bell Blvd.

Again I should know as I took the N20 'reguarly' once a week back in spring term 2003 taking a class at CW Post.

Ur good even I wouldnt have thought of that ur real good. Excellent ideas. Plus you read my mind about the short trips being right after the full rtes that is why all great neck short runs should have been eliminated.

If yuki can get such responses then I should give it a shot with my revised transit proposal for LI but I will have to cut out the suffolk portion o well

Nah, Mangano is still a moron. Chances are if he wasn't in office then we really wouldn't be in this mess today.

Yes, they would be. Nassau had been shortchanging the MTA for years and the authority finally got to point of taking a stand.

I strongly disagree w/ the foamers out there that say MTA should be a statewide operation - they can't even sufficiently & adequately provide service in the boroughs, let alone some upstate NY.....

There is no need for a statewide MTA. There are basically four regional transit agencies - CDTA, CNYRTA, RGRTA and NFTA - that coordinate transit operations in multiple cities and towns in their respective areas. The remaining operations are small local systems (Broome County, Watertown, Oneonta, etc) or special situations (TCAT being part of a city-county-university partnership). The various systems have worked together at times to buy buses as a consortium and generally get their vehicles cheaper than the MTA does since most have standardized with Gilligs. Any minimal savings achieved by consolidating back office functions would probably be eaten up by the expense of managing a network of systems spread out over almost 55,000 square miles. Too much hassle for too little reward, IMO.

There is no need for a statewide MTA. There are basically four regional transit agencies - CDTA, CNYRTA, RGRTA and NFTA - that coordinate transit operations in multiple cities and towns in their respective areas. The remaining operations are small local systems (Broome County, Watertown, Oneonta, etc) or special situations (TCAT being part of a city-county-university partnership). The various systems have worked together at times to buy buses as a consortium and generally get their vehicles cheaper than the MTA does since most have standardized with Gilligs. Any minimal savings achieved by consolidating back office functions would probably be eaten up by the expense of managing a network of systems spread out over almost 55,000 square miles. Too much hassle for too little reward, IMO.

Look at NJT they struggle with their area NYS is way larger imagine MTA trying to run a network larger than NJT = FAIL NJT has the largest coverage and service area they are spread out thin but cant separate due to the regional travel patterns of its ppl which cant be accomidated by smaller bus operations!!! In essence they must actually eat all NJ lines. NYS would be better off with an intercity bus program where the rural rtes in central NYS are replaced with shortline styled rtes. Where they are intercity but open door on local roads. The intercity rtes will coordinate with each other and be operated by intercity bus companies like trailways(Birnie) that is what NYS needs a complete intercity bus network. Not a statewide operation.

If yuki can get such responses then I should give it a shot with my revised transit proposal for LI but I will have to cut out the suffolk portion o well

When you say revised, referring back to your e-mail with the list of proposed cuts you thought up, remember, we won't be able to change any of the Queens routes or routes run by the (MTA) because Veolia runs LIB now. And I wouldn't even give Veolia any ideas for cuts yet. Let's see how they run the system first for a few months, and when they start (if they start) having issues and need cuts, then suggest them. For now, I think we all should stay on the safe side. Remember, cuts are Veolia's LAST RESORT according to their contract.

When you say revised, referring back to your e-mail with the list of proposed cuts you thought up, remember, we won't be able to change any of the Queens routes or routes run by the (MTA) because Veolia runs LIB now. And I wouldn't even give Veolia any ideas for cuts yet. Let's see how they run the system first for a few months, and when they start (if they start) having issues and need cuts, then suggest them. For now, I think we all should stay on the safe side. Remember, cuts are Veolia's LAST RESORT according to their contract.

I only recommend restructuring of rtes to cater to the mainstream public thats all if the mainstream peeps can use the buses due to faster speed then more ppl will use the new LIB Some rtes like the elmont rtes however need to bite the dust or be jointly operated by MTA and veolia to keep costs down and increase appeal of the rtes. Remember in LI peeps travel distances and are in need of regional rtes and faster more direct bus rtes. Hence why lines like N46 and 27 would benefit from being rerouted away from hempstead. Its different but hay the same old rtes didnt get the mainstream folks in. So maybe something different from what we are used to in LI will benefit LI's transit network as a whole

Of course, the typical LAWN GUYLANDER making well above $90k a year behind the wheel of a Lexus/BMW/Nissan-dressed-up (Infiniti) says "let it fail."

if you dont like it here, you are welcome to move :(

Nassau is a county where around 90% of the people own cars, that's how we get around here. This is not the city, this is not Queens. If Westchester has a good bus system GOOD FOR THEM, Westchester isn't the same as Nassau. The county government needs to do whats best for Nassau county. If its not worth it spending tons of money on a bus system that only 10% of the population uses, it could be put to better use with a company that can offer a system that works better for Nassau residents, having huge buses drive around the county with like 4 or 5 people in them isn't worth it. It would be better if this newer company took some hints from Long Beach Bus and ordered the half size buses for routes that lack the ridership of the main routes.

if you dont like it here, you are welcome to move :(

Nassau is a county where around 90% of the people own cars, that's how we get around here. This is not the city, this is not Queens. If Westchester has a good bus system GOOD FOR THEM, Westchester isn't the same as Nassau. The county government needs to do whats best for Nassau county. If its not worth it spending tons of money on a bus system that only 10% of the population uses, it could be put to better use with a company that can offer a system that works better for Nassau residents, having huge buses drive around the county with like 4 or 5 people in them isn't worth it. It would be better if this newer company took some hints from Long Beach Bus and ordered the half size buses for routes that lack the ridership of the main routes.

There needs to be a long beach rte that goes to the western part of nassau that is missing big time. The bus network does NOT match the travel patterns of most of nassau's population. If they can get buses small enough to hit the parkway then they can make express buses out of those minibuses sad but robert asshat killed transit in LI with the antitransit BS. We are paying for it now.

There needs to be a long beach rte that goes to the western part of nassau that is missing big time. The bus network does NOT match the travel patterns of most of nassau's population. If they can get buses small enough to hit the parkway then they can make express buses out of those minibuses sad but robert asshat killed transit in LI with the antitransit BS. We are paying for it now.

and where are your planned express buses gunna go?

Archived