Subway - What If?

VWM

I still have no idea why actual trackage has to be closed for stations to be constructed in these mock scenarios. For instance, I can see them closing Lex-63rd for a bit to fully construct the other side of the station (or even a part of it, like the lower level for instance, but the tracks remain open for (F) service (or anything else going through 63rd) to bypass safely.

Look what they're doing for the Culver viaduct, they didn't exactly shut down the entire thing for weeks or months at a time (save the weekend GO or two).

I would say this thread is supposed to be close to reality, at least more so than your average fantasy map thread. Close to reality, but probably still not completely realistic.

So while it's not terribly likely that they'd shut down the (F) through 2nd Avenue for a couple of months, it is possible... Certainly some renovations and construction projects require trackage to be shut down, although as you mention, typically shutdowns only happen on weekends. (I think it's been far more than two weekends that the Culver Line's been shutdown, and there's currently the same situation with the (1) in Upper Manhattan.)

So maybe I could have made my scenario even more realistic by stipulating that the (F) only had to be shut down on weekends, or we could pretend it's taking place in some alternate MTA that has decided to get projects done quicker by shutting lines down 24/7 instead.

It's just a bit of silliness, really. I tried to keep my scenario somewhat realistic, but it's no skin off my nose if other people want to turn the silliness dial up to 11.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just a bit of silliness, really. I tried to keep my scenario somewhat realistic, but it's no skin off my nose if other people want to turn the silliness dial up to 11.

I turn it up to 12.

But on the rest of the post, i have to agree. It is supposed to be close to reality. But we don't spew out fantasy trackage (some (T) what if scenarios thrown in, but that's against the point.)

It's not 100% real

Or 100% fantasy

More like 75% fantasy and 25% real B)

Structural collapse at Cortelyou Road (:)(Q) and at Union Street (R). No trains can pass either station. Expected duration: one week.

I'm assuming (D)(N) tracks are unaffected here.

(R) trains would have to run 4 Avenue Express, with limited (D)(N)(R) service to squeeze in.

(:( and (Q) trains turn at Prospect Park, Shuttle buses replace the rest of the line

All BMT southern division lines are reverted to (S)huttles.

(S) Coney I. - 36 St via West End

(S) Coney I. - 36 St via Sea Beach

(S) Bay Ridge-95 St - 36 St

(B63) is re-routed via 4 Av to replace (D)(N)(R) service.

(D) trains are running via the (F) and via the center express track

(N) and (R) trains turn at Pacific St

A (S)huttle train is running for (B)(Q) trains between Kings Highway and Coney Island

(B)(Q) trains turn at Prospect Park

(B68) is re-routed via E 14/15 Sts Between Kings Highway(B)(Q) and Prospect Park to replace trains

What if:

Due to suspicious package in vicinity of Staten Island Ferry Terminal at South Ferry, (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(A)(C)(E)(J)(R)(Z) services will be affected along with ferry service.

Affected stations:

South Ferry-Whitehall St (1)(R)

Rector St

Bowling Green

Wall St

Broad St

Park Place-Chambers St-World Trade Center (2)(3)(A)(C)(E)- Exits not available.

Fulton St (2)(3)(4)(5)(A)(C)(E)- Exits not available.

What would you do?

What if:

Due to suspicious package in vicinity of Staten Island Ferry Terminal at South Ferry, (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(A)(C)(E)(J)(R)(Z) services will be affected along with ferry service.

Well, here goes nothing.

(R) trains are running via the Manny-B.\

(J)(Z) trains turn at Chambers Street

(1) and (2) trains turn at chambers st. Both run 7 Av Local

(3) runs to 14 St

(4) runs Lexington Avenue Local to Brooklyn Bridge

(5) runs on Brooklyn and Bronx only. It runs Flatbush Av-Atlantic Av to replace (2) trains and 149-GC to Dyre Av. It still runs <5> to Neried and such. (S) trains replace the (3) in Brooklyn from Atlantic Av-New Lots

(A)(C)(E) all turn at canal st.

The (A)(C) are running in Brooklyn from Jay St eastward. Rockway (S)huttle is Being extended to Euclid Currently

Shuttle buses replace trains in between gaps of stations

An express bus replaces the ferry

All BMT southern division lines are reverted to Shuttles.

(S) Coney I. - 36 St via West End

(S) Coney I. - 36 St via Sea Beach

(S) Bay Ridge-95 St - 36 St

B63 is re-routed via 4 Av to replace (D)(N)(R) service.

(D) trains are running via the (F) and via the center express track

(N) and (R) trains turn at Pacific St

A Shuttle train is running for (:((Q) trains between Kings Highway and Coney Island

(;)(Q) trains turn at Prospect Park

B68 is re-routed via E 14/15 Sts Between Kings Highway(B)(Q) and Prospect Park to replace trains

How about this:

(B) No trains between Prospect Park and Brighton Beach.

(D) Southbound trains run via the (F) from West 4th St to Coney Island, then via the (D) to 36 Street. Northbound, in reverse.

(F) Trains extended via Coney Island to 59 Street (N) station.

(N) No trains between Pacific Street and Stillwell Avenue.

(Q) No trains between Parkside Avenue and Kings Highway.

(R) No trains between Pacific Street and 36 Street.

(B)(Q)(R) passengers asked to use crosstown buses. (D)(N) customers advised to use trains via Stillwell Avenue.

(F) Trains extended via Coney Island to 59 Street (N) station.

The IND lines @ Coney Island Don't connect to the BMT Lines @ CI.

However, The (N) and (Q) connectoto each other because that's how they ran the (NX) to Brighton Beach. You could run a super shuttle or something from wherever on the (Q) to 36 (exp track) on the (N)

The (F)does connect to the other lines, because the Culver was originally BMT. So that (NX) could have just as easily been run from "Kings Hway Fox" as it's called!

As for through running like that, ou have two lines that curve around and enter Stillwell from the south, and the two that enter directly from the north. The through routing could be done between on any of the south routes ((F)(Q)) to any of the north routes ((N)(D)), but you couldn't do (F) to (Q) or (D) to (N).

• 1 month later...
I'll get this thread going again:

There are incidents on the Broadway Line between 34th and 42nd Streets and on the 8th Avenue Line at 23rd Street. No trains can pass either area.

No single-tracking, etc.

What would you do?

Re: 8th Avenue- Can't use the express track either, correct?

(sounds like a dumb question, but would want to clarify)

There are incidents on the Broadway Line between 34th and 42nd Streets and on the 8th Avenue Line at 23rd Street. No trains can pass either area.

No single-tracking, etc.

What would you do?

Eighth Avenue

(A) Between 2nd Avenue on (F) line Street & Lefferts Bl/The Rockaways.

(C) Between 2nd Avenue on (F) line & Euclid Avenue.

(E) Via (F) between 36 Street, Queens & West 4 Street. Local all the way to Church Avenue on the (F) line to replace Lower Manhattan (A) & (C) service.

The (;) would run all times to 207 Street, suspending Bedford Park Bl service. The (D) would run as normal, with no peak direction express in the Bronx.

Broadway

(N): Two sections: Between Queensboro Plaza & Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard, and between Whitehall St-Coney Island.

(Q): Suspended, since (:P is running all times via Local in Brooklyn.

(R): Two sections: Between Court Square on the (G) line and 71 Street, and between Pacific Street and 95 Street in Brooklyn.

For Lower Manhattan (R) stations, use nearby (4) stations.

For Broadway stations, use free shuttle bus (M7x) between Canal St and Lex-59 St via 59 & 60 Streets, 6 & 7 Avenues, and Broadway.

Edited by ThrexxBus

Eighth Avenue

(A) Between 2nd Avenue on (F) line Street & Lefferts Bl/The Rockaways.

(C) Between 2nd Avenue on (F) line & Euclid Avenue.

(E) Via (F) between 36 Street, Queens & West 4 Street. Local all the way to Church Avenue on the (F) line to replace Lower Manhattan (A) & (C) service.

The (;) would run all times to 207 Street, suspending Bedford Park Bl service. The (D) would run as normal, with no peak direction express in the Bronx.

Broadway

(N): Two sections: Between Queensboro Plaza & Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard, and between Whitehall St-Coney Island.

(Q): Suspended, since (:P is running all times via Local in Brooklyn.

(R): Two sections: Between Court Square on the (G) line and 71 Street, and between Pacific Street and 95 Street in Brooklyn.

For Lower Manhattan (R) stations, use nearby (4) stations.

For Broadway stations, use free shuttle bus (M7x) between Canal St and Lex-59 St via 59 & 60 Streets, 6 & 7 Avenues, and Broadway.

1. How can (A) and (C) trains terminate at 2 Av from the south? That's not possible - check a track map

2. Your 8th Av service plan would lead to utter chaos at Jay Street. (A)(C)(E)(F) trains all getting in each others' way is not a good idea.

3. Nothing would go via 60th St?

I'll share my solution tomorrow.

No single-tracking, etc.

What would you do?

Get the f**k out the city ;) lol

But in all seriousness...

(R) via (F) from 36 St to Rockefeller Ctr, then via (D) to Atlantic-Pacific

(N) Service suspended between Herald Sq and Queensboro Plz

(Q) suspended north of Prospect Park, use B41 to Atlantic or (2)(3)(4)(5) at Botanic Gardens/Franklin Av for alternative servcice

(:P© suspended indefinitely

(M) suspended north of Essex St

(A) trains via 6 Av exp from 59 St to W 4 St

(E) trains via 6 Av local from 5 Av/53 St to W 4 St, then via the (F) to 2 Av

In this way, the W 4 switch is technically only used by the (A)

Get the f**k out the city ;) lol

But in all seriousness...

(R) via (F) from 36 St to Rockefeller Ctr, then via (D) to Atlantic-Pacific

(N) Service suspended between Herald Sq and Queensboro Plz

(Q) suspended north of Prospect Park, use B41 to Atlantic or (2)(3)(4)(5) at Botanic Gardens/Franklin Av for alternative servcice

(:P© suspended indefinitely

(M) suspended north of Essex St

(A) trains via 6 Av exp from 59 St to W 4 St

(E) trains via 6 Av local from 5 Av/53 St to W 4 St, then via the (F) to 2 Av

How do (N) trains operate to Herald Square? They can't turn around - remember that the switch is in the problem area.

And how would West 4th Junction handle the (A)(E)(F)(R) all at once?

1. How can (A) and (C) trains terminate at 2 Av from the south? That's not possible - check a track map

2. Your 8th Av service plan would lead to utter chaos at Jay Street. (A)(C)(E)(F) trains all getting in each others' way is not a good idea.

3. Nothing would go via 60th St?

1. They can double back and use the switches the (V) once used.

2. It was the only thing I could think of. The (E) could terminate at WTC, but it would leave High St without service. But, no one really uses High Street. And the B25 stops nearby too.

3. Oh! The (R) queens section would go to 57 Street.

Check out my situation!

1. They can double back and use the switches the (V) once used.

2. It was the only thing I could think of. The (E) could terminate at WTC, but it would leave High St without service. But, no one really uses High Street. And the B25 stops nearby too.

3. Oh! The (R) queens section would go to 57 Street.

1. And the (F) would do what while all of that is going on?

2 & 3. We're getting there...