What Long Island Bus service may look like next year

PinePower

I wouldn't say the N15 gets heavy use along that portion... it's heaviest points are b/w RFM & Hempstead (including, along Fulton av)... and b/w RVC & its terminal down in Long Beach.....

....and a route goin from RFM to Hempstead via NCC could definitely survive on its own

true however the N15 alone is a sardine can. I think N16 should be rerouted south of RVC to travel to green acres mall via sunrise hwy. This should increase ridership south of hempstead and even force weekend service to improve due to demand. Most of the new changes in my LIB proposal are to strengthen rtes so they can be adjusted to meet true demand and full potential allowing veolia to operate on a low budget since most of the reroutes would turn the lines into sardine cans or garner enough ridership to eliminate possibility of cuts.

The following lines need reroutes to reach full potential N16,N46,N50. These ones need extension to reach full power they are N74/73,N25,N2/1,N8.

With elimination of short turns N80/81 can be put to better use at rush hr merging with some via LIE so it gains 2 functions one express to areas not accessible via LIRR and shuttle to LIRR for everything else. The N80/81 however is a huge gamble. The rest are more predictable.

These lines are hopeless N14,N47 and maybe N57 according to some ppl the way they say it. short turns on N16 can be put to better use and form an express rte based on penninsula blvd. I got carried away with seaford oyster bay expressway that can be near term should SCT and LIB decide to work together and H lines become SCT and LIB lines(one of em).

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@qjtransitmaster

All your changes are not realistic and are most likely not gonna happen. Almost everything you suggested is like creating a whole new system, which Veolia is not gonna do. The least changes to save more money is what is needed and is what they want.

last weekend I was in Virginia Beach, a very nice city if you ever get the chance to visit. It is considered the 'suburbs' from Norfolk as well as a vacationing area.

They have a set of buses that's much less extensive than Nassau (VA Beach is the eastern half of the map east of I-264) Portsmouth and Chesapeake are also equivalent as suburbs to Norfolk (the biggest city) and the buses aren't as extensive as Nassau county's

http://www.gohrt.com/maps/sys-maps/southside-map.pdf

but yet people get around, they get to where they need to be. The point I'm trying to make is, this isn't the end of the world for Nassau county. Many parts of the country do a lot more with less.

in other news, careful if photographing their buses or light rail down there, look at this: http://www.gohrt.com/contact/safety-security/

@qjtransitmaster

All your changes are not realistic and are most likely not gonna happen. Almost everything you suggested is like creating a whole new system, which Veolia is not gonna do. The least changes to save more money is what is needed and is what they want.

THAT'S THE PROBLEM the system is SO shitty IT NEEDS A WHOLE NEW SYSTEM so ridership isn't as dismal with those changes ridership should increase to maybe 400,000 or if lucky even more. Cause ridership generators are added to the system making previously irrelevant routes relevant. Thus decreasing costs further than increasing them.

The new system will be WAY MORE cost efficient. N46 and N8,N50 gain real purpose. N50 becomes a helper for not just N49 but N15 as well. N74/73 become relevant. N80/81 go from trash to commuter route. N16 becomes more useful and helpful to LIRR folk west of rockville centre eliminating those long transfer waits. And addressing a gap in green acres. Also more interlinig busy routes. The lines would be a perfect gamble the only rte that is a hard gamble however is the N58 and N34(new) those require money. N58 is more realistic. Enough of this excuses that is why NO ONE USES LIB BUT 10%.

last weekend I was in Virginia Beach, a very nice city if you ever get the chance to visit. It is considered the 'suburbs' from Norfolk as well as a vacationing area.

They have a set of buses that's much less extensive than Nassau (VA Beach is the eastern half of the map east of I-264) Portsmouth and Chesapeake are also equivalent as suburbs to Norfolk (the biggest city) and the buses aren't as extensive as Nassau county's

but yet people get around, they get to where they need to be. The point I'm trying to make is, this isn't the end of the world for Nassau county. Many parts of the country do a lot more with less.

in other news, careful if photographing their buses or light rail down there, look at this: http://www.gohrt.com/contact/safety-security/

sweety their layout has nothing to do with LI

nowhere else has the same geographical shape as long island :) thats not the point, I am comparing Nassau's bus system to other cities that I have been in, and its not the apocalypse that people on here like to describe if Nassau's bus system is cut.

lol @ "sweety".....

and its not the apocalypse that people on here like to describe if Nassau's bus system is cut.

dude, only person really makin that out to be apocalyptic on here, is pinepower.....

In it's current form IT'S ASKING FOR CUTS

Maybe, maybe not....

But I tell you one thing, Veolia won't start cutting service b/c the bus network isn't optimal....

lol @ "sweety".....

yea that did give me a good chuckle as well :)

dude, only person really makin that out to be apocalyptic on here, is pinepower.....

I better start digging a bunker in my backyard and buying out Wall Mart's supply of poland spring water for when the giant meteors start falling down on Nassau county and the aliens land on the roof of Roosevelt Field, once the routes get cut.

lol @ "sweety".....

Maybe, maybe not....

But I tell you one thing, Veolia won't start cutting service b/c the bus network isn't optimal....

true but some lines if nothing happens ridership alone will NOT stop it from elimination. All but a few of my ideas are cost neutral except the N50,74/73,New express routes 2 of em and phase 2 of N46 restructuring. Phase 1 reroutes it to roosevelt field via NCC and eisenhower park. That is cost neutral. cause it's the same distance due to ridership increase cost to operate is dropped. N47 is gone. N74/73 and N8 extensions to long beach and mineola LIRR will breath life into these lifeless lines. But cost may remain the same or drop due to interlining and ridership spikes. N50 is purly a gamble and is a shot at a crosstown bus for centennial high risk BUT high reward too if It works then we can have a winner on our hands. N14 eliminated to off set N50 extension. as part of it is merged into the new line. N80/81 and N2 NOTHING TO LOSE N2 becomes express rte to flushing via LIE and college point blvd using HOV. The driver may detour based on traffic. N80/81 get rush hr enhancements BUT turn into express rtes absorbing parts of N20 short turns. (Literally extended short turns but bypassing colleges).

N35 to LIU needs college funding but can make the rte more cost efficient.

N45 no change except rush hr to better meet trains

@qjtransitmaster

wrong although they create a new system they are very much realistic and very easy to do most are no more than simple reroutes that don't cost extra money like N46 change, N25 and N16 change. N35 change would increase ridership with little to no cost whatsoever since the change eliminates a few DHs. Going to the colleges via post rd is very much an easy to implement change. The N46 one increases ridership without increasing cost thus cutting cost to run it. The new rtes however are less likely but can be done later on. The N8 doesn't have a choice in the matter. Neither does the N74/73 and N80/81. Even if the N20 short turns have to be sacrificed to do it. N50 offset by sacrificing N14. and unproductive segment to bellmore

wrong although they create a new system they are very much realistic and very easy to do most are no more than simple reroutes that don't cost extra money like N46 change, N25 and N16 change. N35 change would increase ridership with little to no cost whatsoever since the change eliminates a few DHs. Going to the colleges via post rd is very much an easy to implement change. The N46 one increases ridership without increasing cost thus cutting cost to run it. The new rtes however are less likely but can be done later on. The N8 doesn't have a choice in the matter. Neither does the N74/73 and N80/81. Even if the N20 short turns have to be sacrificed to do it. N50 offset by sacrificing N14. and unproductive segment to bellmore

Post Road in Old Westbury is not an easy change, try actually driving down there, its quite curvy and narrow.

4s000002.jpg

part of Post Road in Old Westbury, how you gunna get a long bus down that without it tying up traffic? Plus the village of Old Westbury will not put up with it.

the N8 extension makes no sense, theres already a route serving long beach plus an LIRR line that basically runs near it.

the n73/74 extension is unnecessary, there's already the 78/79 down old country road and if anything you'll have people on the 73/74 using it west of Newbridge Road where it overlaps the 78/79.

your N50 plan is another badly thought out mess. Centennial Ave is a residential street that doesn't even go that far, it ends and doesn't even cross the Meadowbrook.

And while we're at it, let's extend the N36 to San Leandro in California and the N14 to travel to Virginia Beach via a specialized ferry. And the N25 cross the LI Sound to Danbury's Metro-North station, only it will take a Cross Sound ferry as well.

And the (MTA) will get DOT certification so that these extensions will be hassle free. Seriously, stop.

Post Road in Old Westbury is not an easy change, try actually driving down there, its quite curvy and narrow.

4s000002.jpg

part of Post Road in Old Westbury, how you gunna get a long bus down that without it tying up traffic? Plus the village of Old Westbury will not put up with it.

the N8 extension makes no sense, theres already a route serving long beach plus an LIRR line that basically runs near it.

the n73/74 extension is unnecessary, there's already the 78/79 down old country road and if anything you'll have people on the 73/74 using it west of Newbridge Road where it overlaps the 78/79.

your N50 plan is another badly thought out mess. Centennial Ave is a residential street that doesn't even go that far, it ends and doesn't even cross the Meadowbrook.

The N74/73 extension is to long beach via jones and lido beach. The N50 uses meadowbrook rd to reach it en rte to rockville centre or long beach.

The N8 extension caters to intra island ppl from huntington and ronkonkoma areas heading towards stewart manor or hempstead tpk west of hempstead and to areas where N8 is. This has nothing to do with manhattan bound ppl or LIRR (except intra island indirectly)

N35 extension the N35 WILL NOT STOP untill it reaches NYIT meaning it's nonstop.

How does my N74/73 idea HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH N79/78?????:confused: N74/73 get extended southward not northward read my post hun cause you were not paying attention.

But at least you make this debate interesting but you shot urself with that.

N8 extension makes adelphi accessable from hempstead tpk and areas where N6 runs. N8 would gain a ridership increase mineola is NOT the only generator for the N8. One LIB guy said send N8 to hempstead BUT N6 is so frequent duplicating N6 is a guaranteed fail so I modded the idea to use something else. sorry for not being specific.

WRONG My N8 extension is NOT TO LONG BEACH. again where is this comming from if your gonna create an opposition use valid reasons that are related don't make up ideas I never presented.

It's very clear you didn't read my post:cool:

And while we're at it, let's extend the N36 to San Leandro in California and the N14 to travel to Virginia Beach via a specialized ferry. And the N25 will do the same, only it will take that cross-LI Sound (forget the nname) ferry as well.

And the (MTA) will get DOT certification so that these extensions will be hassle free. Seriously, stop.

F U C K OFF This has nothing to do with the topic and my ideas are very minor. Some are short term others long term If you have nothing nice or debatable to say STFU CUNT

If there was articulated bus on N88, it properly have to go all the way by Oak Island, where there is wider enough to turn around.

I remember when I took N58 full trip and on regular LIB Fleet, not NG one.

From Google Map, I saw N58 might use home driveway to turn around, howeer it turn out, it makes tight U-turn on this narrow street on Kings Point Ferry Rd and it took about 3-5 minutes to turn around,because driver has to back up his bus to make U-turn.

Oh, wow! I was just down there two weeks ago. To check out the Tide, plus NSU (where I went in the 80's), plus the rest of the changes in the city. I was thinking of posting a report on the tide. I guess this could serve as it!

Like a part of it is elevated, with wooden track panels just like a classic el! And the announcement chimes, which sound almost exactly like the R46-68 door chimes!

Pretty cool, especially from how drab and depressing the area was 25 years ago.

Actually, it always did remind me a lot of LI. If you think of Norfolk as Brooklyn and Queens, then Virginia Beach does resemble Nassau. Just smaller, and instead of another county to the east, the oceanfront is right there, and instead of a south shore (but there is a north shore, which is similar). VA Bch even built a new inland "hub" in the Pembroke area, called "Towne Pointe (another thing I went to see, after finding out about it online).

The buses back in the day were similar also, with the 8V71 powered Flxible new looks and Grummans. What LI lacked was the 35 ft RTS's. The routes were similar too, with the big east-west corridors, and north-south feeder routes.

The Tide (replacing a freight track that ran to the beach) would be like the Montauk Branch along Sunrise Hwy, though it of course yet needs to be extended into Virginia Beach.

The Delmarva peninsula reminds me more of Suffolk Co.

The N74/73 extension is to long beach via jones and lido beach. The N50 uses meadowbrook rd to reach it en rte to rockville centre or long beach.

The N8 extension caters to intra island ppl from huntington and ronkonkoma areas heading towards stewart manor or hempstead tpk west of hempstead and to areas where N8 is. This has nothing to do with manhattan bound ppl or LIRR (except intra island indirectly)

N35 extension the N35 WILL NOT STOP untill it reaches NYIT meaning it's nonstop.

How does my N74/73 idea HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH N79/78?????:confused: N74/73 get extended southward not northward read my post hun cause you were not paying attention.

But at least you make this debate interesting but you shot urself with that.

N8 extension makes adelphi accessable from hempstead tpk and areas where N6 runs. N8 would gain a ridership increase mineola is NOT the only generator for the N8. One LIB guy said send N8 to hempstead BUT N6 is so frequent duplicating N6 is a guaranteed fail so I modded the idea to use something else. sorry for not being specific.

WRONG My N8 extension is NOT TO LONG BEACH. again where is this comming from if your gonna create an opposition use valid reasons that are related don't make up ideas I never presented.

It's very clear you didn't read my post:cool:

What part of too narrow for buses don't you understand with your N35 extension. I even showed you a photo of a particular section of Post Road that would make it very difficult to get a bus down there without impacting traffic.

well I had it mixed up, either way, Loop Parkway doesn't allow trucks, that includes buses. That's why the N69 goes where it goes. Have you even examined the traffic on Loop Parkway, its only busy on two instances, if the drawbridge is up, and during beach season. A Long Beach to Hicksville routing like that is out of the way and impractical. A more direct route involves the Southern State Parkway however trucks CANNOT use the parkway and that includes buses. Theres really nothing in Hicksville that someone cant find closer to Long Beach, if its the train, theres the LIRR right there! if they want a mall, Roosvelt Field is closer and has all the same stores as Broadway mall.

I don't think there's a big market for people out east going to Elmont or anywhere the N8 goes. If anyone needs to get to Stewart Manor from the main line there's the N25 there already. People don't go to green acres from that far out as Roosevelt Field is much closer and safer. (Green Acres Mall has a stigma for being the place where all the people from the hood go, so people who aren't in that immediate area tend to avoid it and go to Roosevelt Field or Walt Whitman Mall)

Plus is there even a demand for that many Elmont residents to get a one seat ride to Adelphi? theres the nearby N25 and N6 for transfers to hempstead or stewart manor or merillon avenue for access to mineola or adelphi.

that N58 to the top of Kings point is a joke, that needs to be cut, the buses can barely get up there let alone turn around, It was tight making a 3 point turn in a little toyota, I dont know how thye do it with a huge bus. The 58 should end at the Merchant Marine academy at all times the 58 actually runs.

F U C K OFF This has nothing to do with the topic and my ideas are very minor. Some are short term others long term If you have nothing nice or debatable to say STFU CUNT

Why don't you? Your cursing INAPPROPRIATELY at a person who made a sarcastic joke....Yeah yeah your ideas are very "minor"...

Who the hell is going to believe you? Your "ideas" are basically STUPID and you didn't even think about them...most of them will get the (MTA) bankrupt...

Especially if there is a thread about Veolia cutting LIB service....

Do you really think they are extending the N2 to Flushing via the LIE? That is the most STUPIDEST idea EVER. So, whos paying?? YOU.

GTFO and STFU (excuse language)

Any other one of your dumb "ideas" and I'll go deal with you..

Mega_Facepalm.jpg

:mad:

Archived