Today is the first anniversary of the devastating bus cuts

BrooklynBus

Also, crosstown buses are a joke. Most of the people are going to the West Side, and from York to Lex it can take up to 15 minutes because there are so many people boarding at each stop. I remember years ago getting to Lexington was actually fast when there used to be skip-stop service in which two buses would leave at once and one would stop at York and 2nd while the other would stop at 1st and 3rd.

Its the same amount of waiting time if you get caught stuck somewhere on the Lexington Avenue Line during rush hour neither one is fun!

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly, at least I know I'm moving along on the west side lines. I'm just glad I don't live on the UES anymore. that commute would be a total hazard on my health.

It used to be so easy... just walk to the corner and catch the X90 right down. Now I have a half mile walk to the subway station, which is faster than taking the crosstown bus.

Just want to point out that if someone's final destination is Wall Street then the $5.50 fare is NOTHING. They literally make that much in one minute.

Also, crosstown buses are a joke. Most of the people are going to the West Side, and from York to Lex it can take up to 15 minutes because there are so many people boarding at each stop. I remember years ago getting to Lexington was actually fast when there used to be skip-stop service in which two buses would leave at once and one would stop at York and 2nd while the other would stop at 1st and 3rd.

it should come back then cause ppl hate slow

Well, you fund it then. Why should the MTA with it's deficits support a line that serves the 'elite'? Manhattan has more than enough alternatives. Compare that to the other 4 boroughs that are not as fortunate as manhattan.

Thank you very much!!!. I don't get why ppl are not understand that fact!

Well, you fund it then. Why should the MTA with it's deficits support a line that serves the 'elite'? Manhattan has more than enough alternatives. Compare that to the other 4 boroughs that are not as fortunate as manhattan.

to me it's not even that big a deal that is a yorkville issue not my issue I guess ur right o well. I won't lose sleep over it anyway cause I don't really care for NYC buses in manhattan

When I go to MET via M15SBS, I always choose M79 because M86 meets Lex Av Subway which delays bus. For M79, there's no one from Lex Av Subway running from 77th St Station for bus, so M79 is little quicker than M86.

but the time waiting for a local train and the slowness of the (6) can eliminate the time savings in a sense

What's all this talk about turning the x90's into a local route....

...and turning the x32 into a local route also???

can anyone seriously tell me that there's really a demand for Bayside - Bronx travel or Fresh Meadows - Bronx travel ??? Jamaica - Bronx is already a reality, and it comes in the form of the Q44.....

there's nothin that could've been done to make the x32 more useful.... express buses in our system have to serve manhattan in some form or fashion, due to the fact that's where 2 of the largest CBD's are... Intraborough expresses w/i the other 3 boroughs (bronx-bronx, brooklyn-brooklyn, queens-queens), or interborough expresses that don't serve manhattan, will virtually yield 0 riders (due to lack of demand)... I can't see any SI-er paying $5.50 to get to Brooklyn or Queens... can't see any Brooklynite paying $5.50 to get to Queens or the Bronx... can't see any Bronxite paying $5.50 to get to Queens or Brooklyn....

Last thing we need is exp. routes carrying air, or morphing express buses into local/limited routes.....

can anyone seriously tell me that there's really a demand for Bayside - Bronx travel or Fresh Meadows - Bronx travel ??? Jamaica - Bronx is already a reality, and it comes in the form of the Q44.....

there's nothin that could've been done to make the x32 more useful.... express buses in our system have to serve manhattan in some form or fashion, due to the fact that's where 2 of the largest CBD's are... Intraborough expresses w/i the other 3 boroughs (bronx-bronx, brooklyn-brooklyn, queens-queens), or interborough expresses that don't serve manhattan, will virtually yield 0 riders (due to lack of demand)... I can't see any SI-er paying $5.50 to get to Brooklyn or Queens... can't see any Brooklynite paying $5.50 to get to Queens or the Bronx... can't see any Bronxite paying $5.50 to get to Queens or Brooklyn....

Last thing we need is exp. routes carrying air, or morphing express buses into local/limited routes.....

Well said:tup::tup:

I actually was going after new riders to try and take ppl off of the lexington ave lines. By making the route more affordable thus increasing ridership to offset the cost of the LTD route however your post does have a valid truth to it so you win this time. OK if demand rose then why did you say it was too frequent earlier elaborate on that

This is clearly a case where you clearly dont know two shits about the x90. You CANNOT convert a line like that into a LTD because it would only be another M15 Limited. You will NEVER find new riders because it would be the same people that RIDE the M15 to begin with. Making it a LTD would COST MORE overall!

Excellent post.

The X90 was an express bus because we'd rather dish out an extra $3.25 than walk 4 avenue blocks to Lex and literally push and shove to get in a train. And that is definitely supported with the fact that a lot of us stranded X90 riders have turned to Wall Street express vans or the cab stand at 79th which charge $6.

I've used the express vans a couple of times. I'm surprised that carrier didn't try to market themselves like TransportAzumah and Brooklyn Van Line did, especially when they can use FDR north of 23 Street.

The only way I'll support a resurrection of the X90 is if:

1. The MTA either

1A. orders a handful of suburban LFS

1B. converts some RTS and/or Orion 5s to suburban use, and

2. reduces the frequency to 12 minutes at it's peak; it used to operate under 10-minute frequency at it's peak. That was not needed.

A line like the X90 does not need MCIs. It would do fine with standard buses with suburban seating. If anything, the 1996 three-digit Orion 5.501s and 9000-series RTS could use a slight overhaul and have its seats reconfigured. If standard suburban-spec'd buses do become prevalent within the future, the buses that are on their way out within its last three years could operate on express lines, as they would only have to do a couple runs a day and stay idle on weekends and holidays when the X90 does not run.

I actually think some folks would use the express bus to get from Staten Island to Queens or the Bronx. There are many Staten Islanders that are forced to drive because they have no quite transportation to the outerboroughs and this is something that has been discussed on Staten Island for years, as many of them do work in the outerboroughs. The only question is how much demand would it yield? My aunt worked in Brooklyn for some years and she basically had to drive in from Staten Island.

Me and checkmate have been talking about creating a limited stop service to serve the Eastern portion of Brooklyn from Staten Island. The reason behind it is that there are so many Brooklyn transplants that have moved to Staten Island like he and I that there could be decent demand for some sort of service. As it is now, I go back to Sheepshead Bay at least once or twice every month and I was just there yesterday. Before I started taking the express bus, I was forced to go to Manhattan to get back into Brooklyn and always was so frustrated that there was no quick alternative to go the Eastern part of Brooklyn directly.

What I have to do now is take the express bus into the city and then transfer to the BM3 to go back to Sheepshead Bay from the city, which is much better actually time wise than the old set up I would use. That's basically just one transfer as opposed to before.

I think the (MTA)'s thinking process is that express bus service should only serve the outerborough folks going to Manhattan with the thinking that there's the biggest demand there and I don't fault them for thinking that because that makes sense, but they have clearly overlooked other needs such as outerborough transportation (i.e. Brooklyn to Staten Island outside of Bay Ridge).

The only way I'll support a resurrection of the X90 is if:

1. The MTA either

1A. orders a handful of suburban LFS

1B. converts some RTS and/or Orion 5s to suburban use, and

2. reduces the frequency to 12 minutes at it's peak; it used to operate under 10-minute frequency at it's peak. That was not needed.

A line like the X90 does not need MCIs. It would do fine with standard buses with suburban seating. If anything, the 1996 three-digit Orion 5.501s and 9000-series RTS could use a slight overhaul and have its seats reconfigured. If standard suburban-spec'd buses do become prevalent within the future, the buses that are on their way out within its last three years could operate on express lines, as they would only have to do a couple runs a day and stay idle on weekends and holidays when the X90 does not run.

Granted the X90 doesn't need them, but I think the (MTA) is smart in keeping the express bus fleet uniform. As I've said before there have been times when they have been short on express buses due to massive breakdowns and having a uniform fleet allows them to pull express buses from other depots if need be to meet demand. It's not just about the X90 and where it goes, but about the overall express bus system and from that point of view, it makes perfect sense to use those MCIs on the X90 and any other express bus route. Another thing that is also done is that some MCIs are stored at MJQ to run evening runs and so if you had a bus out of Yukon or any other depot that broke down, you could pull an MCI from MJQ I suppose if need be.

As for the resurrection of the X90 it should be brought back but with less frequency. I think everyone agrees that the frequencies were way too high. If the route can be a cost effective one I see no reason why it shouldn't be run. Enough about this elitist BS. The route served the folks of the Upper East Side and Yorkville in a way that neither the M15 SBS nor the (4)(5)(6) train ever will and that is the main reason for it in the first place. I think the (MTA) knows this, but they're just trying to push the M15 SBS because they want it to be successful hence why they axed the X90.

If and when the SAS subway is up and running then I could see them considering axing the X90, but even then if the ridership is there there and it is cost effective then there is no reason to get rid of it.

What if the MTA makes one of their North Shore and one of their South Shore buses make a stop in Brooklyn before continuing into Manhattan/Staten Island? Would that be a good idea?

What if the MTA makes one of their North Shore and one of their South Shore buses make a stop in Brooklyn before continuing into Manhattan/Staten Island? Would that be a good idea?

Perhaps. B35 mentioned that many Staten Islanders drive over to the X27 and X28 which still baffles the hell out of me. The only explanation that I can come up with is that these folks are either Brooklyn transplants from Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, etc. that somehow feel that their commutes are quicker or that they can get on the express bus easier or they're Staten Islanders with the same thinking. With these cuts to express bus service on Staten Island if buses f*ck up even in the slightest in the morning you could be waiting a good little while to get on one (a good 30 minutes alone), not to mention all of the parking problems over by the Verrazano bridge. They are basically providing just enough service and nothing for any overflows which is a dangerous scenario because ridership fluctuates on Staten Island a ton.

I think those folks going over to the X27 and X28 are smart in a way, as both lines run very well and serve both Downtown and Midtown well, and there are no issues with folks getting seats and such.

That's the one thing that lines like the X20 did... They served as overflow lines when the X1s and other lines in particular f*cked up. The last three stops are the biggest ones going towards the Verrazano and when the (MTA) made those cuts, folks didn't necessarily stop taking the express bus, they just shifted their travel patterns, so while they may think that they're saving by axing some lines they're going to have to provide service one way or another.

what about r8x

but the time waiting for a local train and the slowness of the (6) can eliminate the time savings in a sense

He wasn't trying to take the Lexington Avenue Line. I believe the MET is by 5th Avenue/82nd Street, so he would take the M15 +SBS+ to 79th Street and then take the M79 without setting foot on the Lexington Avenue Line.

The problem with the Q44 is that it makes too many stops along Main Street. If they cut out some of those stops, it would be more attractive to riders.

What do you think about these stops being eliminated:

73rd Avenue

Reeves Avenue

Elder Avenue

17th Road

As far as interborough express buses go, I'm sure there is some demand for express service, but not a whole lot. For example, a relative of mine sometimes has to go to Queens, by Woodhaven Blvd, and if there was a direct express bus, he would take that rather than the X17J->(M) (of course, it would have to be frequent enough that it would be faster than taking the X17J->(M), and there isn'tenough demand to justify that type of frequency)

Of course, I'm not suggesting that a bus be run for a few passengers making his type of trip, but there is some demand.

I actually think some folks would use the express bus to get from Staten Island to Queens or the Bronx. There are many Staten Islanders that are forced to drive because they have no quite transportation to the outerboroughs and this is something that has been discussed on Staten Island for years, as many of them do work in the outerboroughs. The only question is how much demand would it yield? My aunt worked in Brooklyn for some years and she basically had to drive in from Staten Island.

Me and checkmate have been talking about creating a limited stop service to serve the Eastern portion of Brooklyn from Staten Island. The reason behind it is that there are so many Brooklyn transplants that have moved to Staten Island like he and I that there could be decent demand for some sort of service. As it is now, I go back to Sheepshead Bay at least once or twice every month and I was just there yesterday. Before I started taking the express bus, I was forced to go to Manhattan to get back into Brooklyn and always was so frustrated that there was no quick alternative to go the Eastern part of Brooklyn directly.

What I have to do now is take the express bus into the city and then transfer to the BM3 to go back to Sheepshead Bay from the city, which is much better actually time wise than the old set up I would use. That's basically just one transfer as opposed to before.

I think the (MTA)'s thinking process is that express bus service should only serve the outerborough folks going to Manhattan with the thinking that there's the biggest demand there and I don't fault them for thinking that because that makes sense, but they have clearly overlooked other needs such as outerborough transportation (i.e. Brooklyn to Staten Island outside of Bay Ridge).

The difference is that the route I proposed would be a limited-stop bus, so it would have some turnover, especially in Brooklyn. Either that, or the route can travel within Brooklyn, but have an easy connection to the S53/79/93.

For starters, the least the MTA can do is try to give the B1 some limited-stop service. It seems to have the frequency and ridership for it.

Granted the X90 doesn't need them, but I think the (MTA) is smart in keeping the express bus fleet uniform. As I've said before there have been times when they have been short on express buses due to massive breakdowns and having a uniform fleet allows them to pull express buses from other depots if need be to meet demand. It's not just about the X90 and where it goes, but about the overall express bus system and from that point of view, it makes perfect sense to use those MCIs on the X90 and any other express bus route. Another thing that is also done is that some MCIs are stored at MJQ to run evening runs and so if you had a bus out of Yukon or any other depot that broke down, you could pull an MCI from MJQ I suppose if need be.

As for the resurrection of the X90 it should be brought back but with less frequency. I think everyone agrees that the frequencies were way too high. If the route can be a cost effective one I see no reason why it shouldn't be run. Enough about this elitist BS. The route served the folks of the Upper East Side and Yorkville in a way that neither the M15 SBS nor the (4)(5)(6) train ever will and that is the main reason for it in the first place. I think the (MTA) knows this, but they're just trying to push the M15 SBS because they want it to be successful hence why they axed the X90.

If and when the SAS subway is up and running then I could see them considering axing the X90, but even then if the ridership is there there and it is cost effective then there is no reason to get rid of it.

I don't really think they necessarily axed the X90 to feed riders to the M15 +SBS+. They just axed it because they felt that it was going to be a reasonable alternative.

By the way, what is the capacity of an MCI vs. a suburban LFS, and what would the savings be for each MCI replaced with a suburban LFS?

I guess, though you would be pissing off riders of that particular express route. The thing is that the areas along that corridor are relatively easy to get to (and they would be even easier to get to if the MTA made a limited-stop S53 and S79). The issue is with going to places further east.

That's the one thing that lines like the X20 did... They served as overflow lines when the X1s and other lines in particular f*cked up. The last three stops are the biggest ones going towards the Verrazano and when the (MTA) made those cuts, folks didn't necessarily stop taking the express bus, they just shifted their travel patterns, so while they may think that they're saving by axing some lines they're going to have to provide service one way or another.

The X20 served as an overflow bus, but I still think that it could've been better used to serve the Park Hill/Stapleton Heights area.

Personally, I don't see how it could be that big of a deal if some buses were delayed, since the other routes run fairly frequently. Even if you have to stand on the bus, it's only a 20 minute ride, which is a lot shorter than the rides on the subway.

By the way, did the X16 act as an overflow bus at that stop, or it was mostly full by the time it got there?

Well service b/w SI-Brooklyn can be improved, on a local/limited route basis past Bay Ridge... that I'm not doubting, or disagreeing with.....

When you have residents from the other 4 boroughs all gunning to get to Manhattan in the morning, and away from it in the evening (lol).... it most certainly makes sense to have the whole borough of Manhattan (for all practical purposes), act as a hub for our exp. bus network..... What's been one of the major complaints about our express buses as it pertains to ridership? The low (none, in a lot of cases) amount of riders in the reverse peak direction.... The wasted deadhead mileage issue, and so on & so forth.....

I mean, with a SI-Queens or a Brooklyn-Bronx express route:

- What defines (meaning, in what direction, for AM & PM, would be deemed) the peak direction... In our current network, you know that AM peak dir. = inbound (into manhattan), and PM peak direction = outbound (leaving manhattan)....

- Where are riders from one of the boroughs ultimately trying to get to, within the other borough (and vice versa)...

If none of this is addressed, you'll just have a situation where you're running buses aimlessly from one borough to the other.... aimlessly in the sense that, just to say we have an interborough express bus that doesn't touch manhattan.... also in the sense that, it would pretty much run like a local bus (not making local stops obviously) in both directions, if a peak dir. can't be determined...

Problem with that is, can't run express routes like you would a local.... it's not like my (godforsaken) route, the B35, where you have a slew of ppl coming from both the east @ the west, disembarking in droves @ church av subway (:P(Q) in the morning.... and you know as well as I do that SI-ers would not be willing to "share" an express bus" with Queens residents, so there's that aspect of it also...

just some food for thought....

I can imagine the X15 or the X12 having a stop at 95 St or 86 St Stations for riders to connect with the (R) train.

Perhaps if the X18 or the X20 were rerouted to serve Downtown Brooklyn(versus discontinuation), there could be a stop at Fingerboard Road/Narrows Rd for riders for other express routes to transfer to the Downtown Brooklyn express line.

I've been thinking on that and wondering about the feasibility of a few fairly long LTD routes connecting the outer boroughs together without going through Manhattan. As far as eastern Brooklyn-SI, what about an SI Mall-JFK limited-stop service running via Linden Blvd and Ft. Hamilton Pkwy, called the B5? The full length of the route would be about 1:40 to 2:00 each way, but in the meantime it would link the mall, Seaview Hospital, Petrides School, and St. John Villa Academy with southern and eastern Brooklyn, including running two blocks from Kings County Hospital and right past Maimonides, serving Brookville Hospital and the rec center off Mother Gaston Blvd, and then running nonstop to JFK from Linden Blvd/79 St. It would replace the LTD service on the B35 and provide LTD service along the B15 east of 98 St and along the B16 on Caton Av and Ft. Hamilton Pkwy.

Similarly, what about a new B10 LTD from St. George to Kings Plaza, running on Bay St/Vanderbilt Av/Tompkins St/Hylan Blvd in SI and 86 St/Av X/Knapp St/Av U in Brooklyn? It would essentially provide LTD service for the B1 while in Brooklyn, while allowing people in SI easier access to southern and southeastern Brooklyn and providing a one-seat ride from Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst to Kings Plaza. I've mapped out the ideas below; the orange line is the B5 and the bright yellow line is the B10.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="650" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200421088698928261912.0004a5e1520b4fc98d36a&ie=UTF8&ll=40.64053,-73.994293&spn=0.182362,0.44632&z=11&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200421088698928261912.0004a5e1520b4fc98d36a&ie=UTF8&ll=40.64053,-73.994293&spn=0.182362,0.44632&z=11&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left"></a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

It would replace the LTD service on the B35 and provide LTD service along the B15 east of 98 St and along the B16 on Caton Av and Ft. Hamilton Pkwy.

Nothing needs to replace the B35 LTD; The B35 LTD shouldn't even exist..... You're sadly mistaken if you think people in this neighborhood will abandon the B35 for a Linden Blvd route.... Much less thinking putting buses on linden would make it some sort of substitute of "limited" service....

Linden isn't any better than Church, lemme tell ya.....

The problem with the Q44 is that it makes too many stops along Main Street. If they cut out some of those stops, it would be more attractive to riders.

What do you think about these stops being eliminated:

73rd Avenue

Reeves Avenue

Elder Avenue

17th Road

.....Of course, I'm not suggesting that a bus be run for a few passengers making his type of trip, but there is some demand.

The difference is that the route I proposed would be a limited-stop bus, so it would have some turnover, especially in Brooklyn. Either that, or the route can travel within Brooklyn, but have an easy connection to the S53/79/93.

1) I agree that the Q44 makes too many stops along main.... However, I don't ride the Q44 south of Flushing enough to make an opinion on which stops should be eliminated.....

2) I'm not sayin that literally no one in SI goes to Queens, Bronx, etc (hope I didn't give off that impression).... I'm sayin that, you're not gonna get ppl. willing to take public transportation like that on a day in day out basis b/w said points.... In other words, I can't see a ridership pattern being established for such an express route

3) your SI-KP route or w/e, you say, is a limited... which still falls in the category of a local route... Super LTD's (or w/e you wanna call em) I don't have a problem with, if ppl's plans don't come off foamerish as all hell... which I don't think a SI-KP route does...

Nothing needs to replace the B35 LTD; The B35 LTD shouldn't even exist..... You're sadly mistaken if you think people in this neighborhood will abandon the B35 for a Linden Blvd route.... Much less thinking putting buses on linden would make it some sort of substitute of "limited" service....

Linden isn't any better than Church, lemme tell ya.....

OK; what about running it LTD through all of Brooklyn, on Linden Blvd east of Fountain Av, on New Lots Av from Fountain to Remsen, on Church from Remsen to 36/37 Sts, and then on Ft Hamilton Pkwy from 36/37 Sts to 92 St and the Verrazano? The B5 LTD would make B35 LTD stops from Remsen Av to McDonald Av (except Ocean Pkwy) and the B35 would run local only (which according to you it should do anyway).

Full list of stops:

All stops inside JFK Airport, then:

Linden Bl / 79 St

Linden Bl / Eldert Ln

Linden Bl / Euclid Av

New Lots Av / Ashford St

New Lots Av / Van Siclen Av

New Lots Av / Pennsylvania Av

New Lots Av / Van Sinderen Av

Hegeman Av / Rockaway Av

All B35 LTD Stops except Ocean Pkwy

Church Av / 36 St