Nova LFS Artic on M79?

Gorgor

This morning I saw one of them going westbound stopped at a red light at York with the M79 sign up. It was raining pretty hard so I didn't bother to stick around and see if it was actually going to go and pick up passengers or if they were just testing it. I also saw one a few days ago driving along 79th Street except it said not in service.

Does this mean that they're going to start putting Nova LFS Artics on crosstown routes? It would really help because there's many elderly people who use these routes (M79, M86), and it takes them time to walk up all those stairs on the buses we have now.

This morning I saw one of them going westbound stopped at a red light at York with the M79 sign up. It was raining pretty hard so I didn't bother to stick around and see if it was actually going to go and pick up passengers or if they were just testing it. I also saw one a few days ago driving along 79th Street except it said not in service.

Does this mean that they're going to start putting Nova LFS Artics on crosstown routes? It would really help because there's many elderly people who use these routes (M79, M86), and it takes them time to walk up all those stairs on the buses we have now.

Yessir! Quill is taking in a new batch of LFS Artics.

Peep here for some of the pics of them fresh and in service.

Yep. I saw a few of them on the M14 on Wednesday. They received an order. How many I don't know.

Perhaps, but right now, the idea is for the new artics to replace the older ones. It comes down to: do people want to wait longer for longer buses or have what they have now- short buses at current headways?

Crosstown buses desperately need more service on them. During the evening rush if the bus even decides to show up I'll have to stand from Lexington until at least 2nd. Having headways so high as 6 minutes during rush hour is ridiculous. They should be lowered to around a bus every 3 or 4 minutes to keep up with the demand. There are many people who prefer to walk to York or East End from the subway because it's faster and easier than standing on a bus, but increasing service would help them a lot.

Having standees is actually a bit dangerous for crosstown buses going through the park, especially for the M79 where the driver will go pretty fast around that S shaped curve on the west side; M86 isn't as bad. A few years ago I was sitting in one of those single seats and this fat woman lost her balance and barreled right into me. My back and shoulders were still hurting the next day, and I even considering whether or not a lawsuit against the MTA would be winnable for me.

Sorry to be off-topic here, but they put an artic on the M60?

lol... It's not off topic... It's about new NOVAs being put on various routes... Yeah, I took the 20:54 BxM2 to the city tonight from Riverdale and on my way in there was a NOVA artic on the M60... I don't know for sure if it was from one of the newest batches of NOVA artics delivered, but it was definitely a NOVA artic and judging how spanking new it looked, I would imagine that it was recently delivered. :cool: A big improvement over those other filthy artics. Can't wait until they get rid of all of them. Signage is poor and it's a pain getting on them and they stink to boot w/those nasty worn out "cushioned" seats. :tdown:

Those buses are from 2009-2010 actually, the new batch of buses we're talking about are on the M14, M23, M79, and M86.

Yeah, I know... I'm the one that said I saw some new ones on the M14 on Wednesday... Anyway, how are you so sure that none of the artics on the M60 are new ones?? The way the (MTA) moves buses around, anything is possible.

Yeah, I know... I'm the one that said I saw some new ones on the M14 on Wednesday... Anyway, how are you so sure that none of the artics on the M60 are new ones?? The way the (MTA) moves buses around, anything is possible.

The M60 is out of 126th Street IIRC. Those artics been here for about three years.

Well the one I saw looked awfully new... Are you sure 126th street isn't getting any new ones either?? They have some artics that should be replaced too.

The ones that run on the M60 are 1280-1289. The only set of buses at 126 without the Select Bus Service wrap. They'll be one of the last depots to get new artics.

Having standees is actually a bit dangerous for crosstown buses going through the park, especially for the M79 where the driver will go pretty fast around that S shaped curve on the west side; M86 isn't as bad. A few years ago I was sitting in one of those single seats and this fat woman lost her balance and barreled right into me. My back and shoulders were still hurting the next day, and I even considering whether or not a lawsuit against the MTA would be winnable for me.

Sue the (MTA) because someone wasn't holding on. So let's say a New Flyer stopped on an upgrade at a light. For example, the hill on 164th and Hillside on the Q65 or Lex Av & 103rd or the "Bx9 hill" on 225th. The light turns green, bus pulls off but the transmission jerks because of the hill. You fall back because you wasn't holding on. Who's fault is that?

Is it the driver's fault? Nope.

Bus' fault? (And you can go down the line from manufacturer to transmission) - Nope.

It's completely your fault because you failed to exercise common sense for your own safety. So just give it a break. You stay bitching over the stupidest shit.

Well coming back from Riverdale tonight on the BxM2, I noticed that a new artic was on the M60, so they're definitely moving them around.

The buses that pop up on the 126th Street routes are from the first LFSA order back in 2010. (1200-1289) 1280-1289 can shuffle between the M31, M60 and M116. These buses popping up on the M60 have been occurring more often as of late.

126 won't have the new 2011-2012 LFSAs until later on down the line. 5943-5957 is supposed to be heading over there. If you want something to differentiate between the two, just look at the HVAC on top. The flatter ones are the 1200s and the bulkier ones are the newer ones.

LFSA_1283c.jpg

LFSA_0059.jpg

Sorry to be off-topic here, but they put an artic on the M60?

They have been running on the M60 since the summer.

The ones that run on the M60 are 1280-1289. The only set of buses at 126 without the Select Bus Service wrap. They'll be one of the last depots to get new artics.

Why is that? Aren't the older artics they have ready for retirement soon? :confused:

The buses that pop up on the 126th Street routes are from the first LFSA order back in 2010. (1200-1289) 1280-1289 can shuffle between the M31, M60 and M116. These buses popping up on the M60 have been occurring more often as of late.

126 won't have the new 2011-2012 LFSAs until later on down the line. 5943-5957 is supposed to be heading over there. If you want something to differentiate between the two, just look at the HVAC on top. The flatter ones are the 1200s and the bulkier ones are the newer ones.

LFSA_1283c.jpg

LFSA_0059.jpg

Makes sense... It was dark out and we were moving along, so I was trying to see the number of the bus without luck of course... ;)

The M86 will get artics once 100 St/Tuskegee Airmen (or whatever the hell they calling it now) gets their batch. Right now, its Quill (M14/23/57/79)

A few years ago I was sitting in one of those single seats and this fat woman lost her balance and barreled right into me. My back and shoulders were still hurting the next day, and I even considering whether or not a lawsuit against the MTA would be winnable for me.

Story of your life, guy. :tdown:

They might be replaced by slightly younger artics until their new batch comes in.

Makes sense. Various depots can use new artics... Gotta spread them around...

Story of your life, guy. :tdown:

lol...

The M86 will get artics once 100 St/Tuskegee Airmen (or whatever the hell they calling it now) gets their batch. Right now, its Quill (M14/23/57/79)

Looking forward to seeing artics on the M57... #1 replace those RTSs ;) and #2... Relieve overcrowding...

Looking forward to seeing artics on the M57... #1 replace those RTSs ;) and #2... Relieve overcrowding...

Artics, or even low floors are needed on the M31 before the M57.

And why don't any of the 5th Avenue bus routes (M1, M2, M3, M4) have artics? Is there not enough room for them to turn around down by 8th Street or wherever?

Archived