Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Maybe your record player is broken.

This. Just because someone who commutes via NICE 5 days a week, does not mean that they can afford to transition to the LIRR. Not everyone's commute begins/ends at a railroad station. Not everyone has a car or lives within walking distance of a station to make a commute via LIRR even remotely possible. Not everyone who rides NICE rides from RR station to transit hub. The LIRR is not convenient for 100% of everyone who rides NICE. You seem to forget that every single time you make mention of taking the LIRR over NICE.

By the way, having something to use at one's discretion does not mean that they have to use it.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure that the Belmont Stakes destroyed the N6 today (yesterday). Hempstead Turnpike was jammed all day

Not just the n6, the Q2 and Q110 were also no shows because of the Belmont Stakes. Lots of people were stranded at Hillside Avenue, waiting for the n6 to come an take them home. Some folks gave up and started walking or contacting relatives to pick them up. I just took the n24 to Mineola, and the n40 to get to the transit center. I wonder if things would've been different if the n6 was rerouted off the Hempstead Turnpike, to Jericho Turnpike during the Belmont Stakes.

The Belmont Stakes did not destroy the n6. From what I know, there were road closures for cars, but buses were being allowed through, so even though the n6 sat in bumper to bumper traffic, they sure got their moneys worth for running the few buses they run anyway. I'm sure the "extra" service on the n6 they promised died out in the heat.

So many breakdowns I tell ya! Generally everyday that I take NICE there is a problem. Either the alarm going off, no a/c, or no bus altogether. 1844 today felt like it was gonna stall out and the CNG leak alarm was going off. Nassau's buses have never looked this bad.

Thursday I got stuck in Glen Cove, no n27 at 5:30pm, just said screw it & took the train at 6:08pm. While I was waiting I saw no less than 3 OOS buses deadheading back to garage, not filling the missing run. On Friday I heard 3 buses call in over the radio with breakdowns while I was riding the n45 back from Bellmore. Today I heard 2 buses call in with malfunctioning w/c lifts. And the reason why the radios are open was there was a burst hot water pipe which destroyed the NICE command center at Mitchell Field. And both bus washes are broken! Just another example of how bad things are, one n45 bus broke down a couple of weeks ago, missed the 3:35pm from Bellmore, 4:35pm from RF, and 5:35pm from Bellmore. And yes that was the last bus, curtailed! I wonder just how much longer this operation can function...it really should be shut down, and the MTA needs to take control. The state should control the whole operation and send Mangano the bill.

Edited by PinePower

The Belmont Stakes did not destroy the n6. From what I know, there were road closures for cars, but buses were being allowed through, so even though the n6 sat in bumper to bumper traffic, they sure got their moneys worth for running the few buses they run anyway. I'm sure the "extra" service on the n6 they promised died out in the heat.

They sat in bumper to bumper traffic which screwed up the whole line.

So many breakdowns I tell ya! Generally everyday that I take NICE there is a problem. Either the alarm going off, no a/c, or no bus altogether. 1844 today felt like it was gonna stall out and the CNG leak alarm was going off. Nassau's buses have never looked this bad.

Thursday I got stuck in Glen Cove, no n27 at 5:30pm, just said screw it & took the train at 6:08pm. While I was waiting I saw no less than 3 OOS buses deadheading back to garage, not filling the missing run. On Friday I heard 3 buses call in over the radio with breakdowns while I was riding the n45 back from Bellmore. Today I heard 2 buses call in with malfunctioning w/c lifts. And the reason why the radios are open was there was a burst hot water pipe which destroyed the NICE command center at Mitchell Field. And both bus washes are broken! Just another example of how bad things are, one n45 bus broke down a couple of weeks ago, missed the 3:35pm from Bellmore, 4:35pm from RF, and 5:35pm from Bellmore. And yes that was the last bus, curtailed! I wonder just how much longer this operation can function...it really should be shut down, and the MTA needs to take control. The state should control the whole operation and send Mangano the bill.

There was a broken down N6 on 165th street last night and a LOONG line, someone said the previous bus was so full it didn't pick up at 168th street. I took the Q2 and called it a day.

They sat in bumper to bumper traffic which screwed up the whole line.

There was a broken down N6 on 165th street last night and a LOONG line, someone said the previous bus was so full it didn't pick up at 168th street. I took the Q2 and called it a day.

Compared to the n6, how fast is the Q2 between Hillside and Belmont Park?

Hmm how many times did you say it? 200 or 400 or more I lost count.

Well he's right, they do suck. You can thank Ed Mangano and the Nassau GOP! I'm so fed up I wrote the governor, by snail mail, about the issues here. Alot of riders & employees voted for Cuomo thinking he'd intervene and stop Mangano, but instead he just stood with Ed Mangano while he screwed us all over. If he doesn't intervene he aint getting my vote again! What kind of Governor that calls himself a Democrat sits by while a Republican County Executive privatizes a bus system? And then winds up funding it? The taxpayers of NYS still foot the bill for Nassau buses, but this time, they're getting crappy service all while D'amato & company count the dough. With MTA we knew it was going toward GOOD SERVICE! I think Cuomo is in on the whole thing, if so, I hope he loses in November! 

Well he's right, they do suck. You can thank Ed Mangano and the Nassau GOP! I'm so fed up I wrote the governor, by snail mail, about the issues here. Alot of riders & employees voted for Cuomo thinking he'd intervene and stop Mangano, but instead he just stood with Ed Mangano while he screwed us all over. If he doesn't intervene he aint getting my vote again! What kind of Governor that calls himself a Democrat sits by while a Republican County Executive privatizes a bus system? And then winds up funding it? The taxpayers of NYS still foot the bill for Nassau buses, but this time, they're getting crappy service all while D'amato & company count the dough. With MTA we knew it was going toward GOOD SERVICE! I think Cuomo is in on the whole thing, if so, I hope he loses in November! 

boo hoo cry me a river. If you hate LI so much leave. By good service you mean useless shortturns that go nowhere on N16&31& 20? Hmm what else indirect service that makes many have to use 3 buses and a system that caters to a small minority of residents is efficient to you? On what planet? and your surprised nobody gives a damn about the system and voted in a guy like mangano? I do remember the MTA good times I am sorry that's the LSD talking. On a serious note mangano is a 2 edged blade he made the system more efficient sadly at the expense of reliability and maintenance however what we needed was a government that cared about the bus system and at the same time required more service per dollar. All these problems are due to underfunding of NICE not NICE itself NICE didn't know better and had no idea what they were getting into now they are learning the HARD WAY.

boo hoo cry me a river. If you hate LI so much leave. By good service you mean useless shortturns that go nowhere on N16&31& 20? Hmm what else indirect service that makes many have to use 3 buses and a system that caters to a small minority of residents is efficient to you? On what planet? and your surprised nobody gives a damn about the system and voted in a guy like mangano? I do remember the MTA good times I am sorry that's the LSD talking. On a serious note mangano is a 2 edged blade he made the system more efficient sadly at the expense of reliability and maintenance however what we needed was a government that cared about the bus system and at the same time required more service per dollar. All these problems are due to underfunding of NICE not NICE itself NICE didn't know better and had no idea what they were getting into now they are learning the HARD WAY.

Well Westchester gets it more than Nassau, thats why they have more walkable communities & young people moving in, instead of leaving. But Mangano doesn't want to put the money into that, hence the aging, decaying suburb known as Nassau...

Some of bus driver friend told me best Veolia NICE/ex-LIB driver Cindy Tropeano who was running for TWU Local 252 Vice President lost and she got fired/retired. TWU Local 252 members are new blood like Veolia NICE.

Edited by FamousNYLover

NICE sucks big time.

Hmm how many times did you say it? 200 or 400 or more I lost count.

He has nothing else to do since NICE fired him...

boo hoo cry me a river. If you hate LI so much leave. 

Seriously.

Well Westchester gets it more than Nassau, thats why they have more walkable communities & young people moving in, instead of leaving. But Mangano doesn't want to put the money into that, hence the aging, decaying suburb known as Nassau...

Let's all pitch in and buy Pine a one way ticket to westchester!  People are leaving Long Island because it is expensive not because of NICE or Westchester having more walkable communities.  These people have cars but are still leaving...

He has nothing else to do since NICE fired him...

Seriously.

Let's all pitch in and buy Pine a one way ticket to westchester!  People are leaving Long Island because it is expensive not because of NICE or Westchester having more walkable communities.  These people have cars but are still leaving...

No dice, no pine barrens in Westchester.  :P

NYC is expensive too, but young people are still moving there, not leaving. Long Island's Brain Drain is due in part to poor public transit & lack of walkable communities. Even Mangano himself brought that up, but he doesn't put his money where his mouth is.

NYC is expensive too, but young people are still moving there, not leaving. Long Island's Brain Drain is due in part to poor public transit & lack of walkable communities. Even Mangano himself brought that up, but he doesn't put his money where his mouth is.

Nassau County is becoming more urban, not decaying.

and what are you going to do about it?

So you want to hear something funny? So I was on the n35 and I hear 1651 call in over the radio saying "I'm trying to get back to the depot, bus keeps stalling out, especially when I push it harder". Then about a minute later my n35, 1605, stalls out after pulling away from a stop. The alarm sounded, fortunately the driver restarted it, had to shut the a/c off because the bus was overheating! I wonder if there's going to be any bus service once temps hit 90? You can't make this stuff up! NICE is so bad it's making the former Green Lines look more reliable! :lol:

So you want to hear something funny? So I was on the n35 and I hear 1651 call in over the radio saying "I'm trying to get back to the depot, bus keeps stalling out, especially when I push it harder". Then about a minute later my n35, 1605, stalls out after pulling away from a stop. The alarm sounded, fortunately the driver restarted it, had to shut the a/c off because the bus was overheating! I wonder if there's going to be any bus service once temps hit 90? You can't make this stuff up! NICE is so bad it's making the former Green Lines look more reliable! :lol:

It ain't dutchess LOOP bad or as bad as NJT central division. It's really hard to be THAT BAD even NICE has a hard time being shittier. Get a life dude.

The n87 via Freeport doesn't add any additional service, in fact, it REPLACES n88 trips. Very bad idea.

http://nicebus.com/Maps-Schedules/Jones-Beach-Summer-Service.aspx

What else did you think? It's just another way for NICE to save $$! Of course extending the n73/n74 would make more sense, but NICE will just manage to piss off what few riders the n87 had, since they're not gonna wanna have a longer ride to pick up the rowdy trash that boards at Freeport. Just another poor idea to save $$ by NICE that will backfire in their face. With not even 10 minutes of running time between Wantagh & Freeport, expect lots of late buses. And thats if they don't breakdown. I guess if I want to get to Jones Beach now without agrivation I better get familiar with that Wantagh pkwy bike path!

With the notable fact that everyone has lives to live, jobs to go to and such. We can't always be around 24/7 to check things out. But I do understand what you're saying.

Then I think the staff on here should be re-evaluated. Those who aren't active enough to help out should either retire or relinquish some responsiblities, and those who can donate more time to the site and are willing to help out should be recruited. I've been thinking about inviting some people to this site or advertising it a bit, but what would be an 8,000 member discussion board just isn't there for it to be worth their time when there are forums with less people, but more active discussions. You just had to suspend two people for something that was slowly going on for what looks like weeks if you follow back, and that's probably turned a lot of people off from posting here. Too much drama, and nobody has control over it. Take it from someone who has been an administrator and a moderator on several sites, the staff needs a revamp. I'm going to shoot a message over to the adminstrators of this site (I assume one is the owner) and see what they say.