Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Surprised no one mentioned yesterday's delays due to the snowstorm. There was not much NICE could have done to help things, there were a bunch of complaints on the FB page but the delays were terrible. I took the n51 in the photo below from NCC, it was the 2pm trip from RF, didn't arrive in Merrick until 4:45pm! The main reason was due to a backup that stretched all the way from the south lot of NCC to the traffic light at Uniondale Ave and Hempstead Turnpike. A 70 min backup due to that one light! With everyone leaving NCC and their jobs at once, the 20 second green and 2 min wait was too long! The cops should have been out there directing traffic. Despite being late going back later in the evening around 6-7pm things were much better despite worser road conditions.

Buses really dont have a choice but to follow their routes, but for all the lemmings that sit in these backups in their cars, they should know alternate routes! Some n6x's did cut through the parking lot at NCC to avoid the backup. 

1526486_722998301058622_1350043735_n.jpg

Edited by PinePower

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The buses did not have it any better than drivers who could take any way they wanted. The LIE was backed up for miles as was Northern Blvd and just about any other major road in Nassau County. I know someone who sat in traffic for three hours yesterday just trying to get from Roslyn into Queens. The snow creates some unbearable conditions for drivers and makes the roads very unsafe. I don't blame people for driving slow, but there were just so many accidents yesterday. I was driving in the morning, thankfully not during rush hour, and the roads were slippery as anything.

As for the buses and traveling their routes, yes, they should be able to take alternate routes, but not if it skips a stop. That is to say, not even one stop. Cutting through the NCC parking lot shouldn't have skipped any of the stops going though the college.

Yeah no stops were missed on that n6x, it went through the south lot instead of sitting the backup. As for the other routes, there's one or two stops on Earle Ovington so they couldn't do it.

Some bus routes did alternate, but only where possible or truly needed (I remember one road in Glen Cove being skipped due to the fact the road was too slippery even for cars!). But most of 'em stuck to the route and it's a good thing they did IMHO. Nothing is worse than having a long day followed by a long, slow trip through all of the snow only to find out the bus has skipped your stop...

Lots of goodies here...

BTC Presentation 1 http://nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/Nicebus-PDFs/BTC-12-17-2013-Part-1.pptx

Smartphone app, AVL timeline, HTC real time info

BTC Presentation 2 http://nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/Nicebus-PDFs/BTC-12-17-2013-Part-2.pptx

2013 Year in Review

2013Q3 KPI http://nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/Nicebus-PDFs/Third-Quarter-2013-BTC.pdf

I don't have Powerpoint, so I cannot see pptx.

NICE's "contact us" form on their website sucks. Make sure you copy your message before hitting send. if there is any error the form will not submit and will be clear. Also now if you have a complaint you absolutely need the bus number. The drivers need to make people move back. If they don't address these issues their customer satisfaction is going to continue to be LOW.

Even with the GPS Tracking system, what good is knowing where the bus is if it's not going to stop!

Well, if they see on their system that a bus is skipping stops they can always decide to put in an extra bus.

(also, about the copy your message thing: almost everywhere I post something, whether that is a forum or something else, I always copy what I typed before hitting send or post - just to prevent happening what you described: something errors or internet gets flakey and bye-bye message)

Edited by Vistausss

NICE's "contact us" form on their website sucks. Make sure you copy your message before hitting send. if there is any error the form will not submit and will be clear. Also now if you have a complaint you absolutely need the bus number. The drivers need to make people move back. If they don't address these issues their customer satisfaction is going to continue to be LOW.

Even with the GPS Tracking system, what good is knowing where the bus is if it's not going to stop!

I could give you their actual email contact. (I always contact through email)

I saw on NICE Bus twitter, 8:25 n22X Hicksville #1813 that boarded one of Passenger at Roosevelt Field Mall witness female bus operator refusing to give transfer to any passengers.

A bus passed me this morning and there was no one up the stairs! I called to complain and the lady said they couldn't do anything without a bus number.  

That's ridiculous IMHO. Normally, like I'm used to, you can just tell 'em which route it was and what time it (was supposed to) board(ed) from your stop...

Edited by Vistausss

Hate to say it, but somebody might've p*ked... it's disgusting, but it happens...

Yeah, I experienced that a few times over here. People, including me, shove to the front because someone in the back had puked. It didn t really help that in some buses here the walkway b/w the seats is uphill/downhill (depends on if you look at it from the front or the back) so all the puke oozed down to the middle of the bus <_<

But like you said: it happens (unfortanetly)...

Knew it N6 gets slammed why are you surprised. Blame the passengers who are too fat and lazy to move up the steps nothing the driver can do about those Aholes on the bus.

I was not surprised QJ, I was irritated. I just wanted to get on the bus so I could go to work, and being that there was room, I was pissed because I then had to wait for the next one. If the driver doesn't want to make them move back I can enter through the back door. But it's whatever, I'll just leave earlier and aim for the N1

That's ridiculous IMHO. Normally, like I'm used to, you can just tell 'em which route it was and what time it (was supposed to) board(ed) from your stop...

I said I don't have the number but I have the time and driver description. She said "sir we don't go by that". I knew exactly which driver it was.  She said "we don't see the drivers, we can't take a description".  Eventually I said "look, there are only 2 female drivers with hazel eyes, YOU don't have to know who they are the dispatcher knows who they are." She was starting to piss me off. 

... it sounds like you didn't have one of the drivers who gets people to go all the way to the back. Now, even if you did give NICE the bus number, they would pretend to write it down and pretend to do something, but in reality, nothing would be done. They're not going to fire the driver or suspend him, they don't have enough to do that. Welcome to NICE in it's third year!

She's one of those drivers you have to look out for, not the nicest one of them.

Well, if they're not going to do anything about it they cannot expect their customer satisfaction to increase. It's like "ok the bus is on time now, but It doesn't stop". The same thing with the upcoming GPS system, "ok I can meet the bus at the bus stop, but it keeps going, whoop-t do".

Story time!

Last night the QBL was crappy. There was a water main break near the 53rd street tube, all (E) and (M) 's were using the 63rd st line to get to/from Queens. Conga line all the way up 6th Ave. I got tired of sitting at stations and in-between stations. I got off at 42nd st to take the <7>& (7) to at least bypass the bottleneck. I get to Roosevelt Ave, go downstairs, an (E) comes first, I see headlights down the express track so I wait for the (F). It comes, I get on, delays because of "Train Traffic" WTF!   :rolleyes:

We finally get to 169th, just in time for the 21:40 bus to Hempstead. It (Orion V) pulls up with maybe 10 people on board.

Another (F) must have arrived because the boardIng was never-ending. SRO just like that. Get to 179th pick up a few more. Picked up a couple at the "nite stop". Everyone else flagged, n6x in disguise  :P .  

Customer satisfaction for those people? LOW. No one want's to get flagged at night, in the cold, on a route @ 20 min headway.

Edited by N6 Limited