LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

On the flip side, one time I saw a pic of an R32 in Metro-North territory.

1gB3GMP.jpg

aVFcHus.jpg

Under riding rail on MNRR like the Market Frankfort on SEPTA?  Didn't the LIRR use R1-R9's as work car /Motorcars at one point?

Edited by RailRunRob

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been using some of the morning peak trains from the city back to Riverdale, and I must say I find it rather annoying that they're so far off schedule.  Every train that I've taken has been 10 minutes late if not more.  Why not just adjust the schedule if several trains are going to be late? The 07:23 and 07:45 both seem to be habitually late out of Grand Central, apparently from train traffic.

Woo hoo, MN's going to get 60 more M8's! And 10 of those cars will be bar cars!!

The unexercised option order was supposed to be 24 cars, but whatever. They'll be needed for Penn service by the time they're delivered anyway so might as well order the 60 cars.

Edited by paulrivera

Woo hoo, MN's going to get 60 more M8's! And 10 of those cars will be bar cars!!

The unexercised option order was supposed to be 24 cars, but whatever. They'll be needed for Penn service by the time they're delivered anyway so might as well order the 60 cars.

Aren't all of those cars for the New Haven Line anyway? I'd be more excited if the cars were spread to the Hudson Line, but that likely isn't happening.  Some of the newer cars need to be rehabbed and the older ones... You know what I would like done with those...  <_< I like the cars on the New Haven Line though they are becoming dirty quite quickly, but at least the seats are nice and they use material that feels like good quality leather as opposed to the strange material that they have on the Hudson Line and Harlem Line trains.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Aren't all of those cars for the New Haven Line anyway? I'd be more excited if the cars were spread to the Hudson Line, but that likely isn't happening.  Some of the newer cars need to be rehabbed and the older ones... You know what I would like done with those...  <_< I like the cars on the New Haven Line though they are becoming dirty quite quickly, but at least the seats are nice and they use material that feels like good quality leather as opposed to the strange material that they have on the Hudson Line and Harlem Line trains.

Don't fret too much, the Metro-North batch of M9's are about 3 years away...

It's an interesting situation though; we'll be getting M9's and another batch of M8's at more or less the same time. All MN needs are some updated push-pull cars and they'll be set for the next 20 years  :lol:

Don't fret too much, the Metro-North batch of M9's are about 3 years away...

It's an interesting situation though; we'll be getting M9's and another batch of M8's at more or less the same time. All MN needs are some updated push-pull cars and they'll be set for the next 20 years  :lol:

That's good to know... We need new cars and more quiet cars. Always some brat making a ton of noise on the train unless it's a peak hour train. I always get the last two cars and they are quiet.

Well having a monthly MNRR pass has been fantastic, especially for trips from 125th to GCT and vice versa.  Used it this weekend... Walked over to the station, got a ticket for the other person I was with, and we were in GCT in 10 minutes.  No beggars, panhandlers, etc.  Conductor checked my Riverdale-GCT pass and took the City Ticket.  The person I was with loved it, and couldn't believe it was just one stop to Grand Central.  Not only that but they hate taking the subway as I do, so they liked MNRR even more for that reason. lol

• 2 weeks later...

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=163642

Metro-North's M7A are in the process of receiving PTC. It also means that they are being sent, in small batches, to the Long Island Rail Road's Arch Street Shop via the Hell Gate bridge.

Those are the ones that run on the Harlem and Hudson lines correct?  I've been wondering why they've been sending out the older cars. We had one last week during the morning rush, and I was NOT pleased to see it.  They are usually out on the weekends, especially the semi-express trains that I get.

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=163642

Metro-North's M7A are in the process of receiving PTC. It also means that they are being sent, in small batches, to the Long Island Rail Road's Arch Street Shop via the Hell Gate bridge.

Wow! Rare cooperation between the two railroads!

How will that effect scheduling? They already go to a crawl.

Outbound, I have no idea.

Inbound, they'll probably add a minute or two (maybe 3, who knows?) to the next round of schedules. Plus, since the Fairfield train crash and the Spuyten Duyvil derailment, they have a procedure in place where the speed limit changes can't exceed 20mph at a time (the speed limit doesn't go from 60 or 45 straight to 10, it would go something like 60-45-30-15-10, i dont know for sure). Those also need to be moved a 1/4 mile up.

I got burned by that when I went up there in 2014. I wasn't expecting to pay $5 extra, especially when I was in a rush. But looking back, I am not surprised. There is a good number of people reverse-commuting.

Edited by GojiMet86

Kinda wish the MNR would be like that, but no going to New Haven during the Am rush is considered peak. 

And it should be.  Service is more frequent as a result.  The only thing I would like to see is higher fares for the people traveling from the South Bronx to Westchester.  They get the benefit of frequent service at dirt cheap fares, while we who get on in Manhattan pay exorbitant fares.  I usually have a pass these days but still.  

And it should be.  Service is more frequent as a result.  The only thing I would like to see is higher fares for the people traveling from the South Bronx to Westchester.  They get the benefit of frequent service at dirt cheap fares, while we who get on in Manhattan pay exorbitant fares.  I usually have a pass these days but still.  

while I don't agree with you for raising the prices, (a topic for another day) I do find it weird that they have such cheap fares while the LIRR equivalent cost at least $2 more.