Lifesaver: Veteran subway clerk cuts power as train nears death-wisher

mark1447

A quick-thinking token booth clerk saved a suicidal man's life early Friday when he cut the power in a tunnel as a man walked toward an oncoming train.

Veteran clerk Marty Goodman sprung into action at the 86th St. station at Central Park around 5:40 a.m. when he heard a man yelling after he jumped off a subway platform.

When the man ignored his pleas over a station loudspeaker, Goodman dialed for emergency help, then bolted from his booth to try to persuade the bloodied man to come back onto the platform.

"He said, 'Leave me alone. Don't come near me,'" Goodman said.

Goodman, 62, said he then heard an announcement that an uptown train was but one station away. "I said, 'Oh, my God. I have to cut the power,'" he said.

Goodman said he raced to cut the power after finding a shutoff in the tunnel - while the emotionally disturbed man walked in another direction.

"It looks like Mr. Goodman did everything he was supposed to do in terms of activating the alarm," said Kevin Ortiz, an MTA spokesman.

Cops and FDNY workers rushed into the station to fetch the man, whose identity was not released. An FDNY spokesman said he was taken to St. Luke's Hospital.

"Hallelujah, the guy was okay," Goodman said. "I felt very good."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/08/20/2011-08-20_subway_clerk_lifesaver_cuts_juice_as_train_nears_jumper.html#ixzz1Vb6Tmo8V

No, the public wouldn't know because a few wannabes would just shut down power for the hell of it and then think that they're "gangsta"

LOL, we have 4 levers per platform and nobody pulls it for the hell of it. But I could probably imagine your city is 7x bigger theirs prob 7x more likely to pull it.

Do S/A's take the track safety class that T/O's, Trackworkers, C/R's, etc take? I thought S/A's are really not supposed to leave the booth, even in an emergency, in case it is a ruse to get them into the open, or something along those lines?

All MTA employees take Track Safety...even management.....

AND I THOUGHT THERE IS SPOSE TO BE A POWER CUT OFF IN ALL THE BOOTHS ??

Archived