My tax dollars!

rr4567

Guest lance25

The agency needs to stop contracting to the absolute lowest bidder on these projects. Either that or make sure they know how to build something for the environment it's in and not just generalize it for optimal conditions. And that is and will continue to be a problem until it's rectified.

@Grand Concourse, whomever else it may concern: Sure the old loop station may have looked nice what with all the Heinz-LaFarge [sp?] tiles and the overall condition of the station, but it was quite impractical in terms of a transit perspective. Being able to platform only half of one train slows down the entire south Manhattan IRT 7th Avenue line. Even expanding the old station to ten-car length would not have helped matters in the slightest. You'd still only be able to platform one train at a time, hardly beneficial for one of the busiest lines in the system or one of the stations closest to the South Ferry Terminal. Factoring all the reroutes and what-nots into the new station we've seen as of late, it'd be a complete mess if they were still using the old loop. The connection to the BMT Broadway line as well as being an ADA accessible station in lower Manhattan doesn't hurt either.

It is quite a damn shame that this station is falling apart not even three years after it opened (fun fact: it'll be three on the 16th), but let's not paint the old station as one of the best things ever when in reality, it was nowhere near that. Hold the (MTA) accountable for being idiots and not making sure the new station was waterproofed (especially for one being damn near the southern tip of Manhattan). Don't say we should've left well enough alone when well enough wasn't even close to good enough.

On the contrary, other than being ADA accessible and allowing a full 10 car train to open up, a loop is 'just as fast as a 2-track terminal'. A train still has to slow down before the bumpers and has to wait outside the terminal to allow one of the tracks to clear. The loop simply allows the train to get in and get out as if it were any other station (just slower for it is curved and has the gap fillers). Even if you are in the last 5 cars, it's a long walk to get to the ferry and even at the front of the train, you exit outside the ferry building which is opened to the elements instead of directly under it like the old station.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying I love the old loop station, I just felt that with how shoddy the new station was built and for that much money wasted, the old loop being renovated with an elevator, added stairs and a connection to the (R), that would've been far cheaper than this station that doesn't look like it will last another '10 years' without some overhaul to fix the leaks. The problem was $400 mil was allowed for only this station and couldn't have been used to fix up the other LM stations.

Well South Ferry has one thing those other projects don't have to worry about: being built under landfill. Most of Battery Park is landfill as opposed to being solid ground. That said, they should've put in all precautions to make that station a waterproof as possible. As it is now, that station needs a major overhaul to seal up the leaks or it will be in the running for ugliest station on 'Chambers St' levels.

The (MTA) should sue the people that built this shoddy station. This job is as horrible as the shoddy jobs for the R44's and R46's, and you believed that (MTA) learned back then when that happened, but no it happened again this to time to a subway station.

347747310_7a76489f29.jpg

img_120845.jpg

img_120844.jpg

thats what you call shitty maintenance. I mean really? FIX THE MEZZ AT THE (1)(2)(3) PENN STATION DUDE AND TAKE OUT THAT WEIRD SMELL LIKE CANDY!!!!!:mad: how is this possible might as well call this thread: A look a (MTA)'s shitty maintenance.

and let me guess? the Mezz and platform were renovated a different dates. WHY?????????????????? the MEZZ is really crappy at least the ceiling.

Archived