Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Not as long as the county refuses to fund it's bus system. The (MTA) wouldn't send buses out without proper maintanance, but Veolia will, thats WHY Veolia is cheaper than the (MTA). Its stuff like this which is causing ridership to decline. And wait, it's not even summer yet! A friend of mine just said he saw 1764 broke down in Great Neck tonight too. It's a miracle they pass inspection. I'm sure riders are getting fed up with the n20/21, and are discovering the LIRR goes to Great Neck. I think NICE's crappy service has contributed in part to almost record ridership gains on the LIRR!

Revisionist history. The LIB had a lot of OrionV breakdowns. I'd see them on the side of the road or getting towed (Especially in the Summer). I've been on several buses that stalled while in service, most times the B/O was able to get it running again. One time I was on a Jamaica bound N6 that broke down Francis Lewis Blvd, and a virtually empty Q77 picked us up and took us the rest of the way full.

Not to mention that most of the buses that were being inspected for transfer to NICE were failing inspection. Who knows what really happens since the MTA does their own inspections, (or at least they're supposed to).

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know for a fact they run out of buses every day twice a day.Once around 730 am and again around 330 pm.As drivers pull in they send the bus right back out on a new shift.They also call int the shop and ask for buses.The shop spits out what they need and they usually break down within the hour.

Revisionist history. The LIB had a lot of OrionV breakdowns. I'd see them on the side of the road or getting towed (Especially in the Summer). I've been on several buses that stalled while in service, most times the B/O was able to get it running again. One time I was on a Jamaica bound N6 that broke down Francis Lewis Blvd, and a virtually empty Q77 picked us up and took us the rest of the way full.

Not to mention that most of the buses that were being inspected for transfer to NICE were failing inspection. Who knows what really happens since the MTA does their own inspections, (or at least they're supposed to).

Yes, its true, there were loads of breakdowns, until MTA took over management of LI Bus. Once they took over, the breakdowns were more of a rare occurence. As far as them not passing inspection, I think once Mangano came up with his plan, the MTA stopped giving a damn about maintanance, and were forced in the very end to use the loaner buses from MTAB because so many failed. MTAB really started cleaning up things and getting us on par with the city, I remember some of the drivers felt like they finally weren't below the city. Of course now that's all over & the breakdowns are back, and this time it's the newer buses breaking down, because as Brett said, the MTA had to put new parts in the V's prior to the changeover.

I know for a fact they run out of buses every day twice a day.Once around 730 am and again around 330 pm.As drivers pull in they send the bus right back out on a new shift.They also call int the shop and ask for buses.The shop spits out what they need and they usually break down within the hour.

Considering how much the state pours into Nassau, they should be concerned about the lack of maintanance of the buses. But like I said, Cuomo is a tool & is buddy buddy with Mangano.

Earlier I was on a N6 racing the Q2 via bustime. Both left the bus terminal at the same time.

Post "race" notes:

-Desktop Bustime works sufficiently on smartphones (Android at least).

-Q2 turned off Hillside as N6 passed 187th pl.

-N6 turned onto Francis Lewis Blvd while Q2 was @ Jamaica Ave (or waiting at 99th Ave signal, I didn't zoom in)

-N6 turned onto Hempstead Ave before Q2 reached Francis Lewis Blvd.

-N6 entered Nassau County before Q2 reached Springfield Blvd.

Edited by N6 Limited, Today, 01:25 AM.

Yes, its true, there were loads of breakdowns, until MTA took over management of LI Bus. Once they took over, the breakdowns were more of a rare occurence. As far as them not passing inspection, I think once Mangano came up with his plan, the MTA stopped giving a damn about maintanance, and were forced in the very end to use the loaner buses from MTAB because so many failed. MTAB really started cleaning up things and getting us on par with the city, I remember some of the drivers felt like they finally weren't below the city. Of course now that's all over & the breakdowns are back, and this time it's the newer buses breaking down, because as Brett said, the MTA had to put new parts in the V's prior to the changeover.

Considering how much the state pours into Nassau, they should be concerned about the lack of maintanance of the buses. But like I said, Cuomo is a tool & is buddy buddy with Mangano.

Considering how much the state takes from Nassau.. lol

Well I can tell NICE bus is failing. I've never taken any Nassau routes but the N20/21 waiting times in Flushing is becoming worst. It wasn't the best under the MTA but at least you had a bus show up. Some people on the N20/N21 line said that they have waited at times for almost 2 hours and the drivers always say that the buses breaking down a lot. Last week I saw a newer 1800 series Orion 3G bus being towed in Flushing. I notice the same in Jamaica when I used to take the Q41 at 165st terminal I would literally see a lot of Long Island buses going in and out of the terminal. This was on Saturdays back before LIB became NICE bus. The Q41 has suck headways on the weekends often times having you wait 20-30 minutes at times and now (2013 and 2014) I may only see only 1 or 2 NICE buses leave the terminal.

I guess the (MTA) is never going to run Long Island Bus again since Nassau county only offered $4 Million.

If (MTA) did so well with maintaining buses, then why did even the newer bus not pass the inspection? Yeah, good maintenance (MTA)! [/sarcasm]

Conclusion: both LIB and NICE are no king of the hill when it comes to maintaining buses.

Edited by Vistausss

NICE GOING!

We currently have Service Quality Managers on the scene of the fire on North Central in Valley Stream providing shelter to evacuees with our Para buses.

1978814_732598326771872_307695694_n.jpg

This service must be in Veolia's contract with the County, I've been thinking this since I've also seen this on News12 with evacuated UPS employees keeping warm on a NICE bus as well evacuated residents in Massapequa after the oil tanker caught fire on Merrick rd.

This service must be in Veolia's contract with the County, I've been thinking this since I've also seen this on News12 with evacuated UPS employees keeping warm on a NICE bus as well evacuated residents in Massapequa after the oil tanker caught fire on Merrick rd.

That would be slick, in the contract but also good publicity.

If (MTA) did so well with maintaining buses, then why did even the newer bus not pass the inspection? Yeah, good maintenance (MTA)! [/sarcasm]

Conclusion: both LIB and NICE are no king of the hill when it comes to maintaining buses.

Well compared to when Long Island managed the buses they did much better under the (MTA). They failed inspection because of the abuse those buses took. Those 1700s weren't the best from the start some breaking down since delivery. It happens in the city too. LGA and JA had to transfer 1996s because LGAs buses would fail inspection. Some were even scrapped because of that reason. That is part of the reason why the Q53 went to CP and LGA got back the Q19. LGA had almost 100 RTS's as well as Orion V's. Alll there Orion Vs are gone and about 20 of their buses either retired or got moved around.

Back to Long Island bus it was much better once those problematic 1996/1998 Orion V CNGs retired. You are only referring to one time and that's before the MTA left. The months before the MTA was slowly backing away and that's when they found out those buses weren't in shape for inspection. Luckily at the same time the MTA had Orion V CNG's that were retiring so a lot of our parts went there and that was the same time the 1996 Orion V's were being retired as well.

I think everyone in Mineola, from the County Exec to the Legislators should be forced to have their car taken away & rely on NICE Bus to get to work!!!

really how do you expect people to use 3 buses to get to work for a short distance rather than driving? You really think buses like N51/46 are useful please they never were. You overestimate how NICE/LIB can actually meet the needs of the residents as a whole try again.

This is what they showed at the State of the County address. What a crock of shit.

ScreenShot010_zps2548755d.jpg

God forbid the county executive should take the bus himself and see what service is like and what they're doing to a once-great system.

great yeah sure buddy.

Tri-State Campaign is transit advocates for New York Metropolitan Regions that covers NY State, NJ and Connecticut.

Straphangers Campaign and Riders Alliance are MTA version while Long Island Bus Riders Union is transit advocate for Nassau/Suffolk County Bus riders.

Nassau Community College have NCC Bus Riders Union Club formed by students/teachers who are not happy with NICE.

When I took my friends to Nassau Colliseum during NY Islanders game, while I was waiting at Marriot Hotel and it was on Sat night.

After around 9pm, we were waiting for bus and taxi drivers kept thing "There's no bus coming.", even NYC T&LC that illegally pickup passenger that doesn't have reservation.

We were forced to 2nd bus because bus were crush loaded.

Mod, why you allowed Straphangers Campaign news over LIBRU? All these transit advocates have victory.

LIBRU are also created MetroCard Store Guide for Nassau County Bus riders, because NICE Bus doesn't copy way Westchester County Bee-Line Buses does.

sorry to break it to you but the beeline ain't so perfect just try using their routes over a distance.

I did new thing today.

After I stop by at Franklin Sq Copy place to make 100 copies of LIBRU+Citizen Defending Library fliers combined, after I got off n6 Jamaica at Grand St, I hiked up on beautiful day all the way to Convent Av/Tulip Av for first stop for n2/8 Green Acres Loop just in time I made, then got off at Green Acres Mall Marcys and I ask passengers "Are you waiting for Nassau County Bus?" When they said yes, I handed them fliers.

n2 bus stop at Hook Creek Blvd/Merrick Rd is still missing!!

After that Wendy's small size French fries break, I took same n8 bus to Hempstead Turnpike, then took n6 to HTC, then saw Computer printed-size Schedule Change information which no one didn't notice.

Then took late n49 to n20 Flushing and guess what 18:25 n20 B/O on #1608 did? He skipped NYIT Loop!

That would be slick, in the contract but also good publicity.

Someone at NICE went to school for marketing (or at least took a marketing class) making class lol...  Using  contracted service on social media to make them look like a good Samaritan on social media..  "Genius!" lol

NICE took the Fishbowl out today to Freeport:

838bf192ab9011e3878a121cc321c01d_8.jpg

Damn, I wanna drive that bus..

LI Operator ( http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/user/8792-li-operator/ ) was NICE enough to post this image of the Fishbowl on the n43:

gallery_8792_2_362123.jpg

117 went for a ride on the n43 line today down to Freeport before changing signs to remind people that n88 Jones Beach Service will soon be back!

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/gallery/image/689-msba-117/

So this bus was actually in service?   Taking passengers?  

Edited by Burrstone

Someone at NICE went to school for marketing (or at least took a marketing class) making class lol...  Using  contracted service on social media to make them look like a good Samaritan on social media..  "Genius!" lol

Other agencies like NJT can learn from NICE from a marketing point. Especially the bee-line and Rockland county!!!!

That would be pretty good considering it has no farebox & most of the seats are missing.

Come on man you have your entire life to be productive, how many more opportunities will you have to ride that bus?!

I didn't know bus was running. If I knew, I might have went to Freeport.

I have 2 houses in Jackson Heights, so I have to check Japanese guest in at my old house.

Edited by FamousNYLover