Today is the first anniversary of the devastating bus cuts

BrooklynBus

The B63 got all nice and fixed up with the BusTime system if you haven't noticed by now... They didn't put all those GPS units on those buses for nothing now...

true hence making it useful so ppl know when to use it so it can help.

One person told me b63 was voted the worst bus line in NYC

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree, I used to see how those B39s carry and most of the time, those buses were not empty. You always had a crowd boarding at Delancey/Allen, then another line of people boarding from Delancey/Essex. Coming to Manhattan is a different story because its a hit & miss.

That's what I meant (shouldve been clearer, but then again I was half sleep when I posted). In the peak direction, that's where you'll see the crowds...on occasion, the bus would be half crowded by the time it left the 1st stop on Allen/Delancey Sts. But reverse peak is a totally different story.

That's what I meant (shouldve been clearer, but then again I was half sleep when I posted). In the peak direction, that's where you'll see the crowds...on occasion, the bus would be half crowded by the time it left the 1st stop on Allen/Delancey Sts. But reverse peak is a totally different story.

OIC thats why I thought it was empty ok they can extend M8 like someone else suggested.

As far as the kids going to the Bronx High School of Science go, I don't think that private company going to the school runs school buses: I'm pretty sure they run coach buses.

And in any case, at $26.52 per person, it just wasn't worth running the bus when a competitor offered more departure options at a similar price: rather than $50 per week for the X32, it was $2,200 per year for the private company: (Which I think was Veolia)

Like I said, there is a private company that provides service to the Bronx High School of Science that serves the same areas as the X32.

Er, no. The company you're referring to isn't a transit operator but a school bus company called Vallo that runs a fleet of rather old and beat-up school buses. I only used them once, but most of my friends ride them on a regular basis; they're about the same price as the X32 was but the buses they ride are a downgrade from even standard transit buses. I would have preferred that they kept the X32 and done something similar with Astoria / East Elmhurst (if not an express bus then a couple of school trippers on the Bx50 to LGA that was supposed to have happened but never did).

Er, no. The company you're referring to isn't a transit operator but a school bus company called Vallo that runs a fleet of rather old and beat-up school buses. I only used them once, but most of my friends ride them on a regular basis; they're about the same price as the X32 was but the buses they ride are a downgrade from even standard transit buses. I would have preferred that they kept the X32 and done something similar with Astoria / East Elmhurst (if not an express bus then a couple of school trippers on the Bx50 to LGA that was supposed to have happened but never did).

that's what happens when you don't fill up the bus you supposedly wanted and keep outsiders away from a PUBLIC BUS. Seriously you get what ya give. But I agree with Bx50 trippers though.

that's what happens when you don't fill up the bus you supposedly wanted and keep outsiders away from a PUBLIC BUS. Seriously you get what ya give. But I agree with Bx50 trippers though.

I don't know about "keeping outsiders away" but given the routing it probably would have been a good idea to run the bus to Fordham Plaza with an additional stop at Southern Blvd/Fordham Rd to provide the "direct link" from Queens to Fordham Plaza people talked about when the money was good and then extend a couple of trips to/from BxSci in the morning when school got in and in the afternoon when school let out. In fact, maybe when we have funding to expand we should reincarnate the X32 in that form.

I don't know about "keeping outsiders away" but given the routing it probably would have been a good idea to run the bus to Fordham Plaza with an additional stop at Southern Blvd/Fordham Rd to provide the "direct link" from Queens to Fordham Plaza people talked about when the money was good and then extend a couple of trips to/from BxSci in the morning when school got in and in the afternoon when school let out. In fact, maybe when we have funding to expand we should reincarnate the X32 in that form.

yeah but I already suggested that earlier actually in this thread in detail. I suggested it become a LTD stop express rte serving passengers within the bronx and queens and express inbetween and having the X32 serve major transit hubs throughout the bronx and linking em with queens.

yeah but I already suggested that earlier actually in this thread in detail. I suggested it become a LTD stop express rte serving passengers within the bronx and queens and express inbetween and having the X32 serve major transit hubs throughout the bronx and linking em with queens.

That absolutely makes no sense whatsoever. Stop trying to make it into an NJT based express route.

don't tell me tell that to the guy who came up with that. I only said someone else said that calm down buddy I wouldn't dare mess with M8

Why are you telling me to calm down? I am calm. Stop being paranoid/scared.

That absolutely makes no sense whatsoever. Stop trying to make it into an NJT based express route.

Why are you telling me to calm down? I am calm. Stop being paranoid/scared.

err the rte is still short haul buddy NJT is long haul linkage due to their highways flowing better than NYC so what will work in NJ won't work in NYC. The x32 idea was not fully developed but the idea I had was NOT to have it on a highway for a long period but a short enough period to avoid getting chocked by traffic hence why I toned it down to end at fordham area during other hours and coordinate a few runs with the bx routes. A few runs would interline but just a few to test out the reliability. Plus one of the variants turns into a faster version of the bx10 just minus the twists and turns and at the moderate level cause other lines are present and duplicating Bx7 is unwise. And Bx9 can sometimes meet with metro-north trains allowing the new rte to take a toned down route that doesn't need to go all the way just a short trip away from bedford park on some trips. Other variant at fordham ends there. Other is a shortcut to bay plaza. Nothing more.

err the rte is still short haul buddy NJT is long haul linkage due to their highways flowing better than NYC so what will work in NJ won't work in NYC. The x32 idea was not fully developed but the idea I had was NOT to have it on a highway for a long period but a short enough period to avoid getting chocked by traffic hence why I toned it down to end at fordham area during other hours and coordinate a few runs with the bx routes. A few runs would interline but just a few to test out the reliability. Plus one of the variants turns into a faster version of the bx10 just minus the twists and turns and at the moderate level cause other lines are present and duplicating Bx7 is unwise. And Bx9 can sometimes meet with metro-north trains allowing the new rte to take a toned down route that doesn't need to go all the way just a short trip away from bedford park on some trips. Other variant at fordham ends there. Other is a shortcut to bay plaza. Nothing more.

If you could post a Google map of your idea I'd greatly appreciate it. I've also come up with an idea that might work but I need more time to work on it.

How about no...the M8 already has problems on its own route...

I guess he never heard of crosstown traffic then

But seriously, the (old) B39 route is about 15 blocks from the B8 terminal on 10 St/Avenue D...how in the blue hell would it get down there?

Better yet, don't answer that

I guess he never heard of crosstown traffic then

But seriously, the (old) B39 route is about 15 blocks from the B8 terminal on 10 St/Avenue D...how in the blue hell would it get down there?

Better yet, don't answer that

To add onto that, it would have one hell of a time turning onto St. Marks Place!

[/GMAPS]

what is it??

Er, QJ? The Google map isn't showing. Anyway, here's the idea I was talking about: Break the X32 up into three different lines, the X32/X33/X34, that all serve the same or similar routes in the Bronx and take different paths through southern and eastern Queens.

The X32 would operate almost completely on the routing outlined on page 4 of this link, running on the highlighted/grayed out part where applicable. The X33 would run on the route outlined on page 6 of the same link, then continue down Springfield Blvd to the Queens Village LIRR station. The X34 would essentially duplicate the Q44 from Jamaica to Flushing, then operate nonstop via Linden Pl and the Whitestone Expressway over the bridge into the Bronx.

Once in the Bronx, all three services would take the Cross Bronx Expressway to the Bronx River Parkway to the Pelham Parkway exit, then make the following stops:

Fordham Rd / Southern Blvd

Fordham Rd / Fordham Plaza

Kingsbridge Rd / Grand Concourse

Kingsbridge Rd / Jerome Av

Jerome Av / Bedford Park Blvd

Paul Av / 205 St

Dickinson Av / Sedgwick Av

Sedgwick Av / Hillman Av (northbound only)

Sedgwick Av / Van Cortlandt Park S (southbound only)

Van Cortlandt Park S / Bailey Av

Broadway / 242 St

I was considering including duplicate BxM3 service as far as Getty Square, but 242 St allows transfers enough to Bee-Line service (except maybe for peak direction during rush). Thoughts?

Er, QJ? The Google map isn't showing. Anyway, here's the idea I was talking about: Break the X32 up into three different lines, the X32/X33/X34, that all serve the same or similar routes in the Bronx and take different paths through southern and eastern Queens.

The X32 would operate almost completely on the routing outlined on page 4 of this link, running on the highlighted/grayed out part where applicable. The X33 would run on the route outlined on page 6 of the same link, then continue down Springfield Blvd to the Queens Village LIRR station. The X34 would essentially duplicate the Q44 from Jamaica to Flushing, then operate nonstop via Linden Pl and the Whitestone Expressway over the bridge into the Bronx.

Once in the Bronx, all three services would take the Cross Bronx Expressway to the Bronx River Parkway to the Pelham Parkway exit, then make the following stops:

Paul Av / 205 St

Broadway / 242 St

I was considering including duplicate BxM3 service as far as Getty Square, but 242 St allows transfers enough to Bee-Line service (except maybe for peak direction during rush). Thoughts?

I think a Flushing-Bronx Limited might be a better alternative to your X32-X34, plus a stop @ Bronx Zoo might help.

Paul Av / 205 St

Broadway / 242 St

I would have X33 originate at flushing then head to bay terrance before going express vis I295 to randall ave connections available to BX8 local stops on randall towards E tremont ave to brukner blvd towards co-op city the line will make LTD stops but unlike Q50 it would go to ekshire place after going to pelham subway it would be like a reverse routing of the Q50 then will go on to the bay plaza shopping center before going I95 express to new rochelle transit center service to new rochelle may be rush hour only since there is already BL60 and 45 doing this to a certain degree. It ties into my hudson valley plan however The lower part excluding dutchess.

The X32 however ok you win that I agree with it will replace Q17 LTD stop service slightly to an extent and will serve the same stops you proposed in the bronx. However after jamacia bus terminal next stop will be LIRR jamacia or jamacia plaza subway station.

But the X34 I won't have it duplicate Q44 cause that would hurt ridership as Q44 is very fast in the bronx and X34 won't be able to compete. Most bronx bound ppl don't board till flushing and beyond.

I would have X34 do the page 5 routing then pelham parkway subway station as first stop next stop bronx zoo entrance next stop fordham plaza via the Fordham rd underpass then local stops on kingsbridge rd till E194th street after that it will use the underpass again next stop kingsbridge road (4) subway station then local stops to marble hill metro-north. Connections available to express trains local ones and ones that link with the Amtrak for ppl who just plain don't want penn station lol. PPl will use X34 to reach destinations reachable on the hudson line. If and when airtrain extends to LGA via flushing then the true ability of the X32/33/34 will be unleashed cause lets face it it's tedious for LI ppl to even try to reach those buses as stated by others on this forums in other threads. For ppl who need other parts of bronx while boarding in queens can simply transfer at flushing.

Plus it would be easier for intercity buses to pull out of LI unless they decided to go to the hamptons then all hell would break loose on those lines cause they are sort of convenient in a sense.

I think a Flushing-Bronx Limited might be a better alternative to your X32-X34, plus a stop @ Bronx Zoo might help.

I agree since demand for a Bronx-Queens route, especially one that goes to Fordham (that would serve the Northwest Bronx and Upper Manhattan) is there.

I think this would work if they make a new Select Bus service route with parts of the Q50, Q44, and Bx30. Called the Q50, it would run from the Dyre Av (5) station to Jamaica Center. As a result, the Flushing-Bronx route could be called the Bx44 and make local stops between Flushing and Bronx HS of Science. This would allow the Bx22 to run to 225th St/Broadway in order to help out the Bx9.

I agree since demand for a Bronx-Queens route, especially one that goes to Fordham (that would serve the Northwest Bronx and Upper Manhattan) is there.

I think this would work if they make a new Select Bus service route with parts of the Q50, Q44, and Bx30. Called the Q50, it would run from the Dyre Av (5) station to Jamaica Center. As a result, the Flushing-Bronx route could be called the Bx44 and make local stops between Flushing and Bronx HS of Science. This would allow the Bx22 to run to 225th St/Broadway in order to help out the Bx9.

interesting but ur dyre ave bus should serve co-op city does it????

My idea for X33 is to have it go to dyre ave at off-peak hours. But new rochelle at rush hours.

Now we are talking you ppl now know what I am planning. But BX44 i would have it go local upto fordham plaza before putting it on the underpass direct to bronx zoo then express to flushing. The B-L 55 will extend to co-op city bay plaza shopping center at rush hours bidirectional. Heck I am surpiesed that the BL45 doesn't run more frequently it serves co-op city sort of.

interesting but ur dyre ave bus should serve co-op city does it????

My idea for X33 is to have it go to dyre ave at off-peak hours. But new rochelle at rush hours.

Now we are talking you ppl now know what I am planning. But BX44 i would have it go local upto fordham plaza before putting it on the underpass direct to bronx zoo then express to flushing. The B-L 55 will extend to co-op city bay plaza shopping center at rush hours bidirectional. Heck I am surpiesed that the BL45 doesn't run more frequently it serves co-op city sort of.

Yes my Q50 does serve Coop City, all sections except Bellamy. I wouldn't have the Bx44 run express after the Zoo since it serves bus-less areas in Parkchester and Castle Hill, specifically along the Cross Bronx Expwy service road. Don't underestimate the riders along that highway, there are quite few of them (especially at Taylor Av and Castle Hill Av). In addition, the Bx44 would run along 182nd Street, where there's a gap in crosstown bus service from 180th St to Fordham Road.

As for the Bee-Line, political pressure from Westchester would prevent the W55 from being sent past Dyre. I'm surprised that the W52 heads to Boston-Secor projects.

I've sort of abandoned the X32-34 idea because it doesn't seem like it would work the way I'd hoped it would. Instead, I'd like to propose open-door LTD services branded the Bx50, Q81, and Q94.

The Bx50 would run from the Norwood-205 St (D) station to LGA Airport via Webster Av in the Bronx and Astoria Blvd in Queens, making limited stops the entire way and replacing the Bx41 LTD. Buses would begin at the train station, run up Bainbridge Av to Gun Hill Rd, and run east on Gun Hill Rd to Williamsbridge before turning down Webster Av. They would follow Webster/Melrose Av as far as the Hub, then operate via 3rd and Lincoln Avs to 134 St before crossing the Triboro Bridge. Once in Queens, buses would follow the M60 routing to and through the airport. School trippers would begin/end at Bronx Science and run via Dickinson Av/Gun Hill Rd before meeting up with the regular route in front of Montefiore Hospital.

The Q81 would run from JFK Airport to Bay Plaza; Buses would start in front of JC Penney alongside the Bx12 SBS and then exit the mall onto Bartow Av, turn onto the New England Thruway, and serve Pelham Bay Park before heading south on Westchester Av as far as Westchester Square. At Westchester Square the buses would head south on East Tremont Av and E 177 St before crossing the Throgs Neck Bridge. In Queens, the buses would exit at 26 Av, head north on Corporal Kennedy St, stay east onto 23 Av, and then turn onto Bell Blvd. From there they would head south on Bell as far as Luke Pl and Springfield Blvd, serving Queensboro Community College. The buses would follow Springfield Blvd as far as Conduit Av before getting on the Belt Pkwy and going into the airport. Summer service would be provided to Orchard Beach via the Bx12 summer route.

The Q94 would act as a counterpart to the Q44, running via Main St and Parsons Blvd in Queens and the Cross-Bronx Expressway in the Bronx as far as West Farms. However, the Q94 would then run via the Bx9 routing to Fordham Center, where it would terminate on weekends and late at night. On weekdays from 6AM to 10PM, buses would continue via the Bx28 routing to Paul Av/205 St to Bronx Science, then via Goulden Av, Sedgwick Av, Van Cortlandt Park S, and Broadway to the 242 St subway station.

Here's a map showing my ideas; the blue line is the Bx50, the red line is the Q81, and the green line is the Q94. Partially transparent segments represent part-time or weekday-only service; stops are not shown for clarity.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200421088698928261912.0004a5e1520b4fc98d36a&ie=UTF8&ll=40.76415,-73.832148&spn=0.239913,0.192454&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200421088698928261912.0004a5e1520b4fc98d36a&ie=UTF8&ll=40.76415,-73.832148&spn=0.239913,0.192454&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Bx50</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

Archived