Today is the first anniversary of the devastating bus cuts

BrooklynBus

...Mr Azumah, what would you plan on doing if you succeed?

There are ways to do it whether I get the decision I want or not. However, I can assure you that bus service from the Upper East Side to Lower Manhattan will return. The only thing left to iron out is the format of the service. Last time, it was a charter service. I have been advised how to legally make it more user friendly.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only problem with the X90 is that it had too many buses. The travel time savings for the target market was substantial. The service was direct, focused, and the routing was very good. The people who want to change it don't understand why it was there.

Well you said so yourself that you didn't see how useful the X90 was until you actually used it. I still want you to elaborate on why the X90 was axed in your opinion. From a cost point of view it was still a successful express bus route even with the excess buses. The way I see it the (MTA) just wanted to prop up the M15 SBS line, which is NOT an X90 in any way shape or form, nor does it serve the same places that the X90 did.

Well you said so yourself that you didn't see how useful the X90 was until you actually used it. I still want you to elaborate on why the X90 was axed in your opinion. From a cost point of view it was still a successful express bus route even with the excess buses. The way I see it the (MTA) just wanted to prop up the M15 SBS line, which is NOT an X90 in any way shape or form, nor does it serve the same places that the X90 did.

In theory, the places the M15 and x90 serve is just one to two measly blocks apart from each other.

In theory, the places the M15 and x90 serve is just one to two measly blocks apart from each other.

Yes, in theory. However, I have a hard time seeing the M15 SBS getting Downtown as quickly as the X90, plus you still have to transfer to another bus anyway if you're going by the WFC. Many of the folks saying that the X90 was not needed have never used it nor are they really familiar with the actual commute itself and they just assume that because there are so many options that it isn't a big deal. The transfer alone increases the commute time.

I think folks assume that Manhattan folks have it easy because they're in Manhattan and have so many transportation options, but I have commuted plenty of times from the Upper East Side or Yorkville just Crosstown and it is not as "simple" as it seems. It can take 30 - 40 minutes alone just to get Crosstown, which is what some people's commutes are who live in the outer boroughs. In sum there is no such thing as a easy commute here in NYC.

There are ways to do it whether I get the decision I want or not. However, I can assure you that bus service from the Upper East Side to Lower Manhattan will return. The only thing left to iron out is the format of the service. Last time, it was a charter service. I have been advised how to legally make it more user friendly.

That's great to hear. Do you have an idea of when you'll be starting it up? And what exactly do you mean by the format and legally making it more user friendly?

I'm very familiar with the x90 because for two short months when I was younger I lived on 82nd and York. I wasn't an UES snob, I couldn't afford it then and I can't afford it now. It was a rent-controlled place that was open very, very briefly. I had to get down to City Hall every day for work, and did I take the x90? No, I walked to the 4 and took that. In New York, you walk and then you use public transport. It's preposterous to claim that a three or so block walk is enough to warrant an express bus service with special coach buses -- that's just a fallacy plain and simple. So as a folk saying the x90 wasn't needed, I can say that I do know that commute, and it really wasn't needed.

There are a lot of people that are not in the physical condition you were in. This is why Mario's is a problem for them. They want to avoid the climbing and crouching that go with vans and subways. In addition, I am told that boarding Mario's can be competitive. I can understand why public dollars would be spent better elsewhere, but there is absolutely a need for an express bus in that corridor. You cannot get a 45-50 minute travel time to/from the UES and Downtown any other way. This blows SBS out of the water.

Let me be very clear: all bus service in New York City does not have to be subsidized. It does not all have to be operated by the MTA. The basis for transportation should be demand to go from point A to point B at a particular price. There is demand for a premium fare bus service in this corridor and it absolutely will return. The fact that not everyone can or will use it does not negate its need. I do not use express buses a lot, but I understand their need. My main gripe is that the MTA operates express buses at bloated costs and I don't see that fact changing. Those bloated costs damage express bus economics more than local bus economics.

That's part of it.

The X90 was a sacred cow along with the X20 that needed kicking to get the point across that this MTA administration was serious about getting costs down. The M15 SBS was a convenient excuse. As much as I like to criticize the MTA for being incompetent, Jay Walder has probably launched the longest sustained assault on MTA costs in its history. He has also implemented many non-cash common sense changes. We may not agree with everything that is happening, but I get the sense that effort is being expended at the top levels to provide service.

The problem today is not with the MTA, but with other agencies getting in the way of organic alternatives for transportation. They want to protect their "territory", but they are going to destroy themselves in the process.

I'm very familiar with the x90 because for two short months when I was younger I lived on 82nd and York. I wasn't an UES snob, I couldn't afford it then and I can't afford it now. It was a rent-controlled place that was open very, very briefly. I had to get down to City Hall every day for work, and did I take the x90? No, I walked to the 4 and took that. In New York, you walk and then you use public transport. It's preposterous to claim that a three or so block walk is enough to warrant an express bus service with special coach buses -- that's just a fallacy plain and simple. So as a folk saying the x90 wasn't needed, I can say that I do know that commute, and it really wasn't needed.

You're just saying that because you can't afford it, so you had NO CHOICE but to walk to the (4) train. Hell I would say the express bus is not needed too if I had to take the bus to the ferry to the subway every day, but it is very easy for you to say that because the express bus isn't your primary means of transportation. When you become an everyday express bus rider, you see the benefits of having it and why it is a necessity.

This is really the gripe of most folks. I can't afford it and I am able to get around, so no one else needs it either. LOL It would be nice if folks thought outside of the box instead of just coming to conclusions based solely on their own needs.

I know I'll never change folks' minds because #1 they're pissed because they can't use it (that's really the real silver lining of it) & #2 they see express buses as something for more affluent folks so automatically it's attack us because we can afford to ride them. It's the same crappola folks pull with the rich. Tax them to death because we can't afford to live like them so let's tax them like crazy to "punish" them because they have more money than us. Nothing but pure jealousy. You'll never admit it, but that's what it really boils down to. I say live and let live and if the service is profitable then it should be run, as was the case with the X90.

You're just saying that because you can't afford it, so you had NO CHOICE but to walk to the (4) train. Hell I would say the express bus is not needed too if I had to take the bus to the ferry to the subway every day, but it is very easy for you to say that because the express bus isn't your primary means of transportation. When you become an everyday express bus rider, you see the benefits of having it and why it is a necessity.

This is really the gripe of most folks. I can't afford it and I am able to get around, so no one else needs it either. LOL It would be nice if folks thought outside of the box instead of just coming to conclusions based solely on their own needs.

I know I'll never change folks' minds because #1 they're pissed because they can't use it (that's really the real silver lining of it) & #2 they see express buses as something for more affluent folks so automatically it's attack us because we can afford to ride them. It's the same crappola folks pull with the rich. Tax them to death because we can't afford to live like them so let's tax them like crazy to "punish" them because they have more money than us. Nothing but pure jealousy. You'll never admit it, but that's what it really boils down to. I say live and let live and if the service is profitable then it should be run, as was the case with the X90.

Amazing post. It's exactly what I've been thinking the whole time but have had trouble finding the words to say. In addition, just because there are cheaper alternatives doesn't mean that service should be cut. There was a big demand for that bus, and for anyone traveling down to Wall Street, the premium fare was absolutely no issue at all.

Adding on to that, I am not a stuck up rich snob, I just want to get downtown THE FASTEST WAY POSSIBLE, and the X90 was faster and it sure as hell was much more convenient. It also allowed me to be productive on the way down because I could review my notes if I had to (can't do that now in the vans that easily), whereas on the subway I can't even move my arm if I have an itch on my face without bumping into at least 2 other people.

This deserves a second post.

You elitist asshøle.

That's the greatest bs I've heard in my life. We're "jealous" because we "can't afford" it? Screw you.

The express bus is a complete waste of public funds dedicated to making travel easier for a few normal people who would happily take standard buses, and a large majority of pompous, elitist jerks who think they're better than everybody and deserve a ritzy cushioned bus.

Your post really lets us see your true colors. What you're mistaken about is that I'm not poor. I'm a middle class individual who is savvy with his money, doesn't think his butt needs an extra cushion, and recognizes a waste of public money when he sees it.

"Nothing but pure jealousy." Screw yourself.

LOL... You said you couldn't afford it not me and according to you, you still can't afford it. Just because you choose to live frugal or whatever doesn't mean that everyone else has to. Those who earn more and have the means and want to use the express bus have every right to do so. It is certainly nothing but jeousy because that's all I hear everytime. Oh I can't afford them.... Oh they're elitists.... They don't need the X90 because they're elitists. Oh they have other alternatives. Let's focus on the route itself and understand why it was implemented to begin with. The (MTA) clearly understands that the X90 was NEEDED, hence why they had the service running. Let's for once talk about this line without adding the socioeconomics to it and then maybe I'll believe that it has nothing to w/jealousy. Until then I'm going to speak the truth, cut through the BS and get straight to the point.

You elitist asshøle.

That's the greatest bs I've heard in my life. We're "jealous" because we "can't afford" it? Screw you.

The express bus is a complete waste of public funds dedicated to making travel easier for a few normal people who would happily take standard buses, and a large majority of pompous, elitist jerks who think they're better than everybody and deserve a ritzy cushioned bus.

Your post really lets us see your true colors. What you're mistaken about is that I'm not poor. I'm a middle class individual who is savvy with his money, doesn't think his butt needs an extra cushion, and recognizes a waste of public money when he sees it.

It is not worth fight and to argue. Azumah will be azoomin with his bus for that service and I am sure Azumah will be azoomin with market rate for those people who want service and it is not waste because MTA do not operate X90anymore why fight after they cut bus

Sure they have a right, but express buses are a waste of money, and the jealous claim is garbage and PROVES you're an elitist. Lastly, and I quote

So believe me I'm not putting words in your mouth. And it's disgusting if you're gonna try to argue with me to convince me that I'm poor. I'm not. I'm a middle class man and I have no interest in you telling me what I can't afford.

LOL... Okay, so tell me what you were referring to with the quote below???

I wasn't an UES snob, I couldn't afford it then and I can't afford it now. It was a rent-controlled place that was open very, very briefly. I had to get down to City Hall every day for work, and did I take the x90? No, I walked to the 4 and took that.

I never said anything about you being poor. You said that. If what I said about jealousy wasn't true you wouldn't be getting your pants all in a knot. LOL :P Furthermore, what do I care what class you're in?? See that's where you and I differ. I live and let live.

I say what I say because I used to think the same way when I first started working professionally and was commuting from Staten Island. When I was 23, I was still sort of getting familiar with Manhattan even though I worked in the city and such. I wasn't familiar with certain parts of it. I would see the X16 and think it was some sort of "special unnecessary bus". It wasn't until I began using it that I saw how necessary it was. However I never held animosity at those who did use it.

And before some folks get off their rocker and say that I can't afford Express Buses and such, 80% of the time I use Express Buses to get home.

Yes, in theory. However, I have a hard time seeing the M15 SBS getting Downtown as quickly as the X90

Maybe because the x90 is not here? Don't hurt yourself trying to envision that. From 2nd Avenue, it'll have some issues here and there getting Downtown, but going uptown, I think the SBS beats the x90 because of the sheer fact that the FDR gets hit with hard traffic between 14th and 59th Street pretty hard during the rush hours 90% of the time. Downtown, the x90 pretty much flies through the FDR to Pearl Street.

You elitist asshøle.

Sure they have a right, but express buses are a waste of money, and the jealous claim is garbage and PROVES you're an elitist. Lastly, and I quote

So believe me I'm not putting words in your mouth. And it's disgusting if you're gonna try to argue with me to convince me that I'm poor. I'm not. I'm a middle class man and I have no interest in you telling me what I can't afford.

Excellent posts. :tup::tup:

I never said anything about you being poor. You said that. If what I said about jealousy wasn't true you wouldn't be getting your pants all in a knot. LOL :P Furthermore, what do I care what class you're in?? See that's where you and I differ. I live and let live.

That is a complete load of bullshit. He's not jealous of anyone who uses Express Buses and why would he? I agree with MHV9218 when he says that your recent posts are the greatest load of bs I've read in this very forum. Your attitude and demeanor towards his posts shows your true elitist background....That was a very snobbish and asshøle-ish way of responding back to him....

The (MTA) clearly understands that the X90 was NEEDED, hence why they had the service running.

If that is the case, why cut it? And if it was needed, why aren't people going head over heels for the line to come back like those in Bay Ridge and even in Astoria & Jackson Heights?! People fought for the x37 & x38 to come back and it did, now folks are fighting to restore service on the QM22. I dont see any news about people trying to restore regular (MTA) x90 service. I think that alone says something.....

Enough with the elitist bs.

Tell that to your buddy that brought out that attitude...

I'll still dispute the fact that it is a necessity, since in most non-SI cases, the express bus isn't needed: It is perfectly possible to get home in a reasonable amount of time without using an express bus.

As far as being jealous, I doubt that it is the reason. If a local route made back 25% of its operating expenses and had alternatives, I'd want it to be eliminated as well.

You elitist asshøle.

Yes, there are elitists on express buses: Probably more than on the local bus system overall (though I think some Manhattan local lines might have more elitists than most of the express lines, as they pass through areas like the UES). However, I wouldn't say that they are in the majority.

The thing is that different express bus customers have different needs. Some people (like myself) would be perfectly fine if some sort of limited-stop bus pulled up and went nonstop into Lower/Midtown Manhattan and charged us the regular local fare, since it is the fastest route. Others want the more comfortable ride (less noise and soft seats). Finally, there are those few that are elistist and think they are better than everybody.

But think about it this way: There are express buses coming from areas like the Poconos and lower-middle class parts of NJ and Pennsylvania. I'm sure 99% of those riders, being from a more humble background (many of them were priced out of NYC) aren't elitist.

I say what I say because I used to think the same way when I first started working professionally and was commuting from Staten Island. When I was 23, I was still sort of getting familiar with Manhattan even though I worked in the city and such. I wasn't familiar with certain parts of it. I would see the X16 and think it was some sort of "special unnecessary bus". It wasn't until I began using it that I saw how necessary it was. However I never held animosity at those who did use it.

I'll agree with that. For a better example, there are times when I've passed through areas where the people clearly had a lot of money (like parts of the South Shore and some areas where I visited Miami). I didn't feel any animosity towards the people: If anything I admired their property and was happy that they could afford nice things. Maybe if I were dirt poor, I'd feel differently, but as a middle-class person, I don't mind it when somebody can afford something better than my stuff.

That is a complete load of bullshit. He's not jealous of anyone who uses Express Buses and why would he?

You tell me why most of the arguments against express buses are socioeconomic based??? You yourself even said that those folks shouldn't keep the X90 simply because they're "elitists" and "snobs", so to say that it has nothing to do with socioeconomic issues is total BS. Why shouldn't folks have easier commutes if the service is utilized just because they pay a premium for it? There are other services like ferry service which the city provides which is probably much more expensive to subsidize, yet express bus riders are always seen as the scapegoats. You would think NYC was the only place with express bus service. Express bus service exists all over the place. I doubt that's just a coincidence either.

If that is the case, why cut it? And if it was needed, why aren't people going head over heels for the line to come back like those in Bay Ridge and even in Astoria & Jackson Heights?! People fought for the x37 & x38 to come back and it did, now folks are fighting to restore service on the QM22. I dont see any news about people trying to restore regular (MTA) x90 service. I think that alone says something.....

For starters we've got Jay Walder in office who is looking to slash service left and right and not just express bus service. It seems as if only the main corridors have good service and everything else in terms of bus service (be it local or express) is rather bleh.

Aside from that the (MTA) has convinced themselves that the M15 SBS is the latest greatest thing out there and that they've got the answer to solve commuting quickly on the East Side. It will be interesting to see what happens with the M15 if and when the SAS is completed.

People are creators of habit and you're not going to get folks to suddenly switch from one mode of transportation to another. Just not happening. All that happened with the axing of the X90 is more traffic was created, as you have all of those folks taking cabs and so forth. As for why much hasn't been heard about the rebirth of the X90, for starters, you've got other folks trying to replace the line so folks are using that since it is reasonably comparable in price.

Also, just because you don't hear news about anything happening doesn't mean that nothing isn't going on behind the scenes. The fight to keep the X16was done relatively quietly. I was one of the folks that signed the petition to keep the service. Sometimes it's an issue of how many folks make noise and how much power representatives have. Senator Golden has some pull and the areas that he represents especially an area like Bay Ridge has very vocal residents.

I did see a letter that a representative wrote to the (MTA) about keeping the X90, so it wasn't as if folks weren't complaining.

I'll still dispute the fact that it is a necessity, since in most non-SI cases, the express bus isn't needed: It is perfectly possible to get home in a reasonable amount of time without using an express bus.

As far as being jealous, I doubt that they are really jealous.

Oh please. What do you call "I can't afford it so no one should have it??" Certainly is jealousy.

Aside from that the transit system is already overburdened anyway so we should have as many ways to get around as possible. That's why the city created that new ferry service from Williamsburg because they understand that you can't cram everyone on the subway. The (MTA) is simply not preparing the system fast enough to deal with the growth. Of course you would deny that, but I see it with my own eyes. They are grossly behind in meeting demand overall in terms of the expected growth.

You tell me why most of the arguments against express buses are socioeconomic based??? You yourself even said that those folks shouldn't keep the X90 simply because they're "elitists" and "snobs", so to say that it has nothing to do with socioeconomic issues is total BS. Why shouldn't folks have easier commutes if the service is utilized just because they pay a premium for it? There are other services like ferry service which the city provides which is probably much more expensive to subsidize, yet express bus riders are always seen as the scapegoats. You would think NYC was the only place with express bus service. Express bus service exists all over the place. I doubt that's just a coincidence either.

For starters we've got Jay Walder in office who is looking to slash service left and right and not just express bus service. It seems as if only the main corridors have good service and everything else in terms of bus service (be it local or express) is rather bleh.

Aside from that the (MTA) has convinced themselves that the M15 SBS is the latest greatest thing out there and that they've got the answer to solve commuting quickly on the East Side. It will be interesting to see what happens with the M15 if and when the SAS is completed.

People are creators of habit and you're not going to get folks to suddenly switch from one mode of transportation to another. Just not happening. All that happened with the axing of the X90 is more traffic was created, as you have all of those folks taking cabs and so forth. As for why much hasn't been heard about the rebirth of the X90, for starters, you've got other folks trying to replace the line so folks are using that since it is reasonably comparable in price.

Also, just because you don't hear news about anything happening doesn't mean that nothing isn't going on behind the scenes. The fight to keep the X16was done relatively quietly. I was one of the folks that signed the petition to keep the service. Sometimes it's an issue of how many folks make noise and how much power representatives have. Senator Golden has some pull and the areas that he represents especially an area like Bay Ridge has very vocal residents.

I did see a letter that a representative wrote to the (MTA) about keeping the X90, so it wasn't as if folks weren't complaining.

You obviously read too far into the replies. Quit jumping the gun.

Yeah, I said that those people didnt deserve the x90. So what? Compared to every other Express Bus rider I've met and rode with on every line I've been on, the x90 folks were the definition of assholish-elitism. Why do I say that? Because they didn't appreciate a goddamned thing every time a bus pulled up into the stop. They didnt appreciate the buses, hell, they didnt even appreciate the drivers that DROVE on the line! And now that its gone, they want their line back? Too ******* bad, bro. There was a major difference in how the S.I riders and the Brooklyn riders appreciated both the buses and the drivers compared to the Yorkville folk.

They were the reason that line died in the first place as well, wanted too much service they couldn't keep up with!

Does the (MTA) have **** all to do with the ferry services? No! So what in the bluest of blue hell does that have to do with THIS discussion? The East River ferries dont even SERVE the UES!

One thing that seems to fly over everyone's heads is that the (MTA) is on their own when it comes to funding, our previous Governor Jackass Patterson eliminated all funding to the system, hence why we are in the shitstorm of service reductions & cuts we are in right now. If that didnt happen, we wouldnt have to go through this mess. Jay Walder pretty much had no choice but to change things around in the system.

Oh so you saw a letter from a representative wrote to the MTA about the x90? Big deal. I've seen articles and news reports about the S.I routes that got axed, the x37/38 AND the QM22 and guess what, these were all publicized! Them x90 folk obviously isn't doing a good job if they really wanted their route back.

Ok I'm going to use your logic. There's a so-called "alternative" 4 Avenue blocks away, which is roughly half a mile.

All of these lines should therefore be eliminated because of their "close" proximity to the subway:

- BxM4

- BxM6

- BxM7

- BxM7A

- BxM10

- BxM11

- X27

- X28

- X37

- X38

- BM3

- QM5

- QM12

- QM15

- QM16

- QM17

- QM24

- QM25

In fact, ESPECIALLY the X27 & X37 because ALL of their stops are, according to someone here, right next door to the subway. And those people in Brooklyn wanted their X37/X38 back so that they could cut down a few minutes by taking the FDR? Yeah, they're not requesting UNEEDED service... -.-

Archived