Today is the first anniversary of the devastating bus cuts

BrooklynBus

OK; what about running it LTD through all of Brooklyn, on Linden Blvd east of Remsen Av, on Church from Remsen to 36/37 Sts, and then on Ft Hamilton Pkwy from 36/37 Sts to 92 St and the Verrazano? The B5 LTD would make B35 LTD stops from Remsen Av to McDonald Av (except Ocean Pkwy) and the B35 would run local only (which according to you it should do anyway).

Far as that SI-JFK route or w/e... if you're gonna have it run on Linden, it shouldn't make any stops on linden.... that's all I'm sayin bro....

Yeah, and I'll say it as many times as I have to.... The B35 should run local; damn LTD doesn't save much if any time round here, especially during the rush..... and forget about putting another bus route on Church av - we get a bus just about every 3-4 mins during most the day as it is... We don't need a supplementary route of any kind; lack of service isn't an issue.... Dare I say it, East Flatbush is spoiled when it comes to bus service.

*goes to look at your routes in that google map*

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well service b/w SI-Brooklyn can be improved, on a local/limited route basis past Bay Ridge... that I'm not doubting, or disagreeing with.....

When you have residents from the other 4 boroughs all gunning to get to Manhattan in the morning, and away from it in the evening (lol).... it most certainly makes sense to have the whole borough of Manhattan (for all practical purposes), act as a hub for our exp. bus network..... What's been one of the major complaints about our express buses as it pertains to ridership? The low (none, in a lot of cases) amount of riders in the reverse peak direction.... The wasted deadhead mileage issue, and so on & so forth.....

I mean, with a SI-Queens or a Brooklyn-Bronx express route:

- What defines (meaning, in what direction, for AM & PM, would be deemed) the peak direction... In our current network, you know that AM peak dir. = inbound (into manhattan), and PM peak direction = outbound (leaving manhattan)....

- Where are riders from one of the boroughs ultimately trying to get to, within the other borough (and vice versa)...

If none of this is addressed, you'll just have a situation where you're running buses aimlessly from one borough to the other.... aimlessly in the sense that, just to say we have an interborough express bus that doesn't touch manhattan.... also in the sense that, it would pretty much run like a local bus (not making local stops obviously) in both directions, if a peak dir. can't be determined...

Problem with that is, can't run express routes like you would a local.... it's not like my (godforsaken) route, the B35, where you have a slew of ppl coming from both the east @ the west, disembarking in droves @ church av subway (B)(Q) in the morning.... and you know as well as I do that SI-ers would not be willing to "share" an express bus" with Queens residents, so there's that aspect of it also...

just some food for thought....

LOL... Funny you mention that because I was on the X10 yesterday heading to the city and this older middle aged couple was in front of me and the wife must've made some comment about them taking the subway and the husband went crazy. He was like I'm NOT taking the subway. So she continued on about it and he got crankier and said "Just forget it" and then she dropped it. I chuckled when I heard him since that has been something that has been discussed about express bus riders before and I certainly see it on the X1. X10 riders I do see getting off and using the subway, but X1 riders will sit in traffic for 20 mins and upwards instead of using the subway.

As for the sharing the bus comment, hell we don't even like sharing an express bus with folks from say West Brighton and Mariners' Harbor let along another borough. :eek:

Yeah, and I'll say it as many times as I have to.... The B35 should run local; damn LTD doesn't save much if any time round here, especially during the rush..... and forget about putting another bus route on Church av - we get a bus just about every 3-4 mins during most the day as it is... We don't need a supplementary route of any kind; lack of service isn't an issue.... Dare I say it, East Flatbush is spoiled when it comes to bus service.

I was on the BM3 yesterday and we were coming down by Church and there were a good 4 B35s in maybe a few blocks of each other. The service seems necessary as I always see folks waiting at certain stops, but I'm wondering why doesn't the limited help much?? Too many stops??

I've been thinking on that and wondering about the feasibility of a few fairly long LTD routes connecting the outer boroughs together without going through Manhattan. As far as eastern Brooklyn-SI, what about an SI Mall-JFK limited-stop service running via Linden Blvd and Ft. Hamilton Pkwy, called the B5? The full length of the route would be about 1:40 to 2:00 each way, but in the meantime it would link the mall, Seaview Hospital, Petrides School, and St. John Villa Academy with southern and eastern Brooklyn, including running two blocks from Kings County Hospital and right past Maimonides, serving Brookville Hospital and the rec center off Mother Gaston Blvd, and then running nonstop to JFK from Linden Blvd/79 St. It would replace the LTD service on the B35 and provide LTD service along the B15 east of 98 St and along the B16 on Caton Av and Ft. Hamilton Pkwy.

Similarly, what about a new B10 LTD from St. George to Kings Plaza, running on Bay St/Vanderbilt Av/Tompkins St/Hylan Blvd in SI and 86 St/Av X/Knapp St/Av U in Brooklyn? It would essentially provide LTD service for the B1 while in Brooklyn, while allowing people in SI easier access to southern and southeastern Brooklyn and providing a one-seat ride from Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst to Kings Plaza. I've mapped out the ideas below; the orange line is the B5 and the bright yellow line is the B10.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="650" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200421088698928261912.0004a5e1520b4fc98d36a&ie=UTF8&ll=40.64053,-73.994293&spn=0.182362,0.44632&z=11&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200421088698928261912.0004a5e1520b4fc98d36a&ie=UTF8&ll=40.64053,-73.994293&spn=0.182362,0.44632&z=11&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left"></a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

I don't know about any of your proposals. They are a bit ambitious to say the least. If anything any new routes should function on their own and not be replacing any current routes as I can see reliability issues coming into play.

I was on the BM3 yesterday and we were coming down by Church and there were a good 4 B35s in maybe a few blocks of each other. The service seems necessary as I always see folks waiting at certain stops, but I'm wondering why doesn't the limited help much?? Too many stops??

Put it to ya like this....

B35 local stops b/w E 18th st & Utica av:

18th, ocean, flatbush, bedford, rogers, nostrand, NY av, brooklyn, 38th, 40th, 42nd, troy, 46th, 48th, utica...

B35 LTD stops b/w E 18th st & Utica av:

18th, flatbush, bedford, rogers, nostrand, NY av, 42nd, utica

bolded part (red & black) is where the heaviest of the congestion (and double parking) occurs... it can originate as far back as E. 18th itself..... In plain ole english, if you're riding b/w flatbush av & New York av, the LTD makes zero difference.... Literally (as shown in red); as those are all xfer points that are as close as they are to each other....

The Sunset park & kensington folks benefit from the LTD b/c it's a straight shot to Ocean pkwy (an xfer point to the B103), CI av, and E 18th.....

Even the folks on the Brownsville end don't benefit from the LTD, as new lots/e 98th only allow for 1 lane of traffic each way (which is what kills the idea of a B15 LTD), and church av over there in the E 90's... man, it's a slow drag all along, up until you past E. 18th (heading towards sunset park).....

Well service b/w SI-Brooklyn can be improved, on a local/limited route basis past Bay Ridge... that I'm not doubting, or disagreeing with.....

When you have residents from the other 4 boroughs all gunning to get to Manhattan in the morning, and away from it in the evening (lol).... it most certainly makes sense to have the whole borough of Manhattan (for all practical purposes), act as a hub for our exp. bus network..... What's been one of the major complaints about our express buses as it pertains to ridership? The low (none, in a lot of cases) amount of riders in the reverse peak direction.... The wasted deadhead mileage issue, and so on & so forth.....

I mean, with a SI-Queens or a Brooklyn-Bronx express route:

- What defines (meaning, in what direction, for AM & PM, would be deemed) the peak direction... In our current network, you know that AM peak dir. = inbound (into manhattan), and PM peak direction = outbound (leaving manhattan)....

- Where are riders from one of the boroughs ultimately trying to get to, within the other borough (and vice versa)...

If none of this is addressed, you'll just have a situation where you're running buses aimlessly from one borough to the other.... aimlessly in the sense that, just to say we have an interborough express bus that doesn't touch manhattan.... also in the sense that, it would pretty much run like a local bus (not making local stops obviously) in both directions, if a peak dir. can't be determined...

Problem with that is, can't run express routes like you would a local.... it's not like my (godforsaken) route, the B35, where you have a slew of ppl coming from both the east @ the west, disembarking in droves @ church av subway (B)(Q) in the morning.... and you know as well as I do that SI-ers would not be willing to "share" an express bus" with Queens residents, so there's that aspect of it also...

just some food for thought....

That was what I was trying to address in my earlier plans before I came up with guideway busway idea. But unlike that the buses pass through manhattan.

Granted the X90 doesn't need them, but I think the (MTA) is smart in keeping the express bus fleet uniform. As I've said before there have been times when they have been short on express buses due to massive breakdowns and having a uniform fleet allows them to pull express buses from other depots if need be to meet demand. It's not just about the X90 and where it goes, but about the overall express bus system and from that point of view, it makes perfect sense to use those MCIs on the X90 and any other express bus route. Another thing that is also done is that some MCIs are stored at MJQ to run evening runs and so if you had a bus out of Yukon or any other depot that broke down, you could pull an MCI from MJQ I suppose if need be.

As for the resurrection of the X90 it should be brought back but with less frequency. I think everyone agrees that the frequencies were way too high. If the route can be a cost effective one I see no reason why it shouldn't be run. Enough about this elitist BS. The route served the folks of the Upper East Side and Yorkville in a way that neither the M15 SBS nor the (4)(5)(6) train ever will and that is the main reason for it in the first place. I think the (MTA) knows this, but they're just trying to push the M15 SBS because they want it to be successful hence why they axed the X90.

If and when the SAS subway is up and running then I could see them considering axing the X90, but even then if the ridership is there there and it is cost effective then there is no reason to get rid of it.

Even I don't think that the MTA is dumb enough to axe the X90 in hopes of riders taking the select bus. The M15SBS is a joke, and during rush hour the timetable on the MTA's website says it's gonna take just under an hour to get down. There's so much construction going on on 2nd Avenue which will last for many more years, and it hits a lot of traffic in the 60's because of the 59th street bridge traffic.

And about all of this "elitist" crap... If there's a demand for transportation from a certain place to a certain place then who cares who the riders are? The MTA is just losing business to private transportation now.

Even I don't think that the MTA is dumb enough to axe the X90 in hopes of riders taking the select bus. The M15SBS is a joke, and during rush hour the timetable on the MTA's website says it's gonna take just under an hour to get down. There's so much construction going on on 2nd Avenue which will last for many more years, and it hits a lot of traffic in the 60's because of the 59th street bridge traffic.

And about all of this "elitist" crap... If there's a demand for transportation from a certain place to a certain place then who cares who the riders are? The MTA is just losing business to private transportation now.

Well that was their reasoning behind axing the X90. I also agree that the creation of the X90 has nothing to do with elitism. The line was needed simply because there was no subway access on the East Side besides the (4)(5) and (6). People are entitled to be snobs if they want to. That has nothing to do with providing them service at all. News flash... Snobs exist everywhere, so if folks think that that's a reason to eliminate a line then I guess they'll be plenty of routes eliminated. LOL

Aside from that the M15 SBS IMO is nothing more than a glorified limited stop bus. Nothing all that quick about it in comparison to the X90 esp. since it doesn't even serve the same areas that the X90 did.

Far as that SI-JFK route or w/e... if you're gonna have it run on Linden, it shouldn't make any stops on linden.... that's all I'm sayin bro....

*goes to look at your routes in that google map*

Put it to ya like this....

B35 local stops b/w E 18th st & Utica av:

18th, ocean, flatbush, bedford, rogers, nostrand, NY av, brooklyn, 38th, 40th, 42nd, troy, 46th, 48th, utica...

B35 LTD stops b/w E 18th st & Utica av:

18th, flatbush, bedford, rogers, nostrand, NY av, 42nd, utica

bolded part (red & black) is where the heaviest of the congestion (and double parking) occurs... it can originate as far back as E. 18th itself..... In plain ole english, if you're riding b/w flatbush av & New York av, the LTD makes zero difference.... Literally (as shown in red); as those are all xfer points that are as close as they are to each other....

The Sunset park & kensington folks benefit from the LTD b/c it's a straight shot to Ocean pkwy (an xfer point to the B103), CI av, and E 18th.....

Even the folks on the Brownsville end don't benefit from the LTD, as new lots/e 98th only allow for 1 lane of traffic each way (which is what kills the idea of a B15 LTD), and church av over there in the E 90's... man, it's a slow drag all along, up until you past E. 18th (heading towards sunset park).....

Oh, OK. I don't know the area very well so I didn't realize that Church Av turned into such a choke point. I've heard enough complaints about poor/thinly spread/infrequent/nonexistent service that I'm not used to thinking of areas as overserved B)

I don't know about any of your proposals. They are a bit ambitious to say the least. If anything any new routes should function on their own and not be replacing any current routes as I can see reliability issues coming into play.

I see what you're saying and none of the stuff I put in that map would actually replace routes already in existence. The routes are all LTDs and are intended to be overlaid on top of existing service patterns with only very minor adjustments; there are no corresponding Bx50/Q81/Q94/B5/B10 LCL routes.

Individually:

The Bx50 would run as an all-day LTD from Norwood to JFK via Williamsbridge and Webster/Melrose Avs in the Bronx and Astoria Blvd in Queens. The only thing being replaced by this bus would be the Bx41 LTD, which only runs during rush at 10-15 minute headways as it is. Bx41 local riders would not experience any changes to their commuted. As for the route itself, Astoria Blvd is usually fine trafficwise even during rush, as is Webster north of Fordham Rd. Webster south of Fordham Rd might be a bit of an issue, but it's currently getting two buses every 10 minutes during rush and I haven't heard/seen that many issues there. Norwood might be a problem because of the narrow streets, but it's already handling five bus routes with relative grace so I don't think one more would hurt that much.

The Q81 would also run as an all-day LTD from Bay Plaza and Pelham Bay to JFK via Westchester and Tremont Avs and Springfield Blvd in Queens. This bus would not be replacing any current service at all, except maybe two or three Q27 LTD runs during rush. There would be no effect on Q27, or Bx40/42 headways. Almost all of the route in Queens runs on Springfield Blvd, which is a fairly wide four-lane road with ample room for traffic to pass. In the Bronx, Tremont Av south of the square is four lanes as well and fairly fast-moving. The only potential bunch-up patches are on Bell Blvd and on Westchester Av. Bell doesn't seem that bad overall, so Westchester Av is the only part I'd really worry about. That's only about a mile or so; not great but not the end of the world either.

The Q94 was an idea that has already been floating around for a while (even for a time under that designation) as far as providing Jamaica-Flushing-Fordham service that runs LTD in the Bronx. While it would duplicate the Q44 it would not replace it; there might be a few converted runs but 75% of the Q94 runs would be new. In Queens I think it can work just fine; it duplicates the Q44 between Jamaica and West Farms and the Q44 does fine even during rush. The stretch from West Farms to Bedford Park and 242 St is one I grew up riding various sections of, and aside from a few issues on Fordham Rd (which the bus lanes mostly solved) there should be no problem moving buses along there. The 242 St connection is weekdays only and there for riders in Queens and the southeast Bronx that work in Yonkers and vice versa (yes, they exist) so that they only have to do one transfer instead of two. If the extension flops, cut it back to Bedford Park.

The B5 (SI Mall-JFK) was one of the ideas I'd thought about for a while because of how big a pain it is to get from SI to parts of eastern Brooklyn. It originally started out as running from the SI Mall to the Gateway Ctr but from there a JFK extension seemed natural. Even in its current form the only thing it would be replacing would be the B35 LTD, which is apparently unnecessary. I don't know eastern Brooklyn very well, and the idea of running it LTD on Church and New Lots Av turned out not to work so well :) Still thinking on that one.

Finally, the B10 (St. George-Kings Plaza) was something I thought up in response to your comment that taking two express buses to get from SI to the Sheepshead Bay area was the fastest public transit option you could find. I figured running it through that area would generate a fair amount of demand because currently St. George-southern Brooklyn requires three buses yet it's physically close enough for one to make the trip without too much trouble and Kings Plaza provides a great opportunity to provide connections to service all over Brooklyn.

Aside from that the M15 SBS IMO is nothing more than a glorified limited stop bus. Nothing all that quick about it in comparison to the X90 esp. since it doesn't even serve the same areas that the X90 did.

Also since we already have to walk 2 avenue blocks to catch the select bus, we'll just walk another 2 avenue blocks and catch the train which will get us down there in less than half the time.

I can imagine the X15 or the X12 having a stop at 95 St or 86 St Stations for riders to connect with the (R) train.

Perhaps if the X18 or the X20 were rerouted to serve Downtown Brooklyn(versus discontinuation), there could be a stop at Fingerboard Road/Narrows Rd for riders for other express routes to transfer to the Downtown Brooklyn express line.

good idea

Oh, OK. I don't know the area very well so I didn't realize that Church Av turned into such a choke point. I've heard enough complaints about poor/thinly spread/infrequent/nonexistent service that I'm not used to thinking of areas as overserved :P

I see what you're saying and none of the stuff I put in that map would actually replace routes already in existence. The routes are all LTDs and are intended to be overlaid on top of existing service patterns with only very minor adjustments; there are no corresponding Bx50/Q81/Q94/B5/B10 LCL routes.

Individually:

The Bx50 would run as an all-day LTD from Norwood to JFK via Williamsbridge and Webster/Melrose Avs in the Bronx and Astoria Blvd in Queens. The only thing being replaced by this bus would be the Bx41 LTD, which only runs during rush at 10-15 minute headways as it is. Bx41 local riders would not experience any changes to their commuted. As for the route itself, Astoria Blvd is usually fine trafficwise even during rush, as is Webster north of Fordham Rd. Webster south of Fordham Rd might be a bit of an issue, but it's currently getting two buses every 10 minutes during rush and I haven't heard/seen that many issues there. Norwood might be a problem because of the narrow streets, but it's already handling five bus routes with relative grace so I don't think one more would hurt that much.

The Q81 would also run as an all-day LTD from Bay Plaza and Pelham Bay to JFK via Westchester and Tremont Avs and Springfield Blvd in Queens. This bus would not be replacing any current service at all, except maybe two or three Q27 LTD runs during rush. There would be no effect on Q27, or Bx40/42 headways. Almost all of the route in Queens runs on Springfield Blvd, which is a fairly wide four-lane road with ample room for traffic to pass. In the Bronx, Tremont Av south of the square is four lanes as well and fairly fast-moving. The only potential bunch-up patches are on Bell Blvd and on Westchester Av. Bell doesn't seem that bad overall, so Westchester Av is the only part I'd really worry about. That's only about a mile or so; not great but not the end of the world either.

The Q94 was an idea that has already been floating around for a while (even for a time under that designation) as far as providing Jamaica-Flushing-Fordham service that runs LTD in the Bronx. While it would duplicate the Q44 it would not replace it; there might be a few converted runs but 75% of the Q94 runs would be new. In Queens I think it can work just fine; it duplicates the Q44 between Jamaica and West Farms and the Q44 does fine even during rush. The stretch from West Farms to Bedford Park and 242 St is one I grew up riding various sections of, and aside from a few issues on Fordham Rd (which the bus lanes mostly solved) there should be no problem moving buses along there. The 242 St connection is weekdays only and there for riders in Queens and the southeast Bronx that work in Yonkers and vice versa (yes, they exist) so that they only have to do one transfer instead of two. If the extension flops, cut it back to Bedford Park.

The B5 (SI Mall-JFK) was one of the ideas I'd thought about for a while because of how big a pain it is to get from SI to parts of eastern Brooklyn. It originally started out as running from the SI Mall to the Gateway Ctr but from there a JFK extension seemed natural. Even in its current form the only thing it would be replacing would be the B35 LTD, which is apparently unnecessary. I don't know eastern Brooklyn very well, and the idea of running it LTD on Church and New Lots Av turned out not to work so well :P Still thinking on that one.

Finally, the B10 (St. George-Kings Plaza) was something I thought up in response to your comment that taking two express buses to get from SI to the Sheepshead Bay area was the fastest public transit option you could find. I figured running it through that area would generate a fair amount of demand because currently St. George-southern Brooklyn requires three buses yet it's physically close enough for one to make the trip without too much trouble and Kings Plaza provides a great opportunity to provide connections to service all over Brooklyn.

B5 I think should use Linden blvd with half the stops of B35 LTD to actually be effective as a LTD. B10 should replace the discontinued portion of the B4 via the belt parkway then use knapp street to get to kings plaza.

Oh, OK. I don't know the area very well so I didn't realize that Church Av turned into such a choke point. I've heard enough complaints about poor/thinly spread/infrequent/nonexistent service that I'm not used to thinking of areas as overserved

in this (transit) community, we're all prone to the complaints....

Being in an area that's well served, surface transit-wise (I wouldn't say overserved... these buses are seeing good seated loads around here), this makes it easier for me to judge what other areas in the boroughs deserve the service they get, and which areas are underserved.....

He has a point....

The Q53 down in the Rockaways is a supplement to the (very) poor subway service on the Rockaway park spur... it's gotten so bad down there that the bus is actually the primary mode of travel; the train is secondary, not even considered in most cases.... the conga line of Q53 pax waitin in front the B. 116th station is further proof of that... and that's a daily thing w/ that route....

The B103 brings ppl from a dense part of Brooklyn (canarsie), to the biggest business district in the borough (downtown brooklyn)... it took riders off the overcrowded B6 and the 2/5 @ Flatbush av.... As you know, they only have the (L) over there, which doesn't go downtown... so the B103 was a remedy in that regard....

You're starting to see more people ride (from canarsie, etc) ride it past the junction, and into downtown.... Before, you just had the masses pile out @ the subway station, with about 5-10 ppl on the bus... That's not the case w/ that route anymore...

What via's trying to say is that, you have to address a real/major concern when you think up these limited/"super" limited routes.... Sending routes to airports (while ideal a place to end a bus route) doesn't address a daily concern; it's more of a convenience than anything....

Quite frankly, the only route I see a realistic daily use for, is that SI-kings plaza route.... the amount of riders to be maximally drawn to such a route, is gonna depend where you route it in Brooklyn...

Well, you fund it then. Why should the MTA with it's deficits support a line that serves the 'elite'? Manhattan has more than enough alternatives. Compare that to the other 4 boroughs that are not as fortunate as manhattan.

They WERE interested in funding it and they DID. The market isn't the reason why the X90 isn't there now. Hopefully, I'll have good news tomorrow after the hearing.

They WERE interested in funding it and they DID. The market isn't the reason why the X90 isn't there now. Hopefully, I'll have good news tomorrow after the hearing.

I sure hope you come out with good news this time. But you're sure that everything's legit this time around?

I sure hope you come out with good news this time. But you're sure that everything's legit this time around?

Everything was legit last time around. This is a power play. People who break the law are often fined heavily or towed. They do not want your community (or most others) procuring its own bus service.

Everything was legit last time around. This is a power play. People who break the law are often fined heavily or towed. They do not want your community (or most others) procuring its own bus service.

Now if LA were to take that same advice they wouldn't be so hard to navigate. Communities within metropolitan areas DO NOT need their own bus service!!!!

Now if LA were to take that same advice they wouldn't be so hard to navigate. Communities within metropolitan areas DO NOT need their own bus service!!!!

LOL...so instead of having their own service, they would have nothing, resulting in an easier commute by having fewer choices to travel.

:cool:

LOL...so instead of having their own service, they would have nothing, resulting in an easier commute by having fewer choices to travel.
An easier commute is best with many choices but each choice must have a unique aspect.

That was not what I meant at all. I meant separate community bus service independantly from the city and the metropolitan area's main transit network. Not as in community having transit service. Think about it if NYC was divided into 20 bus operators like bensonhurst bus coney island bus and bay ridge bus and a main MTA bus network how easy will it to find bus information??? Now multiply that by 30+ separate PUBLIC transit agencies in LA imagine NYC like that???? HELL for anyone tring to use transit and a turn off. Cause if one of them makes service cuts and the other doesn't then the network becomes unbalanced and would collapse on itself in a domino effect as ridership drops little by little.

:cool: An easier commute is best with many choices but each choice must have a unique aspect.

That was not what I meant at all. I meant separate community bus service independantly from the city and the metropolitan area's main transit network. Not as in community having transit service. Think about it if NYC was divided into 20 bus operators like bensonhurst bus coney island bus and bay ridge bus and a main MTA bus network how easy will it to find bus information??? Now multiply that by 30+ separate PUBLIC transit agencies in LA imagine NYC like that???? HELL for anyone tring to use transit and a turn off. Cause if one of them makes service cuts and the other doesn't then the network becomes unbalanced and would collapse on itself in a domino effect as ridership drops little by little.

NJ Transit seems to have found a balance as far as private carriers are concerned. We could always learn from them. It seems a lot easier to start and run a bus service in NJ than in NYC. That having been said...

...Mr Azumah, what would you plan on doing if you succeed?

Now how about you elaborate on that since we folks that keep foaming about the X90 being a waste and so costly and yada yada yada...

NJ Transit seems to have found a balance as far as private carriers are concerned. We could always learn from them. It seems a lot easier to start and run a bus service in NJ than in NYC. That having been said...

...Mr Azumah, what would you plan on doing if you succeed?

I hope LA learns from NJT lol they need it.!!!!! Azumeth X90 may succeed

:cool: An easier commute is best with many choices but each choice must have a unique aspect.

The problem with large operators is that their ability to address local community needs on their own weakens. Their decisions to service local needs have to be weighed against the network and sometimes, it just won't work. Hence, a new community based service may need to be formed. The Borough Park to Manhattan express bus operated for the Hasidic Jews wouldn't exist if it were up to the MTA. Neither would the Williamsburg Trolley or the Downtown Connection or the Hampton Jitney. Consolidation is great for costs, but it is usually bad for service.

I think it was unique but its structure was flawed in many ways

The only problem with the X90 is that it had too many buses. The travel time savings for the target market was substantial. The service was direct, focused, and the routing was very good. The people who want to change it don't understand why it was there.

Archived