LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: is loud conversation and oversharing in public also prevalent on Metro-North, or is this a specifically Long Island thing?

Depends on the car... Overall Metro-North trains are civilized, especially the peak hour trains.  For the weekends, what I do is take the semi-express trains that skip all Bronx stops save Marble Hill.  Those will have more people on it from Westchester and Riverdale and will be more civilized, as they don't stop in the South Bronx.  The reverse trains during the mornings tend to have ghetto folks riding and they have to be reminded about being quiet if they're in a quiet car.  <_< One of the reasons I favor raising the intermediate fare.  

Overall if I had my choice I'd take Metro-North any day over the LIRR.  The LIRR is like a more expensive subway.  The Hudson Line is the best.  The Harlem line can be far too crowded with tourists and such which can lead to it being loud, and the New Haven line... The express trains that skip Fordham tend to be more civilized than anything else.  The people getting on at Fordham are something else... Pushing and shoving like they've never been on a train before like savages.   

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Depends on the car... Overall Metro-North trains are civilized, especially the peak hour trains.  For the weekends, what I do is take the semi-express trains that skip all Bronx stops save Marble Hill.  Those will have more people on it from Westchester and Riverdale and will be more civilized, as they don't stop in the South Bronx.  The reverse trains during the mornings tend to have ghetto folks riding and they have to be reminded about being quiet if they're in a quiet car.  <_< One of the reasons I favor raising the intermediate fare.  

Overall if I had my choice I'd take Metro-North any day over the LIRR.  The LIRR is like a more expensive subway.  The Hudson Line is the best.  The Harlem line can be far too crowded with tourists and such which can lead to it being loud, and the New Haven line... The express trains that skip Fordham tend to be more civilized than anything else.  The people getting on at Fordham are something else... Pushing and shoving like they've never been on a train before like savages.   

People in Fordham need to walk to the front of the train. The MNR riders are generally civilized. I rode it at 10PM and it wasn't very loud, the LIRR on the other hand......I could ride it at 12 Noon and it still will be people drunk and loud heading to Penn

People in Fordham need to walk to the front of the train. The MNR riders are generally civilized. I rode it at 10PM and it wasn't very loud, the LIRR on the other hand......I could ride it at 12 Noon and it still will be people drunk and loud heading to Penn

That's because the LIRR's clientele consists of boorish suburbanites who think that they should be screaming dinner table conversations on the train. Money doesn't buy class.

The people getting on at Fordham are something else... Pushing and shoving like they've never been on a train before like savages.   

Oh, what you see is nothing. Ride on a midday Stamford local in the summer when people are going to Rye Playland.

People in Fordham need to walk to the front of the train.

Yeah, that's why they widened the damn platform in the first place, so that all those people can spread out.

A lot of them do, but there's still people that crowd into the middle cars of the train... even at 6AM!!

Oh, what you see is nothing. Ride on a midday Stamford local in the summer when people are going to Rye Playland.

Yeah, that's why they widened the damn platform in the first place, so that all those people can spread out.

A lot of them do, but there's still people that crowd into the middle cars of the train... even at 6AM!!

I try to work around that by taking express trains as much as possible.  They really need to add service on the Harlem line on weekends.  The crowds are ridiculous.  If they're going to market Botanical Garden the way they do then have enough trains to get people to and from.  People standing all over the place, and there's barely enough room for folks to get off.  Now with Melrose and Tremont getting hourly service on weekends, I expect crowding to worsen.

LIRR atmosphere and MNR atmosphere is so different. I've never been on a PW train that was quiet. But most MNR trains I've been on were pretty quiet, with the exclusion to one train I took during a Yankees game. 

LIRR atmosphere and MNR atmosphere is so different. I've never been on a PW train that was quiet. But most MNR trains I've been on were pretty quiet, with the exclusion to one train I took during a Yankees game. 

The Yankees game trains... Forget it... The most obnoxious people... I also hate that they make the express trains stop there too because they become insanely crowded.  They would be better off having special trains just pick up the passengers there.  

While we're talking about the MNRR and the LIRR, something that has been happening of late has become an annoyance.  Some of these guys checking tickets are not doing their jobs.  I flash my pass to the first person and they don't punch the zone I'm going to and put it on my chair, so then the next guy comes yet again asking for my ticket less than five minutes later.  The next time it happens I'm not showing my pass and I'm going to file a complaint because they're supposed to be checking the tickets accordingly instead of BSing and chit chatting.  I had two workers just standing near me talking endlessly about utter nonsense. I was tempted to move but stayed where I was.  Completely inappropriate. I filed a complaint.

While we're talking about the MNRR and the LIRR, something that has been happening of late has become an annoyance. Some of these guys checking tickets are not doing their jobs. I flash my pass to the first person and they don't punch the zone I'm going to and put it on my chair, so then the next guy comes yet again asking for my ticket less than five minutes later. The next time it happens I'm not showing my pass and I'm going to file a complaint because they're supposed to be checking the tickets accordingly instead of BSing and chit chatting. I had two workers just standing near me talking endlessly about utter nonsense. I was tempted to move but stayed where I was. Completely inappropriate. I filed a complaint.

CEXQ-v2UUAEfPHW.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

It seems to be easy to evade fares these days with these BS MTA workers. If fate evasion is up I wouldn't be surprised frankly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree.  What annoys me is I see people get on the train and hide in the bathroom to avoid paying, and then the folks with passes, we get hounded because the ticket collectors are too damn lazy to use seat checks like they're supposed to.  Once I take my pass out of my wallet and show it, I expect to be left alone for the rest of the ride, but this has happened to me several times where the first person that checked knows I'm a regular and doesn't bother with a seat check, and then their colleague comes along a few minutes later after I have put my wallet away asking for tickets yet again, and they use seat checks. There's a ton of inconsistency across the board.  

I think the LIRR should get rid of Zone 3and make everything in NYC Zone 1. This will give the people less incentive to transfer at Jamaica to the subway. It will also allow Eastern Queens rider to have a cheaper Fare and faster commute. However I do believe that The Zone 1 fare should be reduced a bit.