Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did bus service to Jones Beach start already? I don't see it on the website

I don't think there is any bus service to jones beach this year, i think nice cut due to the lack of funding

On Nice Bus website, you have to go to "Summer Service" section on Maps/Schedules.

They never make PDF schedules for n88 Jones Beach. It started Saturday, June 27th and going through Monday, September 7th. They only made mistake cutting evening and Jones Beach/Nikon Theater concert service. Last bus from West Bath House is 8pm. n87 bus wasn't popular and mostly n87 bus was only use for passengers who wanted to go bet Hicksville and Wantagh on weekend, and mostly along Newbridge Rd corridor where n48/49 travels on weekend.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Is there any reason why Nice bus cancel the evening jones beach/ Nikon theater bus? I have a feeling that the theater is prob near empty because people that took the bus have no other way to get there, Can long island bus rider union try to get jones beach bus concert bus back? I would take n20 to Hicksville and take concert bus, but since I have no way to get there that means one less ticket for the jones beach theater.

Is there any reason why Nice bus cancel the evening jones beach/ Nikon theater bus? I have a feeling that the theater is prob near empty because people that took the bus have no other way to get there, Can long island bus rider union try to get jones beach bus concert bus back? I would take n20 to Hicksville and take concert bus, but since I have no way to get there that means one less ticket for the jones beach theater.

They aren't even a real union. They have no power, literally.

n87 never did go to concert. Only n88 from Freeport was only concert bus service.

They aren't even a real union. They have no power, literally.

Actually, Aaron from LIBRU is on Nassau County Bus Transit Committe board.

& Why do you think they aren't even a real union? I thought they stick up & defend the riders.

Just like Riders Alliance, most of NICE Bus and MTA Riders don't know well about Riders Alliance and LIBRU.

Straphangers Campaign and Riders Alliance got lots of victories like countdown clock at bus stops owned by NYCDOT.

No one can avoid Long Island Jobs with Justice/LIBRU because supporters are everywhere including Nassau County Democrative Committee, Car Free Day Long Island, several Nassau and Suffolk County elected officials, many bus riders, including Hampton Jitney, etc.

LIBRU is not union. It's nonprofit organization and just like all other Bus Riders Unions across other states, we fight for benefit of bus riders. Memphis BRU seem to be more successful to get lots of their bus riders onboard the meeting.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Thanks for explaining it to me, How can we get bus riders to come to the daily meetings? Many bus riders are fed up with the bad & late buses, and the connection points,  also we need nice bus to reach out & communicate with the average rider, sometimes there is a closed street or cancelled bus, we have no way to know about it, some buses on li run once a hour, if a bus is cancelled that means we have to wait another hour, we need updated communication. any chance nice bus can get bus clockdown at bus stops? that would help, also driver on n20 today told me nice passengers are actualy up which is good.

Thanks for explaining it to me, How can we get bus riders to come to the daily meetings? Many bus riders are fed up with the bad & late buses, and the connection points,  also we need nice bus to reach out & communicate with the average rider, sometimes there is a closed street or cancelled bus, we have no way to know about it, some buses on li run once a hour, if a bus is cancelled that means we have to wait another hour, we need updated communication. any chance nice bus can get bus clockdown at bus stops? that would help, also driver on n20 today told me nice passengers are actualy up which is good.

NICE Bus riders think both NICE Bus meeting and Nassau County Legislator meeting about budget on bus issue wouldn't do them any good even if they complained.

Lots of NICE Bus riders get confuse between (MTA), Veolia and LIBRU.

Even some members of Vegan Long Island or Long Island Orchestrating for Nature does not know too much about bus service.

Bus Riders here are not very active to get to meeting because they think it's useless.

Nassau County Bus Transit Committee which oversees NICE Bus fixed-route buses at 700 Commercial Av begins at 4pm while Transit Accessibly Advisory Committee which oversees NICE Bus Able-Ride Paratransit at Stewart Av begins at 10am and only one bus goes to each depot and from Roosevelt Field Mall, you have to cross multiple lanes of traffic travel lane to get to meeting.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Many nice bus riders still think mta runs it they have no idea it is a private company & many riders have no idea it is closed policy in queens maybe nice should install signs on bus that say we do not drop off in queens, Roosevelt field mall that busy street is dangerous to cross multiple lanes of traffic, maybe they should move bus stop to other side where it is safe to drop off passengers

Many nice bus riders still think mta runs it they have no idea it is a private company & many riders have no idea it is closed policy in queens maybe nice should install signs on bus that say we do not drop off in queens, Roosevelt field mall that busy street is dangerous to cross multiple lanes of traffic, maybe they should move bus stop to other side where it is safe to drop off passengers

Most Queens riders they do know because it follows same rule under (MTA) Long Island Bus. Some choose to sneak onboard NICE because NICE is quicker with close door policy. If NICE Bus did open door in Queens, there will be no delays, so it just stays close door.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Even with pickup or drop off only, people still wouldn't read the sign.

At 5th Av/84th St, even with MTA's BxM (Bronx Manhattan Express or Bee-Line BxM4C White Plains-Westchester County Express, tourist trying to get on the express bus that drop off only in Manhattan.

I was once on QM6 on Union Turnpike, and one rider boarded and exit at pick up location when bus driver told him politely we don't drop off passengers.

I timed N20 from Roosevelt ave to Gleenwood street it takes 17 minutes, that's with driver driving correctly & in left lane, With Q12 same ride takes 35 minutes, because of every local stop the bus has to make.

Actually, Aaron from LIBRU is on Nassau County Bus Transit Committe board.

Having one member on a Committe doesn't give him or the LIBRU any real power. Unless of course this  Aaron is a charming guy who can get the other committe members to side with him. 

& Why do you think they aren't even a real union? I thought they stick up & defend the riders.

I believe by 'real union' BM5 via Woodhaven means that they aren't like the type of unions like the TWU or Teamsters that repersent workers and have some power to get some type of changes done. The LIBRU is a union but can only suggest that changes should be made, they don't have any power to force those changes be made. 

The Suffolk County Legislature only reconizes one "riders union", and it's not the LIBRU,  and allows them to suggest idea's for better bus service. To date their suggestings haven't been acted on or not in a timely manner. 

Li bus riders union should have the power to force nice bus and Suffolk transit to make changes that will benefit

The riders, having a guy from a transit commute means a lot to

The riders. Thanks for all your help li bus riders union in trying to make nice

Bus a better place for it's riders, next we need more buses on each line maybe every 10 minutes like mta would be nice

Li bus riders union should have the power to force nice bus and Suffolk transit to make changes that will benefit

The riders, having a guy from a transit commute means a lot to

The riders. Thanks for all your help li bus riders union in trying to make nice

Bus a better place for it's riders, next we need more buses on each line maybe every 10 minutes like mta would be nice

The main problem is and, Suffolk County and Suffolk Transit would probably agee, is money.

Suffolk Transit has basically always been operated with a budget deficit. And that it's service has always been the way it is. In the late 80's Suffolk had threaten the cuts of routes if a fare hike wasn't imposed. (Fares were like .75 cents or so at that time) Two routes were cut however. Again in the mid 90's Suffolk threaten to cut routes again, I don't remember what saved them though there was no fare hike, however only one route was eleminated. Other the 30 or so years of offical operation Suffolk Transit has cut at least four routes, due to low ridership. In the 2000's they created two routes, one being half a duplicate of one they had cut in the 80's.

That's also not to mention that people don't like to be forced to do anything expecially the government. Also you would have to contend with if it is legal for a group of people, I have no idea if the LIBRU has any legal set up to be called an actual union, can make a government agency to make changes. Suffolk Transit is a government agency that is run by the Department of Transportation which is a part of the County's Department of Public Works. I have no idea how NICE is set up.

I've ridden Suffolk Transit my whole life, and while I admit there are problems, I also am aware that you need money to operate it and money to make changes, no matter if People like the LIBRU or others what it., Also you would need some type of data or other stuff to prove that changes are needed. Nobody wants to spend money for changes just to find out that it was a waste. (While not a money loser, I'd like to point out how in the opening months of the expanded Sunday Service last year it was said that the routes that got it had been pulling in less riders then they normally had on Saturdays. I'm sure there were some who had thought that that was a waste.)

When anyone tries to press the June 28 schedule changes box on the NICE website, it just redirects back to the main page. What gives?

It just only n22/A/L/X and n80/81 buses. I pressed on June 28th my firefox remembers location.

http://www.nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/Nicebus-PDFs/a_upcoming/NICE-n22-Jun2015-v1.pdf

http://www.nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/Nicebus-PDFs/a_upcoming/NICE-n80n81-Jun2015-web-v1.pdf

When I rode the N4 yesterday, I saw a picture of Ed Mangano and next to it says sucks and a word that rhymes with stick

I saw someone write "Ed Mangano sucks" on the back of an NG the last time I had to go to Hempstead.  Last winter making the buses dirty sure didn't help.