NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

The largest service improvements in years may be on the way for Nassau bus riders, including new express buses on one of the county's busiest routes and the transformation of Nassau Community College into a "transit hub," NICE officials said Friday.

Nassau Inter-County Express chief executive Michael Setzer detailed the agency's plans to expand service on several lines on Sept. 1.

The proposed changes have not been finalized, said Setzer, who plans to gather feedback from riders at three community meetings scheduled next week.

Among the biggest changes are the introduction of the N4 Express, serving riders on the South Shore route -- the second busiest in NICE's system behind the N6.

Inspired by the N6 Express, introduced last year, the N4 will only make key stops between Freeport and Jamaica, relieving crowding on buses and offering a faster ride for many passengers.

The plan also calls for major service increases for Nassau Community College. Six different routes would service the Garden City campus, with buses running every five minutes during rush hour and every 10 minutes during midday, and making all stops in and around the campus.

Setzer said that while most of the proposed changes are driven by demand, part of NICE's strategy in boosting service for the college is to target young people and transform them into bus riders for life.

"They're flexible. They're less interested in driving. They're more concerned about the environment," Setzer said. "We think this is an investment in creating adult riders for the future."

NICE is paying for the improvements with about $5 million in new state aid and $3 million in new fare revenue from the recent 25-cent increase on MetroCard customers.

Charlene Obernauer, founder of the nonprofit Long Island Bus Riders Union, called the changes "a really positive thing" for NICE, which carried fewer riders last year than in 2011.

NICE's operator, Veolia Transportation, took over the bus system in January 2012 from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which previously ran it for 37 years.

"The more we look to the future of our transit system, the better it is for the future of Nassau County," Obernauer said.

A guy in the comment section is having a field day.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copying/pasting from the site is proving to be a real pain in the ass, so I'll do this:

Disclaimer for content that could cause buttfrustation?  No.

wvsweeney:

They should get rid of the bus entirely. Waste of time. Shuttling around skells. Let these people line in NYC by a train.

Pmula replied:

Let me guess your other white adult who grew up on LI your parents gave you your first car smh.. I havent taken a bus since highschool but just because you don't take the bus doesn't make you a better person than them..

JAFO Posted (in reply to the sweeney guy):

An idiot is born every day, what is your birthday Sweeney?

JAFO takes a bit of a break but comes biting back after this:

HalJordan:

Just in Time for elections!

Poor and brown people who vote for democrats and ride the not so nice bus in Nassau County!

Disregard the service cuts since Special Ed Mangano privatized the system and good news - we are kind of thinking about increasing service - but won't commit or fund it - but want this headline before the election!

Wait 40 min for the next bus instead of 45! Enjoy everyone an vote for Ed!

21260 replied:

The schedule is on line. If you look it up, you won't waste your time standing at the bus stop.

JAFO replied:

Most of the bus stops don't even have a place to sit, which is inhuman. Why don't you ride the bus and see how much you like it, you idiot!

zrusso:

who Cares.  [sic]

JAFO (Does it again!)

Lose you job, your source of income and have to take public transit...only to discover people like you were responsible for its elimination, and see how much you like them apples! Another idiot! Long Island must have woken up after taking idiot pills last night!

LMAO.

The only thing I can somewhat agree with is:

"Most of the bus stops don't even have a place to sit, which is inhuman."

I wouldn't call it 'inhuman' but it would be nice if there were more bus stops with a place to sit.

It is very much inhuman, considering bus stops already have no place to sit and are often placed above garbage cans or unmaintained sidewalks.

It is very much inhuman, considering bus stops already have no place to sit and are often placed above garbage cans or unmaintained sidewalks.

It's not 'inhuman' because a group well above average has no problems with standing (I mean people with the ability to stand). So it's not 'inhuman' but it's rather something else, I just can't think of a word for it right now.

(inhuman means it goes against human's nature and it's humans nature to have the ability to stand at a bus stop for quite a lot of humans so...)

Edited by Vistausss

The comments on the newsday site show the ignorance and "me" attitude of the average Nassau County resident many of whom haven't worked for anything in their lives.  Mommy and daddy paid for their first car, paid for their education and pocket money while in college so they didn't have to work  Then they come home to live at Mommy And Daddy's when they are done with school until they find the perfect job (whereas most people have to take the first job that comes along because they have to start paying for their student loans 6 months after they graduate along with the expenses they have with life).

Then after they land oa cushy job (or still in school) they turn their nose up at people who have to ride the bus, and then make ignorant comments that money shouldn't be spent on "these people" all while they have done nothing but suck off of mommy and daddy..  People like this piss me off to no end!

wvsweeney 

"They should get rid of the bus entirely. Waste of time. Shuttling around skells. Let these people line in NYC by a train."

and the half wits who talk but have no idea what service would have been like if NICE hadn't replaced the MTA:

HalJordan 

"Just in time for Elections!

Poor and brown people who vote for democrats and ride the not so nice bus in Nassau County!

Disregard the service cuts since Special Ed Mangano privatized the system and good news - we are kind of thinking about increasing service - but won't commit or fund it - but want this headline before the election!

Wait 40 min for the next bus instead of 45! Enjoy everyone an vote for Ed!"

Edited by Burrstone

It's not 'inhuman' because a group well above average has no problems with standing (I mean people with the ability to stand). So it's not 'inhuman' but it's rather something else, I just can't think of a word for it right now.

(inhuman means it goes against human's nature and it's humans nature to have the ability to stand at a bus stop for quite a lot of humans so...)

Because standing for over 15 minutes is fun and conducive to one's health.

Edited by Joel Up Front

The comments on the newsday site show the ignorance and "me" attitude of the average Nassau County resident many of whom haven't worked for anything in their lives.  Mommy and daddy paid for their first car, paid for their education and pocket money while in college so they didn't have to work  Then they come home to live at Mommy And Daddy's when they are done with school until they find the perfect job (whereas most people have to take the first job that comes along because they have to start paying for their student loans 6 months after they graduate along with the expenses they have with life).

Then after they land oa cushy job (or still in school) they turn their nose up at people who have to ride the bus, and then make ignorant comments that money shouldn't be spent on "these people" all while they have done nothing but suck off of mommy and daddy..  People like this piss me off to no end!

wvsweeney 

"They should get rid of the bus entirely. Waste of time. Shuttling around skells. Let these people line in NYC by a train."

and the half wits who talk but have no idea what service would have been like if NICE hadn't replaced the MTA:

HalJordan 

"Just in time for Elections!

Wait 40 min for the next bus instead of 45! Enjoy everyone an vote for Ed!"

I so agree with you

No I contacted NICE and they said that the n71 short turns currently ending at stewart av will be extended to 110

Ohh ok, Makes sense.

Because standing for over 15 minutes is fun and conducive to one's health.

Actually standing IS conducive to one's health. There are numerous studys that shows that sitting for prolonged periods of time is bad for one's health.

Ohh ok, Makes sense.

Actually standing IS conducive to one's health. There are numerous studys that shows that sitting for prolonged periods of time is bad for one's health.

After standing for at least 25 minutes every day for the last year for the N25, I really don't see any real improvements to my health.

After standing for at least 25 minutes every day for the last year for the N25, I really don't see any real improvements to my health.

Even if you don't: it's not that bad to just stand there waiting if your health is average or above average. Also, let me give you a bro tip: if you *really really really* don't want to wait for 25 minutes every day, don't get your ass so early at the bus stop.

Even if you don't: it's not that bad to just stand there waiting if your health is average or above average. Also, let me give you a bro tip: if you *really really really* don't want to wait for 25 minutes every day, don't get your ass so early at the bus stop.

The buses though are very unpredictable in LI.

I don't have a choice when I come home from school.  The train gets to the stop at 5:45 (more or less) and the next bus is supposed to come at 6:00, but because of rush hour traffic and someone getting on and off every other block, it gets there at 6:10.  Do you really think I'm doing this for my health?

The buses though are very unpredictable in LI.

Buses who aren't BRT, SBS or a combination thereof are almost always unpredictable, no matter where in the world. That's not an excuse.

I don't have a choice when I come home from school.  The train gets to the stop at 5:45 (more or less) and the next bus is supposed to come at 6:00, but because of rush hour traffic and someone getting on and off every other block, it gets there at 6:10.  Do you really think I'm doing this for my health?

Every day 25 minutes late? Nah, that's a bit exagerating. Also, doesn't a train station have benches in its vincinity?

Buses who aren't BRT, SBS or a combination thereof are almost always unpredictable, no matter where in the world. That's not an excuse.

Every day 25 minutes late? Nah, that's a bit exagerating. Also, doesn't a train station have benches in its vincinity?

The only benches around are about a train length back from the bus stop in the station waiting room.  The bus was always late - the N25 has to take that annoying route down from Great Neck and that is what slows it down.  The constant flow of trains holding traffic up to Jericho Turnpike sure does help, too.

Edited by Joel Up Front

The only benches around are about a train length back from the bus stop in the station waiting room.  The bus was always late - the N25 has to take that annoying route down from Great Neck and that is what slows it down.  The constant flow of trains holding traffic up to Jericho Turnpike sure does help, too.

How should it streamline?

Edited by qjtransitmaster