MTA Chairman on Fare Hike: "It's Going to Happen" as he also discuss upgrades.

mark1447

The NY MTA told New York City Council’s Transportation Committee today that its proposed fare hike next year will bring in about $400 million, and none of it will likely be spent on service enhancements. The MTA plans a 7.5% increase in fares and tolls next year and again in 2015.

Transportation Committee Chairman James Vacca asked if a toll hike could be avoided, given the fragile economy, but MTA officials could see no way around it. MTA Director of Government Affairs Hilary Ring told committee members the increases would generate about $900 million in new revenue.

But the MTA’s increases in pension and healthcare costs are projected to be about $810 million. “So essentially the fare and toll increases, it is almost dollar for dollar being eaten up by our increases in pension and retiree healthcare costs,” said Ring.

Chairman Vacca said if gas prices keep rising, more people will want to ride the city’s vast network of subways and buses, but might not be able to afford the higher fare. “We just went through severe bus cuts, our trains are packed….the riding public has a right to ask,” said Vacca.

More....

Proposed NY MTA hikes won’t Pay for Service Upgrades | Transportation Nation

My thoughts: Maybe SOME things could get restored, but not all. Otherwise the (MTA) is gonna go back there where there were at, with having a gab in capital. This company needs to save. Even tho im against the fact we gotta get hit with another hike.

The people with cars shouldn't have to pay more, but the people who rely on public transit should? People like that really grind my gears.

Exactly like Keystone said, if I'm paying extra toll money to the MTA, I definitely 100% rather them use THAT money for the roadways.

As long as toll payers are not subsidizing public transit users, it would be okay.

They are, big time. In FY2011, MTA Bridges and Tunnels had revenue of $1,525,585,556 plus $199,856 in interest.

They spent $358,845,159 as operating expenses.

Another $639,282,222 went to various things like debt service and capital reserve.

$527,658,028, or 35% of revenues excluding interest, went to the transit and commuter rail operations of the MTA.

For comparison's sake, NYCTA (not including SIRTOA or MTA Bus) had FY2011 revenue of $4,808,500,000 and operating expenses of $7,197,100,000. The remaining $2.4 billion comes from taxes, fees, and that TBTA fund above.

It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. This problem will sort itself out in time. Worsening transit service will eventually selectively pressure for better funding for the MTA. The question is whether better funding will come first or disaster will have to show the government the right choice to make.

What's wrong with automated dispatch? BART has automated dispatch. Washington subway has one crew member though New York trains are longer.

Those were systems built with automated dispatch. CBTC and ATO is NYCT's closest example, but imagine implementing it on a line with merges?

More like what the (7) transfers to at Jackson Heights - Roosevelt Ave. - 74th St. - Broadway.

The (7) and <7> are technically different routes. Any software or hardware logic would have to take the switching and timing differences into account.

Good luck if they can overrule the Astoria community to get the (N) extended to LGA. I still think an Air Train built over the GCP would be the best way. Build it like the JFK AT and have the terminal over the Astoria Blvd stop.

Or even better the LGA is bulit at the Willets Points/Flushing Meadow-Citifield (7) stop. It could also connect to the LIRR as well. Then you could restucture or even elimante the (Q48). And most important make that Mets/US tennis open a year round stop.

I personally have no problem with the fare going up, but certainly the quality of the service should be improved. That means buses and trains being on time and being cleaner. They're ordering all of these new local buses but they're filthy beyond belief. Proper care and maintenance could extend the life of these buses. Same thing for the subways.

Kicking out all the bums in the subways and having all local buses having just the hard plastic seating (no velvet covers) would be ideal ways to keep them clean and not cost much.

Or even better the LGA is bulit at the Willets Points/Flushing Meadow-Citifield (7) stop. It could also connect to the LIRR as well. Then you could restucture or even elimante the (Q48). And most important make that Mets/US tennis open a year round stop.

If that's an MTA project, then maybe. But the point is a line closer to Manhattan. Why would someone want to go all the way to Willets Point to take it to LGA? That's why it should be Astoria. But I guess maybe there could be 2 branches to serve both parts of Queens and Willets pt as the other line.

Archived