Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Many Mta nyc buses have driver shields to protect the driver, why doesn't nice bus have these shields? I think all drivers should have a shield & a camera to protect them. I was talking to female driver this morning, nice bus is hiring new bus drivers, Most new drivers only stay a few months & quit, why does nice have so much turn over? wouldn't people want to stay in a career, isn't nice bus civil service like the mta? correct me if I am wrong

Also why is cash fare $ 2.50? I been paying $ 2.75 in coins & asked many drivers how much in coins I get $2.75 reply,...Famous are u correct? I kmow its only a 25 cents but it adds up thanks.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cash fare and NICE GoMobile Fare (Mobile Ticket App) is $2.50/reduce fare is $125. Only MetroCard rate is $2.75 and $1.35 for Reduce Fare MetroCard/Disables MetroCard

Also why is cash fare $ 2.50? I been paying $ 2.75 in coins & asked many drivers how much in coins I get $2.75 reply,...Famous are u correct? I kmow its only a 25 cents but it adds up thanks.

There is only one base fare now, that $2.75...... I remember numerous people bitching about that on the trains (LIRR) and on the platforms some months ago....

I didn't know it was like that to begin with; rather stupid concept to have had a 25 cent discount if you use coins over the metrocard....

There is only one base fare now, that $2.75...... I remember numerous people bitching about that on the trains (LIRR) and on the platforms some months ago....

I didn't know it was like that to begin with; rather stupid concept to have had a 25 cent discount if you use coins over the metrocard....

I kinda get why they did it, but I agree, it's stupid.

Most of the people who have metrocards are using the higher utilized routes,being they connect to the subway. NICE didn't have to raise the fares.

Wow. Every nice bus driver has told me it's $2.75 in coins, maybe nice bus drivers need to be retrained on the cash fare

Or maybe the drivers were told that the cash fare is $2.75 as well, and either whoever told them is wrong or NICE never updated their website to reflect the change. I mean just because the website says that the cash fare is $2.50 doesn't mean that is currently correct, maybe NICE doesn't have someone that can update their website on demand. 

I don't think nicebus.com gets updated, I believe it is $2.75 cash fare as we'll, every bus driver has told me

It's is $2.75 in coins as we'll as the metro card, nice really needs to try to reach out to it's customers on social media, most people

On the bus have a smart phone, & can go to there website for details

Just like there websites bus schedules which says January 2014 that's how long bus schedules have been updated we need nice bus time just like mta has I am tired of waiting & waiting for a bus only to find out I missed the connection bc the driver felt like coming early

I don't think nicebus.com gets updated, I believe it is $2.75 cash fare as we'll, every bus driver has told me

It's is $2.75 in coins as we'll as the metro card, nice really needs to try to reach out to it's customers on social media, most people

On the bus have a smart phone, & can go to there website for details

Just like there websites bus schedules which says January 2014 that's how long bus schedules have been updated we need nice bus time just like mta has I am tired of waiting & waiting for a bus only to find out I missed the connection bc the driver felt like coming early

Today, n23 driver told tourist going to Nassau County Museum, cash fare is $2.50.

Just like there websites bus schedules which says January 2014 that's how long bus schedules have been updated 

Cost money to print up schedules, and is kind of pointless if there are no changes made to them recently. 

Suffolk normally only prints up schudules with recent effective dates only when there are changes made to the route. Otherwise you may see schudules on the bus with effective dates from like a year or two before. (I think I was told they print new schdules for non route changes every two or so years.  (Some routes haven't had any changes in years that you could use a schedule from the 1990's.

I been on many mta buses in queens where there is new updated bus schedules all over the floor and on the seats if mta prints a lot of then what is stoping nice and Suffolk? Nice should have paper schedules on the buses because many people that ride the buses don't have internet friendly cell phones & nice should have sign saying cash fare is $2.50

I been on many mta buses in queens where there is new updated bus schedules all over the floor and on the seats if mta prints a lot of then what is stoping nice and Suffolk? Nice should have paper schedules on the buses because many people that ride the buses don't have internet friendly cell phones & nice should have sign saying cash fare is $2.50

NICE already has paper schedules on their buses, and at majors terminal like Hempstead Transit Center.

what is stoping nice and Suffolk? 

Nothing is stopping Suffolk, as I said Suffolk prints paper schudules, they just don't do it every month, unles there are changes to the route. Otherwise they make one run of route schudules, normally in Janurary, and that normally lasts until the next run. Which is every year or two. (Suffolk use to do it every six months or so) 

As I told you it cost money to print paper schudules, which is why Suffolk prints them once every year unless there is a change to the route, because it cost a ton of money to print alot of schedules for 50 something routes. And since Suffolk Transit has always operated with a deficit with it's budget, something had to be cut, and since nobody wants routes to be cut, then how often they print schudules had to go down. 

On N20 first stop in queens on Roosevelt ave, I have spoken to a few senior citizens who are regular riders according to them, they are taking the N20 for "years" & they still have no time what time the buses come, they just stand & wait at the stop until the bus comes, sometimes they wait 30-45 minutes, the seniors would like paper schedules printed in many different laungaues, many seniors bus riders do not speak or read English, also yesterday one lady senior with walker requested to go on wheelchair lift in the back & the driver tried to use it but told lady "lift doesn't work wait for another bus" according to lady she had to wait another 45 minutes for new orange bus to use front ramp. She was unhappy camper

On N20 first stop in queens on Roosevelt ave, I have spoken to a few senior citizens who are regular riders according to them, they are taking the N20 for "years" & they still have no time what time the buses come, they just stand & wait at the stop until the bus comes, sometimes they wait 30-45 minutes, the seniors would like paper schedules printed in many different laungaues, many seniors bus riders do not speak or read English, also yesterday one lady senior with walker requested to go on wheelchair lift in the back & the driver tried to use it but told lady "lift doesn't work wait for another bus" according to lady she had to wait another 45 minutes for new orange bus to use front ramp. She was unhappy camper

Most of n20/21 riders are not interest taking survey or petition unless if bus doesn't show up at all.

It also depends on bus drivers. Some bus drivers carry bus schedules for their routes via car relief.

Last Wednesday when I got on first 4:24pm n4X Freeport express, I met my friend Kimberly from Long Island Jobs with Justice and one regular senior lady from Oceanside and one other lady was apprexiate I was going on n15 Long Beach bus because n4X (LTD version of NICE Bus) was suppose to arrive Rockville Cetre at 5:02pm and arrive ontime and 4:19pm n15 Long Beach was suppose to arrive Merrick Rd at 5:05pm and thanks to me, all n15 Long Beach passengers made to connection. One regular rider told "I never make this bus at all."

What time did you waited ask senior citizens? So I could come to Flushing at that time.

If I knew of a place where I can get bus schedules I would stand in flushing at N20 stop & hand out bus schedules all day. I like to help. I see a lot of seniors around 2-330pm. Many do not speak English & would love to see a "paper schedule" for the 1st time. Famous if you go & ask these seniors what time the bus comes, many do not have a idea at all , they just go to bus stop & wait & wait & wait ( there words) also many people & seniors look at bus stop pole expecting a bus schedule time to be on it like the mta has, I suggest nice to put time schedules on every bus stop then we wouldn't need paper schedules, it's a win win

If I knew of a place where I can get bus schedules I would stand in flushing at N20 stop & hand out bus schedules all day. I like to help. I see a lot of seniors around 2-330pm. Many do not speak English & would love to see a "paper schedule" for the 1st time. Famous if you go & ask these seniors what time the bus comes, many do not have a idea at all , they just go to bus stop & wait & wait & wait ( there words) also many people & seniors look at bus stop pole expecting a bus schedule time to be on it like the mta has, I suggest nice to put time schedules on every bus stop then we wouldn't need paper schedules, it's a win win

Veolia which owns NICE Bus don't have NYCDOT's permit to put bus schedule at bus stop in Queens.

There used to be Spanish bodega near 179th St (F) Station which store owner has posted paper schedule for n22/n24 bus on wall of bodega, but that store has been shutdown.

Maybe veolia can get permit from nyc to

Put schedule on the bus pole. Seniors would like to know what time

Bus comes. Many seniors don't have internet smart phones they still do things the old fashioned way thanks

Problem with NICE Bus for putting schedules at bus stop, they cannot paste bus schedule at all the bus stops due to multiple of (MTA) buses and NICE Bus shares. Not all Suffolk County Transit bus stops has Guide-A-Ride (bus schedule posted on pole) because some Suffolk County Transit bus stops are small.

You should also check out n57 bus one time because n57 Great Neck Loop operates different direction during morning and evening rush hour, there's no bus stop for n57 except for Middle Neck Rd where shared by n58 bus.

I will be in great neck tomorrow, maybe I will take bus ride on N57, one question : if I take it around 4pm, can I take the same bus back to great neck? I don't want to be lost because you said N57 does different bus route, Last week I took N20 to Hicksville LIRR station & asked driver if I can sit in bus & go back to flushing he said sure, the poor guy didn't even get up at Hicksville to stretch his leg, he continued right back to flushing, now that driver is a company man! I been looking I haven't seen this driver anymore, recently its been different drivers everyday, until a few months ago I used to see the same driver everyday same time. what's going on?

Does anybody know when nice is going to get new buses? The old buses nice has now is like rideing on a roller coaster ride, mta is buying new buses left & right. Since veolia is a private company, why can't veolia reach into his/her own pockets & buy the buses? It is veolias company after all. Let's say somebody owns a company they would buy new equipment these old buses nice has should have been replaced 5 years ago

Does anybody know when nice is going to get new buses? The old buses nice has now is like rideing on a roller coaster ride, mta is buying new buses left & right. Since veolia is a private company, why can't veolia reach into his/her own pockets & buy the buses? It is veolias company after all. Let's say somebody owns a company they would buy new equipment these old buses nice has should have been replaced 5 years ago

According to NICE's face book page, they will get newer buses in September to replace the old ones.

Who is paying for these new buses? Last thing we need is a fare increase, I think veolia should pay for the buses, because they make a lot of profits off the $2.75 fare.

If Veolia brought the buses with their own money then they could take the buses with them if they were to lose the contract, so while a good thing for Veolia that would be bad for Nassau. 

The money to buy the buses probably is coming from moeny set aside in NICE's budget plus money from the Federal and State governments. 

I'm pretty sure any money made goes to NICE's budget not Veolia, also I don't think any profit would be enough to buy buses by itself. The fare goes towards the operation of the system so I don't think there is a lot left over from that for a large profit to buy buses. 

Not all Suffolk County Transit bus stops has Guide-A-Ride (bus schedule posted on pole) because some Suffolk County Transit bus stops are small.

Has nothing to do with the size of the stop, Suffolk only seemed to put Guide-A-Ride's at Transfer spots. (Or at least that's the only places I've seen them)