MCI loses NJT bid, guess who wins...

The Real

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you just cut the crap!

I don't like to look down on transit employees but :tdown::tdown::tdown:.

NJT should not be getting DesignLines. They're not necessary. Just order more MCI's, with fareboxes that can give change in fare-credit form.

It's true that NYCT doesn't need MCI's for most express routes. Just put full coach seats (not just padded transit seats) on a transit bus. There should be a fleet of MCI's though, as some routes (SI via NJ) need them.

NJT should not be getting DesignLines. They're not necessary. Just order more MCI's, with fareboxes that can give change in fare-credit form.

It's true that NYCT doesn't need MCI's for most express routes. Just put full coach seats (not just padded transit seats) on a transit bus. There should be a fleet of MCI's though, as some routes (SI via NJ) need them.

Your not hurting my feelings.....

I do wonder how much longer the MCI CNG's have left. I had 7016 today and it was jerking very violently when going above 40mph...

The buses seem physically in decent condition and I hate to see them go, but the engines seem shot.

You cant judge how a bus drives if you never drove one.

Those CNGs are total CRAP.

The concept of the bus has not been seen yet and you're gonna say that they are not necessary?! Damn, talk about jumping the gun!

These buses most likely wont be low floors, and considering the fact that the original CNG cruisers were 40ft to begin with (could be wrong), these might be just as good or better. I'm kinda banking on the fact that these might be 42.5 ft buses. This also brings me back to my question

If I'm not mistaken, didn't one of the CNG MCIs get an engine change from the Series 60G to the ISL-G? How did that work out and what was the outcome?

To add onto this, was the engine change only for the tour the bus went through? I know this bus that got the ISL-Gs saw daylight in California IIRC.

Rt. 9 to get natural gas buses

New compressed natural gas-powered commuter buses are coming to replace the turn-of-the-century buses now running on Route 9 in Middlesex, Monmouth and Ocean counties.

In this case, the 76 “Cruiser” buses replace 76 coaches built in 1999 to 2000 which have run up a lot of miles and will lose the certification on the compressed gas fuel tanks in 2013.

NJ Transit’s board approved a $45.56 million contract Wednesday with DesignLine USA of North Carolina for the 45-foot-long Cruiser buses which will seat 55, which is slightly more capacity than the 49 seats in the existing MCI CNG buses now running on the Route 9 corridor. Funding is coming from the state Transportation Trust Fund and the Federal Transit Administration.

The new buses also will look different than the tall boxy MCI buses. The DesignLine buses feature a rounded, more aerodynamic front end and have a low floor design which makes them lower to the ground and easier for passengers to board, according to renderings on the company’s website. The buses also will be equipped with wheelchair lifts. The New York City transit system has a fleet of DesignLine Hybrid buses it bought in 2008.

DesignLine was the lowest bidder on the contract, said James Weinstein, NJ Transit executive director.

The new buses will be based out of the Howell garage, which has compressed natural gas fueling facilities. They are scheduled to run on the 136 Lakewood-New York-Freehold express and the 139 Lakewood-New York routes. The new buses will have fuel tanks certified for a minimum 20-year life span from the date they are built.

The latest bus purchase will give NJ Transit’s fleet an average age of six years.

source: http://www.app.com/article/20110713/NJNEWS/307130114/Rt-9-to-get-natural-gas-buses

DesignLine USA lands N.J. Transit deal

New Jersey Transit has awarded Charlotte-based DesignLine USA a contract for 76 buses.

The contract, which includes spare parts, is valued at up to $45.6 million, according to N.J. Transit.

Delivery is slated for 2012. The buses will be powered by compressed natural gas.

DesignLine recently lost a high-profile contract with New York City Transit for 90 buses because of production delays and performance problems. New York’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority canceled a $61 million proposal in March after a field test showed the hybrid-electric engines didn’t provide enough power.

The company also lost a $12.5 million contract with Baltimore for 21 low-emission, diesel-hybrid vehicles.

Charlotte Area Transit System chose Gillig over DesignLine for six buses because of performance concerns.

On the brighter side, the company announced early this month it was sending a pair of prototype buses for a trial in Denver. DesignLine beat rivals Proterra Inc. and Cobus Industries for the contract, according to a report in sister paper Denver Business Journal. If the trial is successful, Denver Regional Transportation District has the option of acquiring 57 buses from DesignLine.

DesignLine was founded in 1985 in New Zealand. A group of Charlotte investors led by Chief Executive Brad Glosson bought the company and moved its headquarters here in 2006.

Its New Zealand operations are being liquidated under court supervision to satisfy creditors.

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2011/07/14/designline-usa-lands-nj-transit-deal.html

Rt. 9 to get natural gas buses

New compressed natural gas-powered commuter buses are coming to replace the turn-of-the-century buses now running on Route 9 in Middlesex, Monmouth and Ocean counties.

In this case, the 76 “Cruiser” buses replace 76 coaches built in 1999 to 2000 which have run up a lot of miles and will lose the certification on the compressed gas fuel tanks in 2013.

NJ Transit’s board approved a $45.56 million contract Wednesday with DesignLine USA of North Carolina for the 45-foot-long Cruiser buses which will seat 55, which is slightly more capacity than the 49 seats in the existing MCI CNG buses now running on the Route 9 corridor. Funding is coming from the state Transportation Trust Fund and the Federal Transit Administration.

The new buses also will look different than the tall boxy MCI buses. The DesignLine buses feature a rounded, more aerodynamic front end and have a low floor design which makes them lower to the ground and easier for passengers to board, according to renderings on the company’s website. The buses also will be equipped with wheelchair lifts. The New York City transit system has a fleet of DesignLine Hybrid buses it bought in 2008.

DesignLine was the lowest bidder on the contract, said James Weinstein, NJ Transit executive director.

The new buses will be based out of the Howell garage, which has compressed natural gas fueling facilities. They are scheduled to run on the 136 Lakewood-New York-Freehold express and the 139 Lakewood-New York routes. The new buses will have fuel tanks certified for a minimum 20-year life span from the date they are built.

The latest bus purchase will give NJ Transit’s fleet an average age of six years.

source: http://www.app.com/article/20110713/NJNEWS/307130114/Rt-9-to-get-natural-gas-buses

New Jersey Transit Approves Contract for 76 Buses to DesignLine USA

CHARLOTTE, N.C., July 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- DesignLine USA, has been awarded a contract by New Jersey Transit (NJT) to manufacture 76 CNG Cruiser Buses. The 76 Cruiser Buses are expected to be delivered during 2012. DesignLine continues to be a Leader in providing Electric, Extended Range Electric and CNG buses throughout the world. DesignLine buses are in daily operation on five continents.

About DesignLine

DesignLine manufactures the most environmentally friendly buses available in the worldwide market. DesignLine's bus footprint already extends from the United States to Europe to the Middle East to Japan to Australia. New U.S. customers, Arlington, VA and Denver, CO, are adding DesignLine environmentally-friendly products to their fleet daily with other cities in the US, Canada and the Middle East following suit later this year. Current demand for DesignLine products will require production of over 300 units next year.

http://www.designlinecorporation.com

Source --- http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-jersey-transit-approves-contract-for-76-busses-to-designline-usa-125555398.html

Archived