Nassau Inter-County Express Bus Repaint/wrapped Roster

Very interesting.

Also very intersting.  Where is it being painted, how did you find this out?

Where are all the nice buses being painted?  At MF or did they contract a paint shop?

I would believe its at one of the two depots. 

The way MTA does it, they have Maintenance Facilities where buses go, also known as a CMF (Central Maintanance Facility) Grand Street Depot is a CMF. So thats where the buses get painted at. But I assume NICE does it in the depots. 

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting.

Also very intersting.  Where is it being painted, how did you find this out?

Where are all the nice buses being painted?  At MF or did they contract a paint shop?

They were being wrapped at Mitchel Field for sure, so I would guess painting would happen there too, but I'm not entirely sure they have the facilities for that.

I would believe its at one of the two depots. 

The way MTA does it, they have Maintenance Facilities where buses go, also known as a CMF (Central Maintanance Facility) Grand Street Depot is a CMF. So thats where the buses get painted at. But I assume NICE does it in the depots.

Not necessarily because the (MTA) facilities are different than what NICE was left with. Had the whole RBO merge really happened and had Long Island Bus really became part of the (MTA), their facilities would have been upgraded and most everything would happen there. However, that's not the case.

Edited by Brett

NICE does have a good working relationship with the MTA that has been stated by many people on this forum and has been reported on in news sources like Newsday around the time of the takeover.

I think PP is referring to the fact that many complain that the seats are uncormfortable on the 1700's, the cost would be huge to replace all of the seats on 90+ buses (the money could be better spent elsewhere).

Are you certain the bus seats from the retired MTA buses would fit in nice 1700 buses?

If that were true and Veolia was on such bad terms with the MTA why would that stop them from doing anything?  If tihs was a project Veolia wanted to do and the MTA wouldn't play ball why couldn't NICE buy seats from any fleet it manages that uses Orion buses?

I'm positive old MTA seats would fit in the NICE buses as they are all the American Seating 6468, which is what is used in the 1800's NICE operates. If anything all NICE should have to do is referbish them.

And the reason I brought up the MTA specifically was due to the surplus of old seats they've retained as well as the proximity to Nassau County.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw one of the NICE Coach & Equipment para buses we talked about (I don't remember where, I looked and looked but gave up) on Sunrise HWY today in the new scheme...  Actually it looked like a victem of livery experiment, I know I saw one that looked simular months ago in Garden CIty but passed by too quick but it looked unfinished.  I don't know if this was the same bus but it dodn't look unfinished just like it was patched together...  The thing had blue and orange strips, a large wheelchair/para logo near the service door, and on the back it had large strips on the left and right, one was blue, one was orange.  I really can't explain how strange and horrible it looked.  It looked like something a one guy operation starting a medical shuttle out of his garage would be rolling around in not something owned by the County and powered by one of the largest transportation company in the world.

Has anyone else seen this thing?

1700s peel is coming off, in the back BTW. Saw it on the n6 yesterday, couldnt take a shot because it was going in the opposite direction.

The wrap from all of the buses is peeling off because its not really good wrap and it wasn't put on so well. The painted buses look so much better!

By the way, as of yesterday, 1833 is still in Long Island Bus livery.

Are there problems with any other painted buses or is this isolated to panel on this bus?

Can't say really. It could be possible the paint is chipping or wearing off due to the weather, but that shouldn't be.

I'm wondering if there was damage to that panel of some sort, or pried open. What is behind that panel on the Orions?

If you're talking about the upper panel in that small picture, behind it is the emergency fuel shutoff valve. Say if the bus was on fire or something, you could turn it off with that switch. There have been stories in the news including some of New York City's buses where morons would just open the panel, flip the switch and run away for no reason at all.

Perfect example: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Vandals-halt-some-hybrid-buses-in-Hunters-Point-3223980.php

That's what I was thinking. Could NICE have been stupid enough to paint the panel shut leading a mechanic to have to pry it open?

Very possible, I didn't even think about that.

I'm familuar with the CNG cut off valve and the people shutting them off in traffic, that's why the newer MTA buses come with a "lock" although if I remember correctly its just an allen wrench on the C40LF the same "key" locks the engine compartment and compartment that you put coolant in.

Is the connection to fill up the CNG also behind that compartment?

I have heard horror stories of the CNG hose some how disconnecting during the fueling process (hose breaks, it wasn't properly connected) I have also seen CNG leak out during the fueing process, I wonder if this could've damaged new paint, or if te paint was new possible the CNG made the paint rubbery or expand causing the door to get stuck?