Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking off Veolia, I also didn't know NYC Airporter, operated by Golden Touch Transportation was division of Veolia Transportation.

Every time I see NYC Airporter or Super Shuttle, I yell, "Veolia Transportation, you're not doing very good job with Nassau County Bus."

They must love you. lol  :)

I always knew nycairporter was owned by Veolia but until I was on the Golden Touch website today I just noticed that Golden Touch said nycairporter was "it's new service. I always thought it was owned and operated by Veolia but today I just realized nycairporter is operated by golden toouch (I just looked up pictures of buses and it even says that).

I just wish they came up with a better, more catchy name than nycairporter!

How does it work in the Netherlands?  Does Veolia own the transit systems? 

Veolia runs many public transit systems for municipalities here in the US but also owns nycairporter, golden touch transportation, supershuttle, and many taxicab companies across the country.

No, Veolia is smallest in The Netherlands. But here it works like so. If it's not a city-owned transit operator (like in your case the (MTA)) then they get money from the county to run the system but it's only a small amount. The biggest amount comes from their earnings (so they have to make profit in order to survive unless, like I said, it's a city-ownded system). Every 5-10 years an city or area has to renew who's operating (so for example, if an area has to renew and they choose Arriva instead of Veolia then Arriva gets a contract for 5-10 years, like how it's done with NICE in your case).

At the moment, from the bus transit operators, Arriva is the biggest, second is Connexxion (Arriva knocked them off of the first place last year) and the third biggest one is Veolia. And than there are a few smaller ones and a few city-owned ones.

Edited by Vistausss

No, Veolia is smallest in The Netherlands. But here it works like so. If it's not a city-owned transit operator (like in your case the (MTA)) then they get money from the county to run the system but it's only a small amount. The biggest amount comes from their earnings (so they have to make profit in order to survive unless, like I said, it's a city-ownded system). Every 5-10 years an city or area has to renew who's operating (so for example, if an area has to renew and they choose Arriva instead of Veolia then Arriva gets a contract for 5-10 years, like how it's done with NICE in your case).

At the moment, from the bus transit operators, Arriva is the biggest, second is Connexxion (Arriva knocked them off of the first place last year) and the third biggest one is Veolia. And than there are a few smaller ones and a few city-owned ones.

He has too much time on his hands.

You mean me? Yes, that is true. I'm currently not doing much besides *preparing* for college to start in a few months to become a bus driver (note that 'college' in Europe means something different than in the USA), so yes, I have too much time on my hands.

Edited by Vistausss

You mean me? Yes, that is true. I'm currently not doing much besides *preparing* for college to start in a few months to become a bus driver (note that 'college' in Europe means something different than in the USA), so yes, I have too much time on my hands.

Dude I am not reffering to you.

At some point, I need to explore the NICE system since I haven't been on any routes. Wouldn't be so bad to see what it's like. I want to see what the hell is going on and I want to plan a trip to Roosevelt Fields. Any recommendations from the Nassau residences?

Edited by Metro CSW

Then why were you quoting me? And still: my previous post is valid, I have too much time on my hands lol.

famous weeeee . Done but seriously why are folks here limited in thinking.

At some point, I need explore since I haven't been on any routes. Wouldn't be so bad to see what it's like. Any recommendations from the Nassau residences?

Try N73 from hicksville to see how empty that area is good views. Try N16/17 and other lines like N20 hicksville. ect.

At some point, I need to explore the NICE system since I haven't been on any routes. Wouldn't be so bad to see what it's like. I want to see what the hell is going and I want to plan a trip to Roosevelt Fields. Any recommendations from the Nassau residences?

Well, you're right to wanna go to Roosevelt Field. You'll get a lot of NICE there. If you're really feeling adventurous, you can take a quick 10 minute ride (you have many ways to make the connection) to Hempstead Transit Center and see even more!

Edited by Brett

At some point, I need to explore the NICE system since I haven't been on any routes. Wouldn't be so bad to see what it's like. I want to see what the hell is going on and I want to plan a trip to Roosevelt Fields. Any recommendations from the Nassau residences?

Well, you're right to wanna go to Roosevelt Field. You'll get a lot of NICE there. If you're really feeling adventurous, you can take a quick 10 minute ride (you have many ways to make the connection) to Hempstead Transit Center and see even more!

I'll add that he may want to take the N6x to Hempstead, See all of the routes, then you can take numerous routes to Roosevelt Field.

A little late, but I rode 1858 on the N32 when I went to Far Rock a few weeks ago. Nice ride and all, but damn it was tagged up. Never seen a new MTA bus get tagged like that so fast.

Unfortunately it's hard to blame NICE, that is the fault of the passengers. Unfortunately the amount of gangbanging trash on the buses is increasing. I'm seeing more of this out in Suffolk too, so its a problem islandwide. I really think undercover NCPD should be riding the buses to catch the scum that's doing this. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a brand new bus ruined by a bunch of roaches who have no respect for public property. :angry:

Rode a 3G like this a month or so ago. And I live in Westbury. :o

6355_532901366734984_1221209615_n.jpg

Edited by PinePower

Unfortunately it's hard to blame NICE, that is the fault of the passengers. Unfortunately the amount of gangbanging trash on the buses is increasing. I'm seeing more of this out in Suffolk too, so its a problem islandwide. I really think undercover NCPD should be riding the buses to catch the scum that's doing this. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a brand new bus ruined by a bunch of roaches who have no respect for public property. :angry:

Mangano won't send the cops out on the buses, he probably wants them to look this bad to keep bringing ridership down.