Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's bad news for n88 riders. I sent email regardding n87/n88 question and I got replied from Erica Richards:

NO N88 EXTENTION TO HEMPSTEAD according to NICE Bus Officials.

From my email:

We are excited to announce that we are reinstating the n87 from Hicksville to Jones Beach for this coming Summer Season.  The details of this route are being finalized now and we'll make an announcement about this service in the coming weeks.

Please note that the n88 will not be extended to Hempstead and will run to and from Freeport and the Beach, as last year.

From Erika Richards

The N87 is coming back!!! And the N88 will go to Hempstead....

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/DPW/documents/BTC03272013.pdf

N88: WHAT IN RETARDED HELL?!!!

Am I the only one that sees chaos with the 88 going to Hempstead?

Anyways I dunno what will happen in that case, if it will stop in Freeport

Yes, its sort of an extended N40/41, but I have a feeling its gonna make LIMITED stops only like Hempstead, some other stops, Freeport and then head down to the beach. Expect those buses to be packed severely. I feel bad for you because I'll be on the N87, perfect link between the N20 and Jones Beach!

Yeah I have to take the bus and the (F), then the n6 and the. The n88. I'd rather avoid Freeport now for the 88 since those buses are gonna get severely crammed. Lucky you lol.

Good, unlike the MTA NICE is trying to get people to take the bus to Jones Beach. The N87 definitely should've came back last year, I'm not so sure about this N88 extension but we'll have to see how this plays out.

Plus they've also wrapped up a nice deal with the (MTA):

http://www.nicebus.com/maps_and_schedules/n88/index.html

"The Long Island Railroad will be offering a discounted travel package to Jones Beach from Penn Station and Jamaica, Queens. This package will include a round trip LIRR ticket to Freeport station and a round trip NICE BUS voucher for Jones Beach. The package fare is $17.50 from Penn Station and $14.50 from Jamaica."

Edited by FamousNYLover

Under LIB it was always a separate fare for the Jones Beach bus, no transfers were valid. You could use an unlimited card, but if you had a PPR it automatically took another fare.

That's incorrect. Transfers were valid from all connecting routes to the N88 with any MC. The N87 also accepted transfers from all connecting routes.

Hound, do you remember what the old route through Nassau CC was like?  I found a Mid-Island schedule (http://www.hempsteadplains.com/miditran.htm) from '68 showing a bus from Jericho going down Brush Hollow Road to Old Country Road, where it would follow the current 16/35/43/45/51 routing out... I don't know when the runways were paved over and that current elbow road was built...

I ask because throughout the older part of campus, there are bus shelters dating to at least the 1990s.  I've seen paratransit use these but those roads date back to when Mitchel was still an Air Force base, and they're almost too narrow for anything larger than a paratransit vehicle.

Under LIB it was always a separate fare for the Jones Beach bus, no transfers were valid. You could use an unlimited card, but if you had a PPR it automatically took another fare.

I always got the transfer on the N88 and I always use a Metrocard, never cash.

That's incorrect. Transfers were valid from all connecting routes to the N88 with any MC. The N87 also accepted transfers from all connecting routes.

Hound, do you remember what the old route through Nassau CC was like?  I found a Mid-Island schedule (http://www.hempsteadplains.com/miditran.htm) from '68 showing a bus from Jericho going down Brush Hollow Road to Old Country Road, where it would follow the current 16/35/43/45/51 routing out... I don't know when the runways were paved over and that current elbow road was built...

I ask because throughout the older part of campus, there are bus shelters dating to at least the 1990s.  I've seen paratransit use these but those roads date back to when Mitchel was still an Air Force base, and they're almost too narrow for anything larger than a paratransit vehicle.

There was one curvy unimproved road through Mitchell Field connecting Hemp. Tpk. through NCC to Stewart Ave. Mid-Island Transit(formerly Star Bus) was the only one that ran through there. As far as I know,the N51 took Stewart Ave to Merrick Ave bet. Roos. Fld & Merrick.

How was the meeting?

Lots of people were there, but not crowded.

They even had set of new, Dec-Spring-April schedules mixed up with new Schedule Bus routes.

I had to leave little early because I had Transportation Alternative's Annual Member Meeting in Chelsea.

It's mostly usual people.

An extention of the N70 to Wherever, the elmination of the n6 and n72, and 60 minute headways weekends and 30 minute headways on all of hempstead turnpike is nice. Yeah Spring is very NICE to customers.

Where did you get that from? The flower map was just a little artwork for the NICE Facebook page, it doesn't mean anything.

An extention of the N70 to Wherever, the elmination of the n6 and n72, and 60 minute headways weekends and 30 minute headways on all of hempstead turnpike is nice. Yeah Spring is very NICE to customers.

LOL

Where did you get that from? The flower map was just a little artwork for the NICE Facebook page, it doesn't mean anything.

I think he was joking

I'm really starting to like NICE's public relations, especially on their Facebook. Not only do they keep in contact with me well, but if you have a smartphone, you get the service alerts faster there than you do on their site. They're also starting little campaigns here and there to kinda boost bus service morale. This is the first of what is supposed to be a YouTube campaign:

3G FOAM!