Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't veolia own the buses? It says owned by veolia & I also see a name of Edward manndanno on every bus

Ed Mangano is the county executive of Nassau. The buses are all owned by the county and Veolia was just contracted to run the service.

Was nice to see Yuki this afternoon at Roosevelt Field with his reflective vest and clipboard. 

Anyone who's at Freeport weekend afternoons/early evenings can document the horrendous service on the N4 - buses not showing up, etc.  On Saturday, the 6pm never showed up at Freeport, so everyone crowded onto the 6:20pm N4.  Not surprisingly, it couldn't take on any additional passengers at Park Ave in Rockville Centre, and there were screaming matches on the bus & from people who couldn't squeeze onto the bus at this & many other stops.  The bus driver appeared ready to have a heart attack, he was screaming so much at everyone.  We finally arrived at Jamaica Center at 7:43pm, almost an hour late.  (Those of us who were able to fit on the bus, that is.) Meanwhile, NICE bus feels the need to run empty N36 buses out of Freeport.  They need 10 minute service all day/evening on the N4 bus on weekends, with express N4 buses running all weekend too.  This is a super busy line with people who don't want to pay the exorbitant LIRR rates from Freeport/Baldwin/Rockville Centre to Jamaica.

Edited by RtrainBlues

n4 needs 8-10 minute headways, Nice needs to schedule more buses, & post the reason why the 6pm bus did not show up, This is unacceptable. For some reason I think nice thinks that there is "no body out on the weekends" MEanwhile the weekends the lines are super packed, why would nice send out empty N36 buses, while N4 are super packed & need help? A dispatcher should take a bus or two off the N36 and put it on the N4.

Was nice to see Yuki this afternoon at Roosevelt Field with his reflective vest and clipboard. 

Anyone who's at Freeport weekend afternoons/early evenings can document the horrendous service on the N4 - buses not showing up, etc.  On Saturday, the 6pm never showed up at Freeport, so everyone crowded onto the 6:20pm N4.  Not surprisingly, it couldn't take on any additional passengers at Park Ave in Rockville Centre, and there were screaming matches on the bus & from people who couldn't squeeze onto the bus at this & many other stops.  The bus driver appeared ready to have a heart attack, he was screaming so much at everyone.  We finally arrived at Jamaica Center at 7:43pm, almost an hour late.  (Those of us who were able to fit on the bus, that is.) Meanwhile, NICE bus feels the need to run empty N36 buses out of Freeport.  They need 10 minute service all day/evening on the N4 bus on weekends, with express N4 buses running all weekend too.  This is a super busy line with people who don't want to pay the exorbitant LIRR rates from Freeport/Baldwin/Rockville Centre to Jamaica.

I was heading to important press conference for Coles Brother Circus protest but unfortually 2:49pm n15 Long Beach Bus #1799 almost kick me out of bus because I was doing the right thing by telling car driver you not suppose to use bus lane.

n4 needs 8-10 minute headways, Nice needs to schedule more buses, & post the reason why the 6pm bus did not show up, This is unacceptable. For some reason I think nice thinks that there is "no body out on the weekends" MEanwhile the weekends the lines are super packed, why would nice send out empty N36 buses, while N4 are super packed & need help? A dispatcher should take a bus or two off the N36 and put it on the N4.

n36 bus doesn't run on Sunday.

24-hour n4 local and n6 local never on time even with schedule changes, they never come ontime because mostly buses are slow down by crazy car drivers cutting off in front of bus, or distracted car drivers not moving when red light change to green light.

Does nice have dispatchers at each end of the lines? I know in queens mta has a few dispatchers in flushing to regulate service & make sure buses are on time, maybe to fix the N4 problem nice should put a dispatcher in Jamaica center. Sometimes drivers can not make schedule time

Due to road conditions, & traffic on archer ave & Jamaica center is very heavy & dollar vans make illegal U turns & double park. I suggest a bus lane be installed on Archer ave.

Does nice have dispatchers at each end of the lines? I know in queens mta has a few dispatchers in flushing to regulate service & make sure buses are on time, maybe to fix the N4 problem nice should put a dispatcher in Jamaica center. Sometimes drivers can not make schedule time

Due to road conditions, & traffic on archer ave & Jamaica center is very heavy & dollar vans make illegal U turns & double park. I suggest a bus lane be installed on Archer ave.

NICE has dispatchers but mostly at busy transit hub at Roosevelt Field Mall and Hempstead Transit Center.

During PM Rush Hour, I sometimes see dispatcher at Jamaica Center.

Dispatcher sometimes shows up at Great Neck Station and mostly at Freeport Station to control n88.

Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't veolia own the buses? It says owned by veolia & I also see a name of Edward manndanno on every bus

As  NY1635 said Nassau County owns the buses. Veolia's name is on the buses because they operate them, I believe it's the law that the company that operates the buses has to be put on the bus. Ed Manganno is the Nassau's county executive, they probably wrote his name in place of Owner: Nassau County. 

I know Suffolk County owns their buses but the companies they contract with has their names on the buses as well next to the word Operator. 

Famous, can you try to get a full time bus dispatcher at Roosevelt av & Main Street for the N20? Please the N20 is a very busy line, it should have a full time dispatcher.

Well he can't really do anything, since he doesnt work at NICE bus. It all depends on NICE and if you guys complain hard enough.

I have no idea how to complain to nice bus, They don't even have a complaint hotine, MTA has a 511 number. Many days, during rush hour N20 & N21 come in packages of bulk., I mean 4 buses at a time, this is unacceptable. I know the buses are late due to the Northern blvd traffic, but if a bus dispatcher was there he could send the 1st bus out, have the 2nd bus wait 15 minutes, have the 3rd bus wait 30 minutes, etc. This is why bus dispatchers should be on every nice bus route, Famous have you been to Hicksville? sometimes I take N79 to south Huntington this n79 bus is always 15 minutes + late, with 20 or more people waiting, including seniors. Why would the N79 be late? its a bus that goes out east no where in queens. no traffic at all

I have no idea how to complain to nice bus, They don't even have a complaint hotine, MTA has a 511 number. Many days, during rush hour N20 & N21 come in packages of bulk., I mean 4 buses at a time, this is unacceptable. I know the buses are late due to the Northern blvd traffic, but if a bus dispatcher was there he could send the 1st bus out, have the 2nd bus wait 15 minutes, have the 3rd bus wait 30 minutes, etc. This is why bus dispatchers should be on every nice bus route, Famous have you been to Hicksville? sometimes I take N79 to south Huntington this n79 bus is always 15 minutes + late, with 20 or more people waiting, including seniors. Why would the N79 be late? its a bus that goes out east no where in queens. no traffic at all

Those n20 and n21 buses probably have to deal with the large crowds at the Great Neck station and traffic on Northern Blvd.

Yes great neck station has large crowds, & traffic on northern blvd from bell blvd down to flushing is stop & go & it's heavy & nice only gives it's drivers 12 minutes from the city line to flushing which is unreal a driver has to do 40mph + with no traffic just to get to flushing. On a side note maybe the city should install a "bus only lane " on northern blvd from flushing Main Street into great neck station

Yes great neck station has large crowds, & traffic on northern blvd from bell blvd down to flushing is stop & go & it's heavy & nice only gives it's drivers 12 minutes from the city line to flushing which is unreal a driver has to do 40mph + with no traffic just to get to flushing. On a side note maybe the city should install a "bus only lane " on northern blvd from flushing Main Street into great neck station

Nassau doesn't want a bus only lane installed on their streets.

Thanks, I will call the number & leave my comments,. I think Nassau should have a bus lane. It would speed up bus service, & hopefuly attract more people to ride.

It's also on http://www.nicebus.com website. Only Able-Ride (paratransit) hotline is open 7-day, so don't call NICE Bus on weekend.

This morning we had a very friendly bus driver on the N20, he's only on the bus a few days, there was a senior citizen to wanted to get off on bell blvd & northern blvd both myself & bus driver explained to her next time take

The q12 or q13 bus, she said she mistook the N20 for the q12, maybe nice bus should have better signage for the seniors so they can tell

The difference. This lady said to the driver thank you for

Opening the door & asked for a transfer for her return

Trip back to flushing, the driver gave her a transfer with a smile.

This morning we had a very friendly bus driver on the N20, he's only on the bus a few days, there was a senior citizen to wanted to get off on bell blvd & northern blvd both myself & bus driver explained to her next time take

The q12 or q13 bus, she said she mistook the N20 for the q12, maybe nice bus should have better signage for the seniors so they can tell

The difference. This lady said to the driver thank you for

Opening the door & asked for a transfer for her return

Trip back to flushing, the driver gave her a transfer with a smile.

Most of Q12 passengers abuse n20 because they don't want to get on crowded Q12 local bus.

Current n20/21 used to be stop for Q20/Q44 before NYCDOT changes turning restriction, sometimes there are some Q20/Q44 who has taken that bus for so long make mistake.

At 165th St Bus Terminal, there's n6 and Q6.

At Jamaica Center, there's n4 and Q4.

Hi famous good think you brought it up about q20 sometimes we have people who didn't take nyc mta bus for 5 years or more board the n20 & think it is q20 bus, maybe new signs at needed. Famous another problem we have at Roosevelt ave after 11pm the N20/n21 stop running & this stop

On Roosevelt ave becomes universal over night bus stop for q28,q13 & q16 buses, it's more like word of mouth but no sign there to let riders know maybe famous you request a overnight bus sign for q28, q13 & q16 buses. People wait for n20 after 11pm & board local q28 or q12 or q16 buses and are upset thank you

Hi famous good think you brought it up about q20 sometimes we have people who didn't take nyc mta bus for 5 years or more board the n20 & think it is q20 bus, maybe new signs at needed. Famous another problem we have at Roosevelt ave after 11pm the N20/n21 stop running & this stop

On Roosevelt ave becomes universal over night bus stop for q28,q13 & q16 buses, it's more like word of mouth but no sign there to let riders know maybe famous you request a overnight bus sign for q28, q13 & q16 buses. People wait for n20 after 11pm & board local q28 or q12 or q16 buses and are upset thank you

Most n20 passengers know last n20 Roslyn bus is at 11pm. It used to be 11:05pm before April 12th change.

Yesterday, I got off Pt. Wash train at Flushing, last n20 bus only had 1 passenger which bus left ontime.

Long Island Bus Riders Union only focuses on Nassau-Suffolk county buses. Riders Alliance, Straphangers Campaigin focus on MTA Subway/Buses. Tri-State Campaign focuses on MTA Subway/Buses, Metro-North, Long Island Railroad, NICE Bus, Suffolk County Transit, NJ Transit, CT Transit, PATH, etc.

Edited by FamousNYLover