5 Years Later: Have you guys warmed up to the R160A and R160B?

R68 Subway Car

As far as I'm concerned, the R160's may well turn out to be the worst cars ever purchased by the TA. I hate their screechy brakes and uncomfortable bench seats. I would be shocked if they lasted 30 years, let alone 40 or 50. Pure garbage. Gerald

I'm curious as to what your favorite subway car is.

_______

There may be minor flaws such as malfunctioning screens, but I find the 160s to be a much more smoother ride compared to the other 60 footers. On well maintained 160s, they don't feature that powerful jerk once the trains leaves the station leaving a much smoother ride. Those blue lights they added makes the train look very modern.

I can't see these cars lasting 100 years, but definitely around a few decades.

Personally I like em (For some reason the Alstom version in particular) They are fast and utilized the shape of the R44-R68A's.My only quip about them is that they replace some damn good rail equipment.The Legendary R32 (Most of them) The fast R38s,The innovative R40 slants,R40Ms and most R42's.The NTT's make the subway system look more Uniformed and somewhat takes away some railfanning excitement.Technologically they are great!!!:)

I am neutral with the R160. I am not obsessed with it, nor do I hate it. The thing I find impressive was the workmanship to build the R160. Almost the entire train car was built by hand, or machines that required hands. I would like to see some of us railfans try to build an entire train car by hand. I can't do it can you?

I am neutral with the R160. I am not obsessed with it, nor do I hate it. The thing I find impressive was the workmanship to build the R160. Almost the entire train car was built by hand, or machines that required hands. I would like to see some of us railfans try to build an entire train car by hand. I can't do it can you?

I can't even start..lol:)

Only The R160A was built like that at the Alstom facility in San Paolo Brazil facility. on the episode of How its made, they showed the R160A being hand made in Brazil then the second part of the episode was at the Hornell NY facility where the final components and completion was installed.Im sure Kawasaki used many gadgets and cool machines to make their version( R160B).

I hate the automated announcements, the annoying Alstom propulsion (Siemens is awesome, however) and how bland they are compared to the SMEE stock. I went out to 5th/53rd one day on the (E) from Union Turnpike and found standing from there to the 63rd Street Tunnel more comfortable than sitting on those bench seats from the end of the tunnel to 5th Avenue.

The only parts of the R160s I like are the Bombardier door motors which are similar to the ones on the LIRR M7s.

That A/C is more like being coughed on by a small animal. I was on the (J) that one day in March that it broke 75 degrees and it never got ice cold.

I hate the automated announcements, the annoying Alstom propulsion (Siemens is awesome, however) and how bland they are compared to the SMEE stock. I went out to 5th/53rd one day on the (E) from Union Turnpike and found standing from there to the 63rd Street Tunnel more comfortable than sitting on those bench seats from the end of the tunnel to 5th Avenue.

You just love squishing into that odd transverse seat that knocks into the longitudinal one, then having to ask someone to move so you can get out, all while trying to get comfortable in that weird bucket seat, don't you?

I'm sure you all should know how much I absolutely can't stand the R160's by now so I'll save you guys that...

Ever wondered about this though- 10 years later when the plastic front ends of the R160's start falling off, the TOD's start getting blue screens of death and it's time to retire them prematurely, how are we going to get over 1,000 new subway cars again?

Biggest mistake MTA ever made. Not because the fact they are so inferior, but the ridiculous quantity the MTA ordered them in.

Just my 2 cents..now time to run before I get attacked with foam lolol

You just love squishing into that odd transverse seat that knocks into the longitudinal one, then having to ask someone to move so you can get out, all while trying to get comfortable in that weird bucket seat, don't you?

No, because I sit on the outer seat and ask if people want to sit in the seat next to me, then get up and sit back down if said person takes it. Same goes when I ride a bus.

Otherwise, I'm standing. That one time I took the (R), that R46 was starting to get crowded so I stood up. And when I took the (3) from Atlantic Terminal to 34th, I had a seat the entire way.

I'm sure you all should know how much I absolutely can't stand the R160's by now so I'll save you guys that...

Ever wondered about this though- 10 years later when the plastic front ends of the R160's start falling off, the TOD's start getting blue screens of death and it's time to retire them prematurely, how are we going to get over 1,000 new subway cars again?

Biggest mistake MTA ever made. Not because the fact they are so inferior, but the ridiculous quantity the MTA ordered them in.

I highly doubt they're plastic (they aren't), and I even more highly doubt the system runs on Windows.

Guest lance25

1) If the R160s had to be retired within ten years of service, I'm sure Kawasaki and Alstom would be facing serious problems not only from the (MTA), but also the federal government since they pay part of the cost for these trains.

2) Concerning the computers, do you really think they're gonna keep the same computers and operating systems on the trains for their entire lifespan? That's ridiculous. For starters, computing software has a nominal lifespan of only a few years before it becomes outdated. That's why the FINDs are already outdated. Second, as hardware becomes smaller and more efficient, the (MTA) will have no choice but to eventually replace the aging parts of the trains. That's just a fact of life. It doesn't mean the trains are inherently flawed, however.

3) Would you have rather the (MTA) purchase several orders of cars at gradually increasing costs or one large order at the same price? Either way, the plan was to retire all car classes from the R32s to the R42s, so they needed all those cars. Regardless of what actually came to be, they still needed all 1700 cars.

I highly doubt they're plastic (they aren't), and I even more highly doubt the system runs on Windows.

It runs windows, and so do the MVM's. if you have ever watched them repair the screens of MVM's and re-boot them, you will see the windows icon appear. I think they run some ridiculously old version of WIndows, like 98 or something, but I forget which exact version.

It runs windows, and so do the MVM's. if you have ever watched them repair the screens of MVM's and re-boot them, you will see the windows icon appear. I think they run some ridiculously old version of WIndows, like 98 or something, but I forget which exact version.
I heard it runs on something like Windows NT

As new cars go, I like the R160’s well enough. They are generally comfortable to ride in and are reliable. I don’t get the hate about the bench seats – they are no different than the classic subway bench seats of yesteryear and much better than bucket seats in my opinion. Brakes are a bit screechy, but the propulsion noises don’t bother me (I don’t really notice them after a while).

the MTA uses Windows NT 4.0 on the metrocard machines. not 100% sure what they use on the trains but it's probably similar.

replacing hardware and upgrading software on the trains will only add to maintenance costs. the MTA should have used a custom modified version of linux imo.

the R160 warranties don't last forever; as far as I understand once the warranties run out then kawasaki/alstom won't be responsible for the costs of repair and whatnot.

the trains won't cost so much $$$ if the MTA doesn't order them with such extravagant features. they don't need to run Windows on the trains, they don't need those steel interior end walls and window trims, don't need 3 passenger intercoms for each car, don't need CBTC, don't need cab radios, the list goes on and on.

and like i said what happens when it's time to retire the R160 fleet...where is the MTA going to get the $$$ to buy so many cars to replace them all at once? unless if they get smart and phase them out slowly, they'll be stuck in the cycle of buying thousands of cars at once.

Im not too Crazy about the R160's but they are Fast. New, Reliable, New, Automated, New, bright, and NEW. i cant stress "New" enough. I dont think the Average rider cares what Computer system is used or could care less whether its carbon steel or stainless steel or if the interiors look like hospitals. (MTA) have these cars to accomadate the Average subway rider, NOT railfans or railbuffs.

Archived