Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

The N46 from Hempstead to Bellmore has several >90 degree tight right turns (Prospect Ave to East Meadow Ave + Jerusalem Ave to Bellmore Road), and articulated buses would not be able to make it.  In fact, since N46 goes through a lot of tight areas, it's quite a challenging route.  Unfortunately, it's not very well used by riders (no full buses).

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The example you give doesn't make sense. I wasn't talking about Veolia when I made that statement, I was talking about the county in general.

Uhmmm ... no.

If that was the case, what "private businesses doing whatever they want" are you referring to?

if anybody is interested on Saturday riding around in 1528.I will be parked near the king kullen in riverhead around 1:30 pm message me if any of you guys are gonna be there.I am excited to show her off and can't wait to see who comes on Saturday.

Edited by Tom Meadow

if anybody is interested on Saturday riding around in 1528.I will be parked near the king kullen in riverhead around 1:30 pm message me if any of you guys are gonna be there.I am excited to show her off and can't wait to see who comes on Saturday.

I'm interested, but my private messaging doesn't currently work.

That buses are called articulated buses. It doesn't work in Long Island either because there's lots of tightest turn like Nassau Community College, Hempstead Transit Center, and Great Neck U-turn road is too narrow for articulated bus.

Bee-Line's Articulated Bus on Route #40 and #41 that making right turn from Grassland Rd in Valhalla to Main Entrance of Westchester County Medical Center always hit curb because roads are narrow.

Today's articulated buses have the same turning radius as their 40' counterparts. Anywhere a 40' bus can go, a 60' bus can go as well.

Both the LFS and the LFSA have the same 41' turning radius

All Xcelsior models be it 40' or 60' have the same 41' turning radius

The only bus with a tighter turning radius than its shorter counterpart is the galaxy models (D/DE60). Those have a tighter turning radius (somewhere around 35' or so) than the 40' version

Today's articulated buses have the same turning radius as their 40' counterparts. Anywhere a 40' bus can go, a 60' bus can go as well.

Both the LFS and the LFSA have the same 41' turning radius

All Xcelsior models be it 40' or 60' have the same 41' turning radius

The only bus with a tighter turning radius than its shorter counterpart is the galaxy models (D/DE60). Those have a tighter turning radius (somewhere around 35' or so) than the 40' version

Thanks for pointing that out.  Was going to but thought one of the more senior members should field the question for more impact, if you will.

In a shutdown/major delay on LIRR, the MTA, by my understanding, would send buses to cover.  They've done it for Metro-North (there are pics in the NYC Bus photos subforum when it occurred).  The MTA also does it with weekend work on the LIRR.

I understand the mta would send shuttle buses to pick up the stranded people, but if I was a nice bus driver I would open both doors & say everybody come in my bus i would help out.

If people we're left stranded on the LIRR going the direction of out east, so a nice bus would leave all the people stranded outside? That doesn't sound so nice.

Those people wouldn't be stranded at the LIRR station. There's usually an All Island Taxi parked outside, ready to take people home. I think only a few NICE routes actually connect with the LIRR trains.

& how do you expect the Lirr riders to afford a taxi when they already paid for a train ticket? Us bus riders could only afford $2.50 cash fare. Another quarter means we have to make cuts else wear.

If LIRR riders can afford to take the train from Manhattan to LI daily, then they most likely have enough to spend $4-8 on a taxi ride home. You have to understand that although NICE is cheaper than the taxis, the routes aren't frequent or convenient in some parts of Nassau.

Why do people take the LIRR when they can have a luxury coach seat on a nice bus? Why wouldn't

You want to take a nice bus to Jamaica & catch the subway?

All on a $2.75 metro card fare

Because most LI'ers have the money and would rather go on the more convenient LIRR. The amount of people who take the bus on LI isn't as big as you think it is, percentage wise.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

More people would take nice buses if there routes weren't long & short as the N20, sometimes it could take over a hour to get to the 7 train. If nice made routes like n20, n4 & n6 express to subway from major points on Long Island than business would be sky rocketing. If Nassau installed a bus only lane this would speed things up, also I feel the drivers drive to slow, if I was the driver I would be moving along at a good speed.

More people would take nice buses if there routes weren't long & short as the N20, sometimes it could take over a hour to get to the 7 train. If nice made routes like n20, n4 & n6 express to subway from major points on Long Island than business would be sky rocketing. If Nassau installed a bus only lane this would speed things up, also I feel the drivers drive to slow, if I was the driver I would be moving along at a good speed.

Look, it isn't like here in NYC, where you can get away with that.

In suburban LI, the primary mode of transit is by car; always was, always will be as long as you have pro-car people there. LI has plenty of them. Then you have some which will use the LIRR, because they have the money for it, and is the fastest mode of transit for the most part. You also have people who use taxis to get around. Then, there will be the Surface transit riders, which represents a small fraction of the population of LI.

Furthermore, even if there was a bus lane, people will stay in their car, because they do not want to be on the bus. The bus already has a bad reputation as being the "poor people mode of transit". Many of them being anti-transit, and will drive wherever they need to go. A bus lane wouldn't even happen because residents would complain that it would affect them and take away parking spaces and room on the corridor.

Unless something like CT fastrak occurs, bus lanes and ridership skyrocketing would be a pipe dream. To be honest though, none of the routes you mentioned need bus lanes; they need a better distribution and having reasonable run times from point A to point B. This doesn't really apply to the n20, but you don't really need a bus lane, because ridership is highest from Flushing to Great Neck, and then Great Neck to Roslyn has decent ridership, but not enough ridership to have such a boost. Some of the roads aren't even possible to do bus only lanes. If that was the case, then the road would be a bus only roadway, and that certainly is not going to fly by at all.

John from Flushing, also there's many villages and towns don't have train or buses and they have to either depend on taxis, driving their car or friend driving them to bus stop or train station. Oyster Bay don't have bus service and LIRR doesn't go far east into Oyster Bay, so no matter what, car folks will remain royal to their cars because they sometimes shops and it's not easy carrying huge screen TV in box onboard the public bus.

For example, most of Animal Rights Activists in Marvene (correct my spell) in Nassau County who goes to Cole Brother Circus protest demo for 4pm and 7pm at South Hampton, Artist Lake (Middle Island) or Greenport, they uses their cars or trucks because we have lots of protest signs that they have to carry. Imigine carrying that stuff on both NICE Bus and Suffolk County Transit buses carrying dozens of circus protest materials with just only one or two person will be tough. That's reason why LI mostly drives no matter what.