Why cant we ride?

Engr08

Im not here trying to start trouble but i have a question, why Amtrak employees cant ride on MTA system? Now Metro North and LIRR dont really give us trouble but the bus and subway system do. Me and my fellow co-worker was embarrassed by a subway clerk and I was told by a MTA bus driver, " why should I ride you guys I dont use the system, you have to swipe your card." Now I see nothing but MTA guys deadheading on our trains at Trenton, Metropark and etc. They are asking for a $50 plus ride compared to $2.50? Whats the problem MTA?

Hey thanks E, I understand what you are saying. Just explain to me or whoever why you cant do it, just talk to me like a adult. When you laugh in my face and try to put me on blast on the mic in the booth thats when I start losing respect.

I remember when I was with B/O friends on M4, (NJT) Employees flash his NJT Employee ID Card. He wasn't sure but he let him in.

I also wonder since Atlantic Express X23/X24 takes MetroCard, I always wondering if (MTA) employees allow to ride their X23/X24, while Atlantic Express employee can ride MTA for free?

Maybe on MNCR/LIRR you can ride for free since its Railroad, which also shares trackage with Amtrak in some areas.

I know some NJT/SEPTA employees getting free rides on Amtrak. They buy a ticket and if they are let in for free they get a refund from the tickets they bought.

NYCTA doesn't handle the Railroad, so some of the employees don't know much about Amtrak and the Railroad companies out there.

Subways and Buses are different compared to RR.

Maybe on MNCR/LIRR you can ride for free since its Railroad, which also shares trackage with Amtrak in some areas.

I know some NJT/SEPTA employees getting free rides on Amtrak. They buy a ticket and if they are let in for free they get a refund from the tickets they bought.

NYCTA doesn't handle the Railroad, so some of the employees don't know much about Amtrak and the Railroad companies out there.

Subways and Buses are different compared to RR.

It doesnt matter if the subways and buses dont handle the railroad, we are transportation workers and we should look out for one another. Also it messes it up for the subway and bus workers who do depend on the railroad to get to Ny.

It doesnt matter if the subways and buses dont handle the railroad, we are transportation workers and we should look out for one another. Also it messes it up for the subway and bus workers who do depend on the railroad to get to Ny.

In a nutshell you are right I have spotted MTA employees in central NJ while I did secret shops there. Even in the poconos some MTA personell live in the PA region.

It's likely bosses making then enforce the fare. Then, those other systems personnel begin taking it out on MTA workers.

I can't speak for railroad clerks but drove I a bus for a long time and I always let other transportation employees ride. Sometimes when I lived in Jersey the conductors on NJT let me ride sometimes they didn't,I never let the people who insisted on following the letter of the law influence the way I operated my bus. The bus operators who don't allow other transit professionals the courtesy of a ride fall into two categories 1. Power mad "captains of the ship" 2. scared to do the right thing.

The funny thing is he probably has 5 farebeaters on the bus already but wants to confront you so can feel good about him self. As long as you are humble when asking i have no problem giving a ride, just show id. I have a friend that is a conductor and ride Amtrak free all the time, He said he even swapped vapor keys with another conductor. Engr08 your just dealing with the sorry bus operators at that time, just shake it off man. There a-holes everywhere, you just might catch one behind the wheel of an MTA bus.

The funny thing is he probably has 5 farebeaters on the bus already but wants to confront you so can feel good about him self. As long as you are humble when asking i have no problem giving a ride, just show id. I have a friend that is a conductor and ride Amtrak free all the time, He said he even swapped vapor keys with another conductor. Engr08 your just dealing with the sorry bus operators at that time, just shake it off man. There a-holes everywhere, you just might catch one behind the wheel of an MTA bus.

Thanks bro but this is not the first time. I mean I wouldnt complain about just one person but this has been going on for a little bit. I remember when Liberty Line was around, I use to ride with this female bus driver and paid. When she found out that I worked for Amtrak she started covering up the fare box and let me ride for free. I just dont get it sometimes and Im sorry to keep complaining about this guys but some people that work for the MTA can be really rude. I know there are some people that work for Amtrak can be the same way but for the most part we just dont care who rides. I thank all of you guys for listening or reading lol and understanding my anger.

Thanks bro but this is not the first time. I mean I wouldnt complain about just one person but this has been going on for a little bit. I remember when Liberty Line was around, I use to ride with this female bus driver and paid. When she found out that I worked for Amtrak she started covering up the fare box and let me ride for free. I just dont get it sometimes and Im sorry to keep complaining about this guys but some people that work for the MTA can be really rude. I know there are some people that work for Amtrak can be the same way but for the most part we just dont care who rides. I thank all of you guys for listening or reading lol and understanding my anger.[/Quote]

When I started with MABSTOA In 1980 we were told that It was at the discretion of the TA RR clerk or bus driver. Until this thing is straightened out between the agencies you don't have free access to TA facilities. I'll tell you this, we at MABSTOA had to give up something contractually in order to get that red pass. I think when we finally got it you had to give up your spouse's pass.

I give anyone a ride that's in transportation, what's funny I was going home and try to get on the D train, so I flash my pass and the conductor gave me a whole speech talking about look what the gate says, it says to swipe your card. I looked at him like really, so I was like its no problem ill just pay, then he turns around and says I'm going to let you go, in my head I was like you let me go though all of this bs then to turn around to tell me to go though. I just looked at him and said thank you very much smh. I even told him you guys ride the express lines all the time and he says well I don't. At the end of the day I still let ever one ride its not that serious. But for the most part that was my first time having a issue trying to use the subway system with my infamous GREEN pass.

Archived