LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

I need spell check here because I don't understand the above post.

Face it... The LIRR is a glorified subway... :D:lol:

What is it you don't understand ?? My typing skills on the phone aren't the best but what is it you don't understand about my post . Hey if the LIRR is a glorified subway in your opinion so be it. Edited by LIRR 154

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is it you don't understand ?? My typing skills on the phone aren't the best but what is it you don't understand about my post . 

Still trying to wrap my head around the text below???  :huh:

Alot of text book managers now no more experienced RR which is trying to be phased out. 

Still trying to wrap my head around the text below??? :huh:

Come on now really?? Alot of managers are now learning the job from a book on how to run a RR. No more experienced RR people up top are calling the shots like in the past. Edited by LIRR 154

LIRR42 I know you have a personal gripe with LIRR especially the workers from the other forum.But you have to believe safety is first in any course of operation. I'm not here defending all LIRR foul ups because management make moves during daily operations that make their own employees shake their head. Alot of text book managers now no more experienced RR which is trying to be phased out. Believe they make alot of decisions I don't agree and I feel for the commuters alot . But broken rails is not something to be played around with or even taken lightly. Alot of us don't like when disruptions happened but an instance like broken rails , they rather see disruptions instead of an mass disaster.

I have no personal gripe with anything.  I do not fell that the railroad is currently meeting the expectations that I and a vast majority of the 334,099 other people who pay to take the LIRR daily have.  This is a service people pay money for; this is an organization that a lot of people's tax dollars go to; we have a right to have expectations on how that service should be delivered, a right to have expectations on how we passengers should be treated, and a right to say something when we feel our expectations are not being met. 

But you have to believe safety is first in any course of operation.  But broken rails is not something to be played around with or even taken lightly. Alot of us don't like when disruptions happened but an instance like broken rails , they rather see disruptions instead of an mass disaster.

I do not like the service disruptions that result from broken rails, but do you know what I don't like even more?  Broken rails in the first place.  I don't know if anyone noticed this, but if you don't have any broken rails, you won't have to have any service disruptions to fix the broken rails.

Broken rails are pretty much the exact opposite of safe.  The NTSB found that one of the primary causes of the Bridgeport collision that injured 72 people was a broken rail.  The LIRR has had 17 18 broken rails so far this year; that is 18 possible instances where the LIRR could have had a derailment or collision that was just as bad or worse than the Bridgeport collision.  When broken rails are so frequent on the LIRR and there seems to be nobody willing to look into why they are happening so frequently, it really makes me question whether or not saftey is the top priority...

Wait a minute how do you know nobody is willing to look into why these broken rails are happening. Are you in the track engineering dept because last I look doc you wasn't so stop with the assuming. Around this time of year , broken rails do happened. Instead of complaining on why they are happening , shouldn't you be more relieved that they are caught in the first place. I agree you have your right to gripe and tell your frustrations about the service just like any other tax paying customer, but your different and your agenda is different. Believe me I read your comments in the past in the other forum .

Wait a minute how do you know nobody is willing to look into why these broken rails are happening. Are you in the track engineering dept because last I look doc you wasn't so stop with the assuming. Around this time of year , broken rails do happened. Instead of complaining on why they are happening , shouldn't you be more relieved that they are caught in the first place. I agree you have your right to gripe and tell your frustrations about the service just like any other tax paying customer, but your different and your agenda is different. Believe me I read your comments in the past in the other forum .

There is a difference between looking into why they are happening, and showing their customers that they are investigating this and showing they are looking to improve.  They aren't doing this.  At the February MTA Board LIRR Committee Meeting Nowakowki did not indicate that they were taking a serious look into why so many broken rails were happening.  He did not demonstrate that the LIRR was concerned about this trend and looking to improve.  His attitude was that broken rails are pretty much a consequence of it being cold outside, which is the easy answer. Just chalking things up to the weather is how nothing changes and how nothing improves.

I should not just be happy that they found and fixed an issue before I or other commuters were injured or killed, I should be wondering why on earth the defect happened in the first place...

There is a difference between looking into why they are happening, and showing their customers that they are investigating this and showing they are looking to improve.  They aren't doing this.  At the February MTA Board LIRR Committee Meeting Nowakowki did not indicate that they were taking a serious look into why so many broken rails were happening.  He did not demonstrate that the LIRR was concerned about this trend and looking to improve.  His attitude was that broken rails are pretty much a consequence of it being cold outside, which is the easy answer. Just chalking things up to the weather is how nothing changes and how nothing improves.

I should not just be happy that they found and fixed an issue before I or other commuters were injured or killed, I should be wondering why on earth the defect happened in the first place...

What is there to improve? Broken rails is something all RR deal with in winter and extreme summer months. Same as when city streets become like a haven for pot holes in the winter. Steel with extreme weather doesn't do well especially when you have equipment weighing a ton rolling over it continuously. When you come with steel that is % 100 proof against any element known to man let me know or better yet let the MTA know. Because surely you would become a rich man.

And speaking of trend look up the FRA reports on broken rails and tell me where the LIRR stands compared to other carriers. You would be surprised.

What is there to improve? Broken rails is something all RR deal with in winter and extreme summer months. Same as when city streets become like a haven for pot holes in the winter. Steel with extreme weather doesn't do well especially when you have equipment weighing a ton rolling over it continuously. When you come with steel that is % 100 proof against any element known to man let me know or better yet let the MTA know. Because surely you would become a rich man.

And speaking of trend look up the FRA reports on broken rails and tell me where the LIRR stands compared to other carriers. You would be surprised.

lol... Terrible comparison... NYC has terrible roads in part because the city uses INFERIOR materials to repave roads, which means more potholes and roads that deteriorate much faster.  I think he has some good points.  For what commuters pay, it's a ripoff.  Metro-North even with its accidents over the years is still the superior commuter rail service, which I use regularly.  My only gripe is the lack of seats.

lol... Terrible comparison... NYC has terrible roads in part because the city uses INFERIOR materials to repave roads, which means more potholes and roads that deteriorate much faster.  I think he has some good points.  For what commuters pay, it's a ripoff.  Metro-North even with its accidents over the years is still the superior commuter rail service, which I use regularly.  My only gripe is the lack of seats.

Ah it flew over your head as usual. I mention nothing about repair or material used.I was mentioning what winter time does to city streets to begin with. What other season effects the streets in the city? Its no secret that the DOT repairing methods suck. But this is when they are the most busiest just as the track dept around this time is busy at "all" the carriers. Don't you have a express bus to catch. Lol

Ah it flew over your head as usual. I mention nothing about repair or material used.I was mentioning what winter time does to city streets to begin with. What other season effects the streets in the city? Its no secret that the DOT repairing methods suck. But this is when they are the most busiest just as the track dept around this time is busy at "all" the carriers. Don't you have a express bus to catch. Lol

I mentioned it because it's evident from lirr42's post that he believes that the LIRR's methods aren't effective.

P.S. I caught my express bus already.  ;)

What is there to improve?

This is a question that should be asked seriously, not sarcastically.  And the answer is that there is always something to improve.  Always.  They can start by figuring out a way to not have as many broken rails anymore (it's going to be just as cold next winter...).

When you come with steel that is % 100 proof against any element known to man let me know or better yet let the MTA know. Because surely you would become a rich man.

You don't have to have steel that is 100% unbreakable, you just have to find better manufacturing and installation methods that make it fail less often that it currently does (improving...).  I've looked at the FRA's statistics, and none of the railroads are averaging two broken rails per week.

And past statistics tend to offer little justification for present failures.  If the George Washington Bridge falls into the Hudson River one morning taking a whole bunch of cars with it, "Well, it never failed like that before!" is not going to be an acceptable explanation.  At the end of the day, these are failures that can have serious consequences and should be taken seriously.  From the passengers' point of view, the railroad has not demonstrated that they are committed to taking this seriously...

Perhaps his post flew over your head?  Things that are built with inferior materials or maintained with inferior methods are likely to fail more often.  If the rails the railroad uses aren't being manufactured properly, aren't installed properly, or they aren't being maintained properly, then they are more likely to fail.  If the materials the DOT uses to pave the streets aren't being manufactured properly, aren't being installed properly, or aren't being maintained properly, more potholes will result.

I'll ask against what material shall be used since this steel the LIRR uses is not standard. Also please stop with the tracks not being maintained properly bs. You don't have a clue how the tracks are maintained. If they wasn't maintained well we would be having track issues all year long but we don't do we? What time of year are the most track issues , winter. When do all RR's expect the most track problems, winter. I ask you again what material should be used if the one used now is not up to your standards in the winter time?

Its going to cold next winter and next winter there will be broken rails again. If you have a better idea to maintain the tracks or better materials that can used , tell the commuters committee. They would like to know your method. That's the problem with armchair quarterbacks who think they know it all but don't have a clue. Signal problems I give you that, Equipment problems I give you that also as well as trains that come in a car or two short or even cancelled. But broken rails is a seasonal issue. Its nearly impossible to stop nature from having an effect on any material in extreme weather.

Its going to cold next winter and next winter there will be broken rails again. If you have a better idea to maintain the tracks or better materials that can used , tell the commuters committee. They would like to know your method. That's the problem with armchair quarterbacks who think they know it all but don't have a clue. Signal problems I give you that, Equipment problems I give you that also as well as trains that come in a car or two short or even cancelled. But broken rails is a seasonal issue. Its nearly impossible to stop nature from having an effect on any material in extreme weather.

I'll ask against what material shall be used since this steel the LIRR uses is not standard. Also please stop with the tracks not being maintained properly bs. You don't have a clue how the tracks are maintained. If they wasn't maintained well we would be having track issues all year long but we don't do we? What time of year are the most track issues , winter. When do all RR's expect the most track problems, winter. I ask you again what material should be used if the one used now is not up to your standards in the winter time?

I don't have to know about the specifics as to how the tracks maintained, and I don't have to figure out what material they should be using--I pay the LIRR to do that for me.  All I care about are the results, and the results (≥18 broken rails) are not satisfactory.  Perhaps they should research what materials railroads in Europe and Asia use, since you don't tend to hear too many cases of the cold making more than two thirds of their passengers late to work...

And if track issues were exclusively a thing that happened during the winter, that would be one thing, but they're not.  They happen all year long.  30 seconds of Googling brings up two news articles about broken rails that were found in May and in October, not exactly the height of winter...

Edited by lirr42

Well damn what happened to Metro-North today?!?!

New Haven Line Customers
Delays  Posted: 03/06/2015 10:43AM 

Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Line service is currently experiencing residual delays up to 60 minutes due to earlier disabled trains at Harlem 125th Street and in the Park Avenue Tunnel. Please listen for announcements at your station. 

Multiple disabled trains.

Well damn what happened to Metro-North today?!?!

New Haven Line Customers

Delays  Posted: 03/06/2015 10:43AM 

Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Line service is currently experiencing residual delays up to 60 minutes due to earlier disabled trains at Harlem 125th Street and in the Park Avenue Tunnel. Please listen for announcements at your station. 

This is why I have yet to get a monthly or weekly pass for Metro-North.  I keep my express bus pass and listen to the news before deciding whether to take Metro-North or the express bus.  At the most I would use Metro-North during the morning and that isn't worth getting a weekly or monthly.  This morning I took Metro-North, and may do so tomorrow, then switch to an earlier express bus as needed.

• 2 weeks later...

When was the 2nd track on the West Hempstead Branch eliminated?  I travel under the overpass on Merrick Road a lot and it looked like it has room for 2 tracks, which I was able to confirm when I looked near VALLEY interlocking.  There seem to be pieces of it installed for storage along the way but it's completely gone by the time you get to Malverne.

When was the 2nd track on the West Hempstead Branch eliminated?  I travel under the overpass on Merrick Road a lot and it looked like it has room for 2 tracks, which I was able to confirm when I looked near VALLEY interlocking.  There seem to be pieces of it installed for storage along the way but it's completely gone by the time you get to Malverne.

EDIT:"Hempstead Gardens - Between Mulberry La. and Hempstead Gardens Dr. at Chestnut and Garden Sts. Side platform with one track, although you can see the stub end of a second track looking north towards West Hempstead. No station building. Although the ROW of the West Hempstead branch is wide enough for two tracks, it has always been single tracked between Westwood and Hempstead Gardens."

http://www.lirrhistory.com/whempsta.html

Edited by Union Tpke