Available Powertrain(s)

Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50G

Transmission(s): Allison World B400R

Top Speed: About 70MPH

Orion VII CNG

orion12qw3.jpg

Available Powertrain(s)

Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50G EGR

Transmission(s): Allison World B400R (7560-7684) or ZF Ecomat-2 HP592C (7685-7819)

Top Speed: 40MPH (65MPH when speed governer is messed up)

Which one of these low floor CNGs is your favorite? It is extremely hard for me to choose, but I will go for the Orion VII CNG, only because of it's fine looks and sound.

Orion you should get a 2X4 with nails driven through it, to your baby makers for picking the Orion VII CNG over the New Flyer C40LF.....:mad::mad::mad:. But then again that is your handle, my black brother, from a Dominican mother and father (I guess)........

I drove both, and the New Flyer would leave that Orion VII CNG POS in the dust. New Flyer takes off like a excellent diesel bus, and regardless of the actual specs, it is wider and longer than the Orion. The Orion heaves and hoes, when accelerating, and takes a year and a day to change it's gears. That simulated wood around the door panels of the Goo Flyer CNG are great. Only thing I didn't like about the New Flyer was the enormous steering wheel. The articulated buses steering wheels aren't even that big. That is why when I worked the Bx6, myself and my follower always swapped buses in Hunts Point if I had an Orion VII CNG (I had an hour and change break, and he always had an Orion V). MTA was retarded for not getting more New Flyer C40FL instead of Orion VII CNGs POSs.

Neither i rather walk or take a cab. :D

LOL.... What's so bad about the C40??

The only thing I don't like is how the older ones rattle a lot. Other than that, I think they are good buses. Like DOB stated, I too wonder why the TA didn't order more.

Orion you should get a 2X4 with nails driven through it, to your baby makers for picking the Orion VII CNG over the New Flyer C40LF.....:mad::mad::mad:. But then again that is your handle, my black brother, from a Dominican mother and father (I guess)........

I drove both, and the New Flyer would leave that Orion VII CNG POS in the dust. New Flyer takes off like a excellent diesel bus, and regardless of the actual specs, it is wider and longer than the Orion. The Orion heaves and hoes, when accelerating, and takes a year and a day to change it's gears. That simulated wood around the door panels of the Goo Flyer CNG are great. Only thing I didn't like about the New Flyer was the enormous steering wheel. The articulated buses steering wheels aren't even that big. That is why when I worked the Bx6, myself and my follower always swapped buses in Hunts Point if I had an Orion VII CNG (I had an hour and change break, and he always had an Orion V). MTA was retarded for not getting more New Flyer C40FL instead of Orion VII CNGs POSs.

All the Orion VII CNG needs is a good transmission, these do not fit the engine. BUT...the VIIs don't take THAT long to shift...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8unfW0G0mF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwMa1KiZjtE

Both was taken @ 92 degree weather, the acceleration isn't that bad... :D The ZF shifts almost like a Manual for some reason, and the Allison shifts too late for the engine, causing massive jerks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Ha1D5QmGI

(Camera didn't follow bus since cops was looking at me wrong, was not in the mood for confrontation.)

LOL.... What's so bad about the C40?? The only thing I don't like is how the older ones rattle a lot. Other than that, I think they are good buses. Like DOB stated, I too wonder why the TA didn't order more.

So do the Orion VII CNGs. Boom rattle rattle, but all buses do that on the streets of NYC......

All the Orion VII CNG needs is a good transmission, these do not fit the engine. BUT...the VIIs don't take THAT long to shift...

There is a noticeable difference between the shifting of the New Flyer CNGs, and the Orion VII CNGs. The New Flyers shift far more quickly and smoother than the Orion VII CNGs. They really don't compare. Trust me.........

LOL.... What's so bad about the C40??

The only thing I don't like is how the older ones rattle a lot. Other than that, I think they are good buses. Like DOB stated, I too wonder why the TA didn't order more.

I live near the B11 ,B68,B8,B23 and B9. I see those buses too much and their a bit bland in terms of looks. Two their low floor buses lots of wasted space. Three they replaced my beloved SE RTSs that JG had. I used to love riding RTSs on the B11 and B68. Now i will amit when the C40s were new i wished that i would get one on the B11 instead of an RTS. But now i wish the SE RTSs were still running. The only cool thing about them is that hissing noise they make.

Can I join that cab with you I can go half and half. And a good walk around City isn't bad either.

Lol!! Yea a good walk around the city isn't bad. its better than riding on an crappy low floor bus!!

So do the Orion VII CNGs. Boom rattle rattle, but all buses do that on the streets of NYC......

There is a noticeable difference between the shifting of the New Flyer CNGs, and the Orion VII CNGs. The New Flyers shift far more quickly and smoother than the Orion VII CNGs. They really don't compare. Trust me.........

7707 is a huge exception, the ZF transmission is messed up, so it shifts faster than C40s, and the speed governer is broke, I was talking to the driver of 7707 and he was talking about how fast this bus took off compared to the rest. :D:D This one shifted like an automatic but still will make you loose balance when being floored unlike any other (Hybrids don't count hahaha).
Can I join that cab with you I can go half and half. And a good walk around City isn't bad either.
Well when you are walking and (god forbid) you was getting jumped, I would be in a C40 giving you the finger... :)

That's a very peculiar discrepancy in the standardized dimensions, between the New Flyers, Orions, Classics, RTSs. Length isn't really an issue, but in terms of width it's weird how different each bus is. On a side note the Classic has about the same kind of room as (if not more than) the Artic.

I would have to chose the New Flyer C40 low floor. My godfather introduced me to them when I was a little kid. Ever since that first day, I have always like that bus. Even today my main reason for going to work, wit him is to ride that bus. Its like the workhorse of Jackie Gleason depot. Long live the NF C40LF. :D

I would have to chose the New Flyer C40 low floor. My godfather introduced me to them when I was a little kid. Ever since that first day, I have always like that bus. Even today my main reason for going to work, wit him is to ride that bus. Its like the workhorse of Jackie Gleason depot. Long live the NF C40LF. :(

Not to mention, the Orion V CNGs that JG own, those buses are workhorses as well.

heh, I normally call them the breakdown buses. LOL. Every bus have their day.
I never been on any Orion V CNG or Orion VII CNG (B400R type) that broke down on me, and only one ZF VII CNG did. I have been on 6 RTSs and 4 Orion Vs and (lost count) for the D60HFs.

Damn I look stupid making this poll I see... :eek: Thought that people liked the VII more than that.

NFC40 Hands Down the 07 are Trash on Wheels to bad MTA wasn't smart and only got a 190 of the Good Buses and over 500+ of the Trash.:cool:
Uhh there is only 260 Orion VII CNGs, no trash on wheels there... :(

Uhh there is only 260 Orion VII CNGs, no trash on wheels there... :P

1,010 Orion VII's all together. I too agree that they are not trash. But it is so interesting to me that the majority (arguably all) of the people who don't like them are not the people who drive them! Overall they are highly reliable. The only thing I, and most drivers don't like are the undersized tires. Other than that, the good outweighs the bad by a ton. If they are such trash, then the HEV version has no business being the #1 Hybrid in the country and Canada.

1,010 Orion VII's all together. I too agree that they are not trash. But it is so interesting to me that the majority (arguably all) of the people who don't like them are not the people who drive them! Overall they are highly reliable. The only thing I, and most drivers don't like are the undersized tires. Other than that, the good outweighs the bad by a ton. If they are such trash, then the HEV version has no business being the #1 Hybrid in the country and Canada.

Well thats funny because at the rodeo ive met serval drivers that didn't like those buses. They called them "tissue boxes" and those buses break down the most. Not to mention all the wasted space and and can't go fast up hill. And the low top speed of only 40 mph.

Archived