Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

I was in the front car and he jumped in with TO. I peeped through the window and he was writing stuff down while the TO was operating.

I was in the front car and he jumped in with TO. I peeped through the window and he was writing stuff down while the TO was operating.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea bro ,just been thinking so much and made up my mind to leave my job to dedicate myself to this ..my main concerns was spending time with my daughter and be home on the holidays but working for mta to won't happen ..but in the long run it should pay off ..so let's see how this works out..I'm just use to working a regular 9-5 with weekends and holidays off I guess ..so huge transition to get use to

@Statensirt, more than likely it was a probationary Train Operator and the TSS was doing an evaluation, meaning observing his operation. When you go out on your own, as a probationary Train Operator, TSS's ride your train frequently to observe your operation. If it wasn't a probationary Train Operator, then it was just a random TSS just filling in his sheet for that day. They just usually right down car #, Train Operator's name and pass number and call letters (train interval ) @mikeems1, hoping we get called for drug exam in the next round.

hope you guys get that letter this week,

question,( you guys will be getting a lot from me lol)

-so the first 2 weeks will be paper works and us splitting into groups? when do we pick the division we want?

-during training and after the Signal exam, we will be doing practicals? how are the practicals so far? for those training as we speak

-so training,posting etc is 7-9 months?

-when posting and you choose the division you desire ( you will be posting within the division you choose?

-for any reason you wanted the B division because you live within queens area and you are thrown into the A division..can you switch over to the B division if so..do you have to training for another 2 months to learn B division?

@tprashad0719...you pick divisions the 2nd day of orientation,so there for you can start training on the division you picked. As far as practicals, you have to pass Yard practicals and road practicals. The whole training is around 9 months. If you go to the A division it's a little shorter. If you're thrown to the A division because of a shortage of T/O's, you will eventually be able to pick into the B division once pick season approaches. They pick every 6 months.

Waiting for a letter or waiting for the call is the easy part. I've been on my own and off probation for a while now. When you go through school car for whatever amount of time your Div choice requires, it's tough. But once you get on your own and are no longer probationary, there's something I've noticed. They no longer see the "probationary" next to your name so some TD's automatically assume you know what there is to know about the job you are working for the day. Don't get caught up in that. Ask questions. Most of the TD's will respect the fact that you asked 1st before starting out. Some TD's look at you like you have 6 heads. This goes for the ppl in school car & YX program. For those waiting, please take this opportunity to get things in your life done, spend time with family, because once you're here, TA is your life for most of your 1st few years.

Don't mean to scare. But it is a job that must be taken seriously. I love the job. When you 1st start out, you are on extra extra. Meaning you are at the mercy of the crew office. But it's the best time to make money. You'll see when you get out the. I'm in the B-Div. On PM's. Yes i work weekends....by choice. The crew office has be pretty good with consistent starting times. Usually within an hour difference each day. But they try to keep you close to home. I mainly work out of queens, but there is the times they send me uptown to the Bronx or 207. But for the most part, i really enjoy this job.

All the best to you. With this job, the bad is yes you'll feel like, all you ever do is work, but the good is that it pays really well & you have the opportunity to make more. Whether it's with OT or just applying for a promotional test to advance in your career. I thought, at first, damn, i hardly see my wife except on my days off. But now,because of this job, financially, we are in the green. Good with the bad. ....you have to get through it.

Yes, 2 days in a row. Unless they are changing your days off. Again, mercy of the crew office. You can have Monday/Tuesday off for a month, but if they decide to change that to Sat/Sunday, you will only get Sunday off 1st then Sat because they go by Sun/Sat. After a week they become 2 consecutive days. There are times you might get 3 straight days off when they change it. Example...if you currently have Sun/Sat off, they decide to give you Sun/Mon now, that change will give you Sat/Sun/Mon off that 1st week of the change. Sounds confusing but it gets easier to understand after a few times.

There's alot to do before all that. But with me, i do a different line, different job, at a different start time every day i work. I will say that while i was in the YX program, i was lucky to have the same job all week, then a different job the next for the entire week. Totally different than on the road. For example, Sat, i worked the F line, church ave - 179. Yesterday i worked the E line.

@west end thanks for the info. sounds like any other job that works on 24 hour shifts. And there is a possibility of having weekends off at some point in your life.

@ mikeems what is your list # if you don't mine me asking ? I got called for the drug test then I think I delayed it a bit because I had to pay a moving violation ticket that I got. Now I'm waiting for the results.