NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are all reading that poster wrong. That poster is showing you which bus routes you can take to NCC from which communities. Has nothing to do with LIRR

Agreed, otherwise the LIRR station would have been explicitly stated.

I think you are all reading that poster wrong. That poster is showing you which bus routes you can take to NCC from which communities. Has nothing to do with LIRR

Then why would they just list Amityville,Babylon, and Freeport on the n19 and not Seaford, Wantagh, Massapequa, Massapequa Park, Copiague, and Lindenhurst as well?  I can understand Babylon and Freeport considering they are the beginning and the end of the route, but Amityville (and exclude every other town)?  Unless they are planning something like I proposed and rerouting the n19 through Amityville RR, it it's only way it has anything in common with listing Amityville with Babylon and Freeport and excluding the other "communities."

You really don't know that unless you were in the head of the person that made the sign, otherwise that is an assumption just as we are thinking it means LIRR station considering that the poster doesn't explicitly state anything. 

Although, all the stations (and routes that I'm familiar with on the poster) have the routes listed running through that specific LIRR station, that's my thought process anyway behind assuming these were LIRR stations listed..

If that were true (and again I'm using routes I'm familiar with) wouldn't it be more likely to associate Amityville with the n54/55 as it connects more of the community (by connecting with several SCT lines (at Amityville RR) rather than the n19 which only serves a small portion of the "Amityville Community" on the south shore?

Anyway, I think we are all reading way to much into this poster, as it probably riddled with fails we are arguing and debating about...

You really don't know that unless you were in the head of the person that made the sign, otherwise that is an assumption just as we are thinking it means LIRR station considering that the poster doesn't explicitly state anything. 

Although, all the stations (and routes that I'm familiar with on the poster) have the routes listed running through that specific LIRR station, that's my thought process anyway behind assuming these were LIRR stations listed..

Right, based on our previous discussion I know nothing. Makes perfect sense, not.

Once again I know nothing. Your thought process is clearly superior to mine, especially if you determined that "You (I) really don't know" and "that is an assumption". Hypocrite.

Right, based on our previous discussion I know nothing. Makes perfect sense, not.

Once again I know nothing. Your thought process is clearly superior to mine, especially if you determined that "You (I) really don't know" and "that is an assumption". Hypocrite.

Act like a baby get treated like a baby...  Feel free to keep on throwing a temper tantrum every time I don't agree with you, this will help support your theory and keep the thread on topic.

Yes, I've stated before that you try to talk about what you have no idea or experience in before..  I try not to do that anymore, not because you've stopped.  You still spout garbage and your opinion on everything you hve no idea about from offering people advice on getting their CDL or what you would have done in the position of bus driver...  I just take a deep breath and ignore because I know saying anything that is against your opinion will spark an immature response like the one quoted.  I feel bad for people who actually take your advice like people preparing to get their CDL who doesn't know anything about getting their CDL in NY because you are a High School kid in California who knows nothing about getting their CDL in NY...

Can we move on and not have these immature little fits every time I say anything that may go against what you say?

Act like a baby get treated like a baby...  Feel free to keep on throwing a temper tantrum every time I don't agree with you, this will help support your theory and keep the thread on topic.

Yes, I've stated before that you try to talk about what you have no idea or experience in before..  I try not to do that anymore, not because you've stopped.  You still spout garbage and your opinion on everything you hve no idea about from offering people advice on getting their CDL or what you would have done in the position of bus driver...  I just take a deep breath and ignore because I know saying anything that is against your opinion will spark an immature response like the one quoted.  I feel bad for people who actually take your advice like people preparing to get their CDL who doesn't know anything about getting their CDL in NY because you are a High School kid in California who knows nothing about getting their CDL in NY...

Can we move on and not have these immature little fits every time I say anything that may go against what you say?

Sure, that's what it is, a temper tantrum.

Let me make this very clear to you, I'm not going to stand back while someone else is disrespecting my position on an issue. We can debate, but when it comes to rude conduct I take issue with that, and any self respecting individual would.

Furthermore, you and many other members in this particular section have made it a literal hellhole. If anyone offers anything that doesn't coincide with the majority's opinion they get flamed to a great extent. Usually I simply refrain from partaking in discussion here, but I for one am tired of this crap and I'm speaking out about it.

Until you comprehend that then I will no longer take issue, but until then you know where I stand.

All I did was offer my opinion god forbid it went against yours, we see the response.  

Sure, that's what it is, a temper tantrum.

Let me make this very clear to you, I'm not going to stand back while someone else is disrespecting my position on an issue. We can debate, but when it comes to rude conduct I take issue with that, and any self respecting individual would.

LOL you must get picked on in HS that's what I take out of this response...  Get's picked on and then comes online with this attitude that you will not stand down.  LMAO!  Prieless.

Furthermore, you and many other members in this particular section have made it a literal hellhole. If anyone offers anything that doesn't coincide with the majority's opinion they get flamed to a great extent. Usually I simply refrain from partaking in discussion here, but I for one am tired of this crap and I'm speaking out about it.

A literal hell hole huh?  

We all have differences of opinion here, you are the one freaking like a little child because I dared to offer an opinion that wasn't on bored with yours.  I didn't bash or flame you in anyway all I did was offer my opinion and this is the action it provoked, in turn responded with the attitude and response you say is the problem here.  Interesting, and then you finish with...

Until you comprehend that then I will no longer take issue, but until then you know where I stand.

Seig Heil!  I totally understand, I comprehend that you have an issue with anyone having an onion other than yours, you will freak out and throw the thread off topic if anyone dares to share an opinion that goes against yours  

Aren't you doing what you say is the problem here?

I'm going to be mature and move on, hopefully you can do the same.

All I did was offer my opinion god forbid it went against yours, we see the response.  

Your opinion (like many others you have made) was made in an extremely condescending manner. To say otherwise is fallacious.

LOL you must get picked on in HS that's what I take out of this response...  Get's picked on and then comes online with this attitude that you will not stand down.  LMAO!  Prieless.

Again you bring up something entirely irrelevant to the situation at hand. This doesn't get old to you?

Anyway, like a fair portion of people I have my share of altercations with people in day to day life. I don't stand for that either. What's it to you anyway. It's not as if said altercation reflect anything I project here on these forums.

A literal hell hole huh?  

We all have differences of opinion here, you are the one freaking like a little child because I dared to offer an opinion that wasn't on bored with yours.  I didn't bash or flame you in anyway all I did was offer my opinion and this is the action it provoked, in turn responded with the attitude and response you say is the problem here.  Interesting, and then you finish with...

Yes a hellhole.

No other section in this community has the amount of conflict that this one has, not even the subway section is comparable, as I found out that discussion could actually be held there. On the contrary here it's favoritism and arguing. Nothing else.

If you care to argue otherwise I'll bring out all the downvoted posts of members that contributed perfectly good content, or all the profane laden arguments had here in this section.

Seig Heil!  I totally understand, I comprehend that you have an issue with anyone having an onion other than yours, you will freak out and throw the thread off topic if anyone dares to share an opinion that goes against yours  

Aren't you doing what you say is the problem here?

I'm going to be mature and move on, hopefully you can do the same.

This cop out of yours isn't working. If you were as mature as you claimed you are you wouldn't have brought up this altercation and many others to light. The fact that you continually choose to leave these discussions just further proves your baseless antagonizing.

Either way I'm done. Have fun and enjoy your day.

Butbutbut... this hellhole needs you! :P

I meant move on with the topic, I mean this place wouldn't be a hellhole without me. :D

Your opinion (like many others you have made) was made in an extremely condescending manner. To say otherwise is fallacious.

Again you bring up something entirely irrelevant to the situation at hand. This doesn't get old to you?

Anyway, like a fair portion of people I have my share of altercations with people in day to day life. I don't stand for that either. What's it to you anyway. It's not as if said altercation reflect anything I project here on these forums.

Yes a hellhole.

No other section in this community has the amount of conflict that this one has, not even the subway section is comparable, as I found out that discussion could actually be held there. On the contrary here it's favoritism and arguing. Nothing else.

If you care to argue otherwise I'll bring out all the downvoted posts of members that contributed perfectly good content, or all the profane laden arguments had here in this section.

This cop out of yours isn't working. If you were as mature as you claimed you are you wouldn't have brought up this altercation and many others to light. The fact that you continually choose to leave these discussions just further proves your baseless antagonizing.

Either way I'm done. Have fun and enjoy your day.

I didn't even read that, I hope another outburst further bringing the thread of topic made you feel better. Are you about done now?

Edited by Burrstone

I think they should've said the n54/55 at the Amityville Spot for the n16x/n35

That's what I was thinking...  Still wondering why Amityville was listed out of any other town (or RR station) the n19 serves, there has to be a hidden plan somewhere, no other reason to list Amityville over any other place the bus passed through...

I'm also surprised that they are discontinuing the n45 and n51 through NCC, I guess they are freeing up the buses as it gets crowded with college students but I feel this will make both buses low ridership routes and on the chopping block for the next round...  

That's what I was thinking...  Still wondering why Amityville was listed out of any other town (or RR station) the n19 serves, there has to be a hidden plan somewhere, no other reason to list Amityville over any other place the bus passed through...

I'm also surprised that they are discontinuing the n45 and n51 through NCC, I guess they are freeing up the buses as it gets crowded with college students but I feel this will make both buses low ridership routes and on the chopping block for the next round...  

From what I heard the n45 & 51 will serve all NCC stops like the n16 does which will BOOST ridership on those routes. The n45 gets a number of people going to Roosevelt and helps out the n43 along Uniondale Ave. I'm sure many NCC students like in communities along those routes but many drive, the idea is to get them on the bus instead. 

If NICE/Veolia can actually follow through (as opposed to simply having a service increase "on paper"), the changes generally sound like good news for many Nassau County residents and those who commute/travel there for school, work, etc.

That said, I can't help but notice the way NICE/Veolia is going about some of these changes resemble the behavior exhibited by certain teenage students (which we teachers semi-affectionately called "knuckleheads") in a somewhat dysfunctional high school I used to teach in. We (teachers) usually figured that the "knuckleheads" have it all in them to be competitive, smart and become the pride of the community. But for some awful reason, they just cannot do things right the first time or at least come close to the mark. If they do manage by some miracle, they always seem to find a way to undermine themselves and their work to everybody's frustration.

For what it's worth, my two cents on the proposed changes (I'll limit my thoughts to which I've had a chance to ride extensively in the past): 

N4X - I agree with others on this thread who stated that it would probably be prudent to add a few more stops on this new route. As is, it looks to me like that the new route bypasses some "major stop" locations and will adversely impact the local buses trailing the expresses.

Since I have never ridden past Rockville Centre on the N4, the only extra stop I can confidently nominate is Central Avenue in Valley Stream (connects with N1, almost always has passengers waiting to board/alight at the stop all times of the day, near South Nassau Community Hospital and reasonable walking distance to nearby retail stores,).

N6X - I agree with Brett all the way here. Just bring back the damn N6 Limited and call it the "new and improved N6 Express." I promise nobody will roll their eyes on that one. It was one of the few things from the old regime that still worked very well to the end.

I would suggest having more N6X buses starting/terminating at HTC (perhaps as a slight majority) than N6X buses terminating/starting from NCC. Ideally, tweak the service proportion based on academic year and timing based on a fair margin before the majority of morning classes start and after the majority of afternoon/evening classes end.

N21 - Last month, I finally got a chance to go to Glen Cove on public transit. Damn, are visitors/residents there who rely on public transit screwed if they ever have to go there or leave during off-peak hours! (The LIRR won't  help much either, with once every other hour service!)

Perhaps off-peak only, the N21 can be re-routed to serve Greenvale and otherwise duplicate the N27 route going into Glen Cove (ideally so that there is an offset between the N21 service and N27 service). Yes, it will add some running time, but I figure it may be justified by picking up more passengers that way than going along  the scenic Sea Cliff, Glenwood Landing and Roslyn Harbor route.

From what I heard the n45 & 51 will serve all NCC stops like the n16 does which will BOOST ridership on those routes. The n45 gets a number of people going to Roosevelt and helps out the n43 along Uniondale Ave. I'm sure many NCC students like in communities along those routes but many drive, the idea is to get them on the bus instead. 

Eventually Uniondale Avenue will have 7 minute service at rush.

Yes, the n45/n51 will go through all of NCC. 

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Question is: are the n45 and n51 actually needed? Because if the main ridership is NCC students then they aren't really needed anymore.

I believe the n45 and n51 really are needed. We have people coming from all over, in, and out of Nassau (including Bellmore, Merrick, and the areas both routes cover heading to and fro NCC and Roosevelt Field), and it's that college where NICE can rack up plenty of revenue. In the current routing, only a part of NCC is covered. The revision allows these passengers to get on and off at more major points around the campus. The more the bus meanders around the campus, the more passengers and the more choices. For people whose lifelines are the n45 and n51, it may be one less transfer for them, too.

I rode the n51 today. Video coming soon. We had a total of 4 passengers including me.

I saw one at Roosevelt Field today... compared to the other buses it was pretty empty.. even for the first stop.

I was speaking to some passengers on the n6x the other day about the service changes. They all are upset about the Westminster Road stop being removed. A lot of them didn't know about the changes either, they said that NICE doesn't try to get community input. Seems many people get off at Westminster to walk to the n15/n31/n32 to avoid Hempstead altogether, including quite a few people from my neighborhood. Some suggested removing the Elmont Rd stop instead.

Last I remember going to Nassau before graduating, a lot of people I met were either from Queens or from some extreme end of the county that has no transportation services and they drove anyway.  The best NICE can do is expand on the options students already have.

For whatever reason (ask Hound, he might know the historical routings better) the N45 and N51 only go through the former AFB grounds and getting from one end of the campus to the other is already a 5-10 minute walk, on top of most professors holding students until the last minute.  Not only will the 45 and 51 expand service, it can also make it easier for students to get off campus.  The afternoon rush will always be a problem, until NICE either reroutes the buses that take the front exit or somehow that stupid traffic light is resynced.

From today's meeting. I didn't see LIBRU today.

Here are details

n4/4x:

New n4x Express during rush hour.

AM EB from 6:17 to 8:37- 10 trips every 10 min.

AM WB from 5:32 to 7:57- 10 trips every 15 minutes.

PM EB 16:35 to 18:40- 10 trips every 10 minutes.

PM WB 15:22 to 17:22 9 trip every 15 minutes

Weekday freq 20% increase.

Sat 20% increase

Sun 30% increase.

n6/6x:

New n6x extention to HTC-NCC and Hosfra.

New added Express stop Springfield Blvd.

Additional AM/PM X trips

Additional AM/PM local trips Weekdays, Weekend.

Little used Westminister Rd eliminated

Weekday improves to 8 min 18%

Sat improves to 10 min 12%

Sun improves to 12 min 12%.

n20/21

Additional n21 AM Rush Hour trip both EB/WB

n21 midday restored hourly service.

n21 additional PM to Glen Cove.

n22A:

Additional EB/WB both AM/PM Rush Hour

n24

Additional EB/WB trip both AM/PM Rush.

n43:

No longer travel from HTC and Roosevelt Field.

Additional AM/PM Rush Hour service from NCC.

n45/51: NCC Route structure in NCC

n54/55:

Additional midday service EB?WB improving from every 60 to 40 minutes.

n70/71/72:

EB Saturday trip that ends at Hempstead Turnpike/Stewart Av being extend to Rte. 110 in Farmingdale.

Last month, I finally got a chance to go to Glen Cove on public transit. Damn, are visitors/residents there who rely on public transit screwed if they ever have to go there or leave during off-peak hours! (The LIRR won't  help much either, with once every other hour service!)

Yeah Glen Cove is one of the worst places to live or visit in the county by public transit. It was already isolated by geography, but on weekends it's very difficult with the n27 running only as far as Roslyn. I really think the n27 needs to be restored to Roosevelt Field on weekends. I was at the Hicksville meeting and told them I'm dissapointed the n27 wasn't being restored to RF on weekends. They said they have allowed for more running time and have a bus on "standby" in case of a missed connection. I'm not sure how that will work, if they have to have an extra bus just sitting there why not just use it for the n27 to RF. All they need is 2 buses on the weekends running every hour. I told them the n23 is very crowded as a result of the n27 loads combining onto it particularly on Saturdays. I dont see midday off peak n21's getting that many riders, I actually think they'd get more on weekends. Maybe run it via Greenvale & Glen Cove Rd since most aren't going to those areas in Sea Cliff and Glenwood Landing. All I can say is Glen Cove is one of those places folks are exiled to. Very isolated. Of course if the LIRR has scoots every 30-45 min on the Oyster Bay branch this could help a great deal, this was reported in Newsday as well. Traffic is awful in and out of that area, with Glen Cove Rd the only main artery which results in 15-20 min backups daily in Greenvale. Something needs to be done for sure.

Yeah Glen Cove is one of the worst places to live or visit in the county by public transit. It was already isolated by geography, but on weekends it's very difficult with the n27 running only as far as Roslyn. I really think the n27 needs to be restored to Roosevelt Field on weekends. I was at the Hicksville meeting and told them I'm dissapointed the n27 wasn't being restored to RF on weekends. They said they have allowed for more running time and have a bus on "standby" in case of a missed connection. I'm not sure how that will work, if they have to have an extra bus just sitting there why not just use it for the n27 to RF. All they need is 2 buses on the weekends running every hour. I told them the n23 is very crowded as a result of the n27 loads combining onto it particularly on Saturdays. I dont see midday off peak n21's getting that many riders, I actually think they'd get more on weekends. Maybe run it via Greenvale & Glen Cove Rd since most aren't going to those areas in Sea Cliff and Glenwood Landing. All I can say is Glen Cove is one of those places folks are exiled to. Very isolated. Of course if the LIRR has scoots every 30-45 min on the Oyster Bay branch this could help a great deal, this was reported in Newsday as well. Traffic is awful in and out of that area, with Glen Cove Rd the only main artery which results in 15-20 min backups daily in Greenvale. Something needs to be done for sure.

Did you go to one of session?

LIBRU wasn't there at all after all when I got to campus.

I collect thousand of signature who are in flavor of restoring weekend n27 bus to/from RFM.

@Astoria Line: Yeah, of course they don't listen to community input. They only have those meetings on service changes and their Facebook page for marketing... [/sarcasm]

If those people aren't happy with the Westminster Rd stop being removed they should come to those meetings and speak up. It wouldn't be all that hard for NICE to keep it along with the new stop.

@Pinepower: Yeah, isolation is not really the problem. In Montauk you also live isolated far, far away from all the crowds and polltion and with only 5 LIRR trains a day but SCT does have normal bus service there Mon-Sun. The n27 could very well be restored to RFM.

@Yuki: Hand those signatures over to NICE on the next meeting.