Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you realize how you sound sometimes? You come off pretty closeminded and prejudiced. If only "poor people" ride NICE, then why do you ride NICE? I'm not poor, but I ride NICE because LIRR gives me shitty service and a car isn't feasible, especially going to college in Manhattan as of August.

I'm glad someone else notices it, he does it all the time and it's annoying. The reason why they should provide more bus service to an area is because demand is increasing, or there is overcrowding and pass-ups, not because "there are a lot of poor people without cars". He has an articulation problem.

Even when he goes to meetings, instead of voicing the issues with bus service, or why service needs to be improved in a civilized manner, he yells "you treat us like second class citizens, you don't care about us lowly bus riders, there are a lot of super duper poor people that need the bus, they can't afford cars and they need the bus to get to social services, and there are tons of illegals that need to get to their job for the day, who else is going to cut your lawns in the summer? and the rest are super ghetto gang members that tag the buses and low life clientele that beat up on bus drivers and don't call the police if they're not the perp".  Great way to paint an image and make them want to improve funding and service  :rolleyes: .

I'm glad someone else notices it, he does it all the time and it's annoying. The reason why they should provide more bus service to an area is because demand is increasing, or there is overcrowding and pass-ups, not because "there are a lot of poor people without cars". He has an articulation problem.

Even when he goes to meetings, instead of voicing the issues with bus service, or why service needs to be improved in a civilized manner, he yells "you treat us like second class citizens, you don't care about us lowly bus riders, there are a lot of super duper poor people that need the bus, they can't afford cars and they need the bus to get to social services, and there are tons of illegals that need to get to their job for the day, who else is going to cut your lawns in the summer? and the rest are super ghetto gang members that tag the buses and low life clientele that beat up on bus drivers and don't call the police if they're not the perp".  Great way to paint an image and make them want to improve funding and service  :rolleyes: .

That point in bold hits the nail on the head.

I have no problem with him making an opinion or whatever, that's fine, but don't sound ignorant either. He holds the stigmatized views of public transit for Nassau County but uses the buses himself, which sounds kind of hypocritical.

That point in bold hits the nail on the head.

I have no problem with him making an opinion or whatever, that's fine, but don't sound ignorant either. He holds the stigmatized views of public transit for Nassau County but uses the buses himself, which sounds kind of hypocritical.

I've been trying to make the point that mainstream riders are leaving the system, leaving only those with no choice,etc. Routes that serve poor areas do get more crowded because less people own cars, that's a fact. Basically a vicious cycle has started that's driving away mainstream riders, and if NICE doesn't address this the damage will only get worse. That is backed up by the ridership numbers that have all the other systems around us increasing ridership, while we're losing, all points I brought up.

Just a case in point with the n22L, when it was eliminated some commuter folks who did use it to the subway, as it saved at least 15 min, are now using the LIRR again at those times (myself included). NICE didn't even replace those n22L runs east of RF, so the buses are more crowded and as a result, run late even more. It's worth the higher price of the LIRR ticket to avoid putting up with that.

Basically NICE is driving away commuters with their changes, many of these folks may have cars or someone who can drive them, or an LIRR station. And what you're left with, doesn't really care how bad the service is (judging by the poor turnout of the meeting).

No matter how good (or bad) I made these points, the printed facts (ridership stats from TSTC), which I shared with the BTC, show something is clearly wrong with the ridership patterns at NICE. It is moving "more toward" a welfare system. When you cut service in busy areas and force choice riders off, they're most likely gone for good.

Edited by PinePower

Obviously the truth hurts.

I've been trying to make the point that mainstream riders are leaving the system, leaving only those with no choice,etc. Routes that serve poor areas do get more crowded because less people own cars, that's a fact. Basically a vicious cycle has started that's driving away mainstream riders, and if NICE doesn't address this the damage will only get worse. That is backed up by the ridership numbers that have all the other systems around us increasing ridership, while we're losing, all points I brought up.

Just a case in point with the n22L, when it was eliminated some commuter folks who did use it to the subway, as it saved at least 15 min, are now using the LIRR again at those times (myself included). NICE didn't even replace those n22L runs east of RF, so the buses are more crowded and as a result, run late even more. It's worth the higher price of the LIRR ticket to avoid putting up with that.

Basically NICE is driving away commuters with their changes, many of these folks may have cars or someone who can drive them, or an LIRR station. And what you're left with, doesn't really care how bad the service is (judging by the poor turnout of the meeting).

No matter how good (or bad) I made these points, the printed facts (ridership stats from TSTC), which I shared with the BTC, show something is clearly wrong with the ridership patterns at NICE. It is moving "more toward" a welfare system. When you cut service in busy areas and force choice riders off, they're most likely gone for good.

err LIRR service out there is worse dude. As if MTA wants you to take the N22 from mineola or hicksville to avoid stopping at Westbury and Carle place. Either way your stuck with NICE. LIB/ NICE was always a welfare system period.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Do you realize how you sound sometimes?

You come off pretty closeminded and prejudiced. If only "poor people" ride NICE, then why do you ride NICE?

First part, has been came to light about him in this community (it's even why he took a hiatus off the forums & off YT, since trolls were getting after him about his prejudiced comments - You should have seen the videos where he would constantly equate illegals to hispanics, and how they done "invaded" (his words) his town)..... He's toned down on it a lot, but as you can see, it spurts out every so often.... But yeah, He wants the county to go back to the private, empty [main] roads, lily white (for the most part) suburbia it once was.... That's all it is.... What he doesn't understand is that the same "poor people" is why the n22 had (under LIB) / still has (under NICE) even gets the level of service it does now east of RFM.....

Second part, you're giving him too much credit.... Waaaaay too much credit...

He's not the upper 5/lower 6 figure income, car driving, house owning, family having man that happens to live in Nassau county..... The man hates SUV drivers, soccer moms, & envies the rich for crying out loud... Lol.....

He shouldn't have said "only" poor people ride the buses.....

I could have told you that months ago I already suggested an N35 extension years before. Yeah exactly just leave Nassau there are better places to live try the boom towns and get that money. I will say it again Nassau is lifeless.

Boom towns? This guy? Yeah right, not on the public dole, he won't !

Again, Nassau is not lifeless.... You still haven't explain how can a lifeless county be undergoing rapid development - The very development/urbanization Pinepower is against.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Kudos to you for giving up on NICE like thousands of riders already have. Veolia is taking the system to a new low because of Nassau County and ridership is depleting so fast. Soon you'll be enjoying the comfort of city transportation!

Hahaha. I found these funny!

What the hell are you talking about? You think the problem lies with every route in the system so you could have some BS reason to give them a "radical" makeover and really screw the system over.

Any information you have on new routes or changes NICE is thinking of, please continue to post them here!

And the LIB/LIRR system had worked hand in hard perfectly for years, so stop trying to majorly change NICE's routes when they're very similar to how they were under LIB. Your proposals are making you look like a fool when you know Long Island Bus worked well with the LIRR.

NICE cutting the n22L did cut back service on the n22 in general. What's interesting is that's the first new change NICE made when they took power and then they got rid of it.

Also, the newest data for NICE in 2013 from the National Transit Database should be coming out soon. That includes new ridership numbers, and data about funds and basically, the whole system in general.

Well, the n22 is getting less service now with the elimination of those n22L runs, but yes, you're correct.

You have not even seen my full proposal so you can't call me a fool without proof.

First part, has been came to light about him in this community (it's even why he took a hiatus off the forums & off YT, since trolls were getting after him about his prejudiced comments - You should have seen the videos where he would constantly equate illegals to hispanics, and how they done "invaded" (his words) his town)..... He's toned down on it a lot, but as you can see, it spurts out every so often.... But yeah, He wants the county to go back to the private, empty [main] roads, lily white (for the most part) suburbia it once was.... That's all it is.... What he doesn't understand is that the same "poor people" is why the n22 had (under LIB) / still has (under NICE) even gets the level of service it does now east of RFM.....

Second part, you're giving him too much credit.... Waaaaay too much credit...

He's not the upper 5/lower 6 figure income, car driving, house owning, family having man that happens to live in Nassau county..... The man hates SUV drivers, soccer moms, & envies the rich for crying out loud... Lol.....

He shouldn't have said "only" poor people ride the buses.....

Boom towns? This guy? Yeah right, not on the public dole, he won't !

Again, Nassau is not lifeless.... You still haven't explain how can a lifeless county be undergoing rapid development - The very development/urbanization Pinepower is against.....

I guess you're right in that regard. I don't think people here are able to change which is why I post less here. And no longer take some seriously

You have not even seen my full proposal so you can't call me a fool without proof.

Have you ever posted a map with any of your proposals? You can't say that you can't show us your proposals because you're tweaking them constantly, and then say that no one can criticize you because "they haven't seen your full proposal." <_<

You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?

I see working adults and students mostly when I'm on the bus, as well as home owning and vehicle owning neighbors. But I guess it depends on which routes and times one rides.

Same as me. I don't see derliects when I ride the bus, and I ride the N6/X which is apparently "the most dangerous route in the country" according to some  :rolleyes:

Have you had your eyes checked lately?

His eyesight is probably fine. The ridership profile changes depending on the time of day.

Speaking with some of my past elderly neighbors (many lived and worked in NYC during the 70's and early 80's), they said riding through some of the rougher neighborhoods on the subway was just fine during traditional rush hours. Just don't get caught dead getting off at those stops or riding in the non-rush, off-peak hours.

I had one of those farebox issues yesterday,I should have noted the bus number. I got on the n6 and the farebox said my metrocard was invalid.  :huh:. It's an unlimited card. Worked fine today.

BTW NICE will not see any additional funding besides the one proposed in the Governor's budget. So now the ball is in Nassau's court, otherwise there will be more service cuts this summer. 

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/advocates-decry-mta-s-loss-of-30m-in-state-budget-1.7575927?&p=413452

Tsk Tsk Tsk

Hey...looking at the NICE schedule page...looks like they got rid of the n81!

http://nicebus.com/Maps-Schedules/Bus-Maps-and-Schedules.aspx

LOL they slipped that in, but since no one uses it no one noticed. :P 

But seriously, the PDF still has the N81 on it: http://www.nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/NiceBus-Schedules/NiceBus-SchedulesApp/NICE-n80_MapSchedule.pdf however, all other references on the site to the N81's existence is gone, except for the PDF of the interlines/blocks. So maybe they'll leave it off the site, so that ridership drops to negative numbers, then they'll eliminate it in the summer and no one would notice.  :P

The N80/81 icons on the main schedule page should be next to each other since the schedules have merged. It is probably just a glitch in the website, not necessarily a mistake on NICE's part.

I looked at the source code. the N81 is there, but when you click on the hyperlink (in the source code) the routing doesn't show up.

Starting this summer, the n40 is going to be rerouted through County Seat Drive during middays due to the n15 not running there.

Interesting. N40/41 has a lot of service but it seems like it's somewhat light between Mineola and Hempstead. So this would be a good way to provide coverage