LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Sorry for the double post but i already received an email reply. Can someone translate this for us non-employees?

"Thank your contacting Metro-North regarding your experience at the Fordham Station while waiting for the arrival of the 6:07 AM train to New Haven. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Providing the best possible service to all customers is very important to Metro-North, and we take extremely seriously the concerns you raise. Operating in accordance with our schedules is important to us and we make every effort to run trains on time, and make all scheduled stops, and we follow up thoroughly on any lapses in these key areas.

The Transportation Department is aware of the 6:07 PM (sic) train bypassing Fordham Station. The train crew will be re-instructed and disciplinary action will follow.

Again, we regret any inconvenience this incident caused you."

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the double post but i already received an email reply. Can someone translate this for us non-employees?

"Thank your contacting Metro-North regarding your experience at the Fordham Station while waiting for the arrival of the 6:07 AM train to New Haven. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Providing the best possible service to all customers is very important to Metro-North, and we take extremely seriously the concerns you raise. Operating in accordance with our schedules is important to us and we make every effort to run trains on time, and make all scheduled stops, and we follow up thoroughly on any lapses in these key areas.

The Transportation Department is aware of the 6:07 PM (sic) train bypassing Fordham Station. The train crew will be re-instructed and disciplinary action will follow.

Again, we regret any inconvenience this incident caused you."

I don't think this is a canned response at all.  It's actually quite specific to your complaint.  Metro-North tends to follow up quickly to complaints (the responses are usually short and to the point) and they DO speak with the employees.  I've only made a few complaints about Metro-North (mainly pertaining to the Hudson Rail Link being MIA and they actually sent out a supervisor the next day to ensure that the bus came promptly), but for the other incidents specific to the railroad they have been responsive.  

One of the most egregious incidents I witnessed was Metro-North cleaning crew hosing down the entire Spuyten Duyvil station while we were trying to catch a rush hour train to GCT.   The entire station was literally flooded with water and the steps leading to the platform were so drenched that water was leaking from above onto the platform, and the cleaning crew had the nerve to tell us to hold on and not to walk too fast.  Meanwhile our train was due in mere minutes.   <_<   We had to all carefully walk down the stairs to avoid slipping because of the amount of water.  This was on a dry day and I was not at all pleased to have to walk through tons of water in suede driving shoes.  I saw women walking in high heels that were equally annoyed.  It was a nice warm day out, and everyone was dressed going to work.  I haven't witnessed that since.  In your case, I would say be sure to keep that response and file another complaint should this happen again.     

To add onto what VG8 said, nearly all customer help desks across all companies will used canned responses and edit/add to them as necessary, because they generally want to speak with one, professional-sounding and PR-friendly voice across all representatives. Since they specifically addressed the train and the issue with which you were talking about it's safe to say that this didn't just get junked in the trash.

To add onto what VG8 said, nearly all customer help desks across all companies will used canned responses and edit/add to them as necessary, because they generally want to speak with one, professional-sounding and PR-friendly voice across all representatives. Since they specifically addressed the train and the issue with which you were talking about it's safe to say that this didn't just get junked in the trash.

Usually they respond to you in a few weeks and say something along these lines " Thank You for your suggestion/compliant we will notify the proper department regarding this incident". So it is probably a very serious incident. Edited by Mtatransit

Usually they respond to you in a few weeks and say something along these lines " Thank You for your suggestion/compliant we will notify the proper department regarding this incident". So it is probably a very serious incident.

Yeah, im surprised I got a non-stock answer but I'm *even more* surprised I got a response the same day. It implies that my complaint was escalated up the chain of command (that's just my guess)

I find their response somewhat suspect, given that they should be able to see the train/stops made in-real-time (hopefully) via their systems.  Cameras at the station, maybe, to back up your complaint?

Not trying to throw cold water on this, but even though MNRR may be more of a "priority" in terms of customer satisfaction, it's still the MTA, after all.

Edited by DetSMART45

I find their response somewhat suspect, given that they should be able to see the train/stops made in-real-time (hopefully) via their systems.  Cameras at the station, maybe, to back up your complaint?

Not trying to throw cold water on this, but even though MNRR may be more of a "priority" in terms of customer satisfaction, it's still the MTA, after all.

Yeah, im surprised I got a non-stock answer but I'm *even more* surprised I got a response the same day. It implies that my complaint was escalated up the chain of command (that's just my guess)

I think part of the "generic" answers comes from the (MTA) wanting to get complaints resolved faster.  I get the impression that there's a high volume of them, and having to write specific responses takes A LOT of time.  For example, I filed three complaints last week alone for three separate incidents.  I received responses for all three the same day.  I don't care about the generic answers.  What's important to me is that the situation is addressed, and I usually can tell when it has been.  What I will say about all of this is the workers get pissed when passengers file complaints, but some of the nonsense that occurs could easily be avoided.  For whatever reason, there's just too much carelessness.

There has been talk that workers aren't being trained enough, and maybe that is the problem.  From my point of view, I think some of the onus lies with the workers.  I mean it's your responsibility to know what stops you're supposed to make, and I don't think bypassing stops should be excused.  It should be taken very seriously, especially when you consider how little service some stations receive.  Additionally, the (MTA) makes it very clear that certain behavior is deemed unprofessional, yet some do it anyway to test the waters.  What I am happy to see is the public working to make the workers more accountable and ensuring that they receive better service.  We're paying too much money to expect anything less, especially with the constant fare hikes.  I serve clients as well and I could never provide the kind of customer service that some workers give.   

I think part of the "generic" answers comes from the (MTA) wanting to get complaints resolved faster.  I get the impression that there's a high volume of them, and having to write specific responses takes A LOT of time.

Like I said, this is a general help desk thing (as I have worked at one at my university), not anything MTA specific. If you were to talk to the help desks of, I don't know, Comcast, ConEd, H&M, or Chase (just a few diverse examples), they would basically all write edited canned responses, or say them verbally. Creating a general canned response is just less mentally taxing on people who have to respond to a large amount of complaints and inquiries per day, and lessens the chance of someone accidentally saying something incorrect when responding to a customer.

Like I said, this is a general help desk thing (as I have worked at one at my university), not anything MTA specific. If you were to talk to the help desks of, I don't know, Comcast, ConEd, H&M, or Chase (just a few diverse examples), they would basically all write edited canned responses, or say them verbally. Creating a general canned response is just less mentally taxing on people who have to respond to a large amount of complaints and inquiries per day, and lessens the chance of someone accidentally saying something incorrect when responding to a customer.

That also... Of course it isn't an (MTA) specific thing.

Based on this:

"The Transportation Department is aware of the 6:07 PM (sic) train bypassing Fordham Station. The train crew will be re-instructed and disciplinary action will follow."

This is a train traveling at rush hour. I highly doubt that they have automatic detection of when trains are going to stop where, and if they're relying on human inspection of some sort of general system map of where all the trains are all the time finding a train missing a single stop during the peak of rush hour is looking for a needle in a haystack.

There is also the possibility that they actually knew about this, and the wheels of disputes between management and union workers is grinding slowly (as it always does in this state).

Plus, having written responses acknowledge your complaint is a great way of having a chain of further accountability if this doesn't get fixed and you decide to doggedly pursue this up the chain.

Edited by bobtehpanda

Based on this:

"The Transportation Department is aware of the 6:07 PM (sic) train bypassing Fordham Station. The train crew will be re-instructed and disciplinary action will follow."

This is a train traveling at rush hour. I highly doubt that they have automatic detection of when trains are going to stop where, and if they're relying on human inspection of some sort of general system map of where all the trains are all the time finding a train missing a single stop during the peak of rush hour is looking for a needle in a haystack.

There is also the possibility that they actually knew about this, and the wheels of disputes between management and union workers is grinding slowly (as it always does in this state).

Plus, having written responses acknowledge your complaint is a great way of having a chain of further accountability if this doesn't get fixed and you decide to doggedly pursue this up the chain.

I don't know about the dispatchers, but the customer service reps do have a map and I believe each rep can zoom in and out to see each train and its associated info. The problem is that if the train goes up the correct track but blows past the station it does show up on their end as the train having stopped. I had quite the argument with the first rep (a general rep, since the complaint department doesn't open until 7am) as she was insisting that the train had "stopped" at 6:08. The second rep I spoke with when I got to Stamford (at the proper department) also said the train showed as "stopped at 6:08" on her end, but after asking me some details about what the train was doing (I said the train tooted the horn, had the "NH-State St" signs on, and simply kept going) and how many other times this has happened (I said this was about the 3rd time) she did forward my complaint over to whatever department it needed to go to.

Fordham has plenty of cameras now since the rehab, so all they have to do (if they haven't already) is look at the tape. They might see a guy with his eyes and mouth wide open at 6:08 and throwing quite the fit on the phone between about 6:09 and 6:16 too  :lol: .

The part where I only had 4 minutes to run from track 14 all the way to the bus stop on Union Avenue with luggage and a broken escalator however.... Not f**king funny :angry: .

Edited by paulrivera

Very strange. This is on the official MTA website about service changes for the holidays

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/christmas.htm

One section reads:

"And as an added bonus, this year New Year's Day is observed on Monday, January 2. Since businesses and government offices are closed we will operate a Saturday schedule without the Shoppers Specials. (Because if you haven’t purchased that holiday gift for that special someone by then, you will never need to again.)"

I just think that is so hilarious. Keep it up mta.

Very strange. This is on the official MTA website about service changes for the holidays

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/christmas.htm

One section reads:

"And as an added bonus, this year New Year's Day is observed on Monday, January 2. Since businesses and government offices are closed we will operate a Saturday schedule without the Shoppers Specials. (Because if you haven’t purchased that holiday gift for that special someone by then, you will never need to again.)"

I just think that is so hilarious. Keep it up mta.

Seems like they have a new PR rep.

Also going back to the other topic, I'm really surprised that a train would skip a station. That's pretty much unheard of in LIRR territory, trains will stop regardless of whether or not people are there. Also with the seat checks are you sure there are always given out? I have never seen them used being used on PW trains, nor did I get one on the few times I've used the MNR so do you know what the rules are for actually give out seat checks? I want to know especially since I almost never get my ticket back from the conductors.

Seems like they have a new PR rep.

Also going back to the other topic, I'm really surprised that a train would skip a station. That's pretty much unheard of in LIRR territory, trains will stop regardless of whether or not people are there. Also with the seat checks are you sure there are always given out? I have never seen them used being used on PW trains, nor did I get one on the few times I've used the MNR so do you know what the rules are for actually give out seat checks? I want to know especially since I almost never get my ticket back from the conductors.

LIRR had 2 incidents where it skipped station I believe one at Wyandanch and one at Westbury, the engineer either overshot the station or just forgot. Seat Checks are given and taken randomly at the sole discretion of the conductor I believe.

LIRR had 2 incidents where it skipped station I believe one at Wyandanch and one at Westbury, the engineer either overshot the station or just forgot. Seat Checks are given and taken randomly at the sole discretion of the conductor I believe.

AFAIK only one MN incident made the paper, and that was a few years ago when a PM peak train skipped a scheduled stop at Westport and didn't stop until its next scheduled stop at Fairfield.

Several (at least 10+) years ago I also had the 8:20 New Haven train skip Fordham on a Saturday because of engineer stupidity. The trains have skipped me a handful of times over the years, but only twice has it been because the engineer went rogue. One time it was bad dispatching and a few other times it was because the equipment train broke down overnight.

I think MN does battery runs city-bound sometimes too when the trains are late enough, especially in the morning.

AFAIK only one MN incident made the paper, and that was a few years ago when a PM peak train skipped a scheduled stop at Westport and didn't stop until its next scheduled stop at Fairfield.

Several (at least 10+) years ago I also had the 8:20 New Haven train skip Fordham on a Saturday because of engineer stupidity. The trains have skipped me a handful of times over the years, but only twice has it been because the engineer went rogue. One time it was bad dispatching and a few other times it was because the equipment train broke down overnight.

I think MN does battery runs city-bound sometimes too when the trains are late enough, especially in the morning.

But in that case the passengers would(Should) be informed.

Anyone know if the LIRR plans to replace its diesel or double deck fleet any time soon?

Also, has the LIRR ever considered double deck EMUs? Here's an example from Sydney.

Sydney_Trains_H_set_(Oscar)_at_Central_S

The MTA should really look into getting double decker EMU's Especially in the AM peak they would be helpful when 2 or more train terminate at Jamaica and everyone piles to the one train going to Penn

LIRR Service Advisory for PM Rush Hour of Wednesday, January 11, 2017
Broken Rail Outside of One of Amtrak’s East River Tunnels

MTA Long Island Rail Road is advising customers to expect train cancelations and delays during today’s afternoon rush hour while Amtrak crews work to repair a broken rail found outside one of Amtrak’s East River Tunnels. Personnel are on the site of the broken rail but do not expect to have repairs completed by the start of the afternoon rush hour.

New York City Transit is cross-honoring LIRR tickets on the e.png subway line at Jamaica (Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av), Kew Gardens (Union Tpke) and Forest Hills (71st Av) stops. At Woodside, NYC Transit is cross-honoring LIRR tickets on the 7.png line (Woodside-61st St).

Eastbound Service from Penn Station

Between 4:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m., 13 trains will be canceled. For each of these trains, customers will be able to take another train leaving within 5 to 10 minutes of the departure times of the canceled train that will have the added stops of the canceled train. A list of the affected trains is below, by branch:

Babylon Branch

• The 4:34 p.m. train from Penn due Babylon at 5:39 p.m. is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 4:37 p.m. train from Penn due Wantagh at 5:27 p.m., stopping at Rockville Centre and all local stops to Babylon.
  • The 4:57 p.m. train from Penn due Wantagh at 5:42 p.m. is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:03 p.m. train from Penn due Freeport at 5:46 p.m., stopping at Rockville Centre, Baldwin, Freeport, Merrick, Bellmore and Wantagh.
  • The 5:19 p.m. train from Penn due Wantagh at 6:06 p.m. is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:24 p.m. train from Penn due Freeport at 6:10 p.m., stopping at Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica, Rockville Centre and all local stops to Wantagh.
  • The 5:40 p.m. train from Penn due Seaford at 6:30 p.m. is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:47 p.m. train from Penn due Freeport at 6:31 p.m., stopping at Rockville Centre and all local stops to Seaford.
  • The 6:05 p.m. train from Penn due Wantagh at 6:51 p.m. is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 6:10 p.m. train from Penn due Freeport at 6:54 p.m., stopping at Rockville Centre and all local stops to Wantagh.

Long Beach Branch

• The 4:40 p.m. train from Penn due Long Beach at 5:37 p.m. is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:00 p.m. train from Penn due Long Beach 5:55 p.m., stopping at Jamaica, Locust Manor and all local stops to Long Beach.

Port Jefferson Branch

• The 6:30 p.m. train from Penn due Huntington at 7:32 p.m. is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 6:35 p.m. train from Penn due Hicksville at 7:22 p.m., stopping at Jamaica, New Hyde Park and all local stops to Huntington.

Port Washington Branch

• The 4:22 p.m. train from Penn due Port Washington at 4:58 p.m. is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 4:25 p.m. train from Penn due Great Neck at 5:02 p.m., stopping at Woodside and all local stops to Port Washington except Mets-Willets Point.
  • The 4:43 p.m. train from Penn due Port Washington at 5:21 p.m. is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 4:46 p.m. train from Penn due Great Neck at 5:23 p.m., stopping at Woodside and all local stops to Port Washington except Mets-Willets Point.
  • The 5:11 p.m. train from Penn due Port Washington at 5:47 p.m. is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:14 p.m. train from Penn due Great Neck at 5:45 p.m., stopping at Bayside and all local stops to Port Washington except Mets-Willets Point.
  • The 5:26 p.m. train from Penn due Port Washington at 6:04 p.m. is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:29 p.m. train from Penn due Great Neck at 6:05 p.m., stopping at Woodside and all local stops to Port Washington except Mets-Willets Point.
  • The 5:50 p.m. train from Penn due Great Neck at 6:19 p.m. is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:56 p.m. train from Penn due Great Neck at 6:31 p.m., stopping at Woodside and all local stops to Great Neck except Mets-Willets Point.
  • The 6:11 p.m. train from Penn due Port Washington at 6:48 p.m. is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 6:14 p.m. train from Penn due Great Neck at 6:49 p.m., stopping at Woodside and all local stops to Port Washington except Mets-Willets Point.

Westbound Service to Penn Station

Starting at 4:30 p.m., Penn Station-bound trains will be terminated at Jamaica, where LIRR customers can transfer to the New York City Subway’s e.png train for continuing service to Penn Station. New York City Transit will cross-honor LIRR tickets at Jamaica. As an alternative for service to Penn Station, customers can ride the LIRR to Atlantic Terminal, Brooklyn, to connect with the Manhattan-bound 2.png/3.png lines. New York City Transit will also cross-honor LIRR tickets this evening at Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center.

Port Washington Branch trains will terminate at Woodside, where customers can continue to Manhattan by transferring to the New York City Subway’s 7.png train. New York City Transit will cross-honor LIRR tickets this evening at 61st Street-Woodside.

East River Tunnels

Amtrak’s East River Tunnels connect between Penn Station and the Sunnyside Yards area in Long Island City, Queens. They are used by all Long Island Rail Road trains to and from Penn Station, as well as Amtrak trains to and from New England, and out-of-service NJ Transit trains headed to or from Sunnyside Yard.

http://www.mta.info/press-release/lirr/lirr-service-advisory-pm-rush-hour-wednesday-january-11-2017

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl