Subways crawling with rodents after MTA cuts back on staff, transit workers say

Harry

584d1316696577-subways-crawling-rodents-after-mta-cuts-back-staff-transit-workers-say-alg_rat-subway-protest.jpg

MTA budget and staffing cutbacks have caused the rat population to explode in the subway system, transit workers charged Tuesday.

"Cutbacks mean the rats are back!" Transport Workers Union Local 100 members and officers chanted at a rally at an entrance to the Parsons/Archer subway hub in Jamaica, Queens, which has one of the worst infestations.

Union members collected thousands of riders' signatures for a petition urging management to increase the frequency of garbage pickups, put more trash bins in stations and better seal off refuse storage rooms to rodents.

Read more: New York News, Local Video, Traffic, Weather, NY City Schools and Photos - Homepage - NY Daily News

LOL... Clearly some folks are in denial. I mean if the rat population is growing in the system, why folks can't see the problem with that is beyond me. Of course there will always be rats, but that isn't the point. More rats in the long run does not create a safe and sanitary ride for passengers and whoever can't see that clearly likes living in filth and squalor. :eek:

There was a report out on NY1 about a huge rat problem in one of the parks here in the city where tons of little kids play at. Do we say oh well there's rats are everywhere and risk kids getting bitten and getting God knows what, or do we tackle the problem? Luckily the Parks Department has tried to put some things in place to deal with them, but they also stressed the need for the general public to take more care about not leaving trash about in the park.

I think the same thing needs to apply here. There are some things that cannot be sacrificed, and the safety's public is one of them.

I agree with you VG8, but unfortunately the (MTA) can't really do much about it since they fired a lot of the cleaners due to their financial constraints. And since the state feels that agency can operate on peanuts, I don't see either problems being rectified any time soon.

I saw this huge rat at the Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street station today. It was hanging around on the lights above the (D)(N)(R) platforms. It was huge, and not just that, but plain disgusting. This isn't the first time. I saw huge rats at the Grand Street station moving about several times.

I saw this huge rat at the Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street station today. It was hanging around on the lights above the (D)(N)(R) platforms. It was huge, and not just that, but plain disgusting. This isn't the first time. I saw huge rats at the Grand Street station moving about several times.

soon I will not be able to resist my urge to stomp one of the rats to death when ever I walk with big boots. must resist urge to KILL RODENT

Archived