Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Famous, why doesn't oyster bay have bus service? Isn't oyster bay located in Nassau li?

Not all neighorhood want bus or train service because of NIMBYs (Not In My Backyard)

Please google and wiki search.

It's same situation in Westchester County, where there are no Bee-Line Bus or Metro-North service, so they depend and relies on cars or taxis.

Most folks in this neighborhood usually hires taxis or car service to take them to bus stop or train station to get around.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Bus # 1005 (an old Foothills Transit model) was "disabled" with flashers on on Stewart Avenue in Garden City at about 4:20PM.  I saw it later as it crawled back to the NICE garage, still with flashers on.  This is the first time that I have seen a "new" old Orion V Foothills Transit in trouble.  Usually, they are loudly chugging by with no problems.

Has anyone else seen a problem with these 1000-series buses?

Yes, the nice new buses (pun intended) should be appearing in early 2016.  They posted some pics on the Facebook page.

It's about time veolia is reaching into there pockets & buying buses. We the riders can't not wait to enter a new bus that smells like a stretch limo ride.

Veolia Transdev is only the operator, operating a contract for Nassau County.  It is not Transdev's obligation to reach into "it's" pocket for anything.....even all they did reach into their pocket and use their money last year to balance a budget shortfall so service wouldn't be cut for the riders.

Nassau County owns the buses in the fleet.  *Usually* 80% of the price of each bus comes from Federal/State grants and 20% comes from the local municipality, in this case NICE/Nassau County.

Thanks 4 the info, the old buses especially the old Orion's, have beer cans empty large soda cups, fast food wrappers & food paper bags, I even saw a empty 40 oz bottle of beer In the back & it was half way full but I didn't touch it, also just garbage all over and newspapers etc, this is a regular thing so I know the buses aren't clean daily as they are required too.hopefully with the new buses nice will keep them clean.

Thanks 4 the info, the old buses especially the old Orion's, have beer cans empty large soda cups, fast food wrappers & food paper bags, I even saw a empty 40 oz bottle of beer In the back & it was half way full but I didn't touch it, also just garbage all over and newspapers etc, this is a regular thing so I know the buses aren't clean daily as they are required too.hopefully with the new buses nice will keep them clean.

Even with new buses, most of NICE Bus riders don't care what bus fleet is and some folks just like to trash, lazy to take their garbage. Especially if you visit Westbury or Glen Cove, you'll see how messy is, people trashing their neighborhood, even in front of police stations.

Maybe the bus was clean the moment it left the garage, and over the course of the day, people came and started leaving the mess behind. Drivers don't sweep out the buses during their shift (if they even have the time for it) and the buses get cleaned once the bus goes back into the garage for the night.

Yeah some of the riders are nasty, they leave all the garbage on the bus, soon nice should install a sign "take your trash with you"

Even with the sign, it wouldn't work.

For example, look at Flushing-Main St, and even thought they have proper recycle bin next to trash can, some people are ignorant, they throw in different places.

I want to come but I am in flushing, how can I take the N20 to east meadow for a bus ride, any transfer points? & can N20 driver call other transfer bus & say to wait a few minutes for me so I wouldn't miss the connection

NICE bus don't radio for connecting bus.

Maybe Tom meant today, and if he meant today, you cannot make it because you have to go all the Hicksville and take n24 Jamaica to Old Country Rd/Post Av, which you have to walk several miles down Merrick Av along Eisenhower State Park to Park Blvd.

Yeah I would never make it today, Suffolk transit radios for transfer bus to wait for passenger maybe nice bus should start to do that. Imaging you miss a transfer bus then u have to wait one hour more, I am lucky I can always take the walk to little neck by the VHS video store & get on the q12

I'll be parked at the long beach rec center tmrw at 3pm.I am gonna drive from long beach-to the WalMart in Uniondale.Anybody wants to go take the n15 or lirr get off at The long beach bus terminal and walk down national to the rec center.

Can you take a picture for us?

I know there's something fishy, so I'm not buying this, but I wana see how far this goes

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Yeah I would never make it today, Suffolk transit radios for transfer bus to wait for passenger maybe nice bus should start to do that. Imaging you miss a transfer bus then u have to wait one hour more, I am lucky I can always take the walk to little neck by the VHS video store & get on the q12

Not all that time. Some suffolk County Transit passes through area, where radio cannot be reach like foresty area, which blocks radio communication.