Please, one holiday at a time

Harry

Can we finish up with Thanksgiving before being bombarded with Christmas ads. We haven't even got our turkey yet. Heck, we haven't even decided if we're going to spend Thanksgiving with my family or hers. :mad:

Brother (Harry) if that not bad enough (this is not a knock against X-Mas, guys it maybe my favorite holiday of the year) how this story. A local radio station here upstate in the Poughkeepsie area as of this this past Friday (11/18/11)started playing Christmas-season music 24/7. Talk about overkill. Well said about worrying about 1 holiday at a time:tup:.

Not to mention saw on the news and read articles on how a few people around the country are already 'camping out' at department stores waiting for start of Black Friday. That for another discussion though.

I don't have a problem mixing in a X-mas song starting now with regular music and then say by Dec.23 playing it all the time until 12/26. It does get annoying after a while playing "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" 2,000 times a day.:P

lol... Yeah and then there's Black Friday. I never understood why in the world people camp out in the cold on some filthy ground for a few discounts when you can shop online and get better discounts, more sleep and not be bothered with obnoxious morons trying to stampede you for some cheap "Made in China" garbage sold in one of those box stores. :P

I can say one thing about this year... "Made in USA" all the way for me. :cool: :tup::tup:

I agree, I mean damn. Can we slow down a little bit? Christmas is my favorite time of year, but it seems to be coming way too fast this year! I'm not used to all this Christmas stuff until Thanksgiving Day. Thats when we put the tree up and get into the groove of things. Can we get there first?:confused:

Part of this is due to the economy being in the tank. The stores are feeling the pressure to make a profit and realize that some folks are holding their money, so they're doing everything to get the average folks out to buy. The luxury stores aren't feeling it though, as the wealthy are starting to buy again. I was in Saks and Bloomingdales not too long ago and they were both packed. Barney's was so-so, but then again it's always like that in terms of crowds when I go there.

More and more folks are also buying online too, esp. moi. :cool: I can find a lot of unique things that I can't find in the regular stores and at what I would consider to be good prices considering the quality and such. I have personally made a few trips to Neiman Marcus out in Paramus, only to find that they only carry what I want online, so screw it. :mad: Now I shop online and make fewer trips to those stores unless I'm sure that I can get it cheaper in the store. True Religion is the one exception. I always go to Paramus because there are no sales tax and whatever they don't have I can have them send it to me or made custom if need be.

The auto industry are the worst culprits. I don't know about you guys but I've never known anyone to get a freaking brand new car for Christmas. And during these shitty times I don't think it's happening anytime soon.

Maybe if you or any of us were related to that family that founded Wal-Mart or Bill Gates lol you might get a new lexus(joking). I never heard of a family getting a new car for Christmas either sadly. Best is maybe a 'used car' or in recent years a new computer or flat screen digital tv.:P

Also guys going on another point on '1 holiday at a time' what about some radio stations playing X-mas music 24/7 until Dec. 26?

Can we finish up with Thanksgiving before being bombarded with Christmas ads. We haven't even got our turkey yet. Heck, we haven't even decided if we're going to spend Thanksgiving at home, with my family or hers. :mad:

And this happened last year too. I mean C'mon they're shoving the damn holiday down our throats! Rather than be grateful for one to another's company (Thanksgiving) everybody instead wants to recieve presents & be happy & ends up getting greedy after a while. I swear some people don't know how (Christmas) to save the best for last.:P

And this happened last year too. I mean C'mon they're shoving the damn holiday down our throats! Rather than be grateful for one to another's company (Thanksgiving) everybody instead wants to recieve presents & be happy & ends up getting greedy after a while. I swear some people don't know how (Christmas) to save the best for last.:P

Well said buddy. There a few generation of some kids who are spolied brats (as concourse would say)and have no clue the really meaning of both Thanksgiving and X-mas. To some of them it's only about getting $300 Nike Air sneakers, Sony Play stations, or whatever the hottest gift is at the moment.:tup::(

Well said buddy. There a few generation of some kids who are spolied brats (as concourse would say)and have no clue the really meaning of both Thanksgiving and X-mas. To some of them it's only about getting $300 Nike Air sneakers, Sony Play stations, or whatever the hottest gift is at the moment.:tup::P

Do Nike's really cost that much? I don't remember then being that expensive when I was in high school. :eek:

They were showing x-mas ads during Halloween....some stores already started selling x-mas stuff before November even started!

Was going to mention this as well. THey had Christmas ads on Halloween! WTF?

Just terrible how Thanksgiving is just skipped over just to commercialize Christmas. I wouldn't be surprised one day Thanksgiving is the new 'Christmas eve'. November is just 'in the way' of Christmas commercialization.

The real problem is it's the same stuff over and over. How many friggen times can you cover "Jingle Bells"? I can leave the Sirius-XM christmas channel running on my tv (DISH and Direct run the stations on audio only feeds on high numbers), and only notice it when a Mannhiem Steamroller or a Trans-Siberian Orchestra song starts.

Given the fact that stations are now spending an entire month on Yule mode, I don't think it's a niche market anymore.

Atleast they'll stick in Adam Sandler's Thanksgiving song one in a while this week.

Not to mention NYC 106.7 WLTW-FM and few stations in the metro area including a local Poughkeepsie 'soft rock' station also playing X-mas songs 24/7 until around Monday Dec. 26.:eek:

They were showing x-mas ads during Halloween....some stores already started selling x-mas stuff before November even started!

Here Christmas stuff appears the last couple weeks of September. It would of been sitting the back rooms for a few weeks before that.

Ads have only appeared in the last couple of weeks along with all the local councils putting thier Christmas decorations up.

One house near me already has thier tree and decorations up.

Here Christmas stuff appears the last couple weeks of September. It would of been sitting the back rooms for a few weeks before that.

Ads have only appeared in the last couple of weeks along with all the local councils putting thier Christmas decorations up.

One house near me already has thier tree and decorations up.

Very true my friend. Not just down under but most of the former British empire nations and even the UK as well from the Carribean to Canada, New Zeland and Britian as well which don't have a Thanksgiving(Canada's own is on Columbus Day)put up their Christmas 'stuff' by End of Halloween-First week of November at the lastest.:eek:

Shifting gears does anyone do shopping on Black Friday? I hate it and will shop other times.

what defines christmas stuff in a place where Christmas means the beach instead of freezeing one's rear end off? no, seriously.

It's really the same decorations as everyone else. Bon Bons, Tinsel, tree decorations and so on.

Lunch and dinner it gets different. Seafood(Prawns mainly) has become a bit of an alternative to ham and turkey.

Archived