Subway - What If?

VWM

The (D) gets canceled.

Why? And nothing else is affected?

The 60th Street tunnel collapsed, flooding the tracks from the tunnel to 5 Av and cutting the power to 57 St-7 Av. What would you do in this disaster?

(N) No trains between Queensboro Plaza and Times Square. Trains run local in Manhattan and via Whitehall. Free transfer available between Queensboro Plaza and Queens Plaza during this time.

(Q) No trains between Astoria-Ditmars and Times Square.

(R) Trains run via the (D) from Pacific St to 47/50 St, then via the (F) to 36 St (Queens).

NEXT

A train has broken down switching from the local to the express tracks at 34 St & 6 Av. As a result, no uptown trains can run via 6 Av.

What would you do? Remember to provide equal-tph alternatives. No shuttle buses, single tracking, etc.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would probably just send the (1)(2)(3) up through the downtown side, even with the delays.

NEXT

The (D) gets canceled.

There aren't any switches nearby that would allow uptown trains to access the downtown track. (2)(3) trains would have to single-track from south of Wall Street; (1) trains from South Ferry. Once you had all the uptown trains on Track 2 (the downtown express track), you couldn't switch them back until after 34th Street.

(Not to mention that I doubt the line is setup for that much wrong-railing.)

Also, I concur with NX Express that your scenario doesn't make sense. Why is it cancelled? What part of the line is affected? What prevents me from just saying, "Create a new Y train from 205 Street to Coney Island via CPW/6 Av Express, 4th Av Express, and the West End Line" (or in other words, just rename the D something silly like the Y, or the greek letter pi, or the smiley face train)?

There aren't any switches nearby that would allow uptown trains to access the downtown track. (2)(3) trains would have to single-track from south of Wall Street; (1) trains from South Ferry. Once you had all the uptown trains on Track 2 (the downtown express track), you couldn't switch them back until after 34th Street.

(Not to mention that I doubt the line is setup for that much wrong-railing.)

Also, I concur with NX Express that your scenario doesn't make sense. Why is it cancelled? What part of the line is affected? What prevents me from just saying, "Create a new Y train from 205 Street to Coney Island via CPW/6 Av Express, 4th Av Express, and the West End Line" (or in other words, just rename the D something silly like the Y, or the greek letter pi, or the smiley face train)?

First off, still, I would single track it.

Also, regarding the (D) cancelation you have to provide service to every (D) station, along the route of the (D) given the current lines. So extennding the (:P from 145th St to Norwood would cover that section while the (B) is running. Like that.

NEXT

A train has broken down switching from the local to the express tracks at 34 St & 6 Av. As a result, no uptown trains can run via 6 Av.

-(D) Regular Service from 205th to 42nd then via 6th Av LCL switching back to the exp tracks before W4th continuing regular service to Coney.

-Northbound (D)'s run via backdoor at Coney via the Culver (F) line to Jay then via the (A) from W4 to 59th and regular service north.Some run via the (N) To Astoria or 57th or Continental to ease congestion.

-The (:P runs between Midtown 57-7th Av and Coney Island via (R) providing service along West End and select (N)'s run down West End.

-(F) Regular service from Coney to Jay then via (A) line to Canal then via local uptown(should not intefere with (C) service since its not too frequent) via 53rd St.Southbound is regular.

-(M)'s run on shuttle and between 42nd Bryant Park and Continental via 63rd St wrongrailing in 47th 50th and 42nd to not disrupt 6th Av service for the (B)(D) and (F) since 6th Av is impassable N/B.

First off, still, I would single track it.

Also, regarding the (D) cancelation you have to provide service to every (D) station, along the route of the (D) given the current lines. So extennding the (:) from 145th St to Norwood would cover that section while the (B) is running. Like that.

You can't single-track for that long a distance for several reasons, not least of which being that I highly doubt signalling and equipment makes it physically possible.

But why is the (D) cancelled? Look at some of the scenarios other people have posted. "The D is cancelled" is an answer, not a question. There's nothing that would cause the MTA to just cancel the D if all the tracks and stations were still fully operational.

Manny-B and the WTC area is impassible

This is how service is suspended

All stops near Manny-B and WTC are closed

I don't know what you mean by near, but I'll try.

(1) Extended to New Lots Av via the (3).

(2) Runs local between 42 St and Chambers St.

(3) No trains between 14 St and New Lots Av.

(J)(Z) No trains south of Delancey - Essex.

(:) Service suspended

(D) Trains run via the (F) between 34 St and Coney Island. Shuttles operate from Coney Island to Atlantic - Pacific.

(N) No trains between Atlantic / Pacific and 34 St - Herald Sq

(Q) No trains between Whitehall St and 34 St - Herald Sq

(R) No trains between 36 St (Brooklyn) and 34 St - Herald Sq

NEXT

Cortlandt St (R) - closed and impassable.

Grand St (B)(D) - closed and impassable.

Provide as much alternate service as possible. Be realistic.

(:): Service suspended.

(D): Trains run in 2 sections.

1. Between 205th St & 2nd Av (F) Station.

2. Between Whitehall St (R) and Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

(N): Late night service runs via Manhattan Bridge.

(R): Trains runs via Manhattan Bridge.

Free shuttle buses serve West 4th St, Grand St, Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall, and Cortlandt St Station.

Drawbridge Manufaction at Jamaica Bay and Broadway Bridge, subways cannot cross Jamaica Bay or Broadway Bridge.

Affecting (A)(S)(1).

NEXT

Cortlandt St (R) - closed and impassable.

N/B (D) Re-routed via backdoor (F) line via Culver Exp then continuing service via the (F) line to W4th and regular service N/B.

S/B (D)'s regular service between 205th and W4 and diverges to (F) line making its way to Coney Island.

(B) trains run between Atlantic Pacific and Brighton Beach as a shuttle providing West End Service in both directions.

Select (N) trains run via (D) line on West End for extra service.

(R) runs between Continental Av and 57th St-7th Av

(Q) and (N)'s provide local service between 57th and Prince St.

Drawbridge Malfunction at Jamaica Bay and Broadway Bridge, subways cannot cross Jamaica Bay or Broadway Bridge.

Affecting (A)(S)(1).

Rockaways:

(A): All Rockaway Trains turned at Howard Beach. Free transfer to (Q53) LTD available.

(S): Runs between Far Rockaway & Beach 116 ST.

Broadway:

(1): Between 181 St-South Ferry, normal service. Assuming that the roadway is also shot, use two shuttle buses for service:

1. Between 215 St & GWB Bus Term, via Broadway & St. Nicholas Ave.

2. Between 242 St & GWB Bus Term, via Washington Bridge, Univ. Ave & Kingsbridge Road, express until 225 St.

(Corrected spelling error in post. B))

I don't know what you mean by near, but I'll try.

1 Extended to New Lots Av via the 3.

2 Runs local between 42 St and Chambers St.

3 No trains between 14 St and New Lots Av.

J/Z No trains south of Delancey - Essex. B Service suspended

D Trains run via the F between 34 St and Coney Island. Shuttles operate from Coney Island to Atlantic - Pacific. N No trains between Atlantic / Pacific and 34 St - Herald Sq

Q No trains between Whitehall St and 34 St - Herald Sq

R No trains between 36 St (Brooklyn) and 34 St - Herald Sq

NEXT

Cortlandt St R - closed and impassable.

There are many ways to order service

Think of my scenario as a Bdwy/Lex/6/7/8 Avenue Fastrack at the same time

One Way

(1) service terminates at 14 street

(2) service terminates at 14 street

(3) terminates at 42 street

Alignment at 14 street

(1) uses the downtown tracks to relay

(2) USES THE UPTOWN TRACKS TO RELAY

(4) service terminates at BB with downtown service running local south of 42 street.

(5) service operates between BB via (2) routing north of E.180 ST and local uptown south of 42 street

(6) service terminates at 42 Street

(N)Operates in two sections

1.Between Forest Hills-71 and 34 street

2. Between Atlantic Avenue and Coney Island

(Q) service suspended North of Prospect Park

(R) SUSPENDED

(J) operates in two sections

1. Between Chambers Street and Jamaica

2. Between Atlantic Pacific Street and Bay Ridge-95 street

(M) operates as a shuttle

(B) IS SUSPENDED

(D) operates in 2 sections

1.Between 205 street and 2 Avenue via 6 Avenue Local

2.Between Atlantic Avenue and Coney Island

(F) operates via Crosstown

(E) operates via 6 Avenue to 2 Avenue

(G) Suspended

(A) operates along the (F) between Jay Street and W.4 street

©SUSPENDED

Now for your scenario NX:

(D) operates in two sections

1.Beween 205 street and 34 street-6 Avenue

2. Between 34 street-Broadway and Coney Island

(N) Service operates below 34 street only

(Q) Extended via Local to Astoria

(R) Rerouted to Astoria and operates via Manhattan Bridge

NOTE: Some service begin/end at Whitehall Street towards Bay Ridge

(J) to Bay Ridge Off-Peak Hours

<R> via Nassau during rush hours to Chambers Street

B operates via Broadway and 63 street to Forest Hills

Not realistic at all, but neither are any of the ones posted here really. This is just mainly to get you guys thinking.

ALL river crossings are closed and trains cannot pass through. Try to provide service to as many stations as possible. (However, Roosevelt Island and Broad Channel will obviously be left without any service)

I try to keep mine to one or two station/area closures.

ANYWAY... in this one I'll try to refrain from using a ridiculous number of single-track shuttles to provide service to out-of-the-way stations.

(1) No trains between 215 St and 242 St.

(2) No trains between 149 St - Grand Concourse and Borough Hall. Trains skip Hoyt St.

(3) No trains between Wall St and Borough Hall. Trains skip Hoyt St.

(4) No trains between 149 St - Grand Concourse and Utica Av.

(5) No trains between E 180 St and Flatbush Av.

(6) No trains between 138 St and 125 St. Trains operate to Bowling Green.

(7) No trains between Hunters Point Av and Times Square.

(A) No trains between Chambers St and High St. No trains between Howard Beach and Far Rockaway. Trains run local in Brooklyn.

(B) No trains running.

(C) No trains between Chambers St and Euclid Av.

(D) No trains between 161 St and 145 St, and between 2 Av and Atlantic - Pacific.

(E) No trains between Court Sq - 23 St and Lex Av - 53 St. Trains run local in Queens.

(F) No trains between York St and Delancey St, and between 63 St (relay via 57 St NQR) and 21 St - Queensbridge.

(J) No trains between Marcy Av and Delancey - Essex. Marcy Av-bound trains run express after Myrtle Av.

(L) No trains between Bedford Av and 1 Av. Limited service in Manhattan.

(M) No trains between Myrtle Av and 71 Av. Trains run every 24 minutes.

(N) No trains between Queensboro Plaza and Lex Av, and between Whitehall St and Atlantic / Pacific. Trains run local in Brooklyn.

(Q) No trains between Astoria - Ditmars and Court St - Borough Hall.

(R) No trains between 36 St and 71 Av.

(S) Round-robin service in the Rockaways.

(Z) Suspended, use (J).

NEXT

The 125 St Viaduct is discovered to have a structural defect. As a result, (1) trains cannot pass or stop at 125 St.

Change (1) service and provide enough extra service on nearby lines to accommodate passengers.

NEXT

The 125 St Viaduct is discovered to have a structural defect. As a result, (1) trains cannot pass or stop at 125 St.

Change (1) service and provide enough extra service on nearby lines to accommodate passengers.

Section A of (1) train service: 242nd to 137th St-City College.

Section B of (1) service: Shuttle buses provide service between City College and 96th St.

Section C: (1) trains run between South Ferry 96th St.

Section A of (1) train service: 242nd to 137th St-City College.

Section B of (1) service: Shuttle buses provide service between City College and 96th St.

Section C: (1) trains run between South Ferry 96th St.

Do you seriously think shuttle buses would be adequate for that line? Buses were barely enough in Inwood when 181 St collapsed, and that's only because the (A) was right nearby.

NEXT

Implement the 241-137, Shuttle, then 96-South Ferry Shuttle as suggested since it will get people to either the north or south ends (especially 116) but do one of two things:

(1) a few extra trains on the (A) or (C) (and Extend north of 168) and Maybe add onto the (D) (South of 145) wouldn't be a bad idea to reduce overcrowding.

(2) I would go as far as add (A) trains and go Local from 168-125 to help with the (C).

It would depend on the day and time this is occurring, but it's better to at least get those VC-Marble Hill-Inwood folks onto the (A) and make that journey faster and a lot less irritating than make a three-seat ride on one line.

NEXT

(1): Trains run

1. Between 242nd St & 168th Sts.

2. Between 96th St & South Ferry.

Shuttle Buses provided as follows.

1. Local Shuttle Buses make all stops between 168th & 96th Sts- 125th St Bus Stop made on Amsterdam Av.

2. Express Shuttle Buses make stops only at 168th, 137th and 96th Sts.

(A): Express operates overnight, but operates between 207th St & World Trade Center.

(C): Extra service operates between 168th St & 2nd Av (F).

Metro-North Hudson Line, M4, M5, M60 will cross honor at nearby stations with reroute.

Free Shuttle Buses, M4

SB: Left on 135th St, R on Amsterdam Av, R on 120th St, L on Broadway.

NB: R on 120th St, L on Amsterdam Av, L on 135th St, R on Broadway.

Free shuttle buses provided to/from (1) Station and nearby stations, as well as Bx11, Bx13, Bx35, Bx36 buses.

Amtrak will (1) train shuttle between Penn Station & Yonkers, where Bee-Line buses #1, #2 cross honors.

NEXT

No (E) trains can pass or stop at 7 Av/53 St. Both local tracks are blocked at 42 St - Bryant Pk.

How would you reroute service? Try to minimize switching at W4 St.

(E) operate via Broadway via 63 street to Whitehall Street

(F) Service every hour on 6 Avenue, service at regular frequencies along Crosstown

(M)Service Every 30 minutes From Forest Hills to Myrtle Avenue

NEXT:

The flushing Line collapsed from the strech of 72-77 streets. The Roosevelt Avenue Station is heavily damaged. Only the Queens Bound Express Track can be used on the IND Queens Boulevard Line. Reroute ALL modes of transportation around the strech (i.e Buses and Subways). I know this is for subways only but lets see what you can come up with.

(E) operate via Broadway via 63 street to Whitehall Street

(F) Service every hour on 6 Avenue, service at regular frequencies along Crosstown

(M)Service Every 30 minutes From Forest Hills to Myrtle Avenue

There's actually a MUCH better solution, although it involves a bit more creativity. And every hour? Seriously?

NEXT:

The flushing Line collapsed from the strech of 72-77 streets. The Roosevelt Avenue Station is heavily damaged. Only the Queens Bound Express Track can be used on the IND Queens Boulevard Line. Reroute ALL modes of transportation around the strech (i.e Buses and Subways). I know this is for subways only but lets see what you can come up with.

I don't know buses, so I'll just deal with subways.

(7) To avoid overcrowding, there are no trains between Hunters Point Av and Flushing - Main St. Trains run as connections to the LIRR extra service.

(E) Limited service. No trains north of Queens Plaza.

(F) The following service pattern in effect:

......Trains operate at 25 trains per hour during the rush.

......Trains operate in the peak direction only in Queens during the rush hour:

.........AM rush, northbound trains terminate at 145 St. They then proceed southbound to Coney Island as (:( or (D) trains and wait in the yard.

.........Middays, trains run in both directions at 7 tph. In Queens, the switch arrangement allows for this, if Manhattan-bound trains wrong rail between 71 Av and Roosevelt Av. Additional (F) trains operate between Queens Plaza and Coney Island.

.........PM rush, southbound trains originate at 145 St, after having arrived there as (:) or (D) trains.

(M) No trains between Myrtle Av and 71 / Continental.

(R) No trains between Northern Bl and 71 / Continental.

LIRR Lots of extra service between Jamaica and Long Island City, and between Flushing and Long Island City.

NEXT

Queens Blvd Express tracks closed. Provide as much alternative service as possible.

NEXT:

I do this one.

There's actually a MUCH better solution, although it involves a bit more creativity. And every hour? Seriously?

I don't know buses, so I'll just deal with subways.

(7) To avoid overcrowding, there are no trains between Hunters Point Av and Flushing - Main St. Trains run as connections to the LIRR extra service.

(E) Limited service. No trains north of Queens Plaza.

(F) The following service pattern in effect:

......Trains operate at 25 trains per hour during the rush.

......Trains operate in the peak direction only in Queens during the rush hour:

.........AM rush, northbound trains terminate at 145 St. They then proceed southbound to Coney Island as (:( or (D) trains and wait in the yard.

.........Middays, trains run in both directions at 7 tph. In Queens, the switch arrangement allows for this, if Manhattan-bound trains wrong rail between 71 Av and Roosevelt Av. Additional (F) trains operate between Queens Plaza and Coney Island.

.........PM rush, southbound trains originate at 145 St, after having arrived there as (:) or (D) trains.

(M) No trains between Myrtle Av and 71 / Continental.

(R) No trains between Northern Bl and 71 / Continental.

LIRR Lots of extra service between Jamaica and Long Island City, and between Flushing and Long Island City.

NEXT

Queens Blvd Express tracks closed. Provide as much alternative service as possible.

Well:

(E) five less trains per hour or a train via local every 6 minutes

(F) five less trains per hour or a train via local every 8 minutes

(M) service between Forest Hills and Myrtle Avenue 62 minutes

(R) service every 15 minutes

Well:

(E) five less trains per hour or a train via local every 6 minutes

(F) five less trains per hour or a train via local every 8 minutes

(M) service between Forest Hills and Myrtle Avenue 62 minutes

(R) service every 15 minutes

Why not this?

(E) Local in Queens (obviously)

(F) Local in Queens (obviously)

(M) No trains north of Queens Plaza (trains use middle track north of there)

(R) No trains north of Queens Plaza (trains use crossover west of there)

Does anyone have a new scenario?