5 Years Later: Have you guys warmed up to the R160A and R160B?

R68 Subway Car

I have got to say that I really like these cars. I have been for my entire life a fan of the R68, R68A, and R62A, but I have totally have fallen in love with these new cars. They bring modernity to the New York City Subway and they have an beautiful design. I love the FIND display as well as the clocks they utilize to tell time. I think these cars can easily last 50 to 60 years without any issues. Do you guys agree or disagree? I ask that you please be civil in your discussion.

As a regular E train rider I must say I love the cars. I must say I was a bit disappointed the first time I rode one on the N about 4 years ago (when the E was all R32) but riding them a regular basis now I find them extremely smooth with great HVAC systems. I especially like the metal trim around the window sills and the walls at the the ends of the cars - a feature the first R160's and the R143's do not have. I find A cars really look classy with the door to the t/o's compartment. I think my fellow E riders would fall over if any other train popped up on the E. It is 2 years and 8 months that they first appeared on the E and about 2 years since the E has been exclusively R160. They are great. For the record my favorite cars are still the Bombardier R142's. I love when I have a chance to ride the #2 train.

It's a love/hate thing for me for the most part, I grew up riding R46s on the (F) and to see all of that get shafted by R160s, well, it is an upgrade. But on a personal note, I'd take a R46 over an R160 on the (F). Aside from that, they are fast and they work.

Meh, my only thing with these R160s is the A/C, It's like a fan blowing around compared to the R68s that at times have brick cold A/C.

That has been my gripe with them(and that there are too many of these cars), I think its the R160As that have weaker A/Cs compared to the 160Bs.

I don't know about all these claims about them lasting 50, 60, 75 years...they're built to last 40 years just like every other railcar. They seem to look like they'll last so long because they're new now, but that's not always gonna be the case. At the same time I don't understand people who can just look at the car and judge that they won't make it past 30 years, as if they can give the car a detailed structural analysis just by riding them.

I've always liked the cars. I enjoyed riding them when they were new and hard to come by, but that wears off once you start riding them every day. Their A/C gets the job done, but it's not ice-cold on summer days like the R142As are (those are the best cars in terms of A/C imo. I've almost never been on a hot R142A). Other than that, I find nothing wrong with the cars.

It's a love/hate thing for me for the most part, I grew up riding R46s on the (F) and to see all of that get shafted by R160s, well, it is an upgrade. But on a personal note, I'd take a R46 over an R160 on the (F). Aside from that, they are fast and they work.

That has been my gripe with them(and that there are too many of these cars), I think its the R160As that have weaker A/Cs compared to the 160Bs.

I don't know about all these claims about them lasting 50, 60, 75 years...they're built to last 40 years just like every other railcar. They seem to look like they'll last so long because they're new now, but that's not always gonna be the case. At the same time I don't understand people who can just look at the car and judge that they won't make it past 30 years, as if they can give the car a detailed structural analysis just by riding them.

I've always liked the cars. I enjoyed riding them when they were new and hard to come by, but that wears off once you start riding them every day. Their A/C gets the job done, but it's not ice-cold on summer days like the R142As are (those are the best cars in terms of A/C imo. I've almost never been on a hot R142A). Other than that, I find nothing wrong with the cars.

Kawasaki Rail Car = :cool: A/C ;)

And the R142's HVAC are as loud as HELL....

I like the comfort of those benches and I love leaning on those metal bars that separate the benches and the doors :cool:

I personally love the trains, they ride very smooth compared to the older trains, their A/C is alright and can get really cold at times, you'll usually find me sitting on the ends of the cars. Otherwise, while not PURE stainless steel, their carbon steel bodies are lightweight and makes moving around easier.

The R160's are great! They have nice look! I like ther HVAC. Only disadvantage is that car doesn't use REAL stainless steal. They're already getting rust! ;)

The R160 cars use real stainless steel,i think it's the B end of the cars that arn't stainless steel.they are made out of fiberglass and that's where you see the brown stain.

Archived