2011 NFL Free Agency, Preseason, Regular Season and Playoffs thread

JubaionBx12+SBS

Ok guys. Here are my picks for the 2011 NFL Conference Title Games.

Any of these '4' clubs left could win the super bowl and are evenly matched.

AFC

Ravens over the Pats. The Ravens have a much better chance to beat either the Giants or 49ers in a super bowl matchup. Plus the only reason Baltimore is not the #1 seed is having to play in one of the leagues toughest division i.e battling the Steelers 2x a year will of course, lower your win total. Again if the Ravens "D" can limit Brady time on the field and keep the Pats say under 21 points, they will win. Pats will win a high score game. Ray Lewis is near the end of his Hall of Fame carrer, wants badly to make 1 more super bowl and maybe win his 2nd title. Thus Lewis can then make claim, he is among the top 10 or even top 5 best defensive players in NFL History.

NFC

49ers over the Giants. The hardest game of the semifinal round to pick. I am picking the Niners only because they are 'home' at Candlestick and have the league's best defense during the '11 season. However the Giants can easily win this game if they shut down Alex Smith(wow when did he become a good QB lol :eek::)and the Niners offense.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However as an 'establishment in-the industry guy' Francesa tried to downplay and even tried to cut off the few callers who believe in the theory Trainmaster and B35 says on the so called 'cheating' refs though.

Instead Francesa suggested this idea on replay. That during the playoffs, similar to the NHL, in which 'upstairs' offical not on the ice makes all decisions on challenges/reviewing goal scoring plays? In other words, Francesa thinks the on-field refs should no longer be making decisions. i.e going to an on-field video montior to review and if needed reverse or maintain plays i.e TD's & turnovers only? That instead an offical 'upstairs' in the stadium suite or a tv truck on the stadium site and away from the field of play to make those decisons instead?

Francesa has this thing where he acts like he isn't oblivious to obvious shit.... that's what that (what you call) downplaying is all about..... I understand it gets annoying as hell having to deal with 20-30 callers wanting to talk about the same thing, but I mean come on..... I picked up on that tactic of his, back when him & mad dog were in their prime.... even mad dog would call mike out on that; i.e. the 'what do you expect the callers to call in today about, mike'... I recall him tellin mike that on several occasions.....

I can't watch, or even listen to fat boy no more.... As far as this recent proposal of his goes, I don't have a problem with it... Something needs to change w/ how bad the NFL refs have been this year; and I'm not just referring to the 2 giants/packers matchups either.... For the life of me, I don't understand how you can have a replay booth w/ multiple points of views (angles, different looks) of a particular play & still get a call wrong.....

I will not make any playoff picks as I see too much parity in the league this season but I have a few things I won't be shocked to see.

1. The Philadelphia Eagles missing the playoffs. Vick is not a hall of fame QB. Defenses weren't prepared for him last year and I expect things to change this season.

2. The Houston Texans making the playoffs. The AFC South is weakening as a division and it's this year or never for the Texans.

3. The winner of the NFC West having home field advantage in the playoffs. This division is so weak the winner will have to go 6-0 in division games to show the world they deserve a playoff spot plus the winner of the other NFC divisions will face tough schedules that allow for a few losses.

Man great picks on the regular season JW.:tup: The SF49ers winners of the NFC West had home field because of playing in a weak division.

MY Conference Title Picks

AFC- Ravens 28 Pats 21 All NE has to stay in this one are their TE's and Brady. The rest of this team is suspect and now they finally have high quality competition to expose that.

NFC- Giants 31 49ers 17 This one comes down to the QB's as both teams are evenly matched across the board. Eli Manning is a much better QB than Alex Smith and that's why the GMen get a 14 point edge in my book.

I'll bite...

AFC: Pats 28, Ravens 17... Ed Reed is right, Flacco gets flustered too easily... His comments were nothin more than an outcry (although Reed shouldn't have publicized it) that, we (as a team) need you to step up your QB play.... we (the defense) will not be able to bail you out against this patriots offense....

This is gonna boil down to how good Flacco performs.... quite frankly, I don't think he has it in him (unlike Alex Smith)....

NFC: 49ers 13, Giants 20.... The buck stops here - the offensive outbursts by both teams so far in these playoffs will not be displayed in this game (I won't go as far as to deem it as a fluke).... Anyway, I get the sense that this game is gonna come down to turnovers.... whoever wins the turnover battle, wins this one....

to me, this has a little less to do w/ Manning vs Smith.... and more to do w/ who's running game gets established & continues to flourish throughout the game.... I don't think either QB will reach 300 yds. passing in this one.....

Here the weather forecast for this weekend for the 2011 "Final 4" aka Conference Championship Sunday.

Giants vs 49ers at Candlestick (appx. 640pm ET kickoff)

Showers in the Bay area kickoff temp at around 50-55 degrees.

San Francisco Weekend Weather Forecast - weather.com

Ravens vs Pats at Foxboro (Gillete Stadium)3pm kickoff

Clear/Partly Cloudy and Cold kickoff temp around 32-35 degrees.

Foxboro Weekend Weather Forecast - weather.com

Why start the AFC title game @ 3PM? It would overlap into the Giants - 49ers game.

Trainfan to answer your question. Most playoff NFL games(not counting the super bowl) now last about 3 hours and 15 minutes. So in other words, If the Pats/Ravens are still playing at 630pm NY time but are at the end of their game, the NFL *usually* holds in recent years the start of the other game for about 10-15 minutes. However if the Pats/Ravens go to overtime, then the Giants/49ers start with a kickoff no later than 7pm et.

As a football fan, I actually look foward more to the Confrence Championship round than the Super Bowl (unless the Eagles are in it of course) because:

1. It is played 1 week after the previous round unlike the Super Bowl which has that stupid bye week after the Championship round. To me, the SB loses its luster that way.

2. Confrence championships have a home field advantage to a team while the SB is played on a neutral site. I'll rather watch a game where 95% the crowd is rooting for one team (see 2009 NFC Championship with the loud New Orleans crowd). Since the SB is played on a neutral site, all that is taken away. Also in some cases, weather plays a strong role in CCs. I look more forward to a game played in rain/snow/cold than under a roof especially if BOTH teams play in cold climates (like last years SB).

3. The CC is solely a game, but the SB is like a game with a concert. I don't care about who is performing the halftime show or about the commercials, I just want to see the game!

Thank You Sir(Patco). Sad to say, but Hollywood and Madison Ave has long ago taken over the not only super bowl(also other big sporting events from the world series, Olympics, the World Cup soccer tournment being the other examples)

In sense that why i like the NBA and Stanley Cup Finals. Although they also been taken over by corporate America, at least they don't have a 2-day pre game shows that the networks have on super bowl weekend.:P

On your point/question Patco on the reason the super bowl was permerantely moved to the first week of Feb. about 7-8 years ago was this. Febuary is a critical ratings month test for the networks although the super bowl counts as a 'special event.'

Also I am not into fact when co-workers, etc. who rest of the year don't follow sports try to bet(woops i mean wager lol)or become 'experts' in picking the game. Plus a world wide tv audience in the hundred of millions as well and a huge 'plug' for the host city with national/international media attention.

Not to mention it's become a semi-national holiday in the United States as well. So the chances of the super bowl featuring as the home team, one of the clubs is slim and none.

Overall I agree everything you said Patco.:)

As a football fan, I actually look foward more to the Confrence Championship round than the Super Bowl (unless the Eagles are in it of course) because:

1. It is played 1 week after the previous round unlike the Super Bowl which has that stupid bye week after the Championship round. To me, the SB loses its luster that way.

2. Confrence championships have a home field advantage to a team while the SB is played on a neutral site. I'll rather watch a game where 95% the crowd is rooting for one team (see 2009 NFC Championship with the loud New Orleans crowd). Since the SB is played on a neutral site, all that is taken away. Also in some cases, weather plays a strong role in CCs. I look more forward to a game played in rain/snow/cold than under a roof especially if BOTH teams play in cold climates (like last years SB).

3. The CC is solely a game, but the SB is like a game with a concert. I don't care about who is performing the halftime show or about the commercials, I just want to see the game!

I am happy for the Giants, but I'm not going to be "Oh they'll beats the 49ers". I did have a feeling they'd beat the Packers, but the 49ers seem like a wild card/unpredictable.

I was totally surprised the team has clicked so well since their 2nd loss to DC. The same team that lost to the crap redskins? Never expected this. Not being a pessimist, but just being realistic.

I am happy for the Giants, but I'm not going to be "Oh they'll beats the 49ers". I did have a feeling they'd beat the Packers, but the 49ers seem like a wild card/unpredictable.

I was totally surprised the team has clicked so well since their 2nd loss to DC. The same team that lost to the crap redskins? Never expected this. Not being a pessimist, but just being realistic.

packers were 8 point favorites.... 49ers are only 2 & a 1/2 point favorites...

Not that farfetched to predict the giants may win this....

As the saying goes...

"....On Any given sunday"

True, but like I said, I'm boarderline on this game. Plus last week Green bay did drop the ball literally. I don't see the 49ers being that sloppy. But hey sure as hell better than going to the helldome to play the saints, so I'm grateful for that.

Oh, I'm not predicting a blowout, or that the 49ers would play that poorly either.... You could watch 2 seasons worth of NFL games & not have what happened to GB last week, happen in any 1 of those games... That's how rare (how bad) their play was, especially on a professional level.....

I'm not banking my prediction on how the giants beat the packers (lot of these radio show hosts & sports analysts are; one of them clowns on ESPN outright said it....).... Also, someone else on ESPN predicted that the niners would win, based on how impressed he was by Alex Smith being able to stand up against Brees.....

But I do agree with your general notion that it's not that definitive that the giants will win, either.....

It was a close game, but for some reason I kinda feared the Ravens as super bowl 2001 comes to mind. *If the Giants makes it, I'd rather it be the Pats again as the Giants can beat them or at least go toe to toe with them.

Plus the Giants already beat them in regular season 'interleague' matchup early this season.

The Pats are IMO the weakest AFC team to make the super bowl since at least the 2002 Raiders(Jerry Rice last stop of great carrer)before losing to Bucks. If they playing the Niners they be underdogs with Vegas bookmakers as i just saw the bookers websites. However with Giants they be a slight favorite. Personally i think either the Niners ot BIG BlUE will beat them straight out.

The Pats are IMO the weakest AFC team to make the super bowl since at least the 2002 Raiders(Jerry Rice last stop of great carrer)before losing to Bucks. If they playing the Niners they be underdogs with Vegas bookmakers as i just saw the bookers websites. However with Giants they be a slight favorite. Personally i think either the Niners ot BIG BlUE will beat them straight out.

I'll just repeat what I just said in the shoutbox.

That's actually a good comparison; that Rich Gannon Raiders team & this years Pats... both weren't too great on the defensive end, and both were heavily reliant on the arms of their QB's to make it to the SB....

Archived