NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, now my two cents:

n21 midday: That is like throwing money away, and it seems I have to repeat myself again. In 2011, I proposed that the n21 be cut entirely, but ridership on that route rose for some reason when NICE came into action, so I repealed my idea. Instead, I agreed with NICE that the n21 should be rush hours only because there was ridership in Glen Cove to Queens then. When that change was made, the existing n21's were turned into n20 trips to Roslyn. You have frequent n20 buses now all the time (if they show up) and thats good. NICE now wants to add even more buses, that will go to Glen Cove during the day, when nobody rides the bus past Roslyn. Those buses are empty and the only reason the  (MTA) kept them running was because there was profit in the route along Northern Blvd. Now, NICE is just adding more buses when they're really not needed and the real ridership is along the n20 that is already sufficed with existing runs.

The better idea here would have really been to extend the n27 to Roosevelt Field at all times. I feel there would have been more money in that.

Extra Rush Hour Service: From what I can read, they're adding additional n22 service to Garden City. I'm guessing that means more n22a's. That's good because the Roosevelt Field terminal is always packed for buses to Jamaica, but NICE really has to time these buses right so they come at the most needed time. Extra rush hour service on the N24 and N43, good idea, what else to say...

Extra N54/N55 service: Absolutely needed. Somehow I have a feeling NICE got that hint from us. I now have a good feeling they're looking at this forum because that's one suggestion I've been talking about since last April. Very good idea here, because those buses really are packed.

Extra Saturday N71 service: I really don't know since I haven't taken the N70/71/72 on the weekend, but those buses probably are busy, so it's probably a good idea.

I hope, that by saying extra service on these routes, that NICE doesn't mean adding one or two buses. That would really be useless.

N45 and N51 NCC stops: This is good because NICE knows that a good chunk of ridership comes from NCC and the more stops you make, the more riders you'll get. I don't understand why it took so long for this to change though.

N4x: Alright, here we go. I know a LIMITED was proposed for this route a couple of years ago and never happened. I think a LIMITED would be better than this stupid "express" crap that NICE is putting on the n6 and the n4. These buses should just stop at the major streets like the N6 LIMITED did. That LIMITED route was very successful. Although we'll see when/if the route debuts, I have moderate hopes for this.

N6x: Just bring back the freakin' LIMITED already and make people satisfied. If you're just gonna add one stop every few months to the route (and remove others), then just add them all and put the line back to when both the LIMITED and the locals were full. SRO expresses and locals that flag several stops does not solve the problems of bus ridership on Hempstead Tpke.

N6 to NCC: With the frequency of the n6, I think they should run it along streets that don't already have bus service because the N70/71/72 pretty much covers Hempstead Tpke east of Hempstead Terminal. It just doesn't drive into NCC, although people walk or take other routes. Its a good idea, but I think there should be different routing.

Eliminating Westminister Road from the n6 Express lineup tells me that NICE is doing something wrong.

I agree that restoring the n21 middays was foolish but they probably wanted to shut up the complainers. The real change should have been restoring the n27 to Roosevelt Field at all times, and I will be telling them that at the meetings next week. The n23 gets crush loaded on weekends with the extra riders its getting from PW and either needs half hourly service or the n27 being extended to RF (more logical). Perhaps they will listen and change some of these "proposed service additions" to n27 weekends to RF instead. But I think we know who to blame for this and which group was obsessed with bringing the n21 back. :lol:  Now because of that n27 weekend riders will continue to deal with missed connections and overcrowding on the n23 on weekends. But if they were so upset about it they sure aren't complaining. But it's bad from a ridership standpoint because the n27 to RF on weekends will carry, the midday n21's will not. I know the sat tracking system will probably solve the connection issue, but it sure as hell aint gonna help those jam packed n23s particularly on a Saturday.

Edited by PinePower

Well I was hoping to see a weekend n27 service restoration to RF, but I guess it just aint gonna happen. Probably not many complaints. I'd rather have seen that then a midday n21 restoration. But I guess the n21 riders have been more vocal. All the other changes look good. Alot of ppl travel between NCC and Queens the n6x extention will do well.

The problem with the N6 extension is it will get delayed by traffic within NCC, esp. when classes break. That will screw up the reliability from HTC.

The problem with the N6 extension is it will get delayed by traffic within NCC, esp. when classes break. That will screw up the reliability from HTC.

Back in the LIB days, some bus operators would keep going straight from the gates for a rarely-used exit from the parking lot... but that would mean the students  at Charles Lindbergh Boulevard (and I still question why the stop is there... is it a remnant from when the base's runways were still intact?) would be SOL.  I meant to ask NICE how they deal with the traffic at Nassau, especially after 1:00.

And the n4 Limited being non-stop from Freeport all the way to Baldwin is something else, that's at least a 10-15 minute savings alone.

Funny. I thought you would add to that sentence that the 10-15 minute savings are not worth it because of the bad OTP :D That's wat you'd usually say.

Ontopic: great service improvements! Way to go NICE!

Also, I think it's kinda funny, based on the comments so far in this thread, that Brett seems to be the only one who doesn't believe in the new n4x while everyone else so far does :P

Edited by Vistausss

n21 midday: That is like throwing money away, and it seems I have to repeat myself again. In 2011, I proposed that the n21 be cut entirely, but ridership on that route rose for some reason when NICE came into action, so I repealed my idea. Instead, I agreed with NICE that the n21 should be rush hours only because there was ridership in Glen Cove to Queens then. When that change was made, the existing n21's were turned into n20 trips to Roslyn. You have frequent n20 buses now all the time (if they show up) and thats good. NICE now wants to add even more buses, that will go to Glen Cove during the day, when nobody rides the bus past Roslyn. Those buses are empty and the only reason the (MTA) kept them running was because there was profit in the route along Northern Blvd. Now, NICE is just adding more buses when they're really not needed and the real ridership is along the n20 that is already sufficed with existing runs.

The better idea here would have really been to extend the n27 to Roosevelt Field at all times. I feel there would have been more money in that.

Extra Rush Hour Service: From what I can read, they're adding additional n22 service to Garden City. I'm guessing that means more n22a's. That's good because the Roosevelt Field terminal is always packed for buses to Jamaica, but NICE really has to time these buses right so they come at the most needed time. Extra rush hour service on the N24 and N43, good idea, what else to say...

Extra N54/N55 service: Absolutely needed. Somehow I have a feeling NICE got that hint from us. I now have a good feeling they're looking at this forum because that's one suggestion I've been talking about since last April. Very good idea here, because those buses really are packed.

Extra Saturday N71 service: I really don't know since I haven't taken the N70/71/72 on the weekend, but those buses probably are busy, so it's probably a good idea.

I hope, that by saying extra service on these routes, that NICE doesn't mean adding one or two buses. That would really be useless.

N45 and N51 NCC stops: This is good because NICE knows that a good chunk of ridership comes from NCC and the more stops you make, the more riders you'll get. I don't understand why it took so long for this to change though.

N4x: Alright, here we go. I know a LIMITED was proposed for this route a couple of years ago and never happened. I think a LIMITED would be better than this stupid "express" crap that NICE is putting on the n6 and the n4. These buses should just stop at the major streets like the N6 LIMITED did. That LIMITED route was very successful. Although we'll see when/if the route debuts, I have moderate hopes for this.

I agree that restoring the n21 middays was foolish but they probably wanted to shut up the complainers. The real change should have been restoring the n27 to Roosevelt Field at all times, and I will be telling them that at the meetings next week. The n23 gets crush loaded on weekends with the extra riders its getting from PW and either needs half hourly service or the n27 being extended to RF (more logical). Perhaps they will listen and change some of these "proposed service additions" to n27 weekends to RF instead. But I think we know who to blame for this and which group was obsessed with bringing the n21 back. :lol:  Now because of that n27 weekend riders will continue to deal with missed connections and overcrowding on the n23 on weekends. But if they were so upset about it they sure aren't complaining. But it's bad from a ridership standpoint because the n27 to RF on weekends will carry, the midday n21's will not. I know the sat tracking system will probably solve the connection issue, but it sure as hell aint gonna help those jam packed n23s particularly on a Saturday.

Speaking of n21 service, on July 13th, on my way to Coles Brother Circus Protest at Sunrise Mall, 15:25 n20 Hicksville show up and departed outside 20 minutes window at 15:44 and we didn't get to Glen Cove Rd until 16:39pm and former n21 riders missed 16:27 n27 Glen Cove connection and forced to wait an hour.

Rest of us and we got to Hicksville Station at 17:12, suppose to be there at 16:42. While I was on the bus, 15:45 n20 Roslyn had engine cover open and somebody, properly one car that was behind when out of his car and closed the engine cover.

About 25 people got off for n27 connection and they were very upset this B/O came in very late. There was no SINGLE TRAFFIC ANYWHERE. I almost gave up on n20 at 15:40, take Q44 to n22 bus, he came very late at 15:44.  Most Roslyn Buses are NEVER LATE, only Hicksville one that gets in late very often.

N6x: Just bring back the freakin' LIMITED already and make people satisfied. If you're just gonna add one stop every few months to the route (and remove others), then just add them all and put the line back to when both the LIMITED and the locals were full. SRO expresses and locals that flag several stops does not solve the problems of bus ridership on Hempstead Tpke.

N6 to NCC: With the frequency of the n6, I think they should run it along streets that don't already have bus service because the N70/71/72 pretty much covers Hempstead Tpke east of Hempstead Terminal. It just doesn't drive into NCC, although people walk or take other routes. Its a good idea, but I think there should be different routing.

Eliminating Westminister Road from the n6 Express lineup tells me that NICE is doing something wrong.

n21 midday: That is like throwing money away, and it seems I have to repeat myself again. In 2011, I proposed that the n21 be cut entirely, but ridership on that route rose for some reason when NICE came into action, so I repealed my idea. Instead, I agreed with NICE that the n21 should be rush hours only because there was ridership in Glen Cove to Queens then. When that change was made, the existing n21's were turned into n20 trips to Roslyn. You have frequent n20 buses now all the time (if they show up) and thats good. NICE now wants to add even more buses, that will go to Glen Cove during the day, when nobody rides the bus past Roslyn. Those buses are empty and the only reason the (MTA) kept them running was because there was profit in the route along Northern Blvd. Now, NICE is just adding more buses when they're really not needed and the real ridership is along the n20 that is already sufficed with existing runs.

Speaking of n21 service, on July 13th, on my way to Coles Brother Circus Protest at Sunrise Mall, 15:25 n20 Hicksville show up and departed outside 20 minutes window at 15:44 and we didn't get to Glen Cove Rd until 16:39pm and former n21 riders missed 16:27 n27 Glen Cove connection and forced to wait an hour.

Rest of us and we got to Hicksville Station at 17:12, suppose to be there at 16:42. While I was on the bus, 15:45 n20 Roslyn had engine cover open and somebody, properly one car that was behind when out of his car and closed the engine cover.

About 25 people got off for n27 connection and they were very upset this B/O came in very late. There was no SINGLE TRAFFIC ANYWHERE. I almost gave up on n20 at 15:40, take Q44 to n22 bus, he came very late at 15:44.  Most Roslyn Buses are NEVER LATE, only Hicksville one that gets in late very often.

I have been doing actual petition on n20, n21, n23, n27 and even former MTA LIB drivers signed petition to bring back full n21 and weekend n27 extend to/from RFM and well as bus stop at Roosevelt Field Mall.

My bus operator friend is properly doing petition also because I  gave him a copy when I met him on n20.

I heard from riders that many people are missing connection at Roslyn Station and Greenvale PATHMark/Well Fargo, which has no bus shelter and there is no places to take cover in heavy rain storm or blizard and most businesses wouldn't let you wait for bus in 1-hour in poor weather.

It is not really foolish to restore n21 midday service. Lots of senior NICE drivers (previously work for LIB) asking for (MTA) back.

Speaking off n4/n4x, I agree n4 has n4x express coming, but local passengers going to be confused.

I have taken n72 on weekend during Coles Brother Circus protest at Eistenhower Park and it was very busy.

I even took n72 on day of protest at Brookhil Park in Islip, taking S42 to n72 and it was very busy either day (I think Sat I took)

Edited by FamousNYLover

I'm basing my predictions off of how things went with the n6x. Everyone was saying it was good idea at first, but NICE had really only talked to the riders who took the n6 from Hempstead all the way to Jamaica. When the route got implemented, the buses were not running busy and the n6 locals were overcrowded and flagging people constantly. When NICE realized their mistake, they started adding stops to the n6 express, and every time they do that, its just one step closer to the LIMITED which they should have kept instead of this stop adding crap. With the n4x, yes its a new express route and there has never been anything other than a local on the n4, but I don't think there's enough stops along the route that classifies as the "bulk" of the ridership because there are a lot of major streets they're skipping. I think we may end up seeing the same thing, that NICE will add bus stops to this route every few months, and it will become more and more like a LIMITED.

Yuki, this off topic thing has to stop. This has nothing to with the service enhancements posted here. You should have posted that in the Random Thoughts Thread.

I already did post in RTT.

I say little off-topic and I think n4x will help out, but n4 local passengers might get confused at first week since n4 is mostly late except on weekends.

I wonder if they extend n6 local or n6x express to Hofra University. If they extend to Hofra University on n6 local, it is too long.

Service enhacement relates to n21, so it's not too foolish idea.

The N4x is really a limited, it is by no means a non-stop trip...

Depends. Maybe riders will like it this way.

If you don't like it, then why don't I hear you complain in the subway forum about express trains? Or the LIRR/MNRR forum about express trains? Some of 'em also skip important stops but most of 'em are SRO. And at least LIRR falls really into the comparison since it also serves Nassau.

All major stops? Depends on what LIMITED/SBS+ you're talking about. Some LIMITED/SBS+ lines actually get critized in the (MTA) bus section of the forum for skipping some important/major stops, just like you are critizing the n4x/n6x.

And yeah, with the LIRR I did made my point. It's essentially the same as the n4x as it depends on the day how busy they will be. Just wait and see.

I definitely like the n4x. It's long overdue!

That n4x was WAY overdue, NICE to see it finally happen though

Agreed...its is so long overdue. It doesn't make any sense for that route to be overcrowded like everyday or mostly everyday, buses bunch up like crazy and inconsistent runs!

You're joking right? NICE would be throwing more money away on fuel and driver pay by running the n21 all day than running the N6 LIMITED during rush hours.

I was actually taking about why they are running the n4 xpress instead of limited service

want to know why they aren't vocal simple they gave up on the N27 and started using the LIRR to mineola for N22& 24 buses why cause unlike the N27 the LIRR actually doesn't miss connections and meets buses.

A lot of N4 riders get on at the proposed "Limited" stops, anyway.  I'm pretty sure another stop somewhere in between Baldwin and Oceanside wouldn't hurt, though.

ohh well what can you do?

I'm excited about the n4X, less time in the slower right lane stopping often, more time in the left lane saving time!

I just hope NICE advertises the hell of it, posting stops on the bus and posting signs with this information at bus stops.  So idiots won't feel the need to get on the express bus, ring the bell to get off at a non express stop, and argue with the driver until they pull over, delaying everyone else.

Edited by Burrstone

Still people are really excited for the n4x. It must mean something, right? Or is it just foam because everyone wanted it for a long time? :D

@Mtatransit: It depends on how you look at it. Yes, it could be costly to have a bus stop more often. But on the other hand: if it really carries a lot of commuters then you will have a lot more revenue which may outweigh the fact that the extra stopping is more costly.

More information on the new services. My two cents is coming next:

We want to hear from you! Join us for our Public Information Sessions and

learn about Service Additions for Fall 2013

Nassau Inter-County Express is adding additional service starting September 1st, 2013. In order to best serve our customers, we will be holding community information sessions to discuss these proposed service additions and to gather feedback on these proposed service additions.

You can visit our team at one of the following Public Information Sessions to learn more about the increased service. Or let us know your thoughts right now by either calling us at 516-228-4000, or by clicking here to share online.

July 23rd  NICE Bus, 700 Commercial Avenue, Garden City, NY

2:00 to 9:00 PM. Take the n23 or n24

July 24th  VFW Post 3211, 320 S. Broadway, Hicksville, NY

2:00 to 9:00 PM. Take the n20, n22, n24, n48/49, n50,

n73/74, n78/79, n80/81

July 25th  Nassau Community College, One Education Drive

CCB Building, Floor 2, Garden City, NY

2:00 to 9:00 PM. Take the n16, n35, 43, n45, n51

All 3 of these community meetings will have ASL and Spanish Translators available on site.

Fall 2013 Proposed Service Additions

Additional service will start September 1st, 2013. These improvements would include new express routes and enhanced local service, with the goal of improving on time performance, and improving transfers. While the majority of these improvements would be reflected by adding additional trips to the timetables, a few routes would experience actual restructuring.

Service Increases By Route

The following routes have proposed increases in service: n4, n6, n20/21, n22,n24, n43, n54/55, and n71.

• The n21 service to Glen Cove would be restored mid day.
  • The n22 proposed additional rush hour service between Jamaica and Garden City.
  • The n24 proposed additional AM rush hour service.
  • The n43 proposed additional northbound AM service and southbound PM service from Nassau Community College.
  • The n54/55 proposed additional mid day service
  • The n71 proposed additional Saturday service. Trips would extend to 110 in Farmingdale.

n4 and n4Xpress

Improved Service on the n4 AND n4Xpress

NEW n4xpress service! A proposed n4Xpress would service all stops listed on the public timetable. You’ll experience quicker trips to and from Jamaica on this express service, and at the same time this Xpress would alleviate some overcrowding on the local. We are also proposing additional local service, increasing frequency. Local service improvements would also include increased service for Saturdays and Sundays.

View Proposed n4 and n4xpress Map as PDF

n6 and n6Xpress

Improved Service on the n6 AND n6Xpress

NEW n6X extension from Hempstead Transit Center to Nassau Community College! The n6X extension would make express stops at Hofstra University on Hempstead Turn Pike and all stops on the NCC campus. We also suggest eliminating the little used Xpress stop at Westminster Road and replacing it with the very heavily populated Springfield Boulevard location. A new express stop at Sprinfield Boulevard would help eliminate overcrowding at the City Line. Additionally, we suggest adding ADDITIONAL local service on the n6 for weekdays, Saturday and Sundays

View Proposed n6 and n6xpress Map as PDF

n45 and n51

Improved Service to NCC

Additional service for the Nassau Community College! NICE service to NCC is utilized by thousands of students and employees each day, and it's important to make getting there from multiple locations easier and quicker. We propose having the n45 and n51 routes currently serving NCC, make ALL stops in and around the campus. We would offer 6 different routes that serve Nassau Community College. These buses would make stops on campus approximately every 5 minutes during rush hour, and every 10 mintues mid day.

View Proposed NCC Route Map as PDF

n4/n4x: I agree with n4x express proposal.

n6/n6x: I agree with n6x but Westminister Rd should be kept b/c people who transfers to n15/n31/32 without going to HTC. It will be interesting n6x ride to NCC with Hofra University stop.

n21: It is quite busy even in Glen Cove section. I seen 30 people get on n21.

n22: I agree with additional service between Garden City and Jamaica because it's heavily used.

n24: I think there should be PM service restored from Reckson Building.

n43: Schedule I agreed with proposal.

n45/n51: It will be interesting loop without circular loop except by Parking Lot #5.

n54/n55: It is heavily used.

n70/n71/n72: Additing and extending to Rte. 110 in Farmingdale is great idea because it is heavily used n70/n71/n72 on Weekend also.

My take on the proposals and comments I've read:

n4/n4x - Lets understand that NICE is going to use the term Express over Limited for the one obvious reason, NICE=Nassau Inter-County EXPRESS.

The x route has stops at the major stops with transfers to North/South Routes except for the n1 for some reason. The question is, will it be bi-directional? or like the n22 Express which is one way during the morning rush and one way during the evening rush? Also, Merrick Blvd Sucks, it's definitely going to speed up trips not getting bogged down by stopping for passenger exchange and dealing with those traffic signals.

n6/n6x - Interesting, many people are going to NCC anyway, but the n6 is already somewhat unreliable, We'll see. They should have never removed the Springfield Blvd stop in the first place. They can remove Westminster Road however, If someone wants to transfer to the n15/n31/n32 they can get off at Hilton Ave and cross the Street. 

N21- It's probably to avoid the N20/N27 transfer nightmare.

N43 - This is an interesting route, before its introduction Uniondale Ave had crap N45 bus service, now they have the N43 which went to more (useful) locations ,now it goes to Hempstead during non summer months and look how the ridership has grown. Routing is important. Just because a route along a corridor doesn't get patronized doesn't mean there is no demand for service it could just be that the routes that serve the corridor are useless.

N45/51 - Like someone mentioned above, the more stops the merrier. 

N71 - How will this route go to Farmingdale? Will it go to 110 then down to Sunrise Mall? Or will it go to Sunrise Mall along its normal route, then run up Route 110 to Conklin St? Will SCT have an issue with this?

Yuki are you going? Who's recording these meetings?

My take on the proposals and comments I've read:

n4/n4x - Lets understand that NICE is going to use the term Express over Limited for the one obvious reason, NICE=Nassau Inter-County EXPRESS.

The x route has stops at the major stops with transfers to North/South Routes except for the n1 for some reason. The question is, will it be bi-directional? or like the n22 Express which is one way during the morning rush and one way during the evening rush? Also, Merrick Blvd Sucks, it's definitely going to speed up trips not getting bogged down by stopping for passenger exchange and dealing with those traffic signals.

n6/n6x - Interesting, many people are going to NCC anyway, but the n6 is already somewhat unreliable, We'll see. They should have never removed the Springfield Blvd stop in the first place. They can remove Westminster Road however, If someone wants to transfer to the n15/n31/n32 they can get off at Hilton Ave and cross the Street. 

N21- It's probably to avoid the N20/N27 transfer nightmare.

N43 - This is an interesting route, before its introduction Uniondale Ave had crap N45 bus service, now they have the N43 which went to more (useful) locations ,now it goes to Hempstead during non summer months and look how the ridership has grown. Routing is important. Just because a route along a corridor doesn't get patronized doesn't mean there is no demand for service it could just be that the routes that serve the corridor are useless.

N45/51 - Like someone mentioned above, the more stops the merrier. 

N71 - How will this route go to Farmingdale? Will it go to 110 then down to Sunrise Mall? Or will it go to Sunrise Mall along its normal route, then run up Route 110 to Conklin St? Will SCT have an issue with this?

Yuki are you going? Who's recording these meetings?

No I contacted NICE and they said that the n71 short turns currently ending at stewart av will be extended to 110

Since Newsday is only access by Craplevision customers, can someone repost the latest news like....

7-19: NICE eyes biggest bus improvements in years

www.newsday.com/long-island/nice-eyes-biggest-bus-improvements-in-years-1.5729688