R68's fleet Questions?

Keon Milton

Unlike the R62's where the lines they run on are generally set, the R68/A's are not that way. I just realized they didn't have them after reading RC's post lol. However I do know why. They are housed only at Concourse and Coney. While sets at CCY are assigned to either the (D) or (B), either can flip to the other easily. 68A's have been spotted on occasion on the (D) (not baseball specials either), and some 68's that run on the (B) have also run on the (D) (the main distinction between the two is that the enablers work on almost every (B) while none of them work on the (D)). At CIY the situation is different. 68/A's while assigned to the (D)(B) down there, are also stored in the same place where (N)(Q) are stored, and can be run on those lines (and often do occasionally whenever there's a 160 shortage). To note, while joined together trackwise, the (F)'s yard is in a different area, that's why 68's generally haven't been spotted over on the Culver.

Over in the IRT, the (1) and (3) run different equipment (the (1)'s have the 62A, the (3) the 62), and that's why in part the strip maps were placed in those equipment types. Over on the (7), until recently, all of its trains also are unique to that line (obviously the most unique part being that LED express/local sign). The 142/A's came with strip maps as they only updated the barns associated with the lines they run on (Livonia or 240th generally cant service a tech train). This theory also applies to the R160's and why they appear on the lines they do (among other reasons which are also valid).

Never seen this one before!

The old cars are referred to as "the Legacy Cars"!

Says "other means" besided copler pins would have to be used, so it sounds like some sort of radio or wireless communication.

(As for the automatic announcements, they once did have a 68 wired for that, in the 90's, on the (Q6Av)).

I would like to have seen them retrofit the 160's with RGB signs (See avatar), and then use the red signs on the 62's and 68's. Notice, all the lines they normally run on are reddish (red, orange, purple, though those will move to a green line. But they already have green LED's in the sign).

I heard they were going to do something like this to the R68s and put them on the (A) or (C), probably the (C) because it still has R32s. I also heard they were supposed to look similar to the R110B side signs.

The (6) got 80 sets of R142As from the (4) so that there can be extra cars for when the the (6) lines R142As get converted now they are starting to get transfered back since the (6) isn't needing it cause its getting all of its R62As back.

Some random guy on the R142A/R188 thread. If this were to happen, even though it is not, the (6) would probably get some of these new R62[A]s.

I have never heard anything about LED interior signs for these new cars, that would be something interesting for me to look into.

Unlike the R62's where the lines they run on are generally set, the R68/A's are not that way. I just realized they didn't have them after reading RC's post lol. However I do know why. They are housed only at Concourse and Coney. While sets at CCY are assigned to either the (D) or (B), either can flip to the other easily. 68A's have been spotted on occasion on the (D) (not baseball specials either), and some 68's that run on the (B) have also run on the (D) (the main distinction between the two is that the enablers work on almost every (B) while none of them work on the (D)). At CIY the situation is different. 68/A's while assigned to the (D)(B) down there, are also stored in the same place where (N)(Q) are stored, and can be run on those lines (and often do occasionally whenever there's a 160 shortage). To note, while joined together trackwise, the (F)'s yard is in a different area, that's why 68's generally haven't been spotted over on the Culver.

Over in the IRT, the (1) and (3) run different equipment (the (1)'s have the 62A, the (3) the 62), and that's why in part the strip maps were placed in those equipment types. Over on the (7), until recently, all of its trains also are unique to that line (obviously the most unique part being that LED express/local sign). The 142/A's came with strip maps as they only updated the barns associated with the lines they run on (Livonia or 240th generally cant service a tech train). This theory also applies to the R160's and why they appear on the lines they do (among other reasons which are also valid).

I have seen (G) trains stored in Culver and are they stored at Coney Island or Culver.

R62A trains coming back to the (6) line? That I would have to see to believe!
By the numbers, it is likely to happen. If it is a direct swap, the (6) is giving up its R142as, and has more trains than the (7), so it won't be 100% R62As. Obviously the (4) could get the R62As, but this is too early to speculate and was talked to death on that thread.

Never seen this one before!

The old cars are referred to as "the Legacy Cars"!

Says "other means" besided copler pins would have to be used, so it sounds like some sort of radio or wireless communication.

(As for the automatic announcements, they once did have a 68 wired for that, in the 90's, on the (Q6Av)).

I would like to have seen them retrofit the 160's with RGB signs (See avatar), and then use the red signs on the 62's and 68's. Notice, all the lines they normally run on are reddish (red, orange, purple, though those will move to a green line. But they already have green LED's in the sign).

But I thought the idea behind staying with the red led was because they were easier to see from far away and in the dark. Blue and green would be harder to see especially since the sign is so small.

By the numbers, it is likely to happen. If it is a direct swap, the (6) is giving up its R142as, and has more trains than the (7), so it won't be 100% R62As. Obviously the (4) could get the R62As, but this is too early to speculate and was talked to death on that thread.

The (4)/<4> had R62s after the (6) for quite a while, and that would be very interesting to see again. They would definitely have to put some LED signs on it, no question.

These old signs are getting kind of outdated. Plus it would be very easy to change the signs whenever possible. I always wondered why the R46 and R110B were the only B Division (Excluding the R143/160) to upgrade to LED signs.

Seeing what is here so far, I can kind of see R62s back on the (6), but for some reason, I am still not for it. However, their best bet would be to take the ones from the (7) because they have the capability to go ( ) or < >.

Guest lance25

The R44s and R46s have LCDs because the wiring was already in the trains from the get go. When they were first delivered in the '70s, their rollsigns were controlled electronically from the cab (i.e., you punch a button and the sign would change in accordance to what you pressed [allegedly]). When the cars were overhauled in the late '80s, it was a relatively simple process of replacing the Mylar rollsigns with the LCD displays.

The R110 cars have LCD displays because they were the prototype cars for the current NTT fleet. They had those displays when they were delivered back in '92.

Also, unless the (MTA) has changed its mind, the R62s and R68s are slated to receive NTT-style interior/exterior displays as part of their midlife overhauls.

But I thought the idea behind staying with the red led was because they were easier to see from far away and in the dark. Blue and green would be harder to see especially since the sign is so small.

THe eye is actually more sensitive to the color blue than red. The downside is that a blue light tends to kill your night vision, unlike a red light (which is why most instrument panels on a plane or new car are illuminated in red). SO, it would not really make much a difference what color you used.

The (4)/<4> had R62s after the (6) for quite a while, and that would be very interesting to see again. They would definitely have to put some LED signs on it, no question.

These old signs are getting kind of outdated. Plus it would be very easy to change the signs whenever possible. I always wondered why the R46 and R110B were the only B Division (Excluding the R143/160) to upgrade to LED signs.

Seeing what is here so far, I can kind of see R62s back on the (6), but for some reason, I am still not for it. However, their best bet would be to take the ones from the (7) because they have the capability to go ( ) or < >.

IIRC, the (6) has more trains than the (4). So even if you sent R62As to the (4) and kick out the NTTs to the (6), there will still be R62As on the (6). Again, too early to say.

R46s uses LCD signs.

Once again, once the (7) get their trains, there is no way to have uniformity among the remainder of the equipment. Either the (6) or (4) will have mixed equipment. Common sense says obviously the (6) gets back those 62A's since they have the LED signs to indicate local and express. I also hope they get a midlife OH before they enter service on the (6).

• 2 weeks later...

That was just that small period of time when there was a chronic shortage of R142 equipment, they took some (3) line equipment out of Livonia and ran it up the east side instead. There usually is a gap train in every yard available for swap.

Archived