Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but people like to give me pamphlets and junk for some reason. And it's not only religion. Back in Long Island Bus times, some kid gave me a pamphlet at HTC about practicing safe sex. Supposedly there was some committee or clinic or something with discussions in Hempstead in the area. As if I was going to wander into the neighborhood for that.

Probably your facial expression/demeanor..... If you look approachable/intelligent, chances are you'll get targeted....

If you're going to Hemsptead you're almost better off taking the n22 or n24 to Mineola for the n40/41, Franklin Square use the n25 (it runs pretty late), and as for Elmont, take an NYC Bus to the city line and walk the rest. I really don't know why ppl put up with the n6. 

Yeah, for folks coming from RFM or east of it (like you, being in New Cassel Westbury)....

Folks coming from Queens wouldn't bother taking the n22/24 to Mineola for the n40/41 to get to Hempstead....

side note: As an LIRR rider to/from that station, what I will tell you is that you do get a sizable amt. of LIRR commuters in the morning getting off at Mineola for the n40/41..... I'd say a little more so than that of those that want the EB n22/24.... 

As for why people put up w/ the n6? You know it has to do w/ the fact that it's cheaper than the LIRR from Jamaica to Hempstead.

I just take Long Island Railroad to mineola for N40/41

Nothing wrong with that.... But for the purposes of the discussion, is that a regular commute for you, or some isolated fantrip(s) you're referring to.....

(of course we both know it's the latter !)

Not everyone has the money for that. Also, this is the n6 we are talking about.

Yeah, I also thought he brought that up to avert the point/trying to be different..... 

....Every Sunday, there's religious lady gets on n24 bus.

I remember long time ago, n24 bus was crowded and that regious lady was standing, and when I stand up and tap her and ask, "Would you like a seat/"

But instead of saying, she accused me of sexual harassment and "Don't touch me."

I was just being polite. (This was during Long Island Bus day.)

I don't think you were being unreasonable, but on the same token, she had every right to request that you not touch her.....

With that said..... Be careful touching these women whilst out in the streets nowadays...... Everything is damn sexual harassment to them these days (including looking at them... smh) - So much so that a watered down version of the term is increasingly being thrown around for guys that attempt to interact with some woman (even for something as menial as an "excuse me" or whatever), and that term is called Street Harassment (which the term is being misused, but w/e).... ANYthing nowadays to these women out here classifies as that.... 

....except when they're interested in you (which of course this religious lady was not)... Classic case of having their cake & eating it too....

I'll stop here....

The N6 if you can get on is much quicker. Most riders are not riding through to Hempstead

So how is it that so many people take the n6 from Hempstead to Queens? 

I see a lot of "use LIRR" suggestions for some reason when it comes to the n6, here are some reasons why it's not an option for many: (the bullet''s don't seem to be working when posting)
  • -Elmont, Franklin Square and most of West Hempstead does not have LIRR Service
  • -LIRR is more expensive
  •       -Jamaica to Hempstead Branch Stations: $7.25 Peak; $5.25 off peak.
  •       -Manhattan to Hempstead Branch Stations: $11 Peak; $8 off peak
  • -Many people using the N6 are going to/from a location that is walking distance from the bus stop
  • -A lot of riders transfer to other bus routes so using the LIRR just adds an additional cost and possible        inconvenience.
  • -LIRR Hempstead branch is hourly most of the time. It is also not close enough to Hempstead Turnpike to be useful, and if you're going all the way to Hempstead you may still have to use another bus route.(even the Babylon Branch isn't particularly useful as a N4/N19 alternative unless your destination is very close to a station) 
  • -Jamaica LIRR station is not near the Jamaica Bus Terminal or other origin/destination stops (in Jamaica) and so getting to the LIRR may actually be more work
  • -N6 connects to a lot of bus routes (other than the HTC which is across the street from the LIRR Station)

So how is it that so many people take the n6 from Hempstead to Queens? 

What time of day? Evenings? Many are returning from work and college to Eastern Queens (Queens Village area and transfers to Q2, Q110, Q27, Q36, etc) and not all the way to Jamaica, or an area not easily accessible by the LIRR.( Q17, etc)

In the evenings going to Hempstead, the bus is SRO and most likely flagging, but by Elmont Road there is relief. (The peak-peak loading area is between Springfield Blvd and Elmont Road. You know it's bad when some n1's to Jamaica in the morning flag stops on Hempstead Turnpike and it's the supplemental route!)

If there were "many" riding through between Jamaica and Hempstead then the N6x would not have been as empty as it was when it was first created. 

Also, this is something that may go unnoticed if you're just looking at the amount of people on the bus. While a n6 bus that has left Hempstead full may enter Queens full and vice versa, the n6 has a lot of turnover, especially in Elmont. So you may think "wow all those people are going between Hempstead and Queens" when up to 50% or more passengers may have been exchanged during the trip. They will finally see this when the APC system is up and running. 
Edited by N6 Limited

Aren't the letter suffixes on the M14, the avenues they travel down on the Lower East Side? Accordign to the map there's only the M14A and D now

They probably are, but to an outsider it looks very confusing (and I also took into account the former branches btw). Not too mention the former Q44FS and Q44VP... All a lot more confusing than n22/l/x which is actually quite logical IMHO.

I think you mean QM1/QM1A

Eh, no.

Edited by Vistausss

What time of day? Evenings? Many are returning from work and college to Eastern Queens (Queens Village area and transfers to Q2, Q110, Q27, Q36, etc) and not all the way to Jamaica, or an area not easily accessible by the LIRR.( Q17, etc)

In the evenings going to Hempstead, the bus is SRO and most likely flagging, but by Elmont Road there is relief. (The peak-peak loading area is between Springfield Blvd and Elmont Road. You know it's bad when some n1's to Jamaica in the morning flag stops on Hempstead Turnpike and it's the supplemental route!)

If there were "many" riding through between Jamaica and Hempstead then the N6x would not have been as empty as it was when it was first created. 

Also, this is something that may go unnoticed if you're just looking at the amount of people on the bus. While a n6 bus that has left Hempstead full may enter Queens full and vice versa, the n6 has a lot of turnover, especially in Elmont. So you may think "wow all those people are going between Hempstead and Queens" when up to 50% or more passengers may have been exchanged during the trip. They will finally see this when the APC system is up and running. 

...Except I never specified Jamaica, I said "....from Hempstead to Queens".....

Your original comment to me read like many aren't traveling to/from Hempstead..... I'm like, What???

But yeah, Of course all those folks aren't heading to Jamaica; I know how well the n6 is utilized in eastern queens & what (general) passenger distribution exists along Hempstead Tpke...... +1 on the post anyway.... 

Didn't realize you were specifically talking about Jamaica-Hempstead travel in that comment in question.... So now that that's cleared up....

@n6: And regarding Jamaica:

-Jamaica LIRR is a hassle to reach street level and even then at certain times you might not even want to use the street level route

Absolutely is a PITA...

You either walk down all those steps (to end up along Sutphin, short of where the Q25/34/65 layover) & have to deal with the crap along Sutphin there (including hassling ass cab drivers)..... Or you wait to board the elevator that takes forever to come (even though there's only 3 levels & most the time, only 2 of the elevators work) & have 50 million people (a-third of which have luggages or bulky ass bags on their person) waiting to cram on the damn thing..... Quite a bit of tourists tryna reach the subway or w/e.... I can count on one hand, the times I've taken the elevator from LIRR level to subway level..... just getting to the turnstiles at Sutphin subway reminds me of tryna get to the turnstiles at Union Sq (another subway station I abhor trying to enter)....

One of good bus operators who interlines n20 Hicksville and n22 Jamaica, friend told me because with 3 different type of n22, they told me they discountinue n22L because it was confusing.

Ok, so he has a run that consists of operating the 20 & the 22.... We don't really need to know that.....

More to the point, I don't buy that as the reason at all..... With as limited funding that Veolia has to run NICE, if that were the case, they would have never created the thing.....

Aren't the letter suffixes on the M14, the avenues they travel down on the Lower East Side? Accordign to the map there's only the M14A and D now

Yup, on both points

(the av's they travel down & the fact that the 14a & 14d only exists now.... the old 14c got cut in back in the early 2000's....

M14a - turns off 14th @ Av A,

M14c - turned off 14th @ Av C/Loisaida av,

M14d - turns off 14th @ Av D,

Eh, no.

Were you referring to the old BQM1 (which is now the BM5) ?

If not, then I don't know what you were referring to with "QBM..a" No bus ever had that notation in NYC.

...Except I never specified Jamaica, I said "....from Hempstead to Queens".....

Your original comment to me read like many aren't traveling to/from Hempstead..... I'm like, What???

But yeah, Of course all those folks aren't heading to Jamaica; I know how well the n6 is utilized in eastern queens & what (general) passenger distribution exists along Hempstead Tpke...... +1 on the post anyway.... 

Didn't realize you were specifically talking about Jamaica-Hempstead travel in that comment in question.... So now that that's cleared up....

Thanks. I was replying on the comments about " why do people deal with the N6 they should use the LIRR" most people are not going from Jamaica To Hempstead.  Yes, there are riders from Eastern Queens going to Hempstead, but do they want to go out of their way to get to the Hollis or Queens Village LIRR station to wait on an hourly train, pay more money, and still have to transfer? probably not.

@B35: Yes, thank you, I meant the old BQM1.

I don't know, the BQM1 only had one service pattern for the entire day. It only had an extention to Canarsie during rush hours (now discontinued). In between the QM1A and the QBx1, if you didn't know where you were going, those would have to be the most confusing.

Not sure when I mentioned it, but just a quick reminder that you can drop off anything you'd like to see improved on NICE except if it's something that really is handled locally (like scheduling, for example) for me. At the next Transdev meeting, although it's not a NICE specific meeting, I will pass on any ideas to the executives so they can at least take a look at it.

Edited by Vistausss

Not sure when I mentioned it, but just a quick reminder that you can drop off anything you'd like to see improved on NICE except if it's something that really is handled locally (like scheduling, for example) for me. At the next Transdev meeting, although it's not a NICE specific meeting, I will pass on any ideas to the executives so they can at least take a look at it.

Yeah, here's one: make people move back

10:09 n20 Flushing #1761 got stuck on Sanford Avenue when trailer truck with flat bed got stuck on icy snow and also double park illegal truck without USDOT #s caused our driver 40 minutes late (plus Flushing parade detour).

They made mistake with NICE Service Alert and n20 bus stop was moved to Northern Blvd/Main St.

It was so crazy.

As n20 Flushing was going north on Bowne St, n20 riders were looking for bus because previous stop was with Q12 bus.

After that, I helped at Roosevelt Av/Main St to assist passengers with detour.

I helped one elderly disabled lady get to Northern Blvd/Bowne St bus stop.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Maybe I'm asking a stupid question, but is there some page that lists all of the bus stops of NICE routes (particurarly the n6/n20/n22 and other Queens-serving routes)? Because the NICE website only lists timing points but not individual stops and Google Maps is not practical for this.

Edited by Vistausss

10:09 n20 Flushing #1761 got stuck on Sanford Avenue when trailer truck with flat bed got stuck on icy snow and also double park illegal truck without USDOT #s caused our driver 40 minutes late (plus Flushing parade detour).

They made mistake with NICE Service Alert and n20 bus stop was moved to Northern Blvd/Main St.

It was so crazy.

As n20 Flushing was going north on Bowne St, n20 riders were looking for bus because previous stop was with Q12 bus.

After that, I helped at Roosevelt Av/Main St to assist passengers with detour.

I helped one elderly disabled lady get to Northern Blvd/Bowne St bus stop.

If the MTA was still running Long Is Bus,they would have had the N20/21 picking up at Bowne & 41 Ave, like they did in the past. They also would have signage at regular stop directing pass. there.