Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has NICE added any new annoucements to the clever system?

As far as I know, the 3Gs announcements have still not been set up. That "Stop Requested" thing may cause conflict with the other CD announcements, but I'm not sure.

As far as all the other buses and routes, NICE has started (since like April) enabling announcements for all stops like how it was with the (MTA) pre-2010. For new stops and routes, all I've seen is NICE taking bits of announcements from other stops and putting them together. I know on the n6x, the announcements say LIMITED, not express because they're using the old (MTA) programs. They're fiddling around with the announcements on the n20 too. Go to 5:07 in the video below and see that the door announcements don't say n20 anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeb-TJahXDs

Hmm couldn't they cut the sound file from the N6 Limited so it can say "Route N20 Limited"? Are there no announcements with "Expressway" in it that they could cut for the N6 and N22 Express?

They probably haven't figured that out yet. You know, from what I heard, there aren't that many guys in maintenance over there, and I doubt they're focused on the announcements as much as actually getting some buses to run.

I was at Roosevelt Field today, and I saw an n22a, an n22x and an n22 in a row, all headed to Jamaica and all with passengers, taking Ring Rd from the bus terminal east to Glen Cove Rd. This is the opposite direction they usually take leaving the mall and instead of going clockwise around the loop, these buses were going counter-clockwise. I just found this different from usual and I'm wondering if this is a permanent change.

Could it have anything to do with holiday traffic? Maybe they were routed to get out of the mall as short or as quickly as possible bc of the traffic?

That may be it, considering NICE was wayyy behind schedule on Dec 24th when traffic at the mall was insane. Maybe they learned their lesson. It's not like they were skipping any stops with this reroute anyway.

I was at Roosevelt Field today, and I saw an n22a, an n22x and an n22 in a row, all headed to Jamaica and all with passengers, taking Ring Rd from the bus terminal east to Glen Cove Rd. This is the opposite direction they usually take leaving the mall and instead of going clockwise around the loop, these buses were going counter-clockwise. I just found this different from usual and I'm wondering if this is a permanent change.

It was probably due to a traffic backup on Ring Road West at the left turn light onto that very short road before Old Country Rd (the light across from Bloomingdales Furniture). The timing is messed up causing a backup, so they sent the buses on the east side so they can just make that right instead of waiting at the left turn signal.

The timing has been changed to only allow one side at a time at the intersection of Ring Road and N.Gate, which has caused extra traffic delays on Ring Road W. I've complained to the mall and Nassau DOT about it, but nothing gets done. In the future, NICE should send all buses exiting RF via N.Gate to go via Ring Road E.

Hopefully it will be made permanent. Its bad enough the situation with Glen Cove Rd n/b onto Jericho West, where you have to wait through 3 cycles just to turn. The traffic lights here are ridiculous.

Try not to keep it in your cell phone/otherwise in physical contact with your phone. It tends to mess up the stripe. Also, try and fill it up with as much money as you can... you can only refill them at Hempstead, where the machines barely work, or at a subway station when they're all at least three miles away from the county border.

Edited by Joel Up Front

Try not to keep it in your cell phone/otherwise in physical contact with your phone. It tends to mess up the stripe. Also, try and fill it up with as much money as you can... you can only refill them at Hempstead, where the machines barely work, or at a subway station when they're all at least three miles away from the county border.

Yeah, Joel is right. I think that's how my first easypay metrocard got ruined. Now I always put it back in my wallet as soon as possible and its always in its own seperate pocket in the wallet.

So im trying to go out there to Long Island to record some rides out there on NICE buses. Also trying to get a recording on those Orion VII 3Gs.

Now, how do I ride the NICE buses. You know how MTA has metrocards, what does NICE use?

Don't lie to the kid nice only takes dollar bills so only bring lots of dollar bills. :D

Yeah, Joel is right. I think that's how my first easypay metrocard got ruined. Now I always put it back in my wallet as soon as possible and its always in its own seperate pocket in the wallet.

Not nessasry, I keep my metrocard in my wallet with other cards, but I make sure to stagger the black strips. If the last card has a strip to the left I'd put the metrocard strip to the right, I thought i was being paranoid doing that. :lol:

Also, try and fill it up with as much money as you can... you can only refill them at Hempstead, where the machines barely work, or at a subway station when they're all at least three miles away from the county border.

Can't you buy a metrocard at a lot of deli's and at the deli/coffee shop in the station? I know you can at Freeport. Also you can buy a metrocatd at the window at any open station. There are also stationslike Babylon where they have quarter machines for parking. ;) ...but maybe it's time the MTA offered metrocards in thier LIRR ticket machine (I mean the $4.50, $10, $20 card, not the ones they offer with a ticket).

So im trying to go out there to Long Island to record some rides out there on NICE buses. Also trying to get a recording on those Orion VII 3Gs.

Now, how do I ride the NICE buses. You know how MTA has metrocards, what does NICE use?

There is MetroCard Vending Machine, and well as MetroCard Merchants across Nassau-Suffolk Counties.

Don't lie to the kid nice only takes dollar bills so only bring lots of dollar bills. :D

Not nessasry, I keep my metrocard in my wallet with other cards, but I make sure to stagger the black strips. If the last card has a strip to the left I'd put the metrocard strip to the right, I thought i was being paranoid doing that. :lol:

Can't you buy a metrocard at a lot of deli's and at the deli/coffee shop in the station? I know you can at Freeport. Also you can buy a metrocatd at the window at any open station. There are also stationslike Babylon where they have quarter machines for parking. ;) ...but maybe it's time the MTA offered metrocards in thier LIRR ticket machine (I mean the $4.50, $10, $20 card, not the ones they offer with a ticket).

I know Nassau's bookstore sells MCs from the $4.50 one to the monthly but I've never seen neighborhood establishments sell MCs. The MCs the LIRR machines offer get read errors all the time... I maybe had one once a week with a plastic one from the city.

I only buy the MC at the station rarely, only when I forgot I have no money on my MC it's quicker to buy one at the window of the train station than to stand in line at the metrocard machine at penn station. Usually I just make sure I have enough money on my card when I swipe it at the subway when I'm leaving the city, if I don't have at least the minimum 1 fare I'll refill it penn before getting on the train.

That works fine bcI go to the city, but when I had an internship in Nassau I had to stop at the train station once a week (and I didn't even take the train) to buy a MC. What a PIA that was!

It's too bad that speed can't make up for the bus having to wait a minute just to merge back into traffic and traffic lights timed by idiots.

The light syncing in the county really is terrible. Thats the reason so many buses are late and run off schedule so often!

Took #1604 on the N22 to Roosevelt Field today. It hauled ass from 165th Street Terminal to the mall. #1604 is also the first LI Orion V CNG I took. #1779 also went very fast on the way back, about one hour from the mall to 179th Street.

Did you try the Express?

It's too bad that speed can't make up for the bus having to wait a minute just to merge back into traffic and traffic lights timed by idiots.

I think the N24 has it the worst

The light syncing in the county really is terrible. Thats the reason so many buses are late and run off schedule so often!

The sad thing is that it may be intentional. Many jurisdictions call it "traffic calming'